Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Frustrating but more disappointed than anything. Got to keep within touching distance of play offs by January and then lets see what transfer business we do. Of course we will need to hold onto to a few key players as well.
  • Should have won that by 4 or 5 - Carlisle are shite

Hey ho - Charlton Athletic 🙄
  • Tbh their keeper had a blinder.
    It happens.
  • Leuth said:
    I'm actually on team Golfie today. Yeah, would be nice to keep clean sheets. But blaming the defence for us not winning today would be a bit ridiculous. We had a lot of chances to score. We should absolutely have gotten more than one goal.

On the plus side, McGrandles and Fraser ran the show for over an hour, and our full-backs, often a problem, were fantastic
    It's not like Carlisle were very threatening though was it? Should've been a routine afternoon of defending but once again we give a gift. 
  • Bloody Lavelle.
  • KettsJohn said:
    Frustrating but more disappointed than anything. Got to keep within touching distance of play offs by January and then lets see what transfer business we do. Of course we will need to hold onto to a few key players as well.
    And that's the worrying thing.

The only realistic chance we have of hanging onto Dobson, Blackett-Taylor and Leaburn is for us to go up this year. If we don't all 3 will be off. 

And then it's another rebuild in the summer. Just like the ones we have had for what seems like the last 20 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• If May is played on the right wing it is job to track back the left wing back, he didn't as he just stopped and watched the goal happen. If TC had been on the right we would have probably tracked back, this shows that May should play number ten or as the main striker.
  • edited November 2023
    I don't know why I'm so annoyed, I never thought we were going up this year. Maybe because it's just the same old, same old. 

We have never done the business in these blocks of 'easier' games so don't hold your breath about the next few.
  • Tbh their keeper had a blinder.
    It happens.
    Did he have to any memorable saves? Most set pieces were down his throat 
  • A disappointing result on the whole but I do think pre Appleton we lose that game. Edun & T Watson were excellent and McGrandles solid. Was always going to be tough for Leaburn against 3 CBs, think today was probably a day for May in the 10 rather than the win. Missed their goal so can’t comment on that. Main takeaway is we need to be more ruthless and kill games off 
  • edited November 2023
    Talal said:
    Leuth said:
    I'm actually on team Golfie today. Yeah, would be nice to keep clean sheets. But blaming the defence for us not winning today would be a bit ridiculous. We had a lot of chances to score. We should absolutely have gotten more than one goal.

On the plus side, McGrandles and Fraser ran the show for over an hour, and our full-backs, often a problem, were fantastic
    It's not like Carlisle were very threatening though was it? Should've been a routine afternoon of defending but once again we give a gift. 
    Not to mention Hector almost gifting them one earlier. 
  • I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

Clearly he isn't usually as good as he was today OR we didn't exploit his weaknesses.
  • KettsJohn said:
    Frustrating but more disappointed than anything. Got to keep within touching distance of play offs by January and then lets see what transfer business we do. Of course we will need to hold onto to a few key players as well.
    And that's the worrying thing.

The only realistic chance we have of hanging onto Dobson, Blackett-Taylor and Leaburn is for us to go up this year. If we don't all 3 will be off. 

And then it's another rebuild in the summer. Just like the ones we have had for what seems like the last 20 years.
    To be honest from his last few games Leaburn has not seem interested. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

Clearly he isn't usually as good as he was today OR we didn't exploit his weaknesses.
    think his weakness is probably his distribution. he didn’t seem to play the ball with his feet much and any team in the top half of L1 and above wants you to do that
  • as @LoOkOuT says above ..I’m still not quite sure why Appleton doesn’t keep Louis Watson in the side over McGrandles. It seems Watson brings more much needed impetus and drive alongside Dobson'. UN QUOTE .. the selected 3 all lack pace and therefore bring the twin negatives of the inability to adequately support neither attack nor defence

Anyway .. THE GAME .. we got a point when we 'should have got 3', BUT there is never no 'should have' about it, an inability to neither score nor to not concede goals is the problem. Nil points are awarded for technique and presentation .. I typed in the preview that Carlisle won at Bolton so they can't be that shabby

A point is better than zilch and we are still on the tails of the play offs despite a lot of players looking off the pace and out of form
  • fenaddick said:
    I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

think his weakness is probably his distribution. he didn’t seem to play the ball with his feet much and any team in the top half of L1 and above wants you to do that
    fenaddick said:
    I said on the match thread, that I rated Holy when he was at Gillingham and a move to Ipswich, so when he looks so good today, you wonder how he ended up at Carlisle.

The guy from the Carlisle podcast said on the Charlton Live pre-match pod that their defence has been sound this season, when they've lost they've generally only let in one goal........ if it's been the same keeper most games then he's likely quite decent.
  • Lord that was frustrating.

We played some lovely football at times and were so much the better team it is crazy we haven't won. But we just couldn't get the ball past that blooming keeper.

Talking of him, given he seems about 7 foot tall, the one thing I would moan about is the fact we kept banging in high, hanging crosses that he just gobbled up. One of the few times we put a hard, low cross in we scored.

Thought Edun put in the best display I've seen from him so far. 

Appleton has got a difficult decision to make with where he plays May. Today playing him on the right just didn't work. He should have moved him into the centre much earlier.

And I just hope those new Carlisle owners have got very deep pockets because they are going to need them from what we saw today.
    They must have some money because on Radio Cumbria the owner said that they’ve been in communication with Carlisle City Council about finding land for a new stadium and also a new training ground. At the same time they said nothing about league ambitions other than staying in League one. They sound like a sensible Sandgaard.
  • Lord that was frustrating.

We played some lovely football at times and were so much the better team it is crazy we haven't won. But we just couldn't get the ball past that blooming keeper.

Talking of him, given he seems about 7 foot tall, the one thing I would moan about is the fact we kept banging in high, hanging crosses that he just gobbled up. One of the few times we put a hard, low cross in we scored.

Thought Edun put in the best display I've seen from him so far. 

Appleton has got a difficult decision to make with where he plays May. Today playing him on the right just didn't work. He should have moved him into the centre much earlier.

And I just hope those new Carlisle owners have got very deep pockets because they are going to need them from what we saw today.
    They must have some money because on Radio Cumbria the owner said that they’ve been in communication with Carlisle City Council about finding land for a new stadium and also a new training ground. At the same time they said nothing about league ambitions other than staying in League one. They sound like a sensible Sandgaard.
    Why do they need a new stadium? What's wrong with doing up Brunton Park?

If i was a Carlisle fan, the alarm bells might be ringing if one of the first thing new owners wanted to do was find a new ground.

• edited November 2023
    Tbh their keeper had a blinder.
    It happens.
    He played alright but I wouldn't say he was a game changer. He was a big bloke and we kept floating high balls up near him. We needed to do something to get him stooping and grovelling. It never really happened.
  • Something to learn from todays game..

1; When you have a 6'8" blob in goal...DON'T KEEP ON & ON & ON PUTTING CROSSES IN THE BOX AND GIVING HIM CATCHING PRACTICE...ok

We needed to change things up, but for some reason couldn't, they led a very charmed life, and an easier winnable game we will not encounter all season, just not good enough in the end...shame, but we go again at home to Alfie's old mob Tuesday...

Yep, it was just like feeding a pig 🐷 cherries 🍒 
  • Pretty much controlled it from start to finish. Shame we left our shooting boots at home. Really unlucky for the Carlisle goal, the deflection off Watson caused chaos.

No one played poorly IMO, equally no one outstanding.

Think the takeover and bigger crowd lifted Carlisle and they defended for their lives, which made things harder than they might have been.

Only real criticism is that Appleton left the changes very late. Would have taken Watson off as he looked knackered in the last 20 mins.

Going forward it's number 10 or upfront for Alfie. Wasted on the right of the front 3.