Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Building the squad now reduces the job required in summer and gives us a proxy extended pre season yo see what additions and exits we need. Will also hopefully make us more attractive to further signings in summer if it looks like we're gonna be having a go and motivate the winners like May and maybe Dobson to stay.

Also signing good quality players means we're not limited to a system/ style of play should things not work out with Appleton.

That's a benefit on not giving an in situ manager carte blanche on recruitment as these days squads and signings tend to outlive them by a long time.

Will be well pleased if we get these touted signings through the door.

First transfer window for years it feels like we're actually doing something strategically with proper financial clout behind it rather than going through the motions patching up a squad with hit and hope signings.

If we carry on on this trajectory between now and August (assuming we do sign a few more this next couple if weeks) I'll be confident we will give it a good go next year.

Early days of course but nice to bask in a bit of positivity in a January transfer window and feel like we have a senior management team who know what they're doing.

Get this right and they'll have a lot of goodwill come August and Appleton's job should be a lot easier with good players at his disposal like when he took over and had aneke and leaburn and May.

🤞 

I agree, I’m really pleased we’ve started the rebuild now, getting quality in, our seasons over, but these new players will have something to prove. Ipswich took their 21/22 form in that latter half of that season into 22/23 and hit the ground running. Hopefully we do can do the same. 
  • Our season is not over.
    We can still get relegated, and we can still get enough points to make the play offs.
    Tomorrow is one single game worth three points.
  • Not strictly January but Cawley and Edmund Brack says we have options on Lucas Ness and Deji Elerewe and that we're likely to trigger both
  • fenaddick said:
    Not strictly January but Cawley and Edmund Brack says we have options on Lucas Ness and Deji Elerewe and that we're likely to trigger both

Sensible moves , assuming we get Edmonds-Green across the line I'd be looking to get Deji a loan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    A few days ago Rich Cawley said Ladapo deal wasn’t happening, it was dead in the water, now it is supposedly, I won’t believe it until it’s official.
    He also said that Coventry to Wednesday was still on, not doubting Rich but that proves that things can change quite quickly 
    There is that.. Plus he doesn't get much info from the club these days.. 
    Because this bunch prefer to use people who are willing to be mouthpieces rather than actual journalists who will question and look to back up sources and get confirmation. 

Not saying the information you get fed isn't correct but it's certainly spun a particular way and hasn't gone though the journalist rigour of something that rich would put out.

Doesn't RC only have the opportunity & time to reach out to his contacts at the club to verify / seek a comment? Not sure how much more digging can be done when we are discussing L1 players.
    I greatly appreciate RC especially knowing that "shoestring" is an exaggeration of the resources he and the SLP have at their disposal. I just wish he'd been a bit more sceptical in his reporting of "Dobbo to Hungary". Ideally, not running it without evidence of at least which club was showing "interest". But this time of year is crazy for reporters like him, and I suppose its unfair to expect him to have a detailed knowledge of how f***ed up Hungarian league football is, and why. 
  • Building the squad now reduces the job required in summer and gives us a proxy extended pre season yo see what additions and exits we need. Will also hopefully make us more attractive to further signings in summer if it looks like we're gonna be having a go and motivate the winners like May and maybe Dobson to stay.

Also signing good quality players means we're not limited to a system/ style of play should things not work out with Appleton.

That's a benefit on not giving an in situ manager carte blanche on recruitment as these days squads and signings tend to outlive them by a long time.

Will be well pleased if we get these touted signings through the door.

First transfer window for years it feels like we're actually doing something strategically with proper financial clout behind it rather than going through the motions patching up a squad with hit and hope signings.

If we carry on on this trajectory between now and August (assuming we do sign a few more this next couple if weeks) I'll be confident we will give it a good go next year.

Early days of course but nice to bask in a bit of positivity in a January transfer window and feel like we have a senior management team who know what they're doing.

Get this right and they'll have a lot of goodwill come August and Appleton's job should be a lot easier with good players at his disposal like when he took over and had aneke and leaburn and May.

🤞 

I agree, I’m really pleased we’ve started the rebuild now, getting quality in, our seasons over, but these new players will have something to prove. Ipswich took their 21/22 form in that latter half of that season into 22/23 and hit the ground running. Hopefully we do can do the same. 
    No it's not, we need to stay up first.
  • seth plum said:
    Our season is not over.
    We can still get relegated, and we can still get enough points to make the play offs.
    Tomorrow is one single game worth three points.
    never!
  • PragueAddick said: 
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    A few days ago Rich Cawley said Ladapo deal wasn’t happening, it was dead in the water, now it is supposedly, I won’t believe it until it’s official.
    He also said that Coventry to Wednesday was still on, not doubting Rich but that proves that things can change quite quickly 
    Because this bunch prefer to use people who are willing to be mouthpieces rather than actual journalists who will question and look to back up sources and get confirmation. 

Not saying the information you get fed isn't correct but it's certainly spun a particular way and hasn't gone though the journalist rigour of something that rich would put out.

Doesn't RC only have the opportunity & time to reach out to his contacts at the club to verify / seek a comment? Not sure how much more digging can be done when we are discussing L1 players.
    I greatly appreciate RC especially knowing that "shoestring" is an exaggeration of the resources he and the SLP have at their disposal. I just wish he'd been a bit more sceptical in his reporting of "Dobbo to Hungary". Ideally, not running it without evidence of at least which club was showing "interest". But this time of year is crazy for reporters like him, and I suppose its unfair to expect him to have a detailed knowledge of how f***ed up Hungarian league football is, and why. 
    Checked Wikipedia and a bit surprised to see Roderick Duchatelet still owns Ujpest and Nobby Vinegar (remember him?) returned as manager.

Can’t see Dobson going there but imagine he goes to play for a club owned by Roland’s son…
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

His job is to get people clicking on his links. He did that. Think we all (and not a dig at you Prague) under appreciate how good he is as a local reporter. He doesn't just re-hash things into clickbait, he seems to share things where he can and he interacts with the fans. The Dobbo to Hungary story was guaranteed clicks. I know it didn't have much detail but it's a worthwhile link. You might know how messed up Hungarian football is but that doesn't mean Dobbo does. Players aren't well known for taking in the bigger picture, just look at the Saudi situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    PragueAddick said: 
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Checked Wikipedia and a bit surprised to see Roderick Duchatelet still owns Ujpest and Nobby Vinegar (remember him?) returned as manager.

Can’t see Dobson going there but imagine he goes to play for a club owned by Roland’s son…
    It's not for want of trying to get shot of it. He had a local buyer and the whole thing fell apart in acrimony at the last minute. Did you take a look at the league table? All going according to the Duchatelet template....
  • Scoham said:
    PragueAddick said: 
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

It's not for want of trying to get shot of it. He had a local buyer and the whole thing fell apart in acrimony at the last minute. Did you take a look at the league table? All going according to the Duchatelet template....
    Not achieving much on the pitch and having trouble selling both sound so very  familiar.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Rich Cawley needs hits on his website.
    Not enough hits and he's out of a job.

He's of course always going to pitch his stories for maximum curiosity and interest, leaving something still to be said for a future article. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Cawley also says Scott and Appleton went to Connor Coventry's parent's house the night of the fans' forum. That feels like a proper Curbs move
    did they watch a video?
  • edited January 19
    LargeAddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    Cawley also says Scott and Appleton went to Connor Coventry's parent's house the night of the fans' forum. That feels like a proper Curbs move
    did they watch a video?
  • fenaddick said:
    Were they wearing hooped jumpers, masks and a couple of bags with swag written on them?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Ladapo would be a loan, if it happens
    Would prefer to a 3yr deal or whatever tbh given his age.
  • fenaddick said:
    Yeah, his dad went straight on the target list as soon as he left hospital with his "new" knee. Luckily enough, Connor was at home and he signed instead...

😉
  • iaitch said:
    fenaddick said:
    Were they wearing hooped jumpers, masks and a couple of bags with swag written on them?
    I know we're joking but Cawley also said that MA didn't like the cup of tea CC's mum made him which did make me laugh
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:

Quite often the club is left unnamed as was the case with Leaburn and an unnamed Bundesliga club in the summer. I don't think Rich would have written an article unless there was genuine information there. Whilst I don't expect Dobson to go to Hungary it's really not out the question for a club like Ferencvaros to be interested, they've signed premier league players in the past. Dobson, like most in the country, probably isn't aware of the political issues in Hungarian football. It would be a chance to play football in a beautiful city, on higher wages and play in a European competition.