Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Yes bringing Mbick on nit explicable but defenders and midfielders such Frazer and Dobson should be capable of seeing  the game out.
    This has been our problem all season at 2 up you should not find your self hanging on for a draw.
    Today are tackling except for the 45th to 50th mins was useless. Our forward passes aimless most of the match and seemed to loose must times when the ball broke free after a clearance.
    To poor teams in div 3 trying to play football and failing.
  • supaclive said:
    May & Dobbo have now crossed the nineteen game threshold to avoid suspensions for five bookings I believe.

That was probably why Appleton took him off when he did. Gets booked late and he missed Barnsley. Gets booked in Barnsley and there’s no repercussions.
    Great 
    In the meantime thrown 2 points away
    I swear we'd try and see the positive of a shit sandwich if we were served one at times!
    The bread was fresh 
  • edited December 2023
    I suspect the smart late tactic would have been to try to avoiding giving away set pieces as we are weak in that respect and it was probably their best chance of scoring. We are not a side who can sit deep and see a game out. Even though we won it, Wigan showed how shit we are at it. I don't think we should get rid of Appleton yet but do agree today was on him to a large degree, but he has got praise from us for previous changes, when we had a stronger bench. I do not understand why Rylah started instead of Kanu. I don't think I ever will and it wasn't fair on the lad as he looks a real prospect in the youths. I would say to Appleton, don't overthink it!
  • supaclive said:
    May & Dobbo have now crossed the nineteen game threshold to avoid suspensions for five bookings I believe.

That was probably why Appleton took him off when he did. Gets booked late and he missed Barnsley. Gets booked in Barnsley and there’s no repercussions.
    Great 
    I swear we'd try and see the positive of a shit sandwich if we were served one at times!
    Not trying to see a positive, just trying to provide a potential justification. If the ref hadn’t dropped a bollock, it would’ve paid off.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mid-table as fuck
  • Croydon said:
    Am I the only one who thought Dobson was poor today? Good run at the end but lost count of the amount of misplaced passes and poor touches he had in the middle
    Worst game I have seen him have.
    Hector was good though.
  • edited December 2023
    supaclive said:

Great 
    Not trying to see a positive, just trying to provide a potential justification. If the ref hadn’t dropped a bollock, it would’ve paid off.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.
    I have watched enough games and indeed, even when I played, I have always known that refs are more likely to make those sorts of decisions at the end of a game, favouring the team chasing the game. I suppose it is the human element, not a predisposed bias. 
  • Appleton yet again appeared to do nothing the first half when we were clearly second best. He made the obvious change for the second half, who’d have thought playing two strikers would be a good idea ???? Then when we were 2-0 up he started tinkering and making substitutions. We conceded two goals. 
    Crap manager. So beige it makes a beige Triumph Toledo exciting. 
  • edited December 2023
    Last 15 minutes we seemed to be fixated with being in "game management" mode instead of keeping on doing what was working quite well in the second half. It took 50 minutes for the players to get a foothold in the game and find their rhythm. Should have kept it there instead of switching. As for taking May off, absolutely bizarre decision, unless he had a knock.

Throwing away a 2-0 lead doesn't feel like a defeat, but the overall display of players and management leaves me feeling very defeated.
  • We can't keep clean sheets, so we will.go nowhere. Without Alfies goals we would be looking at a relegation scrap 
  • We need physically stronger, more experienced players.
    But Apples knows this.
    Last night Jim Rodwell said cash could be spent if required - I 🤔.
  • edited December 2023
    Need to get those points back at Barnsley now. A game I expect us to lose and did when I looked at the December games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrible first half, much better start to the second - primarily due to the magic of CBT - although everyone raised their performance by 5 percent.

Then Cambridge score and fragile Charlton disintegrate as expected.  The introduction of Elerewe for May was disastrous in my book.  Charlton are less at risk playing normally than relying on a vulnerable back line to keep the ball out - not to mention - the not so clever corner kick.

It all rests with January - although I'll not be holding my breath.

• Scrumpy mick  is clueless 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Has Maynard Brewer ever got near a penalty? 
    The Brighton Shoot Out
    Most keepers save a shot in a shoot out. I mean in actual game time. Has he even got a hand to one? 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Has Maynard Brewer ever got near a penalty? 
    The Brighton Shoot Out
    Most keepers save a shot in a shoot out. I mean in actual game time. Has he even got a hand to one? 
    Not that I can remember but that is not what you said
  • What do Charlton fans expect supporting this team?Its what we do its who we are.Nothing gives us the right to beat anyone as our position in division 3 shows.Ive been here too long to accept anything else.One day we'll be good again.
  • Solidgone said:
    Unfortunately we only have two players with that winning mentality; Dobson and May. And that is our failure in the recruitment process. 
    Kanu ? showed tenacity
  • We are a disgrace. They were by far the better team. We mugged them by getting a draw 

There is also a clear issue in the squad. When CBT laid the second on a plate for Campbell, only Edun congratulated him and then Hector later. Everyone else ignored him. 
    I noticed in the first half that they didn't pass the ball to CBT,  even when he was the obvious choice. It seemed very strange.