Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• edited November 2023
    There are positives to take from the game and we end it in a pretty similar place to where we started it. We have the quality without question but the next step is can we make it pay? The season isn't over but we are still a work in progress. Two home games coming up that require 6 points. Knee jerk reactions are not needed really. Let's take from the game that we are a distance above teams like Carlisle and fine tune that.
  • fenaddick said:
    I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

Clearly he isn't usually as good as he was today OR we didn't exploit his weaknesses.
    think his weakness is probably his distribution. he didn’t seem to play the ball with his feet much and any team in the top half of L1 and above wants you to do that
    fenaddick said:
    I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

Clearly he isn't usually as good as he was today OR we didn't exploit his weaknesses.
    think his weakness is probably his distribution. he didn’t seem to play the ball with his feet much and any team in the top half of L1 and above wants you to do that
    The guy from the Carlisle podcast said on the Charlton Live pre-match pod that their defence has been sound this season, when they've lost they've generally only let in one goal........ if it's been the same keeper most games then he's likely quite decent.
    not doubting his shot stopping or ability when it comes to crosses, just trying to rationalise why he’s at Carlisle! 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Appleton clearly does not rate Tedic, so I really don't understand why we have not recalled Kanu who has first team experience, even a goal and would give us an alternative from the bench which is something on games like today we really needed.
    Because Kanu is better off starting and playing the majority of games at this stage in his development. Sticking him on the bench isn’t going to help him. Sometimes we need to think longer term. 

I know it’s frustrating we don’t have a decent striker on the bench, but personally Kanu is in the right place for now. 
    Don’t think Kanu has scored since banging in four in one game. Agree he’s better off where he is.
  • I thought his handling looked weak. It is just we didn't play to his weaknesses.
  • Pretty much controlled it from start to finish. Shame we left our shooting boots at home. Really unlucky for the Carlisle goal, the deflection off Watson caused chaos.

No one played poorly IMO, equally no one outstanding.

Think the takeover and bigger crowd lifted Carlisle and they defended for their lives, which made things harder than they might have been.

Only real criticism is that Appleton left the changes very late. Would have taken Watson off as he looked knackered in the last 20 mins.

Going forward it's number 10 or upfront for Alfie. Wasted on the right of the front 3.
    100% agree, he needed to be on the end of his own crosses...
  • Feels like this will be a frustrating season where we are always going to be a couple of wins from the play off positions.

If we can strengthen in January I think we have a chance 
  • Sponsored links:

• In terms of the play offs we are 2 points worse off than we were at 3pm this afternoon.

Yes, we now have 2 home games (albeit 11 days apart) to put that right and secure 6 points. In fact 3 out of our next 4 games are at home against teams below us. 

But will we ?  We all know that we aren't great against teams struggling towards the bottom of the table. I wouldn't bet against us dropping points in those 3 games & being further adrift as xmas approaches. 
  • Lord that was frustrating.

We played some lovely football at times and were so much the better team it is crazy we haven't won. But we just couldn't get the ball past that blooming keeper.

Talking of him, given he seems about 7 foot tall, the one thing I would moan about is the fact we kept banging in high, hanging crosses that he just gobbled up. One of the few times we put a hard, low cross in we scored.

Thought Edun put in the best display I've seen from him so far. 

Appleton has got a difficult decision to make with where he plays May. Today playing him on the right just didn't work. He should have moved him into the centre much earlier.

And I just hope those new Carlisle owners have got very deep pockets because they are going to need them from what we saw today.
    They must have some money because on Radio Cumbria the owner said that they’ve been in communication with Carlisle City Council about finding land for a new stadium and also a new training ground. At the same time they said nothing about league ambitions other than staying in League one. They sound like a sensible Sandgaard.
    Why do they need a new stadium? What's wrong with doing up Brunton Park?

If i was a Carlisle fan, the alarm bells might be ringing if one of the first thing new owners wanted to do was find a new ground.

If you had lived for 2 years in Carlisle as I have, you might see it differently. When it rains heavily the river rises so high it’s incredible. I remember walking to the university campus in astonishment.
    ’Before the flood in 2015, the club was looking to relocate," he added. “The normal model is to sell the existing land, but the value of our land is very uncertain.

"Anybody who knows Carlisle knows that our stadium would come under the banner of 'very traditional'. It is a 1950s-style stadium in desperate need of investment to bring the facilities up to modern standards and to meet the expectations of fans.

"The flood risk around us and the impact on the value of the site, be it to help us secure investment or acquire value for relocation, has been all-but destroyed by flood risk.

“That undermines our ability to develop the club and be resilient, coupled with an insurance risk hanging over us and the threat of the situation getting worse in generations to come.’

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2021/november/chief-exec-it-does-cause-real-concern/
  • Lord that was frustrating.

We played some lovely football at times and were so much the better team it is crazy we haven't won. But we just couldn't get the ball past that blooming keeper.

Talking of him, given he seems about 7 foot tall, the one thing I would moan about is the fact we kept banging in high, hanging crosses that he just gobbled up. One of the few times we put a hard, low cross in we scored.

Thought Edun put in the best display I've seen from him so far. 

Appleton has got a difficult decision to make with where he plays May. Today playing him on the right just didn't work. He should have moved him into the centre much earlier.

And I just hope those new Carlisle owners have got very deep pockets because they are going to need them from what we saw today.
    They must have some money because on Radio Cumbria the owner said that they’ve been in communication with Carlisle City Council about finding land for a new stadium and also a new training ground. At the same time they said nothing about league ambitions other than staying in League one. They sound like a sensible Sandgaard.
    Why do they need a new stadium? What's wrong with doing up Brunton Park?

If i was a Carlisle fan, the alarm bells might be ringing if one of the first thing new owners wanted to do was find a new ground.

If you had lived for 2 years in Carlisle as I have, you might see it differently. When it rains heavily the river rises so high it’s incredible. I remember walking to the university campus in astonishment.
    ’Before the flood in 2015, the club was looking to relocate," he added. “The normal model is to sell the existing land, but the value of our land is very uncertain.

"Anybody who knows Carlisle knows that our stadium would come under the banner of 'very traditional'. It is a 1950s-style stadium in desperate need of investment to bring the facilities up to modern standards and to meet the expectations of fans.

"The flood risk around us and the impact on the value of the site, be it to help us secure investment or acquire value for relocation, has been all-but destroyed by flood risk.

“That undermines our ability to develop the club and be resilient, coupled with an insurance risk hanging over us and the threat of the situation getting worse in generations to come.’

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2021/november/chief-exec-it-does-cause-real-concern/
    Fair enough if that's the case.
  • Can’t understand why we kept pulling balls into the box, for their keeper to catch. We need a bit of a brain when playing.
  • edited November 2023
    All the possession for most of the first half and actually created some decent chances, just couldn’t convert them. 

Had them on the ropes after our goal but let them back in the game too easily and couldn’t get out of our own half before the inevitable. They targeted T.Watson all game and eventually got their reward. He may have assisted our goal, but he’s not good enough defensively.

Really don’t understand why L.Watson doesn’t start every game. May needs to play through the middle more, thought Edun was our best player today. Off day for Dobson who gave the ball away cheaply too often. 

Two points dropped. Another season in League One beckons. 
  • A fucking mission 
  • Didn't see any of the game but not the best of results 
    We will always have games like today where it just doesn't go our way 
    I wouldn't write us off for a playoff place as I think we have enough in this team to make them 

• Sponsored links:

• Lavelle criticised and rejected by CAFC for poor defending scores an equaliser which they barely deserved against a defence that had lost its compass.The irony of it is totally Charlton.
  • Crap game of football, won't be making a video for it as I truly don't want to put the effort into making one. 

Probably could have won that game tbf as we did have chances, just players passing was off today. Too many rushed decisions.

Still think we need bodies in January as this team doesn't have what it takes to go up imo. 

New ground ticked for me, that's a positive
  • Weird comment from Lavelle didn’t see the shit he got on social media, I liked him when he played for us as well 

Should have won but we just aren’t quite good enough 

Great numbers today they deserve better 
  • Crap game of football, won't be making a video for it as I truly don't want to put the effort into making one. 

Probably could have won that game tbf as we did have chances, just players passing was off today. Too many rushed decisions.

Still think we need bodies in January as this team doesn't have what it takes to go up imo. 

New ground ticked for me, that's a positive
    Shame you won't be doing a video. One off or are you getting fed up with doing them? Agree that this team doesn't have what it takes to get promotion. Too fragile and not enough nouse. I think on our day we can pull off a result against almost anyone in the league but likewise can be beaten by anyone. 
    Hope you do more videos, have been enjoying them this season.
  • Fleetwood are the longest serving team in League One currently.  All the way back to 2013/14…..we could be the Fleetwood of the south if we play our cards right 
  • clb74 said:
    I'd like to say a big thank you to Avanti west coast for such a enjoyable journey today

Did ya nick the lightbulbs and throw the seat cushions out the window?
  • This team isn’t at present a promotion side.Lets see what the new owners do in the January window to see where our club is going.
  • Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.