Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    I do find the Ward signing a bit weird on the face of it. Unless they really do have no confidence in AMB and Isted , but Ward doesn't really fit the profile of someone that's coming to properly push AMB. 
    Always had 3 keepers in the squad .. 

3 senior keepers is a bit of an odd move though? AMB, Isted backed up by Molyeneux and Adegoke would be perfectly fine? Just reminds me of Man City signing Scott Carson , Chelsea with Ross Turnbull or Man United with Lee Grant. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I do find the Ward signing a bit weird on the face of it. Unless they really do have no confidence in AMB and Isted , but Ward doesn't really fit the profile of someone that's coming to properly push AMB. 

3 senior keepers is a bit of an odd move though? AMB, Isted backed up by Molyeneux and Adegoke would be perfectly fine? Just reminds me of Man City signing Scott Carson , Chelsea with Ross Turnbull or Man United with Lee Grant. 
    Maybe this is part of our new big club mentality.
  • sam3110 said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Sacking Appleton halfway through a window won’t affect transfers in my opinion, he was never a draw to any of the signings we’ve made so far.
    Disagree, a few of our signings have been players that have played under him before, I have no doubt that Coventry wouldn't have been influenced to sign here if he hadn't played for Appleton
    Gawd. Three negatives in that last sentence made it tough for us old ‘uns to work out.
  • edited January 22
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Molyneux is long term injured I heard 

• MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Not when Isted and AMB both seem quite fragile by Keeper standards. Chances of having both fit at once for an extended period seems quite low on current evidence.

3rd keeper would not have been a priority for me but its not that unreasonable either honestly.
  • Chunes said:
    Signing a third goalkeeper is curious and I'm not going to even pretend I understand it.
    Fearful after the Isted injury I reckon. Isted's injury was worse than feared and AMB has a history of using himself like a humsn torpedo and getting his head stoved in. He's only 24 and has to play in a face mask because he's got more career concussions than clean sheets. We don't have a youth keeper who is far enough along to be our bench option and they will have looked at Walker against Cray Valley and decided it's not worth relying on the free agent market in a pinch if one of the keepers goes down again. It's not a bad thing to be honest, having two keepers seems fine until one is injured and then it's sweaty palms every time the keeper goes for something
    Even so though you can just get an emergency loan. Think he's a bonus coach that can do a job if needed
  • Oggy Red said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Molyneux is long term injured I heard 

Ah I wasn't aware he was injured long term , that changes the equation slightly. 
  • Chunes said:
    Signing a third goalkeeper is curious and I'm not going to even pretend I understand it.
    Fearful after the Isted injury I reckon. Isted's injury was worse than feared and AMB has a history of using himself like a humsn torpedo and getting his head stoved in. He's only 24 and has to play in a face mask because he's got more career concussions than clean sheets. We don't have a youth keeper who is far enough along to be our bench option and they will have looked at Walker against Cray Valley and decided it's not worth relying on the free agent market in a pinch if one of the keepers goes down again. It's not a bad thing to be honest, having two keepers seems fine until one is injured and then it's sweaty palms every time the keeper goes for something
    Even so though you can just get an emergency loan. Think he's a bonus coach that can do a job if needed
    It's not always so simple though. You can only get an emergency loan if all the professional goalkeepers at a club are unavailable. That means that if Isted's still out and AMB throws his head at another boot then there's no senior keeper to bring off the bench, you're throwing a kid in to see out a game. You're also reliant on there being a suitable emergency keeper available for loan, and I think we'll be at once bitten twice shy stage after Walker was the best we could get in one market. You might end up in a situation where you can't get someone in who is much better than Ward for 7 days, so you're probably better off having him training with the team and the other keepers every day and feeling comfortable coming in rather than getting a random keeper in to do you a favour. The coaching stuff is definitely a plus as third keepers are usually expected to be a big part of the training and supporting of the main keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    I thought Lewis Ward will help out with coaching the youngsters. I thought it was mentioned earlier in rumours
    We need help coaching the first team keepers for starters 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Going to help with coaching doubt he’ll figure even in the bench unless of injury .. 
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Not when Isted and AMB both seem quite fragile by Keeper standards. Chances of having both fit at once for an extended period seems quite low on current evidence.

3rd keeper would not have been a priority for me but its not that unreasonable either honestly.
    Isted an excellent keeper .. 
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

The present incumbent is not good enough at the moment, he will eventually will learn to dominate the area, that's not in him now. Is Isted a better keeper? I don't know, I haven't seen him enough to form a judgment.  
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Going to help with coaching doubt he’ll figure even in the bench unless of injury .. 
    What’s your source for the coaching bit?
  • The only thing more in disarray than Charlton Athletic at the moment is the team's Appleton puts out on the pitch.
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    What’s your source for the coaching bit?
    Plymouth Herald 🤔.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Sacking Appleton halfway through a window won’t affect transfers in my opinion, he was never a draw to any of the signings we’ve made so far.
    So why have so many players signed who have been coached by Appleton?
  • edited January 22
    thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Maybe maybe not. Just come back from a long injury though, and at risk of getting injured again if thrown in again too soon. 

In fact you could say he's fragile at the moment. Which I did, if you could actually read instead of trolling.

• Sponsored links:

• CBT deal is a loan which is weird 
  • So we have lost our main attacking threat apart from May and not yet recruited a chancemaker/scorer to replace him.
    If we are playing 352 we need a creative 10 behind the front two who can score goals.
  • Chunes said:
    It's not always so simple though. You can only get an emergency loan if all the professional goalkeepers at a club are unavailable. That means that if Isted's still out and AMB throws his head at another boot then there's no senior keeper to bring off the bench, you're throwing a kid in to see out a game. You're also reliant on there being a suitable emergency keeper available for loan, and I think we'll be at once bitten twice shy stage after Walker was the best we could get in one market. You might end up in a situation where you can't get someone in who is much better than Ward for 7 days, so you're probably better off having him training with the team and the other keepers every day and feeling comfortable coming in rather than getting a random keeper in to do you a favour. The coaching stuff is definitely a plus as third keepers are usually expected to be a big part of the training and supporting of the main keeper.
    Walker was a free agent, which is a very small, and limited pool.

When needed, other clubs have never had problems getting an emergency loan keeper in, as there will be PL and Championship clubs well stocked with keepers, and their 3rd keeper is likely to be much better than a Swindon reserve.
  • Southbank said:
    So we have lost our main attacking threat apart from May and not yet recruited a chancemaker/scorer to replace him.
    If we are playing 352 we need a creative 10 behind the front two who can score goals.
    There’s still time in the window, if you’d have offered me the 7 in and the few players out at the beginning of the window I’d have bit your hand off, just need to sort the manager now .
  • Yann897 said:
    Southbank said:
    So we have lost our main attacking threat apart from May and not yet recruited a chancemaker/scorer to replace him.
    There’s still time in the window, if you’d have offered me the 7 in and the few players out at the beginning of the window I’d have bit your hand off, just need to sort the manager now .
    Don’t worry, will be done the day after the window closes.
  • You can play against your own club with their agreement