Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    Poor tactics from Appleton bringing on the youngsters when we're holding onto a lead. Attack is the best form of defence in my eyes but bringing on an extra defender invited them onto us. Not a lot of bottle in our team to fight for these sorts of results either. Poor and think the playoffs are starting to really slip away.
    Playoffs 😆 LOL 
  • Need to get those points back at Barnsley now. A game I expect us to lose and did when I looked at the December games.
    A couple of weeks ago someone said that we needed 12-14 points from our games in December. I said more like 16 or 18 if you wanted to stay in contention for the play offs. We've already dropped 2 points. I cant see us beating Barnsley & Burton have just sacked their manager so in 2 weeks time they will be ripe for a new manager bounce. 

I cant see is getting more than 4 or 5 points before the window opens & we sign some more players. By that time we could be down to 14th......and no decent player will want to join a mediocre mid table team. 
  • Did Elewere touch the ball? I got a sinking feeling as soon as he came on for May. Compounded once we decided to muck about with it in the corner with 5+ minutes to go. Agree it wasn’t a penalty but we don’t half love self-destructing. To make matters worse pics all over Twitter of SCP celebrating SW win. What a time to be an Addick. 
    Madness that someone who's been on loan in non league this season walked straight into out first team squad today. Rylah, Deji, Mbick, T Campbell and Asimwe are nowhere near the level we require to get out of this league. Would probably stretch that to Kanu as well, even though he was involved in the goal

• Apart from the spell when we scored our goals, I thought it was poor stuff and should of hung on having got ahead, crap penalty decision didn't help obviously.
  • Agree with other comments about the first half. Awful. Played mainly in our half with our midfield being bullied and the two wide players starved of the ball. The first 30 mins of the second half were a different story with Kanu injecting pace and some direct running to set up the May goal. Suddenly there was balance in the side with CBT finally getting the ball on a regular basis. The second goal was a beauty with CBT laying it on a plate for Campbell. Cambridge had to push forward which left huge areas of the Charlton left flank open for CBT to go on the charge and the poor little blonde right back was being exposed to a harrowing time of it. Then CBT picked up a knock and went off and the balance (and threatening pace) was gone. Shame but we were on the back foot from then on.
  • The penalty was a free kick, foul outside the box. The ref was shite all game

i thought that at the time but tbh i think we have got away with quite a few this season so... shouldn't have left ourselves in that position when so on top at 2-0 - thats the issue 
  • Sponsored links:

• The worst league one in years and we are 9 points off the play offs with season over before Christmas.  Pathetic. Andy Scott's bunch of bottlers including manager.

• edited December 2023
    Croydon said:
    Did Elewere touch the ball? I got a sinking feeling as soon as he came on for May. Compounded once we decided to muck about with it in the corner with 5+ minutes to go. Agree it wasn’t a penalty but we don’t half love self-destructing. To make matters worse pics all over Twitter of SCP celebrating SW win. What a time to be an Addick. 
    Madness that someone who's been on loan in non league this season walked straight into out first team squad today. Rylah, Deji, Mbick, T Campbell and Asimwe are nowhere near the level we require to get out of this league. Would probably stretch that to Kanu as well, even though he was involved in the goal

Yep, this.

We must be the only league 1 side that have so many youth players in our squad, it's not an achievement if they're bang average! They're only there to save the club money.

I bet they wouldn't even start for other sides in this league below us, they can't even get loans at League 2 sides.

I think the National League loans are more about having the option to recall them outside of a transfer window more than anything else...

We wouldn't be in this position with having to use as many young players if we weren't dealing with injuries to Isted, Jones, McGrandles, Taylor, Camara, Leaburn, Aneke. 

Unfortunately that's the way it goes when you sign players who weren't able to get a proper pre season and/or have a history of being injured.
  • DOUCHER said:
    The penalty was a free kick, foul outside the box. The ref was shite all game

i thought that at the time but tbh i think we have got away with quite a few this season so... shouldn't have left ourselves in that position when so on top at 2-0 - thats the issue 

It wasn't a penalty, end of...two wrongs don't make a right, but agree, we should have been able to defend a 2-0 lead even with May & CBT off the field...
  • another 'comfortable' lead is let go very late in he game .. lack of game management, if that is the modern term .. used to be called lack of bottle
  • edited December 2023
    2 good goals squandered .. it was not a penalty .. and apropos of nothing, why is Maynard Brewer still disguised as Zorro? .. his nose was injured almost a year ago
  • 21 league goals now scored between May and Blackett-Taylor from 32 goals scored by Charlton Athletic in League One in 19 games so far this season 

• Croydon said:
    Did Elewere touch the ball? I got a sinking feeling as soon as he came on for May. Compounded once we decided to muck about with it in the corner with 5+ minutes to go. Agree it wasn’t a penalty but we don’t half love self-destructing. To make matters worse pics all over Twitter of SCP celebrating SW win. What a time to be an Addick. 

Yep, this.

We must be the only league 1 side that have so many youth players in our squad, it's not an achievement if they're bang average! They're only there to save the club money.

I bet they wouldn't even start for other sides in this league below us, they can't even get loans at League 2 sides.

I think the National League loans are more about having the option to recall them outside of a transfer window more than anything else...

We wouldn't be in this position with having to use as many young players if we weren't dealing with injuries to Isted, Jones, McGrandles, Taylor, Camara, Leaburn, Aneke. 

Unfortunately that's the way it goes when you sign players who weren't able to get a proper pre season and/or have a history of being injured.
    It is a good point about the recall option but my point still stands, I bet those clubs below us in the league and even in the league below (the decent sides) would have no interest in taking our players on loan.

Wouldn't we? We have had a fair few of those players avaliable for games and still not looked much better. I still think we would be in this position with all those players avaliable or a bit better off slightly.

Every club deals with injuries and has to deal with players being out. That's the nature of football, we still have two of the best players in the league and are mid-table. 

In regards to dealing with what we get, it's no coincidence that every season we sign players returning from injury, still injured or unfit and it's because it's the cheap option most of the time. We do it to ourselves every season, we get it wrong a lot more often than we get it right.
  • I'm just glad someone else calls him Zorro 
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with other comments about the first half. Awful. Played mainly in our half with our midfield being bullied and the two wide players starved of the ball. The first 30 mins of the second half were a different story with Kanu injecting pace and some direct running to set up the May goal. Suddenly there was balance in the side with CBT finally getting the ball on a regular basis. The second goal was a beauty with CBT laying it on a plate for Campbell. Cambridge had to push forward which left huge areas of the Charlton left flank open for CBT to go on the charge and the poor little blonde right back was being exposed to a harrowing time of it. Then CBT picked up a knock and went off and the balance (and threatening pace) was gone. Shame but we were on the back foot from then on.
    picked up a knock my arse
  • Smithy said:
    Absolutely criminal first half performance with not a single player walking away with any credit, but senior players like Fraser in particular should hang their heads in shame. Any decent team would have been 3 or 4 up but Cambridge were poor. 

We were very comfortable at 2-0 but completely fell asleep. Appleton can take a good chunk of credit for bringing on a bunch of kids to see out a game. 

4 points and 3 grim performances against Carlisle, Cheltenham and Cambridge is completely unacceptable. Unless we pull off a miracle in the January window it’s another mid table finish at best. 
    5 points 
  • The elephant in the room is the injury list, and as Curbs said, the fact that in Camara, Aneke, Jones, and to a lesser extent Taylor and McG, you have the experience you’d want to help close out a 2-0 lead. I am not saying this to excuse Appleton who made some bad calls today, but look at that bench. And on the TV Brownie was agitating for him to take off Dobbo too. So we should not ignore this, or shrug our shoulders at it. It has been happening every season at this time since 2019 when they were going down like ninepins and Bowyer was done for. We were promised by Methven that this problem has been identified, well clearly it hasn’t been fixed. And I’m getting sick of it, to put it mildly. I dont kmow what a better fitness/medical regime looks like, but its widely mentioned that Ipswicb invested in that side. And look at them now.
    Post of the day Prague ! My own feeling is that we can blame the Managers all we like,  but as Prague states, the lack of a fit squad season after season is one reason that we have no progression in our league position. We all know that if we had a fit Chuks or Leaburn we would have killed that game off and could have rested senior pros after 70 mins. I get it that the late takeover hampered arrivals coming in but in Taylor and Camara a huge gamble hasn't paid off, Leaburns injury in the summer meant that our only option up front was, eventually, Alfie May and even when Miles was fit enough to play, his lack of a pre season hindered his performances. I am not saying all our managers in the past ten years were tactical geniuses but a good proportion of them have been badly let down by those in the boardroom. 
  • Only 2nd game I've been to this season after opening day win against Orient.
    1st half was awful but 2nd half we had the game won before poor decision making
    and refereeing!
    As an aside, my 88 Year old Dad who is no longer fit enough to go asked me to buy him a programme
    & I duly bought one but having come home realize I've lost it,!!!! Does anyone know if/how to order one from the club?
  • Worst first half at home in the league I’ve witnessed this season though will give credit to the two centre halfs in that first 45. Good job they will both on it 

Second half was more like it, 2 up and I could not see anything but a win however we conceded a goal from a free header and eventually let 2 points slip away through bad play on our part and the ref

Game summed up  where we are at present on and off the field 
  • edited December 2023
    Only 2nd game I've been to this season after opening day win against Orient.
    1st half was awful but 2nd half we had the game won before poor decision making
    and refereeing!
    As an aside, my 88 Year old Dad who is no longer fit enough to go asked me to buy him a programme
    & I duly bought one but having come home realize I've lost it,!!!! Does anyone know if/how to order one from the club?

The club shop always sell some after the game.if you contact them.  @CharltonE18

020 8333 4000
  • We are a disgrace. They were by far the better team. We mugged them by getting a draw 

There is also a clear issue in the squad. When CBT laid the second on a plate for Campbell, only Edun congratulated him and then Hector later. Everyone else ignored him. 
    Rubbish comment - incorrect