Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Leuth said:
    Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

I can't remember the exact circumstances for Michael Morrison's departure in 2015 but remember being disappointed at the time. He seems to have done a sound job for Birmingham, Reading, Portsmouth and Cambridge since leaving us in his career of 676 games (so far).     
    Andre Bikey & Tal Ben Haim were preferred over him by Bob Peeters and he was moved on as a result, ridiculous decision in hindsight 
    For a while they were both phenomenal tbf
    Indeed.

One of the best centre half pairing we've had since the Prem days.
    I think it was stated at the time that Morrison could not play out from the back and that was the reason he was first left out then sold. 
  • edited December 2023
    Nug said:
    Familiar faces in the Cambridge line were Michael Morrison, Jordan Cousins and loanee Kaikai 

I can't remember the exact circumstances for Michael Morrison's departure in 2015 but remember being disappointed at the time. He seems to have done a sound job for Birmingham, Reading, Portsmouth and Cambridge since leaving us in his career of 676 games (so far).     
    Andre Bikey & Tal Ben Haim were preferred over him by Bob Peeters and he was moved on as a result, ridiculous decision in hindsight 
    That Bikey bloke could also do a job for us now.  No lack of physical strength there if I remember correctly. 
    Bikey was a big strong bloke yeah, also wasn't too slow either for his size. Remember him having a monster performance against Watford. 

Genuinely can't remember how he fell out of favour or what happened with him 
    If I remember correctly and this may be just a rumour but there was a training ground bust up between Peeters and Morrison after Peeters had completely dismissed Morrison and something extremely disrespectful had been said to him. Morrison reacted and they were pulled apart, he then left shortly after.

I'm probably biased because during those years I took my then young son to the kids Christmas party every year and Morrison was as nice a guy as you could meet, spent time chatting with all the kids having photos taken, absolutely loved Charlton, but I guess he was part of CP's squad and they all were good guys like that. When we went to the party when Peeters was in charge it was a completely different experience and as much as they were decent players I clearly remember Bikey and Ben Haim showing zero interest in being there. Not looking up to interact with the kids, on their phones completely going through the motions.

I realise it doesn't have much effect on their ability but it showed a lot about their personalities and I personally think letting Morrison go was up there with some of the worst decisions the club made, he has consistently played above our level and he would have led Charlton brilliantly over the years. Off the top of my head I can only think of Bauer that you could argue is a better centre half that we've had.
    Was this the occasion when a player got panned in Flemish and Gudmundsson spoke the language so understood?
  • Nug said:

That Bikey bloke could also do a job for us now.  No lack of physical strength there if I remember correctly. 
    Bikey was a big strong bloke yeah, also wasn't too slow either for his size. Remember him having a monster performance against Watford. 

If I remember correctly and this may be just a rumour but there was a training ground bust up between Peeters and Morrison after Peeters had completely dismissed Morrison and something extremely disrespectful had been said to him. Morrison reacted and they were pulled apart, he then left shortly after.

I'm probably biased because during those years I took my then young son to the kids Christmas party every year and Morrison was as nice a guy as you could meet, spent time chatting with all the kids having photos taken, absolutely loved Charlton, but I guess he was part of CP's squad and they all were good guys like that. When we went to the party when Peeters was in charge it was a completely different experience and as much as they were decent players I clearly remember Bikey and Ben Haim showing zero interest in being there. Not looking up to interact with the kids, on their phones completely going through the motions.

I realise it doesn't have much effect on their ability but it showed a lot about their personalities and I personally think letting Morrison go was up there with some of the worst decisions the club made, he has consistently played above our level and he would have led Charlton brilliantly over the years. Off the top of my head I can only think of Bauer that you could argue is a better centre half that we've had.
    Was this the occasion when a player got panned in Fleishman and Gudmundsson spoke the language so understood?
    Yes, that rings a bell now.
  • Nug said:

That sounds about right, as @Bailey said as well, it was something to do with playstyle. Funny how that works. It's almost like with a defender the first priority should be, can they defend rather than looking fancy on the ball ;) 

What could have been eh, Kermorgant and Morrison being let go was so detrimental to the club. Morrison went on to play above us for years and captain Birmingham? And Reading. One of my Blues mates holds Morrison in really high regard, Yann obviously at Bournemouth and Reading smashed it.

Meanwhile we had a number of frauds play for us in both positions since we let them go, such a shame. Such a poorly mismanaged club.

Morrison was certainly one of the best centre backs we have had since we were relegated from the premier league. Gomez, Konsa, Bauer, Morrison and probably Lockyer the best of the bunch for me. Maybe Pearce ahead of Konsa tbf as Konsa improved after he left us and played right back a lot 
  • mendonca said:
    Scott might publicly ask why Fraser and McGrandles started in front of an inform L Watson? 
    Maybe because they are our players?
  • mendonca said:
    Scott might publicly ask why Fraser and McGrandles started in front of an inform L Watson? 
    Maybe because they are our players?
    This was my theory.
    Appleton wanted to give Fraser & McGrandles a few more games so he can form a live opinion on them.
  • Unfortunately I suspect the number of players that MA rates is far lower than those he doesn’t plus 2 of those that are up to the mark I would say are almost certainly off in January. Not a chance we can bring anywhere near the number of players needed in January season effectively over I think
  • edited December 2023
    mendonca said:

Leaving aside the uproar there’d be if a club director started “interfering” in first team selection…

Appleton joined a club who had lost 4 of their first 5 league games, 6 of their first 8 in all comps. He needed to arrest the slide by utilising as many known quantities as he could.

Edun and McGrandles are obvious picks from that perspective, given they played so much football under him at Lincoln.

When it came to Fraser or Louie Watson, I simply think Fraser got the nod initially because of his perceived experience and track record of being a good player at the level while Watson is still growing into his career.

Then Louie Watson gets a chance to come back in the cups to prove that he shouldn’t have been dropped in the first place and puts in two of his worst performances in a Charlton shirt so far.

I like Louie Watson a lot and was surprised at the time when he was first left out. That’s when you have to try and step into the manager’s shoes and think of potential reasons for the decisions they’re making.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't get all this surrender "season over" stuff, I am still looking forward to the window...(I can hear the collective groan from here)...and I believe we are still 27 matches away from the season's end, and just 9 points off the top six, I am always a glass half full, and will reserve judgement till after the end of Jan if that's ok...🤔
    Oh, and I don't own a pair of rose tinted specs...😉
    Hear hear @eastterrace6168

Everyone thought the 18/19 season was over when we replaced Karlan Grant with Josh Parker. But we grew into the season & were probably the best team in the division by the end of it.

No doubting we’re still quite far off being how good that team was at the end - but as you say, 27 games. That’s a long old time in football.
    Weren’t we already in the play offs when Grant left though? 
  • Don't get all this surrender "season over" stuff, I am still looking forward to the window...(I can hear the collective groan from here)...and I believe we are still 27 matches away from the season's end, and just 9 points off the top six, I am always a glass half full, and will reserve judgement till after the end of Jan if that's ok...🤔

Everyone thought the 18/19 season was over when we replaced Karlan Grant with Josh Parker. But we grew into the season & were probably the best team in the division by the end of it.

No doubting we’re still quite far off being how good that team was at the end - but as you say, 27 games. That’s a long old time in football.
    Grant left 30th Jan 2019, unsure of our league position then...

Grant signed for Huddersfield in January 2019.

We were, but didn’t stop people saying that Roland was purposefully trying to ruin our season and we’d fall out of the top six relatively quickly and any hopes of getting promoted were gone.

A better comparison might be the season before where we were 9th in March when Bowyer took over, and we snuck into the play offs. 

I do think it’s nearly over though. 9 points at this stage isn’t impossible, but I think by the end of this month we will do well to keep the gap at 9 with our current injury list and recent performances. I’ve given up hope but if we can win a few games this month January could save us. Fixtures aren’t that difficult but the way we are playing at the moment does not fill me with much confidence 
  • edited December 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Don't get all this surrender "season over" stuff, I am still looking forward to the window...(I can hear the collective groan from here)...and I believe we are still 27 matches away from the season's end, and just 9 points off the top six, I am always a glass half full, and will reserve judgement till after the end of Jan if that's ok...🤔

A better comparison might be the season before where we were 9th in March when Bowyer took over, and we snuck into the play offs. 

I do think it’s nearly over though. 9 points at this stage isn’t impossible, but I think by the end of this month we will do well to keep the gap at 9 with our current injury list and recent performances. I’ve given up hope but if we can win a few games this month January could save us. Fixtures aren’t that difficult but the way we are playing at the moment does not fill me with much confidence 
    The table when Bowyer took over for the Plymouth game and had us finish 6th: 

A game in hand and just the 2 points outside 

Grant left 30th Jan 2019, unsure of our league position then...
    Our league position on Grants final game for us, I posted this before I believe: 
  • Sponsored links:

• NabySarr said:
    Don't get all this surrender "season over" stuff, I am still looking forward to the window...(I can hear the collective groan from here)...and I believe we are still 27 matches away from the season's end, and just 9 points off the top six, I am always a glass half full, and will reserve judgement till after the end of Jan if that's ok...🤔

Think that’s after the Plymouth game. I remember as I had money on Bowyer being our next manager and put it on because there were 10 games left (what bookies considered ‘permanent’) and I didn’t think RD would bother appointing anyone else 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Think that’s after the Plymouth game. I remember as I had money on Bowyer being our next manager and put it on because there were 10 games left (what bookies considered ‘permanent’) and I didn’t think RD would bother appointing anyone else 
    Even if it was, he still would have had a team 5 points adrift with 1 or 2 games in hand and with probably a better squad. 

It's of course not impossible to reach play offs but the problem is, there's too much competition for them this time, so we have to rely on other results for the rest of the season, it's not in our hands
  • Bailey said:
    Leuth said:

For a while they were both phenomenal tbf
    Indeed.

One of the best centre half pairing we've had since the Prem days.
    I think it was stated at the time that Morrison could not play out from the back and that was the reason he was first left out then sold. 
    Can't get over this obsession with playing out from the back... six sideways and backward passes later and by the time the ball gets into their half the opposition are prepared.  It's a rarity if a pass goes forward early. So predictable.

• edited December 2023
    Croydon said:

We were, but didn’t stop people saying that Roland was purposefully trying to ruin our season and we’d fall out of the top six relatively quickly and any hopes of getting promoted were gone.
    Effing huge difference to being in the top 6 to being 9 points off it. And that's before you even look at the quality of player we had that season. Incomparable situations imo
    That wasn’t the point I was trying to make though…

I wasn’t saying we got promoted then so we’ll get promoted now. I’m agreeing with the original post that there’s no reason to surrender yet - nothing more than that.

Nine points back with twenty seven games left to play isn’t insurmountable but if you disagree, you’re welcome to give up on Charlton until August 2024 and we’ll see you then.

What I meant to say, if it wasn’t clear, is that seasons are 46 games long and every team (unless you win all 46) will go through fluctuations in form. There’s plenty of reason to still be optimistic despite us going through a period of feeling down about recent results. No team is shit forever and no team is brilliant forever.

Every fanbase will have their moments where they think their team’s season is doomed or about to collapse at any moment, even the ones that do end in celebration.
  • Croydon said:

Effing huge difference to being in the top 6 to being 9 points off it. And that's before you even look at the quality of player we had that season. Incomparable situations imo

I wasn’t saying we got promoted then so we’ll get promoted now.

What I meant to say, if it wasn’t clear, is that seasons are 46 games long and every team (unless you win all 46) will go through fluctuations in form. There’s plenty of reason to still be optimistic despite us going through a period of feeling down about recent results. No team is shit forever and no team is brilliant forever.

Every fanbase will have their moments where they think their team’s season is doomed or about to collapse at any moment, even the ones that do end in celebration.
    Is anybody watching Portsmouth v Bolton?
    We're LIGHTYEARS behind them

• edited December 2023
    supaclive said:
    Croydon said:

I wasn’t saying we got promoted then so we’ll get promoted now.

Is anybody watching Portsmouth v Bolton?
    We're LIGHTYEARS behind them

We are, that's why we need to hope they both occupy the top2 and we sneak play-offs. Oxford United haven't won in their last league 3 league games and have an unproven manager at this level with their fans saying the performances have been pants. Stevenage are very beatable over two legs, same as Derby County. Barnsley have poor home form and seen a few disgruntled fans. 

• Just watching Pompey without the ball, their pressing is brilliant. They look very well coached, we mostly just run around like headless chickens without the ball