Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Croydon said:
    Don't get all this surrender "season over" stuff, I am still looking forward to the window...(I can hear the collective groan from here)...and I believe we are still 27 matches away from the season's end, and just 9 points off the top six, I am always a glass half full, and will reserve judgement till after the end of Jan if that's ok...🤔
    Oh, and I don't own a pair of rose tinted specs...😉
    Hear hear @eastterrace6168

Everyone thought the 18/19 season was over when we replaced Karlan Grant with Josh Parker. But we grew into the season & were probably the best team in the division by the end of it.

No doubting we’re still quite far off being how good that team was at the end - but as you say, 27 games. That’s a long old time in football.
    Weren’t we already in the play offs when Grant left though? 
    We were, but didn’t stop people saying that Roland was purposefully trying to ruin our season and we’d fall out of the top six relatively quickly and any hopes of getting promoted were gone.
    Effing huge difference to being in the top 6 to being 9 points off it. And that's before you even look at the quality of player we had that season. Incomparable situations imo
    That wasn’t the point I was trying to make though…

I wasn’t saying we got promoted then so we’ll get promoted now.

What I meant to say, if it wasn’t clear, is that seasons are 46 games long and every team (unless you win all 46) will go through fluctuations in form. There’s plenty of reason to still be optimistic despite us going through a period of feeling down about recent results. No team is shit forever and no team is brilliant forever.

Every fanbase will have their moments where they think their team’s season is doomed or about to collapse at any moment, even the ones that do end in celebration.
    Is anybody watching Portsmouth v Bolton?
    We're LIGHTYEARS behind them

The Portsmouth we took a point off a couple of weeks ago and then they lost to Blackpool four nil? The Bolton team that lost 1-3 to Carlisle at home? I wonder if you asked their fans after those games if they had promotion worthy teams how they would’ve responded.

Bloody hell Blackpool and Carlisle must be better than Man City then.

Will say it again: 27 games is a LONG way to go. Teams can improve and teams can drop off, teams can bob up and down and go nowhere.

Our season isn’t a foregone conclusion yet.
    You always have an optimistic view
    Come sit in the freezing cold South London watching the shit for real in front of your own eyes 
    Pulling out individual results - we'd be here all night
    Just look at the league table, our injuries, our recent performances and the fact our new manager is making it public how many additions we need in January....

I respect your optimism
    I just don't share it
    It’s not optimism, it’s just refusing to engage in pessimism.

Do I think it’ll actually happen? Not without a really good January window and a decent slice of luck.

But unexpected stuff happens all the time in football, that’s why we all love it. Giving up on the season with almost 30 games left is bizarre to me.
    It's called being a Charlton fan!
  • 5 to 1 to finish top 6 with skybet , shows where we’re currently at 
    light years away from the 2018/19 squad 
  • AndyG said:
    Ofcourse there are a lot of games to be played still I just get the feeling that we will be ending the window with a worse team than we have now. Take CBT and Dobson out of our starting lineup and we are fucked 
    Don't some players refuse  Jan deals if they think they can do better as a free agent in the summer?
  • Well - the ball is firmly in the new owners court - a very good window that probably needs half a dozen players better than what we have or it’s back to the drawing board in the summer - I won’t lose faith completely if it doesn’t happen but a large chunk of it and then if the same in the summer, they can get their coats as just another gang of delusional chancers - will airman be proved right this time ? 
  • crazy to think that in only 2019 Luton v Southend was a league game
  • edited December 2023
    We become a Southend and we’ll still have fans tugging off about new grounds and extolling the virtues of whatever load of shit is representing us and just cos we’re sitting 9th in Ryman league division cnut we still have a chance of promotion and a big derby against the Royal Oak vets to come 
    fuck oFF 
    Supporters eh…who'd 'av 'em...🙄
  • crazy to think that in only 2019 Luton v Southend was a league game
    That is why it's so frustrating, cause we could be either one of them in the next 5 years if we play our cards right, or wrong.
    Very true. 
    I have nothing against Brentford, but I can’t help comparing our relative positions and feeling pretty gutted. Find myself wanting them to lose, when I probably shouldn’t. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    crazy to think that in only 2019 Luton v Southend was a league game
    That is why it's so frustrating, cause we could be either one of them in the next 5 years if we play our cards right, or wrong.
    Very true. 
    I have nothing against Brentford, but I can’t help comparing our relative positions and feeling pretty gutted. Find myself wanting them to lose, when I probably shouldn’t. 
    I totally agree with you. Why oh why cant learn from clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton. All clubs significantly smaller the Charlton
  • edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 
    Their feeble showing in the final game of the season against Barnsley cost them the automatics and they lost in the play offs, It saved Barnsley BUT sent us down. The outcome of that game has been reversed for both of those since, as if it never happened, Barnsley rightly relegated and Brentford promoted the following season.

It's us still suffering the consequences, collateral damage for them bottling it on the day.  Think of it in those terms and you might feel justified wanting them to lose. I know I do.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 
    Yeah it is frustrating, I saw Bournemouth beat ManU 3 nil and I thought blimey, it wasn't too long ago we were in a better position than them. 

The main ones that stand out to me are them, Brentford and Brighton. They've all had such success in recent years and it would have been hard to believe they would all be in the top flight at the same time and Brighton qualifying for Europa Knockout stages even.

I keep telling myself that one day that will be us, surely 
  • It is what I keep telling my Nephew who is enjoying his first season as an Addick, in the not too distant past we were the 7th best team in the country and no reason with the right owners/decisions makers we could not be back up there, as half the teams in the PL are no bigger then us.
  • Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 
    I totally agree with you. Why oh why cant learn from clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton. All clubs significantly smaller the Charlton

We will see but Brighton and Brentford are given as templates for us to follow by the SMT.
  • DOUCHER said:
    Well - the ball is firmly in the new owners court - a very good window that probably needs half a dozen players better than what we have or it’s back to the drawing board in the summer - I won’t lose faith completely if it doesn’t happen but a large chunk of it and then if the same in the summer, they can get their coats as just another gang of delusional chancers - will airman be proved right this time ? 
    Tutt tutt, you have faith in this mob?
  • We become a Southend and we’ll still have fans tugging off about new grounds and extolling the virtues of whatever load of shit is representing us and just cos we’re sitting 9th in Ryman league division cnut we still have a chance of promotion and a big derby against the Royal Oak vets to come 
    fuck oFF 
    Yessss! Now you’re talking me and you could finally get to play against our heroes 😉
  • DOUCHER said:
    Well - the ball is firmly in the new owners court - a very good window that probably needs half a dozen players better than what we have or it’s back to the drawing board in the summer - I won’t lose faith completely if it doesn’t happen but a large chunk of it and then if the same in the summer, they can get their coats as just another gang of delusional chancers - will airman be proved right this time ? 
    If you don't have faith and hope and support for the team, what's the point in turning up each week...🤷‍♂️...
  • DOUCHER said:
    If you don't have faith and hope and support for the team, what's the point in turning up each week...🤷‍♂️...
    I was making reference to the board :)
  • edited December 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Ok Elfs, faith in the board will be earn't after the next window, if it don't go well, I may well join you...for now I am neutral and think It could prove "interesting"...🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Ok Elfs, faith in the board will be earn't after the next window, if it don't go well, I may well join you...
    The number of fish in the January pond is smaller and made up of many thrown back. Just as many clubs with their tackle out and baited hooks though hoping to tempt something to bite. I expect we'll be loading our hook with liquorice again and will land all sorts 😟

Heard that old joke again the other day on the Tony Blackburn show. Made me chuckle.
  • swordfish said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Ok Elfs, faith in the board will be earn't after the next window, if it don't go well, I may well join you...
    The number of fish in the January pond is smaller and made up of many thrown back. Just as many clubs with their tackle out and baited hooks though hoping to tempt something to bite. I expect we'll be loading our hook with liquorice again and will land all sorts 😟

Heard that old joke again the other day on the Tony Blackburn show. Made me chuckle.

• edited December 2023
    swordfish said:
    DOUCHER said:

Reminded me of Blackadder...had to smile...😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q377sV4nLc
  • JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 
    Yeah it is frustrating, I saw Bournemouth beat ManU 3 nil and I thought blimey, it wasn't too long ago we were in a better position than them. 

The main ones that stand out to me are them, Brentford and Brighton. They've all had such success in recent years and it would have been hard to believe they would all be in the top flight at the same time and Brighton qualifying for Europa Knockout stages even.

I keep telling myself that one day that will be us, surely 
    Can I add Bournemouth to that list? 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Not necessarily but will give them a chance 
  • Wonder if any statistitions out there will know, the last time we had a player that had scored May's amount of goals this far into a season, and if so what league position we were in at the turn of the year.
    Surely this squads defensive frailties can't have been matched in a previous era? 
  • Wonder if any statistitions out there will know, the last time we had a player that had scored May's amount of goals this far into a season, and if so what league position we were in at the turn of the year.
    Surely this squads defensive frailties can't have been matched in a previous era? 
    Most goals (All Competitions) from start of a season to 31st December 

25 - Pearce - 1933
    20 - Whitlow - 1928
    20 - Allen - 1934
    20 - Horsfield - 1972
    19 - May - 2023 (Up to 9/12)
  • shirty5 said:
    Wonder if any statistitions out there will know, the last time we had a player that had scored May's amount of goals this far into a season, and if so what league position we were in at the turn of the year.
    Most goals (All Competitions) from start of a season to 31st December 

25 - Pearce - 1933
    20 - Whitlow - 1928
    20 - Allen - 1934
    20 - Horsfield - 1972
    19 - May - 2023 (Up to 9/12)
    Worth bearing in mind that in 1933 there were more goals scored in the average match than there are today. 
  • edited December 2023
    What interested me in the Pompey v Bolton match was how Yengi fouled Santos at every opportunity. Forgetting Santos' strength he refused to be bullied and as the game wore on he started winning fair ball. Pompey didn't play brilliantly but they didn't give Bolton a second on the ball. We have too many softies in our side as Appleton has observed.