Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Carlisle Utd vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 25th November 2023 KO 3:00 PM

edited November 2023 in General Charlton
Some thousand Addicks travelled the long road north to strugglers Carlisle, a club recently taken over by a family of good ol’ Americans looking to prospect the lower echelons of the English game for footballing riches and, presumably, to bring freedom and democracy to the area.

From the off, Charlton kept their shape and played the ball effectively without managing the breakthrough they deserved. As my mate Moss says, “The thing with Charlton is they always try to walk it in…” We remained solid throughout and limited Carlisle largely to chasing shadows and trying to manage a counter attack. 

In the second half, Charlton pushed on to find the opener through Corey Blackett-Taylor, who had just moments earlier lashed one off the crossbar. Unfortunately, ex-Addick Sam Lavelle managed to level things up some moments later after a defensive lapse allowed him to poke it home from a scramble in the box forced by a poorly defended corner. Charlton then had a handful of moments that could have put us back in front, but it wasn’t to be.

I’m still not quite sure why Appleton doesn’t keep Louis Watson in the side over McGrandles. It seems Watson brings more much needed impetus and drive alongside Dobson. We certainly dropped two points, as Carlisle were there for the taking. It’s a shame we can’t keep a clean sheet, as one goal would have been enough. Once they equalised, I would’ve liked to have seen Appleton make changes sooner to effect the game and give the travelling fans something to hold on to, other than absolute FRUSTRATION.

Carlisle 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• edited November 2023
    I think we finally scored and then allowed human nature to move a few offensive percentage points from attack to defence. They were lucky but we can't afford to even take our foot off the gas slightly as we are at the moment. Should have won that by at least two as we were a different level to them but we go again on Tuesday.
  • Leuth said:
    I'm actually on team Golfie today. Yeah, would be nice to keep clean sheets. But blaming the defence for us not winning today would be a bit ridiculous. We had a lot of chances to score. We should absolutely have gotten more than one goal.

On the plus side, McGrandles and Fraser ran the show for over an hour, and our full-backs, often a problem, were fantastic
    Agreed. Our attack is much better than our defense. Our defense had about two lapses today and they conceded one. But with the way we're set up to play we need to be finding an extra goal.

You said it in the match thread, but Alfie May was mostly poor today. And he's usually good for our moment of magic. 
  • Frustrating, a rare time we were let down by our attack who all midfield included other then CBT put in a poor performance when going forward, defence played well and were a bit unluckly with the flukey deflection that landed perfect in the build up to their equaliser.

Days like this are why even in this significantly weaker league one it feels we are destined to miss out on the fun at the end of the season yet again but I will still hope for the best, on to the next match. 
  • Figures lifted from the match thread:

"Inside Area 4-15
    xG 0.69-1.21"

On the xG, 1-1 is not unreasonable but on the shots inside the area, 1-1 is an appalling result.
  • Sponsored links:

• A really frustrating game,had more than enough chances to win that by 2 or 3 goals. Just lacked that killer instinct to finish them off. May had an off day and Leaburn is really out of form. Didnt lose but shouldve won that.
  • Disappointing to have been the better side for much of the match, to have got ourselves in the lead and still come back with just a point. We were unlucky with the deflection off of Watson, but the marking for their goal was shocking. Not withstanding that, there was still plenty of opportunity to get a win but, sadly, we weren't up to it.
  • Three away games in a row: Wigan, Pompey and Carlisle. Five points picked up.

Not the worst... could’ve been seven though so a bit gutting nonetheless.

Focus turns to midweek…
    Get back to SE7 where we have the best scoring record in the division. Pick up two wins against Cheltenham and Cambridge and that would put us back on the right track.
  • Leuth said:
    I'm actually on team Golfie today. Yeah, would be nice to keep clean sheets. But blaming the defence for us not winning today would be a bit ridiculous. We had a lot of chances to score. We should absolutely have gotten more than one goal.

On the plus side, McGrandles and Fraser ran the show for over an hour, and our full-backs, often a problem, were fantastic
    This.
    Defence were excellent
    We massively lack aggression and have done for weeks 
  • Promotion? Play offs?

Sort that defense out!

Many more questions, but the most important one for me, are there any experienced L1 defenders without scrambled egg for brains out there in the next window and are we prepared to invest in a fee or wages?

Otherwise,  Not this season.
  • We were better...and a little unlucky 
    Not much to bring from the bench. I think I'd have swapped L Watson for Dobbo rather than McGrandles (and am a big Dobson fan). 

Frustrating point on the road to move away from play offs. Let's win Tues 
  • edited November 2023
    Figures lifted from the match thread:

"Inside Area 4-15
    xG 0.69-1.21"

On the xG, 1-1 is not unreasonable but on the shots inside the area, 1-1 is an appalling result.
    Those fifteen shots, in order:

1st half: block, block, block, block, block, miss
    2nd half: saved, GOAL, miss, saved, saved, miss, saved, saved, saved
  • edited November 2023
    Figures lifted from the match thread:

"Inside Area 4-15
    xG 0.69-1.21"

Those fifteen shots, in order:

1st half: block, block, block, block, block, miss
    2nd half: saved, GOAL, miss, saved, saved, miss, saved, saved, saved
    Carlisle’s four shots, in order:

1st half: saved, saved
    2nd half: GOAL, miss

To give Carlisle credit, they had a game plan for defending which relied on sitting deep and not letting us get behind. The evidence of it working is that string of blocked shots. Crowd the area and don’t let May, Leaburn get easy shots off.

When we did break that line, we scored from it.
  • Sponsored links:

Focus turns to midweek…
    Get back to SE7 where we have the best scoring record in the division. Pick up two wins against Cheltenham and Cambridge and that would put us back on the right track.
    And if my auntie had wheels she'd be a scooter.  ;-)
  • Lord that was frustrating.

We played some lovely football at times and were so much the better team it is crazy we haven't won. But we just couldn't get the ball past that blooming keeper.

Talking of him, given he seems about 7 foot tall, the one thing I would moan about is the fact we kept banging in high, hanging crosses that he just gobbled up. One of the few times we put a hard, low cross in we scored.

Thought Edun put in the best display I've seen from him so far. 

Appleton has got a difficult decision to make with where he plays May. Today playing him on the right just didn't work. He should have moved him into the centre much earlier.

And I just hope those new Carlisle owners have got very deep pockets because they are going to need them from what we saw today.
  • I know May has scored while playing on the right before but please don't play him there again. 
  • I know there's a lot of footy still to play but I just can't see us getting in the playoffs at the moment. If CBT was to go in Jan with Dobbo then I worry they won't be replaced with any real quality. Plus and it's been mentioned before we must sort the defence out especially with someone to replace Hector, he's too much of a liability.

I doubt, unless we win the next 6 games on the trot that our Board will not want to dip into their pocket and give Apples the opportunity to make a real go of it. 

On another point I really feel for those brave souls that went today, they deserved better and our Club should recognise what amazing support we have. 

Finally, after an off day for Alfie and few others I hope he has his scoring boots on Tuesday as a win is really needed now before the next banana skin at the caravan park.

By the way does anyone think Leaburn wants away in Jan??? He don't look happy....
  • Appleton clearly does not rate Tedic, so I really don't understand why we have not recalled Kanu who has first team experience, even a goal and would give us an alternative from the bench which is something on games like today we really needed.
  • Feels like it’ll be next season
    Appleton still working it out and is now getting closer 

Focus turns to midweek…
    And if my auntie had wheels she'd be a scooter.  ;-)
    Lol no reason why not though. Our home form and away form are two totally different animals.

Home results under Appleton are a 3-1 win (Wycombe), a 4-1 win (Exeter), 2-2 draw (Blackpool), a 4-0 win (Reading) and a 0-2 defeat (Bolton).