Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Harrogate ? I won’t get excited just yet and will reserve judgement. 

Knowing what competition we had to beat off might give more comfort / room for optimism I suppose. 
  • Stewart said:
    Gone back to players who I’ve never heard of again. 

Welcome to the club KR

Karl Robinson our new manager!
  • 1:15 a good give and go to get in behind the defensive line and put in the cross for a goal

https://youtu.be/WyiFhctsTF0?si=FIUITJL9EOUE_i2s
  • Scoham said:
    Plays RB this season in a back 4 so definitely not a wing-back. 
    This has to be one of your worst takes.
    He could well be a future wing-back with successful development and coaching. 

Right now he's not a wing-back. And right now, we don't have the luxury of throwing a couple of games playing square pegs in round holes. 
    It’s really not that different with the right player.

As an example Wiggins could have obviously played wing back despite mainly playing in a back four for us. As good as Solly was he wasn’t as quick or good going forward so was more suited to a back four.

Good recruitment means finding players suited to your system, if you limit to those who have regularly played in the same formation you’re looking in a much smaller pool of players.
    I don't doubt that in the future he'll be a perfectly fine wing-back. He's definitely one for the future.

But I can't see, day one, him walking into the team at wing-back and not being incredibly uncomfortable. Positioning and responsibilities he'd have to relearn because it's a different position altogether from right-back. 

It's also why centre-backs that play in a back 4 struggle to slot into a back 3 right away. Different positioning and responsibilities. 
    You’d hope they’re willing to pay a fee for him because they’re confident he’ll adapt fairly quickly.

CBs I get that, moving to a back three can be uncomfortable because they have to move to wide positions to deal with wingers and can find themselves on the ball more.

For FBs they generally get forward more when playing WB, which will come naturally to a player suited to WB. They’re still defending against wide players regardless, it’s not as much of a change if they’ve got the legs to get up and down the pitch.
  • sam3110 said:
    Harrogate ? I won’t get excited just yet and will reserve judgement. 

Knowing what competition we had to beat off might give more comfort / room for optimism I suppose. 
    I find comments like this mental. 

A relatively young player, playing regularly and getting great reviews in the league below, is much better in my eyes than an older player, hardly playing and having to drop down a league to get game time
    To be fair recent history gives reason not to get excited. Lavelle, egbo, Payne, Gilbey, jaiysemi, Kirk
  • Looks like a good signing to be fair, i noticed that league 2 team of the season so far the other day and thought here you go, go get both full backs. 
    Still think we need another but I’m gonna say that’s unlikely.
  • sam3110 said:

A relatively young player, playing regularly and getting great reviews in the league below, is much better in my eyes than an older player, hardly playing and having to drop down a league to get game time
    The bit about reserving judgement you mean or the bit about wondering what competition there was? 
  • RedChaser said:
    aliwibble said:
    Does he deserve his own thread, or do we wait until he's passed the medical?
    WIOTOS 
    Poor timing Henners towards a mod, I thought you was still after promotes 😉
     Ali know I love her really😉 
  • Sponsored links:

• Plays RB this season in a back 4 so definitely not a wing-back. 
    Not even close, and it's a really shit take
    Dan James in England squad was the worst. Sorry SELR 🤣
    It's fine. 

Find it amusing that calling a player that doesn't play wing-back....not a wing-back has caused such uproar.  :D
    He’s played right wing back before you absolute melon.
  • edited February 1
    I like the idea of this signing. Absolutely not a chance we’re paying 300K though. Watson is crap so I hope this is a replacement. 
  • Concerned we didn’t sign a striker…..Ladapo doesn’t look up to it
  • sam3110 said:

The bit about reserving judgement you mean or the bit about wondering what competition there was? 
    The reserving judgement bit. The"Harrogate?" Suggests you've already made up your mind that he won't be good enough based purely on where he plays right now. It comes across as negative straight away. 

Why does it matter who else wants him? If we want him, and get him, and he does well, that's great. I couldn't give a toss if we beat Bromley, Bolton or Barcelona to the signing
  • Surely there are other irons in the fire, we need a number 10 
  • edited February 1
    RedRobin said:
    Surely there are other irons in the fire, we need a number 10 
    We have been linked with some Scottish lad called Callaway, last I heard

Good at getting out of some rough spots
  • edited February 1
    Absolutely over the moon as a fellow Ramsey! 

Someone on twitter said that a right sided defender was our 4th biggest need. Our goal difference will tell you that is a load of crap, need all the help we can get on the back line 
  • Valued around 300,000
    Turkish Lira
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair I read it, and my first reaction thought he was a signing from Non-League and thought he'd be one for the future, before realising that Harrogate are a League Two side now.
    Me too  :#

• As it’s been glaringly obvious we’ve needed a better wingback, I wonder where he featured on our list.

Not really been linked with many, so maybe up there. Either way seems like it could be well scouted player (unless he turns out shite).
  • Even if you don't believe RB is our most important position to be filled right now, should never turn down a chance to strengthen the squad. 

• Flashscore rates him quite well.
    If he’s really out of contract in June we are definitely not paying 300k.
    50k if he is IMHO
  • He's far too good for us, quick Andy try & make a profit tonight 
  • Redhenry said:

Flashscore rates him quite well.
    If he’s really out of contract in June we are definitely not paying 300k.
    50k if he is IMHO
    And another 50k if we get promoted this season 😬

all we have to do is send their chairman a link to the will we make the playoffs thread
  • edited February 1
    The most encouraging thing is Jones knows him. 
    Hopefully a recommendation 
    Perhaps they’ve delayed the manager fan fare so Jones and Scott can focus on wheeling and dealing this evening? 

• As it’s been glaringly obvious we’ve needed a better wingback, I wonder where he featured on our list.

Not really been linked with many, so maybe up there. Either way seems like it could be well scouted player (unless he turns out shite).
    Yeah I'd like to know, truthfully I've lost all faith with them and always expect the signings to be a dud, I go off of what other fans say and then watch highlights and read ratings. 

I just hope he's better than the last right back we got from league 2 in Egbo. 
  • edited February 1
    Plays RB this season in a back 4 so definitely not a wing-back. 
    Not even close, and it's a really shit take
    Dan James in England squad was the worst. Sorry SELR 🤣
    It's fine. 

Find it amusing that calling a player that doesn't play wing-back....not a wing-back has caused such uproar.  :D

It really isn't rocket science:
    You are a wing back in a 3-5-2. 
    You can be an attacking full back with 4 at the back. The best example was Rhoys Wiggins who was at his best when flying down that left side in a 4-4-2. Other formations are available!

The main thing if the ball is lost in transit when the wing back or attacking full back is in an advance position then a 6 or CB especially if 3 at the back covers.

As long as an attacking full back or wing back play on their Right footed or left footed side then there really is no square pegs in round holes