Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• We should be aiming to win every game befire year end. All opponents are lower than us except Barnsley but they only have one win in 5 . Fixture list suggests tough run in so points needed now.
  • Such a frustrating game to watch.
    We are clearly a better side than Carlisle  but once again our defence costs us a goal.
    Sort it out in January or forget all about the playoffs 
    Hah does anybody seriously believe we will make the play offs ?  :D Another wasted season
    Totally agree. 
    Following the summer transfer window  , which I personally thought was very poor  ( may aside ) I predicted we would finish about 10th. 
    Unfortunately I think that will be the case unless we do some amazing business in January. 
  • edited November 2023
    Undefeated in 6 now league and cup and only 3 defeats in the last 17 league and cup since the start of September.
  • Two points dropped rather than one gained. Carlisle were very lucky. Mrs Algarve tipped Sammy boy to score before KO...   
  • Just looked at the highlights a couple of times. Why does McGrandles get in position to cover the overlap and then point for someone else to take the run? If he’d followed the overlap the cross doesn’t come in and they don’t score!
  • Sponsored links:

• Mid table side. Mid table results. Simples
  • LouisMend said:
    He says Fraser was good and selected for his experience. I thought he was the usual. Good at times but infuriatingly wasteful at set pieces. An “experienced” player might have noticed before taking a corner that the Carlisle keeper was excellent at commanding his box from set pieces. Subbing Watson for him so late seemed like a calculated snub, and Watson looked visibly pissed off to me when he came on.
    As for McGrandles he was pretty good today but he was one of those at fault for the equaliser, standing there waving his arm around instead of assisting the overloaded T. Watson.
    There are usually divergent opinions among fans about players so the almost universal bafflement about L.Watson’s exclusion speaks volumes. Young Lis in the studio suggested it might just be that Apples knows Fraser cant start two games in 4 days (he can barely sustain one) so LW should start Tuesday. I bloody hope so. Appleton has credit  in the account  with me at the moment, there’s a fair bit of progress, but his handling of LW seems like a waste of a talented player we are lucky to have available, and who always gives 100%. 
    Yup. My thoughts exactly.

I know it was only against Sutton reserves last Tuesday but Louie Watson was absolutely outstanding in that game. To be dropped after a performance like that would make anyone pissed off.
  • Much as I love Alfie, the player he is means he is gonna turn up everywhere, he wants to be involved in everything, which sounds ideal, but where we need him is in an around the 18 yard area, I mean just look at that shot of the build up to their goal on the previous page and who is standing on corner of the 18 yard area, yep Alfie.
    Playing him out wide is a mistake, Alfie as we all know is a No10 or in a two up front...
  • LouisMend said:
    He says Fraser was good and selected for his experience. I thought he was the usual. Good at times but infuriatingly wasteful at set pieces. An “experienced” player might have noticed before taking a corner that the Carlisle keeper was excellent at commanding his box from set pieces. Subbing Watson for him so late seemed like a calculated snub, and Watson looked visibly pissed off to me when he came on.
    As for McGrandles he was pretty good today but he was one of those at fault for the equaliser, standing there waving his arm around instead of assisting the overloaded T. Watson.
    There are usually divergent opinions among fans about players so the almost universal bafflement about L.Watson’s exclusion speaks volumes. Young Lis in the studio suggested it might just be that Apples knows Fraser cant start two games in 4 days (he can barely sustain one) so LW should start Tuesday. I bloody hope so. Appleton has credit  in the account  with me at the moment, there’s a fair bit of progress, but his handling of LW seems like a waste of a talented player we are lucky to have available, and who always gives 100%. 
    Yup. My thoughts exactly.

I know it was only against Sutton reserves last Tuesday but Louie Watson was absolutely outstanding in that game. To be dropped after a performance like that would make anyone pissed off.
    As has been shown, there was one player in particular who abandoned his station on the Carlisle goal, who kept giving the ball away in the final third, and who Watson was ultimately dropped for. But I'm saying the unsayable again aren't I
  • Much as I love Alfie, the player he is means he is gonna turn up everywhere, he wants to be involved in everything, which sounds ideal, but where we need him is in an around the 18 yard area, I mean just look at that shot of the build up to their goal on the previous page and who is standing on corner of the 18 yard area, yep Alfie.
    Playing him out wide is a mistake, Alfie as we all know is a No10 or in a two up front...
    Also May was on a run of goals. Stick him on the right, he doesn’t score.
    A lot of those goals came from him playing on the right
  • 2 points dropped and yet another game we should be winning comfortably. Does the club have a sports psychologist? This group need some help !!
    not sure if it’s just a form thing but it wouldn’t surprise me if Miles knows he is off as he just doesn’t seem right Tuesday I would start Tedic 
  • edited November 2023
    Leuth said:
    Much as I love Alfie, the player he is means he is gonna turn up everywhere, he wants to be involved in everything, which sounds ideal, but where we need him is in an around the 18 yard area, I mean just look at that shot of the build up to their goal on the previous page and who is standing on corner of the 18 yard area, yep Alfie.
    A lot of those goals came from him playing on the right
    Agree, he has the ability to adapt I suppose, he is just too accommodating...🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Such a frustrating game to watch.
    We are clearly a better side than Carlisle  but once again our defence costs us a goal.
    Hah does anybody seriously believe we will make the play offs ?  :D Another wasted season
    Well before a ball was kicked this season 16 people on CL thought top 2 finish. 53 people on CL thought play off finish 22 of those thought in 6th place.27 people thought between 8th and 14th finish.While 3 people thought Charlton would finish bottom and 1 person 3rd from bottom.

Wonder what people still think?
  • edited November 2023
    Such a frustrating game to watch.
    Well before a ball was kicked this season 16 people on CL thought top 2 finish. 53 people on CL thought play off finish 22 of those thought in 6th place.27 people thought between 8th and 14th finish.While 3 people thought Charlton would finish bottom and 1 person 3rd from bottom.

Wonder what people still think?

... It's way way too early to be giving up hope...surely that's what gets people to places like Carlisle on a freezing cold November day...hope...

Stay strong everyone...🍺

• AndyG said:
    2 points dropped and yet another game we should be winning comfortably. Does the club have a sports psychologist? This group need some help !!
    not sure if it’s just a form thing but it wouldn’t surprise me if Miles knows he is off as he just doesn’t seem right Tuesday I would start Tedic 
    If I were the club Miles is off to, I would be having serious second thoughts.    
  • Need to go on a winning run. Someone remind me when the last time we won consecutive league games was because I don't think it's happened this season yet. Still, should only look forward I suppose. At least losing seems to be more of a rarity these days.
  • 18th March 2023 v Cambridge away 1-2
    14th March 2023 v Morecambe away 1-4
  • I may be in the minority here  but Dobson was woeful yesterday, I would have brought L Watson on for him alongside Fraser and Mcgrandles in the 2nd half. To me it looks as though Dobbo could do with a good rest, so that he is firing on all cylinders over the hectic December period.
  • Melrose said:
    Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.
    Still not convinced Appleton knows what the fuck he is doing. Playing May out wide and not playing Louie Watson supports this
    Have you ever thought that he may be told who to pick and in what position?
  • edited November 2023
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Down to team selection and Appleton that one, 2 points dropped.
    Still not convinced Appleton knows what the fuck he is doing. Playing May out wide and not playing Louie Watson supports this
    Have you ever thought that he may be told who to pick and in what position?
    He's playing practically none of the loanees Scott brought in
  • Really disappointed as Carlisle were very poor. Very much felt through the game we were going to have win it 1-0, as things weren’t clicking for us at the top of the pitch.

Until yesterday, I thought we would be in the top 6 race. Personally don’t see it, unless January window is a huge success of if Aneke returns from injury to play 25+ games. Not sure which one is more likely of the two.