Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

123457»

Comments

• I reckon pre the game ,80% of Charlton fans would have preferred Louie Watson to have started in the cauldron of Brunton Park on Saturday.

• Just about thawed out from the game...helped by Avanti West coast turning the temp up to 40C on the train home yesterday.. Anyway..nothing new to add to the above..we should have won but didn't...but I did want to give a special shout out to the absolute bell who nearly gave himself a heart attack abusing the lino throughout the game...there are some very special people among us...
  • Fraser was a good choice IMO, it is just as the quality delivery we expected wasn't there on Saturday. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Fraser helped us run the game while he was on. Nothing wrong with his selection
  • A Appleton is overthinking it, not playing Louis Watson because a few extra thousand Carlisle fans were turning up. Just play your best team to win the game and let them deal with us. They were awful, but he was worried about ‘dealing’ with a few extra fans - I don’t get it ! 
    Me neither, I don't buy his explanation. Does L Watson really need consideration for games where the crowd is a bit bigger. Perhaps he put Fraser in there thinking it'd be enough to see off Carlisle and it didn't work out. 

• What is this assumption we'd have definitely won with Watson playing? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    What is this assumption we'd have definitely won with Watson playing? 
    Of course we may not have done but I'm sure the stats will show we do better with him starting than not. 
  • edited November 2023
    A Appleton is overthinking it, not playing Louis Watson because a few extra thousand Carlisle fans were turning up. Just play your best team to win the game and let them deal with us. They were awful, but he was worried about ‘dealing’ with a few extra fans - I don’t get it ! 
    Me neither, I don't buy his explanation. Does L Watson really need consideration for games where the crowd is a bit bigger. Perhaps he put Fraser in there thinking it'd be enough to see off Carlisle and it didn't work out. 

L. Watson is on loan from Luton. Someone had better tell them as over the weekend there were 52,000 at Man City & Newcastle and almost 60,000 at Spurs !!

But as usual its just guff from the manager. He has no clue what his best 18 is, let alone his best 11. Play Fraser, drop Watson. Play Watson, drop McGrandells. Play May as a 10, then play him wide right. 

Sometimes I wish we were back in the 70's & 80's where mangers had just 1 sub to use & the first 11 picked themselves (bar injuries)
  • I will be amazed if on Charlton's big pitch Louie Watson doesn't play a major part against Cheltenham. Louie's a baller but I hadn't noticed that he's can always play 90 minutes, let alone two games in 4 days and make a major impact. 

There are 46 games plus our mighty FA cup runs(WTF)  and players do rotate in certain positions NOT JUST AT CHARLTON.
  • Leuth said:
    What is this assumption we'd have definitely won with Watson playing? 
    No assumption at all, it’s just we’ve been more effective this season with him in the team 
  • A Appleton is overthinking it, not playing Louis Watson because a few extra thousand Carlisle fans were turning up. Just play your best team to win the game and let them deal with us. They were awful, but he was worried about ‘dealing’ with a few extra fans - I don’t get it ! 

L. Watson is on loan from Luton. Someone had better tell them as over the weekend there were 52,000 at Man City & Newcastle and almost 60,000 at Spurs !!

But as usual its just guff from the manager. He has no clue what his best 18 is, let alone his best 11. Play Fraser, drop Watson. Play Watson, drop McGrandells. Play May as a 10, then play him wide right. 

Sometimes I wish we were back in the 70's & 80's where mangers had just 1 sub to use & the first 11 picked themselves (bar injuries)
    You’re dealing with a load of League One players of relatively limited ability whose form goes up and down like a yo-yo, and with a surfeit of midfielders. 
    How is he supposed to know who his best midfielders are if he doesn’t try different combinations? It’s something of a miracle that he’s getting a tune out of McGrandles for example, and that wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t put him in the team, at someone’s expense. 
  • We won due to poor refereeing not good football.
    Our defence can't keep a clean sheet
    Our defenders and midfield have a habit of passing to the opposition
    CBT while a wizard on the wing has poor decision making when he makes the final pass or shot
    May has not had a shot on target, except the penalties, for the last two games against poor opposition

It was a poor display last night but it was a win and there were some positives with Edun linking well with CBT, AMB more confident, Jones improving and Alfie never giving up, but the  rest are just average L1 journeymen
  • edited January 4
    So Holy decides his best performance of the season should be against Charlton and then a month later this happens against Cheltenham.