Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge Utd: Saturday 9th December 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Smithy said:
    Absolutely criminal first half performance with not a single player walking away with any credit, but senior players like Fraser in particular should hang their heads in shame. Any decent team would have been 3 or 4 up but Cambridge were poor. 

We were very comfortable at 2-0 but completely fell asleep. Appleton can take a good chunk of credit for bringing on a bunch of kids to see out a game. 

4 points and 3 grim performances against Carlisle, Cheltenham and Cambridge is completely unacceptable. Unless we pull off a miracle in the January window it’s another mid table finish at best. 
    Agree but 5 points.
  • Not getting anywhere near promotion with this set of players under this manager.  Need to spend our way out of this miserable league as it's just turgid also rans season after season with average players and limited managers working with them.
  • cafc_will said:
    Another manager showing the board the kids won’t work!
    Spot on.  What will they do about it?
  • I thought Hector had an excellent game. That is a positive.
    Not sure about the ‘excellent’ part but, like the little girl, when he’s good he’s very very good and when he’s not he’s horrid…
  • Sponsored links:

• How is the Linesman not seeing that? Dreadful decision.

That should be spotted but I had a feeling at the end that the red wanted to help them. It was the unchallenged header from the corner that cost us. Who is responsible for our set pieces?
  • Why take May off?
    What a dickhead!
    Kanu has done more this season than Tedic - he's been very good in our games.   The only positive thing to say right now- oh and Hector has pulled his finger out his arse too it appears!

Meh
  • How is the Linesman not seeing that? Dreadful decision.

The fact the ref was so confidently wrong about it as well. Idiot.
  • edited December 2023
    Smithy said:
    Absolutely criminal first half performance with not a single player walking away with any credit, but senior players like Fraser in particular should hang their heads in shame. Any decent team would have been 3 or 4 up but Cambridge were poor. 

We were very comfortable at 2-0 but completely fell asleep. Appleton can take a good chunk of credit for bringing on a bunch of kids to see out a game. 

4 points and 3 grim performances against Carlisle, Cheltenham and Cambridge is completely unacceptable. Unless we pull off a miracle in the January window it’s another mid table finish at best. 
    Isn’t that essentially what happened on Tuesday too? Obviously he can only work with the squad he’s been given, which is extremely mediocre, but it doesn’t feel as though he’s even doing the best with the minimal pieces he’s been given.

Hope he is provided with reinforcements in January but I’m not going to hold my breath.
  • Very disappointing but so just Charlton. Why does it happen game after game, season after season?

So unfair on Hector who was absolutely outstanding.  And apart from his mistake for the goal, Thomas was pretty good as well.

I'm losing faith in Appleton rapidly. Strange starting line up and formation. Starting young Rylah was just so wrong and unfair.

May not have been a penalty but let's be fair, Cambridge deserved a draw.

Season has ended this last 7 days big time. So disappointing.
  • Ref sounds bad enough that he should be in our current starting Xl 
  • I thought Hector had an excellent game. That is a positive.
    Leuth said:
    Ach. They actually fought hard and defended brilliantly second half until two moments let us down. And yes, you knew I'd say this, but feel especially bad for Hector, who'd played close to a perfect game. Convinced we're cursed, but if we'd had people who weren't kids to bring on, it might have helped. If Kanu coming on was one turning point, CBT going off was the other
    Gents, were you on psychedelics this afternoon? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    I was thinking for that pen, stay on your line in the middle, there was a lot of pressure on that for their taker, but we can't be too critical.
  • The worst league one in years and we are 9 points off the play offs with season over before Christmas.  Pathetic. Andy Scott's bunch of bottlers including manager.

Bit too soon to say the season is over, depending  upon what happens in the January window we could either be fighting for promotion or to avoid relegation on what we’ve seen so far so plenty to keep us interested 
  • Terrible subs by all accounts, Appleton clearly not the man for the job, probably a cheap as chips appointment.
    Why did Rylah start, why bring on Mbrick. Look back on Appleton's career never stays long before being sacked.
    Look forward to his after match excuses. Clearly a crap, desperate appointment!
  • edited December 2023
    Has Maynard Brewer ever got near a penalty? 
    He just seems to flop to the floor, I mean actually put some effort into stopping the shot even if it’s going in the opposite corner 😤.