Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Am I the only one who thought Dobson was poor today? Good run at the end but lost count of the amount of misplaced passes and poor touches he had in the middle
    I've been thi king this of Dobbo for a few games now. Just seems distracted or something as his pass completion has been woeful. He could so with a break. That said he'd be in my team every week ahead of the alternatives. Fraser can get sold without any care whatsoever. Offers very little creatively. CBT redeemed himself as before the wonder cross for the goal, he had done precious little. Don't blame any of the youngsters as they are learning and should only be playing a bit part in our season.

Appleton isn't the messiah, but even if he was, most of these disciples would not be at his top table. Not saying they are Judas, just that they wouldn't be getting an invite to his last supper, which if things don't improve, I fear could be way too soon.

Football management is probably more likely to end in failure than solo mountaineering up the Eiger. In fact it is almost guaranteed to end in the sack.

Despite his shortcomings I'm still willing to give MA the season. Let's see what our esteemed owners equip him with from next year. 

• Solidgone said:
    Unfortunately we only have two players with that winning mentality; Dobson and May. And that is our failure in the recruitment process. 
    Kanu ? showed tenacity
    Deffo - I think all of the Kids come into the side with tenacity , will to win etc. it seems to get knocked out of them though.

Not sure why but all of them that seem to get a run in the team appear to get worse rather than better recently ? 
  • Probably the wrong time to ask but as we have  them next week, are Cambridge any good ?
    BTW Apples is not a good manager for you but I guess most of you are coming to that conclusion 
  • Grandsons missed the match today because Nan insisted on taking them to a panto. Reckon the pantomime I saw at The Valley was better than the one they saw!
  • RobRob
    edited December 2023
    I just knew we’d lose that. When we went 2-0 up I thought about the old cliche, 2-0 is a vulnerable lead and sure enough we conceded. I just knew we’d concede another. I said it to the missus and sure enough 5 minutes later they got the penalty. 

I think this is the most unintelligent bunch of players. I look at some of the things they do and just wonder how they’re playing the professional game. A lot of them just don’t have any bottle. 

It’s going to take committed owners and at least a couple of years to turn this around. We’ll see how committed they really are. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably the wrong time to ask but as we have  them next week, are Cambridge any good ?
    BTW Apples is not a good manager for you but I guess most of you are coming to that conclusion 
    Poor team, but plucky. 
  • Points chucked away due to Apples poor substitutions and another shit ref.

Decided to have a break from watching live it’s just too depressing, shit manager, shit players, shit referees and not allowed to have a shit in the ground.
  • A number of players either off their game, don’t care or both! Lion’s share of the blame to the manager though.
    Starting eleven rubbish again and no subs despite the obvious error and evident as we were under the cosh.
    Only poor finishing prevented us going in a goal or two down at half time.
    They scored their first and he still went ahead with the sub he intended to make. He didn’t have to. Taking off May and CBT were equally big mistakes as was throwing on another defender.
    We’ve seen what happens soany times over the years.
    i know we have injuries but no excuses, Appleton is clueless!
    You need to pick the right moment to play young and inexperienced players and the manger did that all wrong.
  • edited December 2023
    Probably the wrong time to ask but as we have  them next week, are Cambridge any good ?
    They will play for free kicks in your half and get the ball in the box, looking to cause panic and score off a knock down.

They will get the ball out wide and swing it in the box, looking for panic and score off knock downs.

Credit where it’s due: they got out of the blocks quick, not without some help from us… looking like eleven players who didn’t know how to trap a ball, let alone pass it to a red shirt. They also carried on right to the end and their work ethic earned them their two late goals.

I didn’t see anything more than a bottom half side who will stay up through passion and determination, rather than any supposed talent or attractive football. You should be able to beat them.
  • Did Elewere touch the ball? I got a sinking feeling as soon as he came on for May. Compounded once we decided to muck about with it in the corner with 5+ minutes to go. Agree it wasn’t a penalty but we don’t half love self-destructing. To make matters worse pics all over Twitter of SCP celebrating SW win. What a time to be an Addick. 
    At least 2 times he put it out of play 
  • Chunes said:
    I don't think we were robbed by the ref. We had 90 minutes to win that game, and we showed up for 30 of it.
    Yeah we were shocking in the first half. 
    Much better in the second half until their 1st goal. Overall the draw was a probably fair result, I’m not saying it wasn’t, but nonetheless football is a funny old game - we were all over them for 30 mins, and would have won it were it not for the referee. Doesn’t matter if we deserved the win. The fact is we would have won if he had done his job. You don’t give a pen unless you’re 100% sure it’s in the box.
    And now another weekend of negativity instead of ‘3 points, game of two halves, let’s learn from the mistakes and move on’. 
  • I think this is Apples 19th game in charge and we still haven't had a 90-minute performance, which is shocking. No wonder we can't string a few wins together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Appleton poor use of subs lost us that game.

Going to be a long second half of the season
  • The pen was a joke, even from the NU I could see it was outside - but we got what we deserved….barring the first 25 mins of the 2nd half it was utter shit

absolute spineless bunch of players (I can’t even call them pro’s) excluding May and Dobbo (possibly the worst game I’ve seen him have but he’s way in credit)
  • Ref had a shocker - just remembered the offside decision he gave against May and then proceeded to let them take the free kick in our half 
  • supaclive said:
    Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!
    Kanu has done more this season than Tedic - he's been very good in our games.   The only positive thing to say right now- oh and Hector has pulled his finger out his arse too it appears!

Meh
    The reason he took May and CBT off was to make sure they stayed fit. Think about this side without either player for the next ten games, Kanu would be our only forward and an out of form Tyreece Campbell would replace CBT. 
  • Has Maynard Brewer ever got near a penalty? 
    He really needs to be working on this - who’s goalkeeping coach these days?
    How does he 'work on this' ? Saving a penalty is down to guessing which way the penalty taker is going to place the penalty, some are good at saving pens, almost like a 'knack' but it can't be taught. 
  • Ref had a shocker - just remembered the offside decision he gave against May and then proceeded to let them take the free kick in our half 
    Yeah quite how someone can be offside in the own half I don't know. Unfortunately when you're at this dog shit level, the officials are of a similar standard.

• Bailey said:
    supaclive said:
    Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!
    Kanu has done more this season than Tedic - he's been very good in our games.   The only positive thing to say right now- oh and Hector has pulled his finger out his arse too it appears!

Meh
    The reason he took May and CBT off was to make sure they stayed fit. Think about this side without either player for the next ten games, Kanu would be our only forward and an out of form Tyreece Campbell would replace CBT. 
    No point in being a fortune teller and losing 2 points at the same time!
  • Fucking shite