Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Melrose said:
    Melrose said:
    While I don't think it was Apples best match, to blame him for the 2 late subs is just wrong. CBT was subbed one minute after the 1st Cambridge goal and May was subbed 3 minutes before the penalty, please explain to me how those two substitutions lead to the two goals.
    The last 10 mins, Cambridge were pushing. However we had the game won. Oh no, Appleton brings on a centre half (Elewere). Takes off the 2 players that would threaten Cambridge and keep the ball. We lost all shape and invited pressure. He should have brought Louis Watson on. Chem Cambell was knackered in the last 20 mins, understandably. A Sunday league manager would not have done what Appleton did. Then in the press conference there is some nonsense about shorter players not defending corners. He blames all, but himself. He's a dud and most of us knew it when he was appointed
    Your reply is a load of rubbish. Elewere came on AFTER the 1st goal so that substitution had no effect on that goal and the second goal was due to poor refereeing on the players on the pitch - do try and get you fact right please.
    Stop splitting hairs. At 2-0 up we should have won the fucking game. The reason we didn't was largely down to Appleton. You can think what you like.
    I'm not splitting hairs - I'm stating facts which you seem to ignore

I didn't know the game involved copulation.
  • Bailey said:
    Has Maynard Brewer ever got near a penalty? 
    He really needs to be working on this - who’s goalkeeping coach these days?
    How does he 'work on this' ? Saving a penalty is down to guessing which way the penalty taker is going to place the penalty, some are good at saving pens, almost like a 'knack' but it can't be taught. 
    He could study the penalty takers previous penalties.
    Covered end junior knows where it's going 4/5 and I guess right/know much of the time.
    We both thought he'd put it down the middle yesterday as he'd be nervous and not confident enough to try for a corner.
    He could also try diving as well if he's going to go left or right.
    Generally he just seems to "fall out of the way".
    Easier said than done... May scored two penalties recently against a Goalkeeper he'd have been taking penalties against in training for the last few years

• This bloke should never have been given the job, blames everything but himself. Can't wait to see his next excuse. 

It's your job to play to our strengths mate? Why take the job if you think there's this many issues.

I wonder who the next cheap option will be when Appleton inevitably gets the cut. 
    I think he is spot on in his assessment in all honesty. I am glad he knows the softness in the side and hope he can address it in January. Meanwhile he has to find a way to get as many points as possible in December. It was a mistake playing Rylah and he has to start Kanu from now on. It was a mistake making the subs he did but I think there were sound reasons for it. However, the mistake was that we are not a team that can sit on anything. That would be my main criticism. If we are thinking of next Saturday, those two points dropped were more accesable to us than any at Barnsley. Not to say we can't get a point or three there but it is going to be very tough.

I think it may be linked to our soft underbelly, but our performance both attacking and defending set pieces is incredibly poor. 
    Most of our players are too soft to want to attack and head the ball at both ends of the pitch.
    The evidence is that the opposition do it far more than us.
  • DOUCHER said:

This bloke should never have been given the job, blames everything but himself. Can't wait to see his next excuse. 

It's your job to play to our strengths mate? Why take the job if you think there's this many issues.

I wonder who the next cheap option will be when Appleton inevitably gets the cut. 
    I think he is spot on in his assessment in all honesty. I am glad he knows the softness in the side and hope he can address it in January. Meanwhile he has to find a way to get as many points as possible in December. It was a mistake playing Rylah and he has to start Kanu from now on. It was a mistake making the subs he did but I think there were sound reasons for it. However, the mistake was that we are not a team that can sit on anything. That would be my main criticism. If we are thinking of next Saturday, those two points dropped were more accesable to us than any at Barnsley. Not to say we can't get a point or three there but it is going to be very tough.

I think it may be linked to our soft underbelly, but our performance both attacking and defending set pieces is incredibly poor. 
    so why drop Louis Watson who was fit, energetic, mobile, sharp etc etc and play fraser who, lets be honest has some attributes but physicality and mobility are woefully lacking - physically he is a bit he is a bit of a 'weed', as is mgrandles yet apples has dropped Louis Watson and tried to shoe horn these 2 in - bits of what he says are true but he ain't managing the situation well - far from it. 
    Louis Watson has been unbelievably rank in his last 2 performances (and I speak as a fan of his)
  • Can someone please explain why the referee allowed an offside free kick to be taken in our half of the pitch?
  • Melrose said:
    While I don't think it was Apples best match, to blame him for the 2 late subs is just wrong. CBT was subbed one minute after the 1st Cambridge goal and May was subbed 3 minutes before the penalty, please explain to me how those two substitutions lead to the two goals.
    The last 10 mins, Cambridge were pushing. However we had the game won. Oh no, Appleton brings on a centre half (Elewere). Takes off the 2 players that would threaten Cambridge and keep the ball. We lost all shape and invited pressure. He should have brought Louis Watson on. Chem Cambell was knackered in the last 20 mins, understandably. A Sunday league manager would not have done what Appleton did. Then in the press conference there is some nonsense about shorter players not defending corners. He blames all, but himself. He's a dud and most of us knew it when he was appointed
    He should have May up near the half way line when we’re defending corners, not in our six yard box. 
  • Can someone please explain why the referee allowed an offside free kick to be taken in our half of the pitch?
    Because May was offside but collected/touch the ball in our half. The Law was changed a few seasons ago
    Terry on Comms talked about it at the time... suggesting there is a rule stating that the offside free kick can be taken where the infringement happens
  • Sponsored links:

• Not saying Appleton has been great (subs yesterday were poor), but there's a tendency here/football in general to point the finger directly at the manager as soon as things go wrong. With the current cop of players do people think under a different manager we would be in the play offs?
    If yes i'd love to know who that might be, has to be attainable too. 

The last successful manager we've had is Bowyer, but even then it seemed to go to pieces the last few months of his tenure. Since then we've had Adkins, Jackson, Garner, Holden and Appleton - some better than others but at large all unsuccessful. So are they all bad managers? Pretty impossible to say if you only give them X amount of months in charge. I genuinely believe people overplay how much influence a manager has in the way of a result. The common denominator has been poor, and often very late recruitment of players. Don't expect anything to change if we parted ways with Appleton. 
    Agree with you about managers. I’ve seen a few comments along lines or crap players crap/league 1 manager. But surely a good manager needs good players? 
    Terry on Comms talked about it at the time... suggesting there is a rule stating that the offside free kick can be taken where the infringement happens
    Makes no sense, every other time you’ve off side when the ball is kicked and the free kick is taken where the player was standing. However if you go back into your own half, it’s taken where you get the ball.
  • Was it Curbs who said don’t get too low with the defeats and don’t get too high with the wins? It wasn’t long ago many on here were quite happy with “Mickey Apples” - don’t forget that’s still only 2 league defeats in 13 under Appleton. 

Those calling for Louis Watson to have come on yesterday - didn’t he play against Reading midweek and folk on here were saying he was shit?

Some on here are saying that CBT will leave in January which will be a disaster for our season and others are saying he is shit and lazy and doesn’t do anything. That’s our second top scorer and highest assister.

Appleton gets criticised for playing a weakened  side in the FA cup, and then for playing a full strength side in the League Cup. He gets criticised for leaving senior players on until the end and also for taking them off with 5 on the clock. These players are not his players and people talk about the loans being frozen out - but they could well be leaving in January in any case.

Those criticising AMB - Isted would probably be first choice but he’s injured. I don’t think any of us want to see Walker again if it can be avoided.

Appleton has steadied the ship. At the end of August we were 19th, with 3 points from 5 games. With only 2 defeats since then, we’ve suffered injuries to key players (Chuks, Miles, Fraser, Camara to name but 4) and we’re still on the fringes of the play offs. May is on fire and even some of those who folk have decided are shit, like Thomas and Hector, have started to play better. We finally have a fit left back. The owners are talking about strengthening in January, with hopefully Appleton getting players in that are endorsed by him.

This is a key part of the season now, lots of games coming up and the January window. Let’s see where we are come 1st February before we write off the season, Appleton and the owners.
    Nailed it.
  • Chunes said:
    In the lead up to the penalty, is that Scott Fraser falling to the ground when he's in a position to challenge for the ball?
    Yes - that's what I thought, lightweight loses the tackle, falls to the ground and they go through for a penalty.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Can someone please explain why the referee allowed an offside free kick to be taken in our half of the pitch?
    Because May was offside but collected/touch the ball in our half. The Law was changed a few seasons ago

Great, so in theory you can be offside on the edge of your own box...🤷‍♂️
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Can someone please explain why the referee allowed an offside free kick to be taken in our half of the pitch?

Correct 
  • Bailey said:
    I can't believe people are even trying to justify or give reasoning to Appletons sub choices, giving him far too much credit. 

Who takes off their best player who causes issues all over the pitch? Especially at 90+ mins when the game isn't out of sight. If he was doing it to protect May from being booked, then he's even dumber than I was giving him credit for.

As for all the talk of giving him a transfer window?? Do me a favour 😂

You want this bloke, who gets us playing this level of football, making these kind of subs, making these kind of excuses having a transfer window? Jesus fkn wept.

Write the season off, get a proper manager in now, build for next season with May as the main man and find the right players up to it, would be a far better solution. You give this bloke a transfer window (which is a Myth anyway btw) he will genuinely damage our club long term. 
    Name your preferred choice of Manager please Brazilance. 
    Me or Curbs, no one else up to it. 

But seriously Curbs, watches the team week in week out, give him the season to sus it out and work his way back to management.

Other than that all my options are too expensive so it's about getting lucky until we crawl back into the championship. 

As a Charlton TV regular from Day 1 I think I can assert with some confidence that Curbs doesn't want it, not even remotely; at the same time he would be happy to consider a father-figure role with a younger manager. But let's also remember Fulham tried that with Curbs and it didn't work, for whatever reason.
    he said when jacko was manager he would be happy to come in and help, offer advice - be almost like keith peacock when he was manager - why o why does no owner make this happen? - curbishley turned us into a serious football club again after years of crap and decline - he won london derby's he did the double over millwall in 96 and effectively relegated them - its an absolute no brainer - it would put 5000 on the next gate and properly get some momentum going - what is wrong with these people - if i bought the club i would just ask him to do as much or as little as he wants but christ it would be my first phone call   
  • Chunes said:
    In the lead up to the penalty, is that Scott Fraser falling to the ground when he's in a position to challenge for the ball?
    You mean the free kick outside the area … not a pen 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s almost like some are glad we didn’t win, and are annoyed that the ref’s mistake took the gloss off surrendering a 2-0 lead. Bizarre. Points are everything right now, and the mistake cost us two. End of. 
    What a stupid post.
    Probably, and thanks for pointing it out, but the negativity gets me down. That penalty cost us two points (whether we had a lucky penalty earlier this season or not) and messed up my mood for the rest of weekend. The second half display had me thinking our season might not be dead after all, and the mood was changing for the better, but now I’m pretty convinced that the season’s over, without even a cup competition to look forward to.
    Spot on James what lucky pen so we get one decision go our way what about the two sending offs v B Roverz and PV last man both times not sent off at that time we were 1-1 and 1-0 up changed both games , Oxford away when the bloke punched May shot and then the blatent hand ball ( Curbishley the most blatant hand ball he ever seen ) for their goal .. Stevenage away another one .. and now yesterday 
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

This bloke should never have been given the job, blames everything but himself. Can't wait to see his next excuse. 

so why drop Louis Watson who was fit, energetic, mobile, sharp etc etc and play fraser who, lets be honest has some attributes but physicality and mobility are woefully lacking - physically he is a bit he is a bit of a 'weed', as is mgrandles yet apples has dropped Louis Watson and tried to shoe horn these 2 in - bits of what he says are true but he ain't managing the situation well - far from it. 
    Because Louie Watson had his chance to claim a shirt and was shite against Gillingham and Reading.
    Apples dropped watson when he was playing really well to try and shoe horn fraser and mgrandles in - okay they are our players rather than loanees so try and give them some game time in the silly bollox cup whatever its called now but don't drop one of your best players in the league or fa cup -  its poor management - if you are playing really well what should your reaction be when you are then dropped for 2 below par lightweights? Don't get injured, sit out the next month and the get out of there is the realistic reaction. 
    He rested him not dropped trouble is Watson proving the decision a correct one because the changes he had to get back in he failed to take 
  • edited December 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Correct 
    What a bunch of ARSE 🙄🤦‍♂️....(not you Johnny)
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Because Louie Watson had his chance to claim a shirt and was shite against Gillingham and Reading.
    Apples dropped watson when he was playing really well to try and shoe horn fraser and mgrandles in - okay they are our players rather than loanees so try and give them some game time in the silly bollox cup whatever its called now but don't drop one of your best players in the league or fa cup -  its poor management - if you are playing really well what should your reaction be when you are then dropped for 2 below par lightweights? Don't get injured, sit out the next month and the get out of there is the realistic reaction. 
    He rested him not dropped trouble is Watson proving the decision a correct one because the changes he had to get back in he failed to take 
    nonsense 
  • Bailey said:
    I can't believe people are even trying to justify or give reasoning to Appletons sub choices, giving him far too much credit. 

Who takes off their best player who causes issues all over the pitch? Especially at 90+ mins when the game isn't out of sight. If he was doing it to protect May from being booked, then he's even dumber than I was giving him credit for.

You want this bloke, who gets us playing this level of football, making these kind of subs, making these kind of excuses having a transfer window? Jesus fkn wept.

Write the season off, get a proper manager in now, build for next season with May as the main man and find the right players up to it, would be a far better solution. You give this bloke a transfer window (which is a Myth anyway btw) he will genuinely damage our club long term. 

But seriously Curbs, watches the team week in week out, give him the season to sus it out and work his way back to management.

Other than that all my options are too expensive so it's about getting lucky until we crawl back into the championship. 

As a Charlton TV regular from Day 1 I think I can assert with some confidence that Curbs doesn't want it, not even remotely; at the same time he would be happy to consider a father-figure role with a younger manager. But let's also remember Fulham tried that with Curbs and it didn't work, for whatever reason.
    I know he wouldn't, that would just be my ideal pick. There's no way he wouldn't be up to it still, far too knowledgeable and has an eye for a player. 
    In which case I think my preferred choice is Pep.
  • Bailey said:

I know he wouldn't, that would just be my ideal pick. There's no way he wouldn't be up to it still, far too knowledgeable and has an eye for a player. 
    Pep’s never manager average journeymen, what makes you think he would this squad?
  • SamB09 said:
    Bailey said:

Pep’s never manager average journeymen, what makes you think he would this squad?
    Whoosh.
  • just listening to charlton live and apples being praised for saying alfie may not as effective playing down the middle as out wide - please tell me i'm misinterpreting this - alfie may should be playing down the middle with a physical strike partner - that is it - the fact he cannot play the lone striker role is a given, clear as day and a 2 year old would know that - when kanu came on it helped no end but please lets get this right - play 2 up top apples u chump and never ever play alfie may as a lone striker - the choice is not whether he plays up top on his own or out wide - he plays up top with a physical presence and we build the rest of the side around that - that is what needs to happen and the shole of the supporter base can see that - if cbt needs offloading to make taht happen so be it - just do it  
  • edited December 2023
    I don't disagree with the opinion that he May could do well in a pair up front at all... I would've loved to have seen a May-Leaburn partnership in a 352. But at the end of the day, he's scored 19 goals and it's only December, so I'm not sure we need to be getting the pitchforks out over it...
  • Chunes said:
    I don't disagree with the opinion that he May could do well in a pair up front at all... I would've loved to have seen a May-Leaburn partnership in a 352. But at the end of the day, he's scored 19 goals and it's only December, so I'm not sure we need to be getting the pitchforks out over it...
    Despite that we sit mid mid table
    Out of all the cups
    I'd prefer him to have 15 goals and us be top 6....

No point scoring a ton of goals and not winning games.....

• edited December 2023
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Despite that we sit mid mid table
    Out of all the cups
    I'd prefer him to have 15 goals and us be top 6....

No point scoring a ton of goals and not winning games.....
    I don't think I get your point. Are you saying that May playing in a front two would mean we were top 6?