Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• edited January 19
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Had to check that was the real O'Rourke when I saw that! 
    Same, especially due to the time, certainly the most active January I can recall with transfer gossip/links 

Definitely better names we're being linked with but we can only judge with who actually signs for us. Interesting couple of weeks ahead.
    Yeah, when he's signed on the dotted line I'll be happy, as so far it's been links and that's as far as it's gone.

Ladapo I am not 100% about as he may be just leaving his prime, but if we get him, he's commited and he can replicate his Rotherham form, it will be a real coup. Probably the best option after JCH from this league. I know he will be from the league above but all of his best football is here.

Still a long way to go, need a new centre back, the two new wingbacks and a creative mid, but I like the names we are being linked with. 
    In other words an entire new team. 
    Precisely mate haha, if we are switching to a wing back formation and dropping out and out wingers, we need to improve on the flanks.

I'd keep an eye on Nicky Cadden if Barnsley don't go up, I've also always rated Herbie Kane and he's free in the summer from there. Both would be brilliant signings.

We have more than enough midfielders but… if Dobbo ain’t signing there’s a place for him maybe?
    A lot of hype around Conteh from Grimsby fans. Meant to be a proper engine in the midfield and a good tackler. Only 21 as well. If Dobson was to leave, that's the type I'd hope we would be looking at.
    I’ll be gobsmacked if we buy another midfielder, unless at least one or two are moved on or loaned out. Does sound like a good signing though, on paper. 

Will be gutted if CBT goes, as he’s provided some light in a very gloomy season, but if it means we can be more flexible in our formations then that’s a bonus. 
    May, Ladapo and ‘the Vale lad’ Ikky would be an interesting combo up top, with Kanu as one of our own thrown into the mix, especially with Chuks & Miles coming back at some stage. 
    This is much more than I was expecting from this window when added to the other signings, even if CBT does go. 
  • TEL said:
    How about Gareth McCleary in to replace CBT......bit surprised he has stayed at WW to be honest.
    Isn’t he about 37 now?
    36 but still pretty good.....would push us on this season in my opinion
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    He's rubbish apparently but he's 6ft tall (just) from Peckham and he's not Hector.
    Warnock rated him.. And doesn’t sound like he will be a starter. More back up, but he is a good age, played a decent amount games in the championship and has been promoted from League One, so for me jury out until see him play in a charlton shirt 
    Warnock rated him but did criticise the fact he couldn’t play longer than an hour. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    So we could expect 4 in the next few days, Goalie from Swindon, Defender from Huddersfield and the two forwards?
    Isn't there also an attacking midfielder in the works who would be "the highest fee we've spent in years"?
  • Wasn’t a certain Andy Jones way back when,  the last striker we signed from Port Vale?

He flattered to deceive as I recall. 🙁
    I still have nightmares about his open goal miss away at Oldham. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Had to check that was the real O'Rourke when I saw that! 
    Same, especially due to the time, certainly the most active January I can recall with transfer gossip/links 

Definitely better names we're being linked with but we can only judge with who actually signs for us. Interesting couple of weeks ahead.
    Yeah, when he's signed on the dotted line I'll be happy, as so far it's been links and that's as far as it's gone.

Ladapo I am not 100% about as he may be just leaving his prime, but if we get him, he's commited and he can replicate his Rotherham form, it will be a real coup. Probably the best option after JCH from this league. I know he will be from the league above but all of his best football is here.

Still a long way to go, need a new centre back, the two new wingbacks and a creative mid, but I like the names we are being linked with. 
    In other words an entire new team. 
    Precisely mate haha, if we are switching to a wing back formation and dropping out and out wingers, we need to improve on the flanks.

I'd keep an eye on Nicky Cadden if Barnsley don't go up, I've also always rated Herbie Kane and he's free in the summer from there. Both would be brilliant signings.

We have more than enough midfielders but… if Dobbo ain’t signing there’s a place for him maybe?
    A lot of hype around Conteh from Grimsby fans. Meant to be a proper engine in the midfield and a good tackler. Only 21 as well. If Dobson was to leave, that's the type I'd hope we would be looking at.
    I’ll be gobsmacked if we buy another midfielder, unless at least one or two are moved on or loaned out. Does sound like a good signing though, on paper. 
    I’d be surprised if we don’t move any on. MA has said Fraser can go and yesterday he was linked with Motherwell and is said to want to return to Scotland (despite interest from English clubs).

Feels like Dobson going is a possibility.

Anderson loaned out would make sense too.

I’d expect any CM coming in to be more attacking based on the rumours and our lack of goals from midfield.
  • So assuming we got the 4 being mentioned then how many of those 4 would be considered elite L1 and would walk into the top sides of this division, and if we sell CBT how many of the squad including the new 4 could fit the description?
    I reckon Conor Coventry was sold by something more than Ikpeanza and a bit part player from Huddersfield.

• Could have a team of strangers tomorrow at this rate.
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Could have a team of strangers tomorrow at this rate.
    I’d have Jones, May and Dobson from the beginning of the season the rest I’m not fussed about, so I’m very happy we’re gonna have a new team . Quite an exciting time to be a Charlton fan I think.
  • edited January 19
    Could this mean that with 12 days (?) left of the Transfer Window, we may have a quiet Deadline Day?

Glad to see that Ipswich are being reminded that we need to sign one player from them per window, else the world will descend into chaos ;)
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    He's rubbish apparently but he's 6ft tall (just) from Peckham and he's not Hector.
    Warnock rated him.. And doesn’t sound like he will be a starter. More back up, but he is a good age, played a decent amount games in the championship and has been promoted from League One, so for me jury out until see him play in a charlton shirt 
    Warnock rated him but did criticise the fact he couldn’t play longer than an hour. 
    That’s 15 mins than most of our players bother with so a positive straight away!
  • edited January 19
    @Swisdom complete guess on your midfielder, but even in their distressed state, Harvey Knibbs wouldn't be cheap. 

As long as it is an attacking midfielder that is.
  • cfgs said:
    What's changing then?
  • SLP podcast with Cawley on our search for strikers.

SPOTIFY: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/edmundbrack7/episodes/Episode-11-Transfer-window-QA-special—update-on-Cresswell–Charltons-striker-hunt-and-Palaces-current-situation—The-South-London-Press-Football-Pod-e2ekn9e

APPLE PODCASTS: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-south-london-press-football-pod/id1713790735

• MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 
    Who'd have thought playing 2 forwards might be a good idea?
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:
    Might get a win if so!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-explains-formation-change-as-doubts-over-future-of-main-wingers-a-factor/

Interesting piece , didn't realise TC was out of contract at the end of the season. 
    Embarrassing that it took him so long to realise these things. But at least he’s on the right track now, if he can turn around our current run of form I’ll be ok with him having next season 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    A few days ago Rich Cawley said Ladapo deal wasn’t happening, it was dead in the water, now it is supposedly, I won’t believe it until it’s official.
    He also said that Coventry to Wednesday was still on, not doubting Rich but that proves that things can change quite quickly 
    There is that.. Plus he doesn't get much info from the club these days.. 
    Because this bunch prefer to use people who are willing to be mouthpieces rather than actual journalists who will question and look to back up sources and get confirmation. 

Not saying the information you get fed isn't correct but it's certainly spun a particular way and hasn't gone though the journalist rigour of something that rich would put out.

Doesn't RC only have the opportunity & time to reach out to his contacts at the club to verify / seek a comment? Not sure how much more digging can be done when we are discussing L1 players.
  • Whoever we end up signing can we please , please pretty please just check their injury history and do a decent medical.