Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Bailey said:
    I can't believe people are even trying to justify or give reasoning to Appletons sub choices, giving him far too much credit. 

Who takes off their best player who causes issues all over the pitch? Especially at 90+ mins when the game isn't out of sight. If he was doing it to protect May from being booked, then he's even dumber than I was giving him credit for.

As for all the talk of giving him a transfer window?? Do me a favour 😂

You want this bloke, who gets us playing this level of football, making these kind of subs, making these kind of excuses having a transfer window? Jesus fkn wept.

Write the season off, get a proper manager in now, build for next season with May as the main man and find the right players up to it, would be a far better solution. You give this bloke a transfer window (which is a Myth anyway btw) he will genuinely damage our club long term. 
    Name your preferred choice of Manager please Brazilance. 
    Me or Curbs, no one else up to it. 

But seriously Curbs, watches the team week in week out, give him the season to sus it out and work his way back to management.

Other than that all my options are too expensive so it's about getting lucky until we crawl back into the championship. 

As a Charlton TV regular from Day 1 I think I can assert with some confidence that Curbs doesn't want it, not even remotely; at the same time he would be happy to consider a father-figure role with a younger manager. But let's also remember Fulham tried that with Curbs and it didn't work, for whatever reason.
    I know he wouldn't, that would just be my ideal pick. There's no way he wouldn't be up to it still, far too knowledgeable and has an eye for a player. 
    In which case I think my preferred choice is Pep.
    No bias mate, but Curbs > Pep
  • edited December 2023
    Appleton doesn’t do the big man little man two up front formation. As far as I know, he never has. Would love to be proved otherwise.

The closest we’ll get is a physical presence up front and May playing off of them as a 10, like he had been for a few weeks. Alfie’s expected to be arriving in the box to get on the end of knock downs like he would as a poacher, but also be the link man in the final third. And it was working well.

Plus….. didn’t Andy Scott say the club spent all summer planning to build around one formation (one up front) and then Holden went rogue and starting trying to go two up front at the end?
  • Appleton doesn’t do the big man little man two up front formation. As far as I know, he never has. Would love to be proved otherwise.

The closest we’ll get is a physical presence up front and May playing off of them as a 10, like he had been for a few weeks. Alfie’s expected to be arriving in the box to get on the end of knock downs like he would as a poacher, but also be the link man in the final third. And it was working well.

Plus….. didn’t Andy Scott say the club spent all summer planning to build around one formation (one up front) and then Holden went rogue and starting trying to go two up front at the end?
    If so, they're dumber than I thought.
  • Appleton doesn’t do the big man little man two up front formation. As far as I know, he never has. Would love to be proved otherwise.

You can't buy Alfie May and plan to play one up front when the options are an injured Leaburn and injury prone Aneke.

That's just a ridiculous plan!

Surely we can all see that!
  • supaclive said:
    Appleton doesn’t do the big man little man two up front formation. As far as I know, he never has. Would love to be proved otherwise.

You can't buy Alfie May and plan to play one up front when the options are an injured Leaburn and injury prone Aneke.

That's just a ridiculous plan!

Surely we can all see that!
    I don’t disagree - the obvious move would’ve been buying him to play a two up front because that’s how he’d been so good for Cheltenham. It might explain the rumoured resistance by the leadership over bringing him in.

Luckily for us, he’s scoring at an even better rate playing in a different position. Like @ValleyBen jokingly posts above, May is the sort of player that’s going to find the net wherever he’s meant to be playing.
  • edited December 2023
    But to not buy the best goslscorer in this division THREE YEARS IN A ROW NOW

For just £250k

BECAUSE he doesn't fit the formation we want to play at a time when we had no other players available to play up front is why this club is bat shit crazy!!!!

Imagine a season without Alfie.

We'd be rock bottom. 

This club tries to be too clever by half without understanding you actually need good players to achieve anything.

• Apart from his goals, Ahadme looked a pain throughout the game.

How comes Tedic from City looks anonymous whilst Ahadme, the same age, on loan from Ipswich looks a much better player.
    We certainly pick them. 

• Sponsored links:

How comes Tedic from City looks anonymous whilst Ahadme, the same age, on loan from Ipswich looks a much better player.
    We certainly pick them. 

Tedic has it too easy at Man C on an enormous wage?
  • edited December 2023
    I have so many questions about that grenade you just dropped, I don’t know where to start.
  • Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

I can't remember the exact circumstances for Michael Morrison's departure in 2015 but remember being disappointed at the time. He seems to have done a sound job for Birmingham, Reading, Portsmouth and Cambridge since leaving us in his career of 676 games (so far).     

We certainly pick them. 

Ahadme is pants (allegedly) their fans slander him if you go by social media (YouTube, forum, twitter) comments. Some were even asking for him to be subbed off against us.

Probably says more about us than him: 

• edited December 2023
    Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

I can't remember the exact circumstances for Michael Morrison's departure in 2015 but remember being disappointed at the time. He seems to have done a sound job for Birmingham, Reading, Portsmouth and Cambridge since leaving us in his career of 676 games (so far).     
    Andre Bikey & Tal Ben Haim were preferred over him by Bob Peeters and he was moved on as a result, ridiculous decision in hindsight 
  • Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

Andre Bikey & Tal Ben Haim were preferred over him by Bob Peeters and he was moved on as a result, ridiculous decision in hindsight 
    For a while they were both phenomenal tbf
  • Leuth said:
    Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

Genuinely don't remember either being "Phenomenal". Good enough for Championship sure, but not that great. We haven't had many "Phenomenal" players ever.
  • Chunes said:
    In the lead up to the penalty, is that Scott Fraser falling to the ground when he's in a position to challenge for the ball?
    You mean the free kick outside the area … not a pen 
    It still lead to the penalty. Correct decision or not.
  • Sponsored links:

That Bikey bloke could also do a job for us now.  No lack of physical strength there if I remember correctly. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

Genuinely don't remember either being "Phenomenal". Good enough for Championship sure, but not that great. We haven't had many "Phenomenal" players ever.
    Yeah Phenomenal is a stretch, they were both very decent, more so Ben Haim consistently. Eventually I think Roger Johnson took Bikeys place? 

I remember when we first got 'RoJo' aka the Relegator he was referred to as a warrior on here, few months later he was telling our fans to fack off and not go to the games if we didn't like it 😂

Another fraud on the long list of them over the years, couldn't stand the bloke.

Had a lot of time for Ben Haim though, classy centre back at times 

That Bikey bloke could also do a job for us now.  No lack of physical strength there if I remember correctly. 
    Bikey was a big strong bloke yeah, also wasn't too slow either for his size. Remember him having a monster performance against Watford. 

Genuinely can't remember how he fell out of favour or what happened with him 
  • edited December 2023

I have so many questions about that grenade you just dropped, I don’t know where to start.
    I'm not too disheartened yet. Just because the owner/board approach didn't appeal to Powell back then, that doesn't mean they have to stick to it if they can see it isn't playing out as they'd hoped. We may yet have a more positive window to look back on if they do.

However, my worry is if they decide to keep faith with the youth development model when they have a manager calling for experienced heads and leaders. We'll be building on shifting sands instead of laying down more solid foundations for progression.
  • I refuse to believe that after a deluded owner in RD, crooks led by MS, a deluded owner in TS, we have found ourselves with an entire bunch of deluded individuals not one of whom has the nous to realize their plan might not be working. No chance.

Whether it's only one individual and they're not an influencer is another matter, but if that person was me, I could smell the coffee, but I couldn't persuade others to change direction, I'd cut and run.

January is not the best time for doing long term business as it's about quick fixes, which we're in need of as always, so in all probability, next summers window will be more of an eye opener strategy wise.
  • Appleton is not wrong, but is it his role to state these things so publicly? Sounding like a consultant providing an assessment. 
  • Scott might publicly ask why Fraser and McGrandles started in front of an inform L Watson? 
  • Leuth said:

Indeed.

One of the best centre half pairing we've had since the Prem days.
  • edited December 2023
    ed - probably the wrong thread for this post, apologies.