Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Still seething over that penalty,ref had a great view and so did the line,how did they get that wrong,
  • Sponsored links:

• Still seething over that penalty,ref had a great view and so did the line,how did they get that wrong,
     Is if they are any good they would be in the prem. 

if we play in the third tier we will get third tier standard refs 
  • edited December 2023
    Was it Curbs who said don’t get too low with the defeats and don’t get too high with the wins? It wasn’t long ago many on here were quite happy with “Mickey Apples” - don’t forget that’s still only 2 league defeats in 13 under Appleton. 

Those calling for Louis Watson to have come on yesterday - didn’t he play against Reading midweek and folk on here were saying he was shit?

Some on here are saying that CBT will leave in January which will be a disaster for our season and others are saying he is shit and lazy and doesn’t do anything. That’s our second top scorer and highest assister.

Appleton gets criticised for playing a weakened  side in the FA cup, and then for playing a full strength side in the League Cup. These players are not his players and people talk about the loans being frozen out - but they could well be leaving in January in any case.

Those criticising AMB - Isted would probably be first choice but he’s injured. I don’t think any of us want to see Walker again if it can be avoided.

Appleton has steadied the ship. At the end of August we were 19th, with 3 points from 5 games. With only 2 defeats since then, we’ve suffered injuries to key players (Chuks, Miles, Fraser, Camara to name but 4) and we’re still on the fringes of the play offs. May is on fire and even some of those who folk have decided are shit, like Thomas and Hector, have started to play better. We finally have a fit left back. The owners are talking about strengthening in January, with hopefully Appleton getting players in that are endorsed by him.

This is a key part of the season now, lots of games coming up and the January window. Let’s see where we are come 1st February before we write off the season, Appleton and the owners.
    This is delusional. 9 points adrift is not being on the fringes of the play offs. And the key thing is even though we have only managed to lose 2 of 13, the performances are still shite and barely a hint of anything vaguely resembling a top 6 side. The defending is atrocious and competent coaching should have been able to drastically improve this. 
    We may not be on the fringes of the play offs, but his record isn't delusional. It's unarguable and results are key, not performances.

• This bloke should never have been given the job, blames everything but himself. Can't wait to see his next excuse. 

It's your job to play to our strengths mate? Why take the job if you think there's this many issues.

I wonder who the next cheap option will be when Appleton inevitably gets the cut. 
    Our players are lightweight though. Never seen so many in one team with no physicality in them. 
  • Time for VAR in league one .. we have been the victim 5 times now this season when a poor ref decision has cost us points .. and influenced the result …. Standard of refs is at the lowest it’s ever been something hit to change … some sort of VAR has to be the answer ??  

• This bloke should never have been given the job, blames everything but himself. Can't wait to see his next excuse. 

It's your job to play to our strengths mate? Why take the job if you think there's this many issues.

I wonder who the next cheap option will be when Appleton inevitably gets the cut. 
    I think he is spot on in his assessment in all honesty. I am glad he knows the softness in the side and hope he can address it in January. Meanwhile he has to find a way to get as many points as possible in December. It was a mistake playing Rylah and he has to start Kanu from now on. It was a mistake making the subs he did but I think there were sound reasons for it. However, the mistake was that we are not a team that can sit on anything. That would be my main criticism. If we are thinking of next Saturday, those two points dropped were more accesable to us than any at Barnsley. Not to say we can't get a point or three there but it is going to be very tough.

I think it may be linked to our soft underbelly, but our performance both attacking and defending set pieces is incredibly poor. 
    Yes he was spot on.
  • edited December 2023
    .EveshamAddick said:
    Was it Curbs who said don’t get too low with the defeats and don’t get too high with the wins? It wasn’t long ago many on here were quite happy with “Mickey Apples” - don’t forget that’s still only 2 league defeats in 13 under Appleton. 

Those calling for Louis Watson to have come on yesterday - didn’t he play against Reading midweek and folk on here were saying he was shit?

Some on here are saying that CBT will leave in January which will be a disaster for our season and others are saying he is shit and lazy and doesn’t do anything. That’s our second top scorer and highest assister.

Appleton gets criticised for playing a weakened  side in the FA cup, and then for playing a full strength side in the League Cup. He gets criticised for leaving senior players on until the end and also for taking them off with 5 on the clock. These players are not his players and people talk about the loans being frozen out - but they could well be leaving in January in any case.

Those criticising AMB - Isted would probably be first choice but he’s injured. I don’t think any of us want to see Walker again if it can be avoided.

Appleton has steadied the ship. At the end of August we were 19th, with 3 points from 5 games. With only 2 defeats since then, we’ve suffered injuries to key players (Chuks, Miles, Fraser, Camara to name but 4) and we’re still on the fringes of the play offs. May is on fire and even some of those who folk have decided are shit, like Thomas and Hector, have started to play better. We finally have a fit left back. The owners are talking about strengthening in January, with hopefully Appleton getting players in that are endorsed by him.

This is a key part of the season now, lots of games coming up and the January window. Let’s see where we are come 1st February before we write off the season, Appleton and the owners.
    Good post, although we’re not in the fringes of the playoffs. They’re almost out of reach now, mainly because of our terrible start to the season. 
    We all want to be out of L1 asap, but people have to realise that so do almost all of the other clubs in L1, many of whom are just as well resourced as we are, (or even better resourced). Ok so we were in the Premier league in living memory, but that means nothing during a match. If anything it just adds pressure to perform. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Time for VAR in league one .. we have been the victim 5 times now this season when a poor ref decision has cost us points .. and influenced the result …. Standard of refs is at the lowest it’s ever been something hit to change … some sort of VAR has to be the answer ??  
    Who is going to pay for it and the running of the review system at the third tier level ? 
  • Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s almost like some are glad we didn’t win, and are annoyed that the ref’s mistake took the gloss off surrendering a 2-0 lead. Bizarre. Points are everything right now, and the mistake cost us two. End of. 
    What a stupid post.
    Exactly this, yes I'm sure we're all thrilled the fact we are limping through mid table in league 1, yet again! We're all glad we failed to beat Cambridge after being 2 - up in the 85th minute. 

• edited December 2023
    swordfish said:

Appleton gets criticised for playing a weakened  side in the FA cup, and then for playing a full strength side in the League Cup. These players are not his players and people talk about the loans being frozen out - but they could well be leaving in January in any case.

This is delusional. 9 points adrift is not being on the fringes of the play offs. And the key thing is even though we have only managed to lose 2 of 13, the performances are still shite and barely a hint of anything vaguely resembling a top 6 side. The defending is atrocious and competent coaching should have been able to drastically improve this. 
    We may not be on the fringes of the play offs, but his record isn't delusional. It's unarguable and results are key, not performances. You've deluded if you think losing matches but playing well buys you time. Not here it doesn't if anywhere.
    We are still very much in the play off race .. 9 points is nothing in this league has we saw with Palace few years back and who remembers Oxford who was in bottom 8 in November and still pipped us for 6th spot under Nigel Atkins …. 
    I'd love for such a transformation to happen, but evidence pointing to it is hard to see at present. The bigger that gap, the more pressure is applied, and that's what we're not handling that well. 3 points was key for me yesterday, the manner of losing them disastrous, although not irrecoverable with so many games left. I feel we'll rock up at Oakwell with an injury depleted team having to use youngsters low on confidence at some point like lambs to the slaughter. We'll then be further off the pace and the pressure, which we can't handle, builds.

For me, only a miracle sees us make play offs this year. Sorry, but not being my usual glass half full self. That got to me yesterday, because I knew it would happen. It won't have escaped the attention of our opponents how fragile we are either, which will only make life harder too.
  • Only 2nd game I've been to this season after opening day win against Orient.
    1st half was awful but 2nd half we had the game won before poor decision making
    and refereeing!
    As an aside, my 88 Year old Dad who is no longer fit enough to go asked me to buy him a programme
    & I duly bought one but having come home realize I've lost it,!!!! Does anyone know if/how to order one from the club?
    @CharltonE18

Easiest way to order a programme is go to the tickets section of the website, go to the drop down menu, press more and you will see there is an option to order a programme
  • swordfish said:

We may not be on the fringes of the play offs, but his record isn't delusional. It's unarguable and results are key, not performances. You've deluded if you think losing matches but playing well buys you time. Not here it doesn't if anywhere.
    We are still very much in the play off race .. 9 points is nothing in this league has we saw with Palace few years back and who remembers Oxford who was in bottom 8 in November and still pipped us for 6th spot under Nigel Atkins …. 
    You are correct in saying 9 points is nothing.
    But 
    It's only nothing if you are playing really well. 
    We are playing rubbish most of the time. 
    9 points looks a huge gap when you are not playing well.
  • redbuttle said:
    So it's Appletons fault. Was it all of our previous managers who were shit then or something else. Think promises were made but not kept and some of them had their say and it looks like Aplleton is also going that way.
    No manager should be under any illusions about what resources etc will be available to him to use when they join Charlton. Even if loads of money was to be made available it doesn’t actually mean he will he will get the right players in immediately and it might take more than one transfer window to do so. If that’s the excuse then we, and every other team, don’t need the manager who uses it. We need somebody to look at what’s available, what needs fixing, or adjusting, and looking around the training ground for what or who is going to fix it. Good managers do it elsewhere with less resources all the time, that’s why Charlton are languishing where it is
  • edited December 2023
    Substitutions fucked us bar Kanu who made a difference coming on at HT. Poor decision by the ref for their second but we bring it on ourselves. We are the only team I know that capitulates like we do, it’s bizarre and has been the same for a while now. Wigan away we just about held onto after being 3 nil up!!

The mentality is wrong and I agree with Appleton, we need experience in that team not 17/18 year olds who are making mistakes in our first team, when they should be making mistakes out on loan for other teams and learning. 
  • Was it Curbs who said don’t get too low with the defeats and don’t get too high with the wins? It wasn’t long ago many on here were quite happy with “Mickey Apples” - don’t forget that’s still only 2 league defeats in 13 under Appleton. 

9 points adrift is not being on the fringes of the play offs
    RETWEET