Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    If we don’t sign a striker we are in big trouble, particularly with this clown in charge 
    Don’t think we are , Aneke back in a couple of weeks and why sign a young unknown striker when we have Kanu … give him a run with May till Aneke comes back 
    because may and kanu r both finishers, who need a physical partner and aneke will be injured a few weeks after he comes back - we won't win until we solve this problem 
  • It’s got to be Knibbs and Smith right. Could a deal be done with reading for the two of them? Doesn't sit right with me but if we don’t have them they will go to other clubs anyway 
  • It's obvious that we're after a certain profile of striker to fill a hole in the absence of Leaburn and Chuks so with that in mind...

On my lunch break, here's a list of 61 strikers playing in the top four divisions of England or Scottish Premiership that are 6ft or taller between ages 21 and 30 and I think might be interested in playing for CAFC either permanently or on loan. They are in height order (tallest first).

The majority of these won't be good enough which is why they're available, & I didn't check if they're currently injured or recently moved clubs in this window already but anyway... have fun!

1. Kyle Hudlin (Huddersfield)
    2. Tete Yengi (Livingston)
    3. Josh Andrews (Accrington, on loan from Birmingham)
    4. Harry Smith (Sutton United)
    5. Aaron Pressley (Stevenage)
    6. Will Goodwin (Cheltenham)
    7. Joel Nouble (Livingston)
    8. Amadou Bakayoko (Dundee, on loan from Forest Green)
    9. Matthew Hoppe (Middlesbrough)
    10. Joshua Kayode (Carlisle)
    11. Conor Wilkinson (Colchester)
    12. Theo Bair (Motherwell)
    13. Kurtis Guthrie (Livingston)
    14. Mikael Mandron (St Mirren)
    15. Uche Ikpeazu (Port Vale)
    16. Kieron Bowie (Northampton, on loan from Fulham)
    17. Ryan Loft (Port Vale)
    18. Innes Cameron (Kilmarnock)
    19. James Scott (Exeter)
    20. Robert Street (Cheltenham)
    21. Jayden Stockley (Fleetwood)
    22. Max Watters (Barnsley)
    23. Kyle Wootton (Stockport)
    24. Ryan Edmondson (Carlisle)
    25. Ashley Nadesan (Gillingham)
    26. Danilo Orsi (Crawley)
    27. Klaidi Lolos (Crawley)
    28. Oli Shaw (Motherwell, on loan from Barnsley)
    29. Harvey Knibbs (Reading)
    30. Hassan Ahadme (Cambridge)
    31. Georgie Kelly (Rotherham)
    32. Joe Pigott (Leyton Orient)
    33. Kieran Phillips (Shrewsbury, on loan from Huddersfield)
    34. Lee Angol (Sutton Utd)
    35. Zak Rudden (Dundee)
    36. Kyle Joseph (Blackpool)
    37. Max Mata (Shrewsbury)
    38. Jake Young (Bradford)
    39. Cole Stockton (Burton)
    40. Tyreece Simpson (Northampton, on loan from Huddersfield)
    41. Tom Hopper (Colchester)
    42. Tony Watt (Dundee Utd)
    43. Dan N'Lundulu (Bolton)
    44. Sam Smith (Reading)
    45. Jack Vale (Blackburn)
    46. Louis Appéré (Northampton)
    47. Luke Armstrong (Carlisle)
    48. Omar Bugiel (AFC Wimbledon)
    49. Jonah Ayunga (St Mirren)
    50. Stephen Humphrys (Wigan)
    51. Jonson Clarke-Harris (Peterborough)
    52. Freddie Ladapo (Ipswich)
    53. Mo Eisa (MK Dons)
    54. Jack Stretton (Stockport)
    55. Daniel Udoh (Shrewsbury)
    56. Admiral Muskwe (Exeter)
    57. Dan Butterworth (Carlisle)
    58. James Wilson (Port Vale)
    59. Rhys Oates (Mansfield)
    60. Kyle Vassell (Kilmarnock)
    61. Alex Samuel (Ross County)
    Could you narrow it down to players who can also play on the wing?
  • Ikpeazu really impressed when we played them
  • Kyle Joseph looks a handful for Blackpool. Not been playing regularly.
  • Is anything possible before Saturday now we’ve lost out on Goodwin?
  • edited January 17
    This shows why all the talk on here of binning off JCH was wrong.

If some people had had their way the club would have told JCH and his agent to feck off and we would have burnt another bridge.

It still might not happen, probably won't, but we still gave that option.

He's basically binned us off already...but let's see eh...🤷‍♂️
    Has he?

What has he said or done to suggest that?

iirc Henry, and I stand ready to be corrected, there have been posts on here saying that he has refused our offers, and the Boro chairman has been reported as saying that we would be the best club for him, but he is not interested it seems, now,...I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, and as I said, lets see where it all ends up...but the clock is running down. 🤷‍♂️ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Why are people keen on Humphrey?

Is he in the Wigan side? If not, why not and why would we want him, just asking?
  • wrong thread maybe but only just noticed we are 19 points off the play offs. NINETEEN. That is abysmal in any language, and this in a season where Andy Scott said anything less than the play offs was unacceptable.
    Woah it's almost like this season hasn't gone the way we planned it 
  • Oggy Red said:
    DOUCHER said:
    If we don’t sign a striker we are in big trouble, particularly with this clown in charge 
    I’m sure we will sign someone but prepare to be underwhelmed. 
    Underwhelmed? 

Like some people were when we signed the day we signed Yann Kermorgant?
    I didn't actually mention  @AFKABartram did I?   :o    
    Good grief, when @Oggy Red  turns against you, you know things are bad! :-)

Ive just re-read the thread Oggster, and you’ll find that after stating ‘he sounds like a Jewish Festival’ I quite clearly type the words in my next post ‘he will probably turn out a genius’.

And what a prediction that was.  

Of course, Boss. Sorry, boss  :(

• Had a quick look at the top scorers in Premier League 2 for some loan options . Wonder if we might go back to West Ham for Callum Marshall? Came off the bench for them last night in the FA Cup but 16 goals in PL2 and 3 caps for the Northern Irish senior team already. 
  • Wonder if we’re looking beyond the obvious eg Scotland? Lyle Taylor  >:) learnt his trade for a while at Falkirk and Patrick Thistle, for example. 
  • If CBT leaves that definately leaves a premium player spot to fill, all at a time that the owners are wanting to limp along to the summer with only essential outlay. If they trouser £600k then they should tie up at least a premium loan to season end, then take stock in the summer. Problem is, who is going to want to come and play in a relegation scrap in League One, that is good enough, and fit enough that has enough pace and goals, to make a difference. 
    Read Braziliance’s post PeP, it’s not a genuine account. 
  • edited January 17
    NabySarr said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Don’t think we are , Aneke back in a couple of weeks and why sign a young unknown striker when we have Kanu … give him a run with May till Aneke comes back 
    Ah yes, because that has worked so well for the last 2 months 
    Kanu been playing in his own .. May been injured 
    Tbf to Ronald, they looked ok together in a two v. Posh, despite not being traditional number 9 type. 
  • edited January 18
    Swisdom said:
    We were looking at the guy Reading sold to Luton today but we presumably can't compete on wages.  But once again, a player nobody had heard of a few weeks ago that we were in for.  I believe Martin's magic box has been destroyed in favour of an upgraded one.

Keep the faith guys

Glad we are looking at better players than previously and I really hope it all works out well.  We did spend at least one transfer window with TS though where we chased players who were a level above League One and found we couldn't get them then panicked and bought in some dress at the end of the window.  History could yet repeat itself.

It's not like Tom Holmes was an unknown quantity either. Earlier this season he was given the title of the most valuable player in L1 in an article.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never has so much been written about so little …

since the takeover threads 
  • Sage said:
    People not going to like it, but think we could do well signing an experienced striker like JHC, Humphrys, etc. it’s definitely what we need. But I also think we should be looking at someone like Mateo Joseph from Leeds.

Same age group as others who has gone on loan this season and done well. He’s an England U20 international, technically good, is strong, and can score goals. It certainly would be with a view to a deal next season if it worked out.

I say people won’t like it because we already have Kanu, and we don’t need another young striker. But I’d like to sign him in addition to another striker this window. Kanu can still be part of the squad or he could benefit from being back at Southend learning even more. 
    We want to sign an experienced on loan and a young up coming striker on a perm …. 
  • I live oop North so a colleague is a Wigan fan. Asked him about Humphreys and he said he would gladly see him leave. Not the most glowing review, and he's been moaning about how bad they've been this season/thinks they'll go down if things don't change etc. Then again they have just been beaten by Doncaster with a full strength squad apparently so maybe that wasn't the best time to ask.
  • Swisdom said:
    We were looking at the guy Reading sold to Luton today but we presumably can't compete on wages.  But once again, a player nobody had heard of a few weeks ago that we were in for.  I believe Martin's magic box has been destroyed in favour of an upgraded one.

Keep the faith guys

Glad we are local king at better players than previously and I really hope it all works out well.  We did spend at least one transfer window with TS though where we chased players who were a level above League One and found we couldn't get them then panicked and bought in some dress at the end of the window.  History could yet repeat itself.

It's not like Tom Holmes was an unknown quantity either. Earlier this season he was given the title of the most valuable player in L1 in an article.
    Yes he is highly rated and I still think he's been the second best CB at Reading this season. 
  • This shows why all the talk on here of binning off JCH was wrong.

If some people had had their way the club would have told JCH and his agent to feck off and we would have burnt another bridge.

It still might not happen, probably won't, but we still gave that option.

He's basically binned us off already...but let's see eh...🤷‍♂️
    Has he?

What has he said or done to suggest that?

iirc Henry, and I stand ready to be corrected, there have been posts on here saying that he has refused our offers, and the Boro chairman has been reported as saying that we would be the best club for him, but he is not interested it seems, now,...I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, and as I said, lets see where it all ends up...but the clock is running down. 🤷‍♂️ 
    So JCH hasn't said anything 

But Barry Fry, who has a very strong interest in selling JCH now, has.

I can believe he's asking for more and we're offering less but that's negotiating.
  • supaclive said:
    From the podcast - Methven says : 

Describes our recent form and late goals as giving indigestion over Christmas

January more active than imagined or wanted (not if you sign a load of old bollox on loans Charlie, my boy)

Lots of injuries - a few coming back soon

Curious run of form

Not the usual catastrophe of defeats

Changed from 2 to more like 6 this window (I doubt he means net 6 but we've had 4 out 4 in so far)

He's a slightly frazzled Charlton co-owner.

Called the game v Peterboro as exciting.  Said their front 3 was exciting.  Their fans are placid and allow the team time to develop and improve.  Don't demand the club goes out and buys "splashy players".   Says big clubs like Sunderland (and West Brom and Charlton too) fans expect others.   Says they got pressured to buy Will Grigg at £3m.  Fans delighted by the signing.

Always a sellers market.

Short window. 

Building a squad takes several windows.   Difficult for a manager to integrate 7 or 8 new players.   Jan should be couple of perm and couple of loans.   June get 3 or 4 and add a couple of late in the window. 

Difficult to prune players.   Players fallen out of favour with time left on their contracts.

Conor Coventry has been Scott's most favoured target since July.  His contract was up in the Summer.  He embodies what Scott wants from a central midfielder.   Great deal  - price, player long term deal and the sell on value for West Ham is good.

Extremely keen for a number 9.  Not desperate.

We made quite a substantial bid for Nathan Abbey.

Charlie looks after FFP calculations.  (But he said we were close/breaking it in August and Rodwell said in the live Youtube stream we aren't.......)

Does anyone know who Nathan abbey is? This is all I could find

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Abbey
  • We would have a decent team with all the players we have tried to sign or made supposed good offers to keep. 

If only you could get promoted on wishful thinking.