Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Bristol Rovers edging towards Kamil Conteh, would have liked to have seen him here, particularly if Dobson is to leave. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-bristol-rovers-closing-deal-9049401.amp

The best midfielder defensively in league 2 this season (statistically), only 21 and very mobile. Surprised we wasn't in for him as he's a London lad, has potential to improve and could potentially be a big transfer fee for a club in the future. 
    Even if Dobson goes we do not need any more defensively minded CMs. Coventry, Taylor, Mcgrandles, Bakinson, Edmonds-Green, Mitchell (Next Season) could all play that role
    Quite.

what we do need, however, are some attacking mids/creative players because without CBT we have no one to actually do anything with the ball for our forwards to finish off.
  • Am I the only one who thinks we need a better goalkeeper?

AMB is fine but all top teams have a number one who is better than 'fine'.

There's no rush to get one this window but in the summer this should be one of our top priorities.
    100% agree. Would go begging for a loan keeper from PL club. Bolton had Trafford last season, Beadle at Oxford. 
  • Is it likely that we'll be signing anymore players considering the fiasco that's currently being played out at the Valley.

Who in their right mind would want to join?
  • edited January 23
    Is it likely that we'll be signing anymore players considering the fiasco that's currently being played out at the Valley.

If they have been kept locked in a shed for 10 years.  Football knows what a wattle woven basket this club has been, it's all down to money and ambition at the end of the day. Saying that, who the fuck would sign for us? Excepting the latest encumbants of the poison challice of course.
  • As a wingback I like the look of Jack Currie from Wimbledon. He looks like a very decent option 
  • So those players that have already signed, have they got a case for being sold a dummy and can now remove themselves from their contracts.

Because that would, I think be reasonable interpretation of false promises made by Scott and Appleton.

Or, I noticed Cory's reasons for joining Derby, Massive Club, Like the Project and vision repeat ad infinitum. Are players so think they can't recognise bullshit?
  • Bristol Rovers edging towards Kamil Conteh, would have liked to have seen him here, particularly if Dobson is to leave. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/exclusive-bristol-rovers-closing-deal-9049401.amp

The best midfielder defensively in league 2 this season (statistically), only 21 and very mobile. Surprised we wasn't in for him as he's a London lad, has potential to improve and could potentially be a big transfer fee for a club in the future. 
    Even if Dobson goes we do not need any more defensively minded CMs. Coventry, Taylor, Mcgrandles, Bakinson, Edmonds-Green, Mitchell (Next Season) could all play that role
    Coventry - yes
    Taylor - who knows, he's always injured. Can't be relied upon.
    McGrandles - has been rubbish since we signed him, can't be relied upon.
    Bakinson - might not be here.
    REG - isn't he a defender? In any case no one has seen him play so who knows if he's a good defensive midfielder.
    Mitchell - very young, probably would be too much to expect of him. 

So out of that lot it's only Coventry who could be relied upon, especially for a side who would hope to challenge for promotion. So i have to agree with @Braziliance why not sign a promising young player (from London) for that position?

There's no rush to get one this window but in the summer this should be one of our top priorities.
    100% agree. Would go begging for a loan keeper from PL club. Bolton had Trafford last season, Beadle at Oxford. 
    AMB is learning his trade, he is part of a suspect defence and I would question how he is being coached. Any ball played around his six yard area, he automatically retreats to his goal line, has done that so many times this season and none of it is coincidental. His goalkeeping coach is either not confident in his decision making when coming for crosses or he believes, wrongly, that his strength in shot stopping will get him out of trouble, it won't. He doesn't talk to his back four but that will come in time with greater experience. 
  • Sponsored links:

Wish we'd kept Wollacot at least he came off his line!

I'm sure many other feel the same way.

Maybe Isted will prove me wrong, but in him and AMB it feels like we have 2 backup keepers who'll do a job, but aren't top tier.
  • Bailey said:
    Am I the only one who thinks we need a better goalkeeper?

AMB is learning his trade, he is part of a suspect defence and I would question how he is being coached. Any ball played around his six yard area, he automatically retreats to his goal line, has done that so many times this season and none of it is coincidental. His goalkeeping coach is either not confident in his decision making when coming for crosses or he believes, wrongly, that his strength in shot stopping will get him out of trouble, it won't. He doesn't talk to his back four but that will come in time with greater experience. 
    To be honest I don’t really want a GK learning his trade and getting his experience with us. We simply must escape from league one next season or the one after latest. We need a good quality solid GK. 
  • Is it likely that we'll be signing anymore players considering the fiasco that's currently being played out at the Valley.

Who in their right mind would want to join?   7 players so far 

Ah mate I’ve been saying this for ages. We HAVE to get a better keep in asap imo 
  • Being greedy i'd love LWB, RWB, AM, ST. But RWB & AM are the pressing ones for me
    I doubt we’ll sign more than one. Maybe not even one. 

• I have worked abroad before and have travelled a lot and never found a city better than London.  It has culture, history, architecture, great restaurants, theatres, great sport and much more.  It's not perfect but no where is.  I think English people talk it down toi much at times.
    Having said all of that I have never understood why more English players don't play abroad.  Not sure Hungry Infront of 3,000 people is overly attractive though.
    Anyone who slags London off just hasn't been anywhere else much.  Yep, parts of it are a shit hole, and the rat race starts here but the clue is.... Why is every other bugger trying to get here?
     I could argue why is every other London bugger moving to my town?! 

London is a good city to work in (a couple of days a week), a decent night out, maybe even a nice weekend away every so often, but it really isn't somewhere I'd ever want to live. 

But then I do live in a nice enough little town and City life ain't my bag. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Got a feeling that transfer activity this window might have dried up due to a crisis behind the scenes. Hope that isn’t the case because we still need reinforcements. 
    What crisis…..do we unquestionably KNOW there’s one?
    Crisis, what crisis? And the answer is, no, we don’t unquestionably know. 
    But from what I’ve read on here there is a ‘difference of opinion’ behind the scenes vis à vis the manager situation, and that might have a knock on effect in other areas. 
    And it’s clear that they’re trying to make this a statement window, which is all fine if you start winning mates, but which decidedly isn’t if you don’t.  How are the investors feeling right now?
  • edited January 23
    Considering the stat thread yesterday and in light of AMB facing 3rd most shots in L1, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until that stat changes. Dont care what league youre in, if youre facing that many shots there will be the odd error.
  • edited January 23
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 23
    Am I the only one who thinks we need a better goalkeeper?

Since Kiely left I have been amazed at the number of keepers we have gone through, I wouldn’t mind betting none of the other 92 clubs have come even close to our keepers perpetual roundabout! 
    On CL there seems to be an ongoing policy for slagging off goalkeepers no matter who it is…..they’re never good enough for some.
    This despite many of them going on to have an even better gig elsewhere and carving out very successful careers after being hounded out by our fans.
    AMB is becoming yet another one…..IMHO he’s a damn good keeper…..distribution not the greatest I admit but in every other respect he’s more than adequate.
    Leave the guy be FFS!

• JamesSeed said:
    Being greedy i'd love LWB, RWB, AM, ST. But RWB & AM are the pressing ones for me
    I doubt we’ll sign more than one. Maybe not even one. 
    Striker and a number 10 ( Collins would fit that role as he can wide as well )… 

Totally agree. 

But replace Appleton with a proper manager and it can all change. 

Who in their right mind would want to join?   7 players so far 

But that’s before the latest defeat and vitriol being dished out by all an asunder?
  • edited January 23
    Dobson leading the team out this eve holding his young daughter as mascot... bit odd unless he thinks it's his last game perhaps...?

Since Kiely left I have been amazed at the number of keepers we have gone through, I wouldn’t mind betting none of the other 92 clubs have come even close to our keepers perpetual roundabout! 
    On CL there seems to be an ongoing policy for slagging off goalkeepers no matter who it is…..they’re never good enough for some.
    This despite many of them going on to have an even better gig elsewhere and carving out very successful careers after being hounded out by our fans.
    AMB is becoming yet another one…..IMHO he’s a damn good keeper…..distribution not the greatest I admit but in every other respect he’s more than adequate.
    Leave the guy be FFS!

He's not more than adequate, he's just about adequate as a shot shopper and that's it. The modern keeper needs to have more to his game