Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• clb74 said:
    I'd like to say a big thank you to Avanti west coast for such a enjoyable journey today

• cabbles said:
    Fleetwood are the longest serving team in League One currently.  All the way back to 2013/14…..we could be the Fleetwood of the south if we play our cards right 
    That’s frightening The Fleetwood of The South. That makes The New Den what?
    Oh yer   The Golden Mile😂
  • Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.
    It's a bit too easy and convenient to say that it's all down to Apples and team selection, the team he put out should have been able to beat Carlisle, and I am sure that is what Apples thought as well, the fact they failed was down to individual errors, like the ball watching that went on with the equaliser, we had more men in the box than they did, and when the ball fell very conveniently at the feet of Lavelle, he had all the time in the world to stop the ball and tap it home.
    We had at least 5, maybe 6 men in front of him and to a man they all retreated to the goal line and just watched the bloody ball trickle over the line, that has naff all to do with Apples and all to do with the players.
    The players let themselves down, the team down, and most of all the 1000 who travelled down...
    UP!!
  • ValleyDan said:
    This team isn’t at present a promotion side.Lets see what the new owners do in the January window to see where our club is going.
    I reckon there's more chance that players will leave than join. Reckon we will be worse off come Feb 1st. 
  • Melrose said:
    Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.
    It's a bit too easy and convenient to say that it's all down to Apples and team selection, the team he put out should have been able to beat Carlisle, and I am sure that is what Apples thought as well, the fact they failed was down to individual errors, like the ball watching that went on with the equaliser, we had more men in the box than they did, and when the ball fell very conveniently at the feet of Lavelle, he had all the time in the world to stop the ball and tap it home.
    We had at least 5, maybe 6 men in front of him and to a man they all retreated to the goal line and just watched the bloody ball trickle over the line, that has naff all to do with Apples and all to do with the players.
    The players let themselves down, the team down, and most of all the 1000 who travelled down...
    UP!!
    My humble apologies sir..UP!!!!!!!
    so in a match of 100 mins players aren't allowed to make a mistake then ?

Players will make mistakes - this is 3rd tier football. not the Premier League. Teams don't usually become 3rd tier Champions by winning 1-0 every week. You just have to score more goals than your opponents - be that 3-2, 4-1 or 5-2.  Yes, we have tighten up at the back, but if we had gone 2-0 up we would probably have won. 

Players will make mistakes - this is 3rd tier football. not the Premier League. Teams don't usually become 3rd tier Champions by winning 1-0 every week. You just have to score more goals than your opponents - be that 3-2, 4-1 or 5-2.  Yes, we have tighten up at the back, but if we had gone 2-0 up we would probably have won. 
    Of course players make mistakes, I was highlighting the errors leading up to the goal, was I not accurate in my description, my point was, as I would hope you would realise, was that it was players errors rather than Apples team selection, oh, and don't make an ounce of difference Premier league or league one, errors occur, and cost matches every week.
  • Sponsored links:

• RobRob
    edited November 2023
    Should have won that. We were clearly the better side. But, you don’t give a goal away as easily as that after going deservedly one up. Very poor. A good side just doesn’t do that. For that alone we didn’t deserve to win that game. 
  • edited November 2023

Players will make mistakes - this is 3rd tier football. not the Premier League. Teams don't usually become 3rd tier Champions by winning 1-0 every week. You just have to scor e more goals than your opponents - be that 3-2, 4-1 or 5-2.  Yes, we have tighten up at the back, but if we had gone 2-0 up we would probably have won. 
    Very rare for a team to go up in the automatics without keeping a large amount of clean sheets. Ipswich kept 23 clean sheets last season, so in around 50% of their games. Plymouth kept 19. 

Stevenage are flying because they already have 10 clean sheets this season

When you only need to score one goal to win a game, winning is easy. Something we know nothing about...
  • Three questions I'm asking after today's game.

1) Will we keep hold of CBT in January? I know there's some on here that still somehow don't rate him (lol) but he's absolutely unplayable when he's at his best, and surely a lower championship team comes for him in January? 

2) Why was Sam Lavelle on the penalty spot to tuck that away, when he would get a nosebleed just crossing the halfway line for us? Absolute shithouse

3) Will we see Tedic play in his natural position through the middle at all? Leaburn seems to be in a bit of a lull right now and Appleton admitted he's having to use him a lot because he's lost Aneke and doesn't feel May can play alone up top against certain teams, but he didn't mention the other big lump forward we have on the books at all
  • Melrose said:
    Still not convinced Appleton knows what the fuck he is doing. Playing May out wide and not playing Louie Watson supports this
    I think his problem, not a bad one, is the reimergence of McGrandles. I thought it was a cert that McGrandles would start and alongside Dobson it allows either Fraser or Watson freedom. His problem now is where do you play your top scorer to maximise his effect on the team. By all accounts, where May played today, did not work out that well but the midfield dominated. It will be interesting to see the line up for the next two games.
  • ValleyDan said:
    This team isn’t at present a promotion side.Lets see what the new owners do in the January window to see where our club is going.
    I reckon there's more chance that players will leave than join. Reckon we will be worse off come Feb 1st. 
    Players will leave Golfie, whether we will be worse off remains to be seen. There are a three loanees in the squad that are not making an impact, I'd like to think all three could go back to their parent clubs and we could get three in who could make a difference, we will just have to wait and see. 
  • Such a frustrating game to watch.
    We are clearly a better side than Carlisle  but once again our defence costs us a goal.
    Sort it out in January or forget all about the playoffs 
    Hah does anybody seriously believe we will make the play offs ?  :D Another wasted season
  • Can’t understand why we kept pulling balls into the box, for their keeper to catch. We need a bit of a brain when playing.
    Exactly and something I noticed that Appleton said in his interview after about the keeper (I wouldn’t want him , I think he’s pony) was he spilled quite a few but we had no one following in for these , lack of noose .
    Too many ordinary players doing ordinary things at our now ordinary league one shithouse club .
    this league is shit if we can just pull it together a little bit the opportunity for a play off lottery ticket is available 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    7pts off sixth. 11pts off fifth.

Tall order that. 
    Yeah and just the 87 points to play for…
    Smug reply as standard

IMO that is a tall order to hit title winning form to get us back in the mix. We’re way too inconsistent. 

• Should have won. At least we didn’t lose.
    Enough chances and phases to create other chances, to have won the game by a convincing scoreline! 
  • edited November 2023
    Carlisle are shit and were waiting to get beat but our limited attacking ability midfield meant there wasn’t enough guile to create for our attacking punters , May and Leaburn weren’t really at it today 

so annoying that we failed to get 3 points 
    win the next ten and all is forgiven 
  • PWR

Such a frustrating game, which we dominated. This just about sums us up and shows why we won't make the top 6. The top teams find a way to get past these types of games. 

Alfie May HAS to play central, but not as a lone striker.. Assuming that Apples isn't going to be changing the formation anytime soon, the only logical place for him is the 10 role and if that means sacrificing a midfielder, then so be it. 
  • edited November 2023

We had the better of the game and should probably have won, but the team’s continuing inability to keep a clean sheet cost us today and will continue to do so unless and until we learn to defend properly and show some nous in managing these sort of games.

Corey was unlucky with his thunderous shot against the bar in the first half but, aside from the goal and a couple of decent saves from Leaburn and Hector, I don’t think we created any really clear cut chances.

Carlisle, of course, created  very much less but, whilst the deflection off Watson was unlucky in getting their guy to the byline, there was no excuse for 5 of our defenders to run back into the six yard box, giving Lavelle all the time he needed to control the ball and then slot it home totally unchallenged.

There were certainly some positives to take from the game, including good performances from Edun, CBT and McGrandles, a fine team goal and a good measure of control for most of the game. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get the second goal this team always needs and there were blow par performances from Dobson, Fraser (whose set plays were poor), Leaburn and May. 

I don’t think there was too much wrong with Appleton’s selection and I can understand why he went with three in midfield, although Campbell (with May as a 10) or Watson would have been a better call than Fraser, who contributed little. A shame the team couldn’t reward the travelling faithful with three points that we really needed to edge closer to the top six.

• edited November 2023
    Chunes said:

Players will make mistakes - this is 3rd tier football. not the Premier League. Teams don't usually become 3rd tier Champions by winning 1-0 every week. You just have to scor e more goals than your opponents - be that 3-2, 4-1 or 5-2.  Yes, we have tighten up at the back, but if we had gone 2-0 up we would probably have won. 
    Very rare for a team to go up in the automatics without keeping a large amount of clean sheets. Ipswich kept 23 clean sheets last season, so in around 50% of their games. Plymouth kept 19. 

Stevenage are flying because they already have 10 clean sheets this season

When you only need to score one goal to win a game, winning is easy. Something we know nothing about...
    Football is a funny old game as 1 excellent striker once said. Once you get a goal in front you then need to get 2 in front....then the opposition are reeling. They then need to go all out to score so as to get back into the game, thus leaving gaps for you to exploit. A number of teams won today by big margins, probably because they got a 2nd and then a 3rd without reply (on our League alone there was Bolton, Blackpool & Peterborough). Look at us away to Wigan. We would have lost that game if we hadn't have gone 3 up. How many times have we been 3 up away from home over the past few years....not many. And of the ones I can recall (the 6-0 at Pymouth) was exactly because of that.......we scored 2 or 4 without reply & the game was won. Then think how many times have we been 1-0 up and not won. Loads. How many have we won 1-0 over the last 4 seasons that we have been stuck in this division.  Not many. I am no statistician but I bet we have dropped far far more points being 1-0 up than we have won by then scoring 2 or 3 without reply. 

We did not not win today because we let in a sloppy goal. We didn't win today because we didnt get a 2nd goal. 
  • edited November 2023
    Of course 2 points dropped but what was wrong with the team selection?

All over them but couldn't score.

Who would have been better to start?

Harry Kane was busy.

• ValleyDan said:
    Oh I sure hope so - for your sake! Imagine the moaning opportunities.