Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• supaclive said:
    Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!
    Kanu has done more this season than Tedic - he's been very good in our games.   The only positive thing to say right now- oh and Hector has pulled his finger out his arse too it appears!

Meh
    The reason he took May and CBT off was to make sure they stayed fit. Think about this side without either player for the next ten games, Kanu would be our only forward and an out of form Tyreece Campbell would replace CBT. 
    No point in being a fortune teller and losing 2 points at the same time!
    I'd rather drop two points today than be without those two players for any length of time. I also think that the two goals conceded were down to a defensive error from the corner and a poor call by the ref. Have a look at our games over the Christmas period and ask yourself can we risk it ? We were two nil up and yes anything can happen in a game, but he made a call, it wasn't his fault for the two goals conceded. 
  • Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!
    Kanu has done more this season than Tedic - he's been very good in our games.   The only positive thing to say right now- oh and Hector has pulled his finger out his arse too it appears!

Meh
    The reason he took May and CBT off was to make sure they stayed fit. Think about this side without either player for the next ten games, Kanu would be our only forward and an out of form Tyreece Campbell would replace CBT. 
    CBT took a knock and Fraser signalled to the bench that he needed to be changed. 

Why he bought on TC and not LW I can’t work out. 

May off was a change in formation. He wanted another defender on to see it out. He had replaced all of the other forwards apart from May. So he complains about having no experienced players on the pitch to waste time and he brings off one of our most experienced.

Exactly this....down to Appleton that losing 2 points
  • Throughout the first half our passing had been slow and careful, turgid indeed when we needed to get it forward quicker.

That though was EXACTLY we should have played the 8 added minutes. Keep possession, and make Cambridge try and win the ball back. Instead we started hoofing it forward, and playing low percentage forward passes into the channels, giving the ball away. And with the massive gap between the 3 kids up front and the rest of the team, Cambridge were able to regularly break at pace.
  • Apples selections starting to worry me now

Im sure he will get to the end of the season but the chances of getting the 6 players we need in January are zero so he looks the type to get pissed off and lose the dressing room, if it hasn’t already happened 

We nearly threw a 3-0 lead away at Wigan, this team is spineless 
  • Applescore: 3 (purely down to subs made)
    AMB: 6 (not a whole lot he could change)
    T.WATSON: 6.5 (felt he had a decent game)
    HECTOR: 7 (couple of comms errors but sound otherwise)
    THOMAS: 6 (done his job for the most part)
    EDUN: 6 (looking back, the challenge was outside the box, sound going forward otherwise)
    DOBSON: 4.5 (hate it but the skipper showed a shitter today, some very misplaced passing)
    FRASER:  6 (looked okay for the most part)
    C.CAMPBELL: 7 (first half was very meh, came out of his shell second half and was very good) 
    RYLAH: 2 (nothing on the kid, just very unwise to start, improvement needed)
    MAY: 7 (in the right spaces, doing what he's supposed to)
    CBT: 7 (very quiet first half, showed his prowess second half)
    KANU: 8 (absolute game changer and burst of pace coming onto the pitch, would hate to think what would've happened otherwise)
    Referee: 3 (Lots of people will give him a higher mark, *as he gave plenty our way*, however i felt the officiating for this game was awful)

Copied from player marks as I am lazy but overall thought we were awful first half, must have got a bolocking in the changing rooms. Second half we saw a completely different team, switched off and it cost us unfortunately. As shit as it is looking at the penalty that was given (outside the box), we were unlucky.
  • Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!

Meh
    No point in being a fortune teller and losing 2 points at the same time!
    I'd rather drop two points today than be without those two players for any length of time. I also think that the two goals conceded were down to a defensive error from the corner and a poor call by the ref. Have a look at our games over the Christmas period and ask yourself can we risk it ? We were two nil up and yes anything can happen in a game, but he made a call, it wasn't his fault for the two goals conceded. 
    2=1 when May went off….3 minutes to go….there’s some logic there 
  • Why do managers make changes when you can see a game out without doing so.Taking off May and CBT and going defensive,just gave them the initiative.Thought ref had a good game until I saw the penalty decision later,that was poor.
    To be fair we could have been 2 down at half time,every time they got a corner they won the header,so the law of averages said that was how they would score.
    It is a shame,Hector and Thomas defended for the most part quite well.
  • Valley11 said:
    Not a fan of Appleton. Haven’t been since he was appointed. I know changing the manager is pointless but he feels like the very pinnacle of what we are now. Beige and going through the motions. 
    I’d make a change now and try and convince Rowett it’s worth a go. 
    SE7 would have to dismantle the budget to bring Rowett in, that is not happening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Subs were made with us 2-0 to the good, think we probably thought, incorrectly as it turned out, they could see it out without May and CBT..now does that fall onto Apples entirely, not convinced myself, think starting with Rylah, which he agreed was perhaps wrong, was a mistake as it turned out...
    Apples looked emotionally drained on the post match interview, and think he feels like he is walking blindly to January, having to work with the kids and walking injured, hoping that the board can come up with the funds to actually give him some experience in the squad, 'cause if not we are absolutely fu*ked...
  • Points chucked away due to Apples poor substitutions and another shit ref.

Decided to have a break from watching live it’s just too depressing, shit manager, shit players, shit referees and not allowed to have a shit in the ground.
    Eh? Is there a swarm of sandflies in the toilets?
  • edited December 2023
    Points chucked away due to Apples poor substitutions and another shit ref.

Decided to have a break from watching live it’s just too depressing, shit manager, shit players, shit referees and not allowed to have a shit in the ground.
    Eh? Is there a swarm of sandflies in the toilets?
    Water was cut off apparently, not paid the bill……only jesting before rumours abound that we’re skint 😉
  • Couldn’t watch the match but sounds like we were poor. What I have seen is our goals (both quite good to be fair) and Appletons post match interview which concerned me. I get his point about the naivety of the young squad but surely ripping into them that publicly is only going to harm them. Seems like whatever group of players we have there’s no fight, no battle and no leadership and managers get fed up. At this rate I’ll be surprised if Appleton is here at the end of the season as things seem to be rapidly declining. January is too far away to be clinging on for hope but I don’t know how the mentality changes without senior pros coming in 
  • Was t one of the reasons for choosing apples these he worked well with young players. Not seen much evidence of this so far - ours are getting worse 
  • Can't believe we've drawn that. Until they scored I honestly think that's the best I've seen our back line defend for a while. Pen wasn't a pen so big shame we've not seen that out. Honestly though we have no chance of the playoffs unless a miracle happens in January.
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    Corey Blackett-Taylor was roasting them for five minutes at the end there and we were pushing for the third. Then we made the changes and just let them back into it. All youngsters thrown into the fire together. What’s Louie Watson done to be left out? Appleton’s got to take responsibility for not seeing the game out and taking all three points. 
    Agreed - first half was crap but you accept given our striker shortages that apples has a game plan to contain first half then put kanu on and go for it  second half - game plan going well once 2-0 up and we were marauding all over them - apples then takes cbt and then may off and we are on the ropes - at 2-0 u r forgiving the shit first half and the exit from all the cups but the capitulation is unacceptable and i'm afraid apples now fits the shiny big clown boots that he first sported about a month ago - compound that by dropping louis watson for the weakling fraser and i'm afraid for me, the apples honeymoon is over - the only silver lining is that kanu looked good and millwall and palace lost - cbt was mustard for 10 minutes but can't help thinking he's just playing for himself and his future club now - look what i can do when i try type of thing - but take me off before i get injured and let me do fuck all for the first half - very capable but not a team player and that will backfire on him eventually as it has for the likes of lyle taylor - these characters always end up paying for their selfishness in the end .        
  • First time at the valley this season.
    That was absolutely appalling.

• edited December 2023
    Set up for 1st half was wrong. 2nd better when Kanu came on. Then wrong again last 10 mins. Who was to blame? Pretty obvious I think
  • Is this New York Gangster nickname now in the bin? 
  • Winning 2-0. Cambridge still not given up, so what does Appleton do? He tinkers, brings on youngsters. He is a yesteryear manager. He has to take 90% of the blame for chucking 2 points away. No tactical nous and continually playing players out of position. I wasn't sure he was the right manager for us, now I'm completely sure he isn't. A Sunday league manager wouldn't made the mistakes he made today
  • edited December 2023
    First half was just terrible, wind was against us so that contributed and poor Rylah was out of his depth (I am sure he will come good but not ready yet).
    Second half we started well, got 2 up and took our foot off the pedal led by the manager putting a bunch of kids on to see out the game.
    All the interviews when he joined was how he was great at working with kids and improving them and how great he is in the loan market.  
    None of the kids have improved with him in charge and Andy Scott doesn't want to bring in loanees.
    January needs to be good. IMO this season is done but fans need to see a very decent second half to the season so they can see there is a reason to come again next year.  We need to bring in real quality and permanently.  We also need to renew Dobson and Kanu's contracts.
  • Thought Chem Campbell did alright today. Down to the barebones, but showed enough for us to try and keep him in January. Offers nothing defensively but always looks tidy on the ball when we play against weak sides at home. 
  • Croydon said:
    Am I the only one who thought Dobson was poor today? Good run at the end but lost count of the amount of misplaced passes and poor touches he had in the middle
    I don't think he has been right for weeks now. He seems dispirited. Not great for a skipper. Think he probably will leave in January.