Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Dobson is a fantastic player but think he'd struggle to get in most Championship teams. Taking a punt on playing in Europe and potentially in the Europa or Conference League is quite an incentive, especially if we are faffing around with his wages. It also stops him joining one of our league rivals. If it doesn't work out for him, I'd sure he'd be able to find another League One club easily enough
  • The interesting thing is that this Hungarian team seem to be the only one interested in him. Obviously might be different in the summer but it strengthens our hand if no one else is trying to unsettle him
  • For those saying he might want to go there to play in Europe it's worth noting that the sides who finish 2nd and 3rd in Hungary go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference league. Neither side from last season even made it through to this years Conference league group stage. So i don't think he can be banking on trips to the Bernabeu and San Siro!
  • For those saying he might want to go there to play in Europe it's worth noting that the sides who finish 2nd and 3rd in Hungary go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference league. Neither side from last season even made it through to this years Conference league group stage. So i don't think he can be banking on trips to the Bernabeu and San Siro!
    12 teams in the league and 4 in Hungary get Europe, even just the qualifying stages of the tournament is an experience he'll never get staying in England. I still don't think he will go but to some that's a big incentive
  • follett said:
    For those saying he might want to go there to play in Europe it's worth noting that the sides who finish 2nd and 3rd in Hungary go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference league. Neither side from last season even made it through to this years Conference league group stage. So i don't think he can be banking on trips to the Bernabeu and San Siro!
    12 teams in the league and 4 in Hungary get Europe, even just the qualifying stages of the tournament is an experience he'll never get staying in England. I still don't think he will go but to some that's a big incentive
    Moving abroad with a young family for the experience of playing in front of 4k fans each week with a chance to play a couple of Conference league games in the arse end of nowhere each season doesn't sound like an amazing incentive.

Not to mention that "according to Transfermarkt, we find that the average monthly salary of a footballer in Hungary is HUF 3.8 million (EUR 9,880)". Even if we assume he'd be on well above the average, i can't see how this is better for him than staying with us or finding another English club.
  • follett said:
    For those saying he might want to go there to play in Europe it's worth noting that the sides who finish 2nd and 3rd in Hungary go into the qualifying rounds of the Conference league. Neither side from last season even made it through to this years Conference league group stage. So i don't think he can be banking on trips to the Bernabeu and San Siro!
    Moving abroad with a young family for the experience of playing in front of 4k fans each week with a chance to play a couple of Conference league games in the arse end of nowhere each season doesn't sound like an amazing incentive.

Not to mention that "according to Transfermarkt, we find that the average monthly salary of a footballer in Hungary is HUF 3.8 million (EUR 9,880)". Even if we assume he'd be on well above the average, i can't see how this is better for him than staying with us or finding another English club.
    I agree with you I just don't think it's as bad and unlikely a decision as some are making it out to be. For some the chance to play in European qualifiers might be more attractive than signing for a League One club but there's lots of factors at play as you mention. 
  • Latest news and gossip from the72 on Newsnow.......

But an ever so slightly ancient stock photo, which is also reversed. Their info is bound to be accurate and up to date shurely!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to Dobson if he does get a better move, I will be sad to see him go, think he unfairly gets a lot more criticism online then he deserves, not so much actually at the games with the wider fanbase thankfully.

I will be hoping he stays as not yet ready to declare Coventry a superior player plus I want a good squad not just a good first eleven so plenty of room for them both in a Charlton shirt. 
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do find the Ward signing a bit weird on the face of it. Unless they really do have no confidence in AMB and Isted , but Ward doesn't really fit the profile of someone that's coming to properly push AMB. 
    Going to help with coaching doubt he’ll figure even in the bench unless of injury .. 
    What’s your source for the coaching bit?
    I said it earlier in this thread
  • ross1 said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do find the Ward signing a bit weird on the face of it. Unless they really do have no confidence in AMB and Isted , but Ward doesn't really fit the profile of someone that's coming to properly push AMB. 
    Going to help with coaching doubt he’ll figure even in the bench unless of injury .. 
    His role at Swindon? That’s still an assumption that he’ll do the same here, I was wondering if there was something beyond that.
  • Scoham said:
    ross1 said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    His role at Swindon? That’s still an assumption that he’ll do the same here, I was wondering if there was something beyond that.
    Has he got any managerial experience?
  • Scoham said:
    ross1 said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    You may be right, but he read my comments and assumed I am right  :)
  • Redrobo said:
    If CBT is a loan, I assume that means no sell on fee?
    Cosmic.
    There is a big sell on clause …
    How much?

As from what i've read from Cawley, Charlton and Derby there is no mention of any sell on fee.
    It said “ generous sell on fee “ the deal could be worth 500,000 with other add ons 
  • edited January 23
    ValleyBen said:
    Good luck to Dobson if he does get a better move, I will be sad to see him go, think he unfairly gets a lot more criticism online then he deserves, not so much actually at the games with the wider fanbase thankfully.

I will be hoping he stays as not yet ready to declare Coventry a superior player plus I want a good squad not just a good first eleven so plenty of room for them both in a Charlton shirt. 
    Does he get a lot of criticism online? Is it on twitter, because on here there’s a few posters who don’t rate him at the level others do - but I’d hardly call that criticism. 

• Dobson is the best defensive midfielder we have and Fraser is the Best creative midfielder we have why we want to get rid I do not know.after Fraser Louie Watson is most creative midfielder we have.The lad on loan from Wednesday has had a promising start but the one from Man City looks like he couldn’t trap a bag of cement. I know it’s early days but can’t see them being better than Fraser. 
  • If the Scott Fraser deal is off I’d be tempted to suggest that the new manager wants to keep him or at least keep him around as an option until the end of the season 
    Was my thought as well, had me wondering if they have someone lined up who had said he rates Fraser.

• I have worked abroad before and have travelled a lot and never found a city better than London.  It has culture, history, architecture, great restaurants, theatres, great sport and much more.  It's not perfect but no where is.  I think English people talk it down toi much at times.
    Having said all of that I have never understood why more English players don't play abroad.  Not sure Hungry Infront of 3,000 people is overly attractive though.
    Fair enough mate, to me it isn't the same anymore. It's not safe (heightened by social media no doubt) and it's become a bit of a dump other than the heavily looked after/guarded tourist attractions.

Unfortunately I am tied down in the general area for the foreseeable, if my work was more mobile/free lance I'd be off in a shot, only Charlton I care for in this city now.

That's my thought process, especially as a life experience and a chance to play different competition. It's why I was so happy to see Kane move to Bayern as it's quite rare you see a top English player move away from the Prem.

Haha close for me. I've lived in West Thamesmead (most of my life), Abbey Wood and Bexleyheath. 

150k a year but in a short career and would cost a hefty fee to live comfortably in a nice bit of London. 

I'd personally rather get a contract in a safer city that's affordable and live like a king. 

Of course hope he stays but I think if he was going to he would have signed by now. I reckon we had to get promoted to keep him, hopefully I'm wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 23

I have worked abroad before and have travelled a lot and never found a city better than London.  It has culture, history, architecture, great restaurants, theatres, great sport and much more.  It's not perfect but no where is.  I think English people talk it down toi much at times.
    Having said all of that I have never understood why more English players don't play abroad.  Not sure Hungry Infront of 3,000 people is overly attractive though.
    Fair enough mate, to me it isn't the same anymore. It's not safe (heightened by social media no doubt) and it's become a bit of a dump other than the heavily looked after/guarded tourist attractions.

Unfortunately I am tied down in the general area for the foreseeable, if my work was more mobile/free lance I'd be off in a shot, only Charlton I care for in this city now.

That's my thought process, especially as a life experience and a chance to play different competition. It's why I was so happy to see Kane move to Bayern as it's quite rare you see a top English player move away from the Prem.

Haha close for me. I've lived in West Thamesmead (most of my life), Abbey Wood and Bexleyheath. 

150k a year but in a short career and would cost a hefty fee to live comfortably in a nice bit of London. 

I'd personally rather get a contract in a safer city that's affordable and live like a king. 

Of course hope he stays but I think if he was going to he would have signed by now. I reckon we had to get promoted to keep him, hopefully I'm wrong.
    If you’re bored of London, you’re bored of life!
    Love living here, and don’t find it unsafe at all, but of course other great cities are available. 👍
    Our big problem is that with each year we spend in L1 we become a less attractive destination for ambitious footballers. We’ve got to get out of this league very quickly. 
  • fenaddick said:
    The interesting thing is that this Hungarian team seem to be the only one interested in him. Obviously might be different in the summer but it strengthens our hand if no one else is trying to unsettle him
    I was surprised at this.  I don’t think he’s some sort of world beater and expected a glut of Championship clubs to come in for him, but I thought more UK clubs may want him.  Like you say, might be different in the summer when he’s officially out of contract 
  • cabbles said:
    fenaddick said:
    The interesting thing is that this Hungarian team seem to be the only one interested in him. Obviously might be different in the summer but it strengthens our hand if no one else is trying to unsettle him
    I was surprised at this.  I don’t think he’s some sort of world beater and expected a glut of Championship clubs to come in for him, but I thought more UK clubs may want him.  Like you say, might be different in the summer when he’s officially out of contract 
    Like who though? He's not good enough for the Championship, the top L1 teams don't make use of a player with his skillset and the other L1 teams can't afford him. He's been the most consistent player in a team that has finished 13th then 10th and are currently 16th and angling down. He'll want a payrise on what he's on now and he's on a decent wage with us. Add to that the fact that we'll demand a fee now but he's free in the summer he's just not good value at the moment
  • I expected top end of League 1 , lower end of the championship interest in Dobson for sure. It's quite an interesting one that the only interest that's come out was Wrexham in the summer and the Hungarian club now. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Good luck to Dobson if he does get a better move, I will be sad to see him go, think he unfairly gets a lot more criticism online then he deserves, not so much actually at the games with the wider fanbase thankfully.

Does he get a lot of criticism online? Is it on twitter, because on here there’s a few posters who don’t rate him at the level others do - but I’d hardly call that criticism. 

I don't use Twitter, you see here from certain posters regular claiming Dobson is not good enough, calls to drop him match after match, saying his passing is poor etc. 

Thankfully in the actual crowd we are desperate to see him stay as we see how important he is, even when he looks knackered. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I expected top end of League 1 , lower end of the championship interest in Dobson for sure. It's quite an interesting one that the only interest that's come out was Wrexham in the summer and the Hungarian club now. 
    He has had championship interest before. Millwall were apparently interested in the summer but his Dad is a big West Ham fan and said no chance.

Source: One of Dobson's best mates works with one of my mates.
  • Sunderland didn't rate him, Adkins, and possibly crappleton and Scott don't either. What do they see that we don't? He isn't creative and recently he has been sitting a bit deep but look at the tackles he wins and the energy in his game.

I rate him as a l1 player, he might cut it in the championship at the right clubs but as we will be in L1 (maximum) next year, we should keep him!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I expected top end of League 1 , lower end of the championship interest in Dobson for sure. It's quite an interesting one that the only interest that's come out was Wrexham in the summer and the Hungarian club now. 
    He has had championship interest before. Millwall were apparently interested in the summer but his Dad is a big West Ham fan and said no chance.

Source: One of Dobson's best mates works with one of my mates.

That's interesting to know! I was thinking someone like a Bristol City or Plymouth in terms of those midtable championship clubs. Not surprised Millwall had an interest in him.