Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Does anyone know whether we’ve also been looking/scouting for players from the European leagues?
  • Hopefully that will accelerate Jones's arrival as that will never put anyone off and maybe convince a few.
  • With the SMT travelling at a Snails Pace, we have no chance of further players being recruited in this window without a manager in place!
  • I also am in the we need a wing back as top priority camp.
  • 352 can often be played without a 10, its pretty common to go in with two 8's instead. We have plenty who can play that role and a few 10 options. We need a wing back to add some creativity out wide and take some pressure off the midfield.
  • Scoham said:
    Cawley must have read my post 👋🏻 Confirms the better players with other clubs interested want to know who the manager will be.
    Yes, rather obvious don't you think. 

Cast your mind back less than a month ago....the main reason why Connor Coventry signed was because Appleton (the manager) went round to his parents & chatted through things. To a lot of players I expect they dont really care who the actual manager is but actually HAVING a manager I expect IS a big deal. 

Would you change jobs & join a Company when you dont know who your manager is ?
    Genuinely, yes I would.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Cawley must have read my post 👋🏻 Confirms the better players with other clubs interested want to know who the manager will be.

Cast your mind back less than a month ago....the main reason why Connor Coventry signed was because Appleton (the manager) went round to his parents & chatted through things. To a lot of players I expect they dont really care who the actual manager is but actually HAVING a manager I expect IS a big deal. 

Completely different scenario to that of a Footballer though

If I moved jobs, and didnt know who my Manager was then it doesnt matter too much, provided I get on with my own work and do what I'm supposed to do.

For a Footballer there are eleven spots up for grabs - If you join Charlton thinking that you'll be a starter, the last person you're going to want to see as Manager is Nathan Jones for example, if he's already moved you on previously, because he doesnt think you're good enough.
  • Solidgone said:
    Does anyone know whether we’ve also been looking/scouting for players from the European leagues?
    Well unless there has been a dramatic change, no. We didn't during Gallens reign look outside of England
  • edited February 1
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Solidgone said:
    Does anyone know whether we’ve also been looking/scouting for players from the European leagues?
    Well unless there has been a dramatic change, no. We didn't during Gallens reign look outside of England

Wales, Scotland and Denmark are not in England, Daz !

TBF Rocket Ronnie was Martin or Thomas Sandgaard's vanity project which wasn't helped by COVID.
  • It's staggering that the SMT thought they'd get top quality players in (for League 1), without having a manager/head coach in situ. Players will go where they know a manager will play them in the main. It's like L. Watson coming in under Holden, and then Appleton hardly playing him! I find this naieve approach unbelievable and the WHOLE SMT are to blame. Its been typical of CAFC over the years, too fucking slow! 
    I thought the start of this transfer window was really good and it filled me with hope for the future, now we're back to 'jerking' around again!! When will we ever learn? The SMT have 12 hours to put this right.....we can only hope they do!
  • Pompey sign the oft mentioned Owen Moxon from Carlisle. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Solidgone said:
    Very hard to look overseas under much of Gallen’s reign owing to work permit rules.  It changes last year so we can look now.
    we were looking at an Australian striker in the summer but his new parent club wanted him to go elsewhere in France on loan as they want to make a fortune on him. Shame, lot of potential
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Pompey sign the oft mentioned Owen Moxon from Carlisle. 
    His name always makes me think "oxymoron".  
  • Mcgrandles mentioned on the SLP as a potential exit. 
  • Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    They struggle to find players in Britain!
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally, I am not worried if this new managerial appointment isn't completed by the weekend, or even for another week for that matter.

I would rather they take their time, do there due diligence, regardless of how long it takes, they have to get this one bang on for me.

In terms of players, hoping for a wing back additions, another striker or whatever, is simply just a fans wish in my opinion. I am not suggesting we don't need those positions by the way, I'm just saying. We as fans have nothing to back them wishes up on at the moment. Were just assuming 3-5-2 for instance.

For all we know, the manager could be in that boardroom discussing this right now.
    - Telling the board exactly what he doesn't want or even better, what he does.
    - Based on his preferred formations, discussing with current coaching staff where they think we might be short in terms of quality right now.
    - Then going through his own ideas for plugging them gaps.
    - Basically assisting the recruitment team before the appointment is announced to the media.
    - Rubber stamping the deals that may already be in the pipeline etc etc

Today could be a busy day if that is the case. The appointment could well be delayed for this reason.
  • Moroccan and a Belgian incoming 👀
    Bergdich and Lepoint?
  • shirty5 said:
    This is where having a manager already in place (especially someone like Jones) could make the difference in persuading players to choose us over rival teams...
    A brand new concept that could work. 

At least we are consistent though 

Charlton Athletic go into their Second transfer deadline day of the season and on both occasions have no head coach or manager in charge 

Who needs a coach or manager when we have Andy Scott  :#
  • I don’t think we’re an easy club to manage right now. I can see why someone like Jones (let alone Warnock) might need some persuading. 
  • I'm starting to feel punchy
  • Scoham said:

Completely different scenario to that of a Footballer though

If I moved jobs, and didnt know who my Manager was then it doesnt matter too much, provided I get on with my own work and do what I'm supposed to do.

For a Footballer there are eleven spots up for grabs - If you join Charlton thinking that you'll be a starter, the last person you're going to want to see as Manager is Nathan Jones for example, if he's already moved you on previously, because he doesnt think you're good enough.
    This is a very good point. I'd also take a step back and suggest that surely different managers bring different skillsets and players will want to play for someone who they think can improve them. You can't know that when there's no manager in place so a bit of a leap of faith by the player.

Also different managers bring different personalities and some will be more enjoyable to play for and train with. I always think life under someone like Steve MacClaren/Roy Hodgson must have be dull as they are pretty boring characters.