Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

1111213141517»

Comments

• Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    crazy to think that in only 2019 Luton v Southend was a league game
    That is why it's so frustrating, cause we could be either one of them in the next 5 years if we play our cards right, or wrong.
    Very true. 
    I have nothing against Brentford, but I can’t help comparing our relative positions and feeling pretty gutted. Find myself wanting them to lose, when I probably shouldn’t. 
    I totally agree with you. Why oh why cant learn from clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton. All clubs significantly smaller the Charlton
    Bournemouth & Luton with  11,000 average attendance are about our size.

Brentford with 17,000 they're much bigger than us now. 

We're not a big club anymore. 
  • cabbles said:
    We become a Southend and we’ll still have fans tugging off about new grounds and extolling the virtues of whatever load of shit is representing us and just cos we’re sitting 9th in Ryman league division cnut we still have a chance of promotion and a big derby against the Royal Oak vets to come 
    fuck oFF 
    😂 “he’ll make a good squad player”

”there’s a player in there”

”if there’s a chance to get Gilbey back, I think he could do a job at this level”

”we’re just 3 or 4 players off a team that could get in the top 7” 
    “With these players we should be top 2/top 6”

“We should be signing (insert opposition player’s name who’s just played a blinder against us)”
  • edited December 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    That is why it's so frustrating, cause we could be either one of them in the next 5 years if we play our cards right, or wrong.
    Very true. 
    I have nothing against Brentford, but I can’t help comparing our relative positions and feeling pretty gutted. Find myself wanting them to lose, when I probably shouldn’t. 
    I totally agree with you. Why oh why cant learn from clubs like Brentford, Bournemouth and Luton. All clubs significantly smaller the Charlton

Premier League might have something to do with it,..level playing ground we are as big or better…🤔
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 

Premier League might have something to do with it,..level playing ground we are as big or better…imo🤔
    We would do exactly what they're doing, the fair weather fans will be back. I know so many people that would go to Charlton if we were in the Premier league, some championship as well. Brentford wouldn't be anywhere near full capacity in League1

I know people who go to Brentford now who never followed football until recently.

That's the nature of football, we still have far bigger club potential than Brentford but of course, they're a bigger club currently as one of their players alone is worth more than our whole club.

Of course everything is relevant...but our day will return...🙏
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 

Premier League might have something to do with it,..level playing ground we are as big or better…imo🤔
    We would do exactly what they're doing, the fair weather fans will be back. I know so many people that would go to Charlton if we were in the Premier league, some championship as well. Brentford wouldn't be anywhere near full capacity in League1

I know people who go to Brentford now who never followed football until recently.

That's the nature of football, we still have far bigger club potential than Brentford but of course, they're a bigger club currently as one of their players alone is worth more than our whole club.

Stoke currently feeling the sting of premier league relegation and years of mediocrity.

The harsh reality is, you will lose fans
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 

Nope. If we were premier league we would get 20k + easily. We have far more potential than those clubs I mentioned
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 

Stoke currently feeling the sting of premier league relegation and years of mediocrity.

The harsh reality is, you will lose fans
    There are a large number of clubs who can realistically expect to be in the PL, but also realistically will spend many years outside it.

For a few years, they have their moment in the sun, but that isn't permanent. If you don't go straight back up, then losing parachute payments, while still being stuck with unwanted players on high salaries, will drag you back to Championship mediocrity or L1. 
  • edited December 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Melrose said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Very true. 

Are there many more Brentford fans than that? I wonder if their support would decline rapidly with a couple of relegations. Before they made it to the OL they hadn’t been in the top flight since 1947
  • Sponsored links:

• With some of the club examples mentioned here, surely you have to look at it from a percentage filled view, rather than actual attendance. 

While Luton and Bournemouth have tiny grounds compared to us, I presume they are 100% or close to capacity every home league game. We are very far from doing that currently, although it’s obvious if we ever make it back to Premier League, this would be vastly improved.