Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• May on the right, is fine if most of the game he is able to cut inside, and be in the box.

Instead yesterday, he seemed to too often be an actual right winger. One brilliant cross he put in desperately needed a May type to tap it in.

He even took a corner in the second half, a decent one too. Yes May won't win first headers in the box, BUT you surely want him in the middle to poach the knock-downs.
    The same thought occurred to me when May took that second half corner - although not as bad as Roy Hodgson deploying Harry Kane to take corners in Euro 2016 !
  • redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.
    Still not convinced Appleton knows what the fuck he is doing. Playing May out wide and not playing Louie Watson supports this
    Have you ever thought that he may be told who to pick and in what position?
    Well, if that's the case.....we don't need a manager then, do we :)
  • redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Still not convinced Appleton knows what the fuck he is doing. Playing May out wide and not playing Louie Watson supports this
    No, cause as a head coach he picks the best team from what he has it his disposal. Nothing to do with Scott or whoever 

Does he have a choice what players come into the club? He may have a say, but the final call in my opinion is Scott’s. Like the last 4 brought into the club. 

• My only real grumble was how often we picked out their keeper, he seemed a big lad but I thought we didn't really wise up.
  • I may be in the minority here  but Dobson was woeful yesterday, I would have brought L Watson on for him alongside Fraser and Mcgrandles in the 2nd half. To me it looks as though Dobbo could do with a good rest, so that he is firing on all cylinders over the hectic December period.
    Was Dobsons worst game for us this season and I can remember tbh. So many poor passes and was late to so many balls. Seemed well off the boil. 

No coincidence our form has dipped since Aneke got injured, that man is worth his weight in gold when avaliable.

Might be controversial, but I'd be more than happy to see Miles sold (as it's inevitable anyway) for the right price and bring in Clarke-Harris in January. He doesn't start for Peterbrough anymore, but one man's trash, is another man's treasure. In our case he could be the strike partner May needs. 
  • Blucher said:
    May on the right, is fine if most of the game he is able to cut inside, and be in the box.

Instead yesterday, he seemed to too often be an actual right winger. One brilliant cross he put in desperately needed a May type to tap it in.

He even took a corner in the second half, a decent one too. Yes May won't win first headers in the box, BUT you surely want him in the middle to poach the knock-downs.
    The same thought occurred to me when May took that second half corner - although not as bad as Roy Hodgson deploying Harry Kane to take corners in Euro 2016 !
    At one point yesterday, May was marking their keeper at a corner.
  • I may be in the minority here  but Dobson was woeful yesterday, I would have brought L Watson on for him alongside Fraser and Mcgrandles in the 2nd half. To me it looks as though Dobbo could do with a good rest, so that he is firing on all cylinders over the hectic December period.
    Was Dobsons worst game for us this season and I can remember tbh. So many poor passes and was late to so many balls. Seemed well off the boil. 

No coincidence our form has dipped since Aneke got injured, that man is worth his weight in gold when avaliable.

Might be controversial, but I'd be more than happy to see Miles sold (as it's inevitable anyway) for the right price and bring in Clarke-Harris in January. He doesn't start for Peterbrough anymore, but one man's trash, is another man's treasure. In our case he could be the strike partner May needs. 
    Agree with this - he has potential and shows flashes of real quality but there is a lot missing from his game and right now we need a consistent, rounded physical striker to compliment May, not somebody learning his trade  - i think there's some real rose tinted specs on from a lot of people re miles - as has been said, he should be being used as a bit part coming in and out of the side but if we need the money to get what we need, i think we should take a sizeable offer coz unless chucks suddenly solves his injury problems, we aren't gonna win enough away games to get where we need to be this season.
  • Blucher said:
    May on the right, is fine if most of the game he is able to cut inside, and be in the box.

I suppose at least he could try and subtly obstruct the goalie (albeit not quite in the manner of Jack Charlton back in the day). It was also funny - if a little worrying - that Alfie was marking the giant Raggett for Pompey's corners. Raggett certainly found it funny.
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Roland, is that you??
  • To be fair to Carlisle, they're not a bad team. They've not got much cutting edge, but they're solid and well organised.

For all the shots we had, it's not as if we missed sitter after sitter.
  • edited November 2023
    WhoScored’s team of the week (very likely to be close to, if not the same, as the official team of the week since that’s also based off of WhoScored ratings)

• Not seen any of their game, but surprised only 2 Bolton players make the best 11!
  • Blucher said:
    Blucher said:

I suppose at least he could try and subtly obstruct the goalie (albeit not quite in the manner of Jack Charlton back in the day). It was also funny - if a little worrying - that Alfie was marking the giant Raggett for Pompey's corners. Raggett certainly found it funny.
    Head butt to the bollocks perhaps?
  • WhoScored’s team of the week (very likely to be close to, if not the same, as the official team of the week since that’s also based off of WhoScored ratings)

Piergianni in the player rankings again, he got team of the season last year in league 2 and he's well on course to being in it again in league 1. Can't be many defenders who step up like that.

Still think that he should be one of our main targets. 8 aerial duals won alone yesterday and was their most accurate passing defender with 70%. 

Some people might be surprised to see Tennai in there, but he won 7 aerial duals, more than any other CAFC player and of course got the assist.

One stat I've looked at that I find interesting, not one Charlton midfielder won an aerial dual yesterday, all of Carlisles midfielders won at least one. That needs to be addressed. 
  • To be fair to Carlisle, they're not a bad team. They've not got much cutting edge, but they're solid and well organised.

They're not a bad team ???

They are 3rd from bottom - Out of the 2 teams below them 1 team didn't score for a dozen games & the other have had a points deduction. I wasn't expecting a 7-0 demolition like Bolton did to Exeter but once ahead we should have gone on to win by 2 or 3. 

There always seems to be excuses on this board. Excuses for the manager, for this player & that player. And then the usual " lets wait until January when we will strengthen..." Year after year we hear the same old same old. As I said back in the summer, I wasn't going to buy a ST and  I didn't. I hardly ever go now and unless things change I will continue to vote with my feet. I'll buy the stream on Tuesday & will go to the Burton match just before xmas. This season will peter out just like the last couple have. We are mid table & thats where we will stay. We will lose CBT, Dobson & Leaburn in the summer (if not before) and with other players out of contract & loanees going back next summer will just be the same old rebuild that goes on every season......and again I'll be saying in July that we are behind others & have failed to strengthen. Then I'll be shot down again & told I'm miserable and just be patient. 

Last 2 seasons the teams that me (and tbf a few others) have said that were ahead of the curve were Ipswich & Pompey. But they had got it wrong & should have waited until late August to bring players in.

Gah.
    Getting promoted isn’t easy. It’s an easy prediction to make because you’ll be right more often than you’ll be wrong…
  • Sponsored links:

They're not a bad team ???

They are 3rd from bottom - Out of the 2 teams below them 1 team didn't score for a dozen games & the other have had a points deduction. I wasn't expecting a 7-0 demolition like Bolton did to Exeter but once ahead we should have gone on to win by 2 or 3. 

There always seems to be excuses on this board. Excuses for the manager, for this player & that player. And then the usual " lets wait until January when we will strengthen..." Year after year we hear the same old same old. As I said back in the summer, I wasn't going to buy a ST and  I didn't. I hardly ever go now and unless things change I will continue to vote with my feet. I'll buy the stream on Tuesday & will go to the Burton match just before xmas. This season will peter out just like the last couple have. We are mid table & thats where we will stay. We will lose CBT, Dobson & Leaburn in the summer (if not before) and with other players out of contract & loanees going back next summer will just be the same old rebuild that goes on every season......and again I'll be saying in July that we are behind others & have failed to strengthen. Then I'll be shot down again & told I'm miserable and just be patient. 

Last 2 seasons the teams that me (and tbf a few others) have said that were ahead of the curve were Ipswich & Pompey. But they had got it wrong & should have waited until late August to bring players in.

Gah.
    More to do with player quality than timing of the additions, although I accept there's is a correlation. I believe we will remain mid table given what we have available to us. To make the play offs would be a pleasant surprise, so I don't have that expectation now. 
  • shirty5 said:
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    No, cause as a head coach he picks the best team from what he has it his disposal. Nothing to do with Scott or whoever 

Does he have a choice what players come into the club? He may have a say, but the final call in my opinion is Scott’s. Like the last 4 brought into the club. 

I’m sure he will have a say on players. It would be nuts if he didn’t. They can talk to each other. They probably see each other day to day. It’s nuts to think they wouldn’t talk about it. 
  • Lavelle has “a lot of respect for the club and for some people”

🤔
    Tracey
  • Melrose said:
    May had a poor game, and I don’t think that was because he was out wide. Poor games happen to the best of them. 
  • edited November 2023
    WhoScored’s team of the week (very likely to be close to, if not the same, as the official team of the week since that’s also based off of WhoScored ratings)

“Official” team of the week. Hamilton pushed to right back to fit Poku in at Tennai’s expense. Poku’s rating was 8.3, same as Tennai, so unsure why they’ve done that.

• Not 100% on topic but am I right in thinking we haven’t had a single suspension yet? If so does anyone know when we last went this far without one? 
  • Letting Lavelle score like a seasoned left footed forward has ruined my weekend!
  • edited November 2023
    As many have already said, games like this are the kind of games that playoff-chasing teams can and really should win. Even accounting for the relatively decent record and heightened crowd from the new ownership, we've got to put teams like this away to give ourselves half a chance. Once again, we're foiled away from home and we give away cheap goals. Hector and, to a lesser extent, Jones, both have the capacity for errors or poor decisions that will cost us games - neither one of them had the foresight to challenge the ball played straight across to either of the Carlisle players queuing up for the free shot from our penalty spot. This has been consistent across the games we've lost this season and will, ultimately, be a major contributing factor if miss out on the playoffs once again.

Defensively are where our main problems lie and I'd move heaven and earth to have another experienced CB in January to give ourselves a chance. Fraser continually fails to impress me with a supreme lack of energy and general desire as far as I am concerned - May in the hole behind a forward is better than Fraser. I'm fine with McGrandles and Dobson for away games, while L Watson needs to given the chance in home games and brought on from the 60-70 in away games. Leaburn is not a hold up striker - he showed better glimpses on Saturday, but I would prefer to return Tedic in January and get someone who has experience in doing that on loan or spend the money. I agree with Bowyer that playing two strikers in some form is what you need to be successful in this league. I'd give an arm and a leg for someone to hold up play properly for May et al - the Chuks situation plays into this, but I remain immensely disappointed that the, imo, best L1 player in the role that I saw do this against us was available and we didn't (seemingly) go in for him. It's so disappointing we don't have a "big man" to support May.

Postively, Appleton's PPG is not terrible, but he needs to turn 2-3 losses into draws and draws into wins. We need to better deal with teams away from home, because we're so reliant on the home form to stay relevant. I have fears that the defense is simply not good enough - Hector remains the liability and we're not nasty and clinical enough away from home. Unless we drastically reduce the mistakes, I think we'll come up short yet again.

Once again, transfer windows become very, very important. It's so dreary to be in March and stuck playing for nothing - the holiday period will be huge for us keeping hold of people like Dobbo and CBT. We can write us off without them if they go in January, but it's still a bad situation if we lose them from mediocrity and they want to go in the summer.
  • In terms of the play offs we are 2 points worse off than we were at 3pm this afternoon.

Yes, we now have 2 home games (albeit 11 days apart) to put that right and secure 6 points. In fact 3 out of our next 4 games are at home against teams below us. 

But will we ?  We all know that we aren't great against teams struggling towards the bottom of the table. I wouldn't bet against us dropping points in those 3 games & being further adrift as xmas approaches. 
    We have taken most of our points from bottom half clubs though