Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• supaclive said:
    From the podcast - Methven says : 

Describes our recent form and late goals as giving indigestion over Christmas

January more active than imagined or wanted (not if you sign a load of old bollox on loans Charlie, my boy)

Lots of injuries - a few coming back soon

Curious run of form

Not the usual catastrophe of defeats

Changed from 2 to more like 6 this window (I doubt he means net 6 but we've had 4 out 4 in so far)

He's a slightly frazzled Charlton co-owner.

Called the game v Peterboro as exciting.  Said their front 3 was exciting.  Their fans are placid and allow the team time to develop and improve.  Don't demand the club goes out and buys "splashy players".   Says big clubs like Sunderland (and West Brom and Charlton too) fans expect others.   Says they got pressured to buy Will Grigg at £3m.  Fans delighted by the signing.

Always a sellers market.

Short window. 

Building a squad takes several windows.   Difficult for a manager to integrate 7 or 8 new players.   Jan should be couple of perm and couple of loans.   June get 3 or 4 and add a couple of late in the window. 

Difficult to prune players.   Players fallen out of favour with time left on their contracts.

Conor Coventry has been Scott's most favoured target since July.  His contract was up in the Summer.  He embodies what Scott wants from a central midfielder.   Great deal  - price, player long term deal and the sell on value for West Ham is good.

Extremely keen for a number 9.  Not desperate.

We made quite a substantial bid for Nathan Abbey.

Charlie looks after FFP calculations.  (But he said we were close/breaking it in August and Rodwell said in the live Youtube stream we aren't.......)

We know we was because we had to write to EFL and explain 

• supaclive said:

January more active than imagined or wanted (not if you sign a load of old bollox on loans Charlie, my boy)

Curious run of form

Changed from 2 to more like 6 this window (I doubt he means net 6 but we've had 4 out 4 in so far)

Called the game v Peterboro as exciting.  Said their front 3 was exciting.  Their fans are placid and allow the team time to develop and improve.  Don't demand the club goes out and buys "splashy players".   Says big clubs like Sunderland (and West Brom and Charlton too) fans expect others.   Says they got pressured to buy Will Grigg at £3m.  Fans delighted by the signing.

Always a sellers market.

Short window. 

Building a squad takes several windows.   Difficult for a manager to integrate 7 or 8 new players.   Jan should be couple of perm and couple of loans.   June get 3 or 4 and add a couple of late in the window. 

Difficult to prune players.   Players fallen out of favour with time left on their contracts.

Conor Coventry has been Scott's most favoured target since July.  His contract was up in the Summer.  He embodies what Scott wants from a central midfielder.   Great deal  - price, player long term deal and the sell on value for West Ham is good.

Charlie looks after FFP calculations.  (But he said we were close/breaking it in August and Rodwell said in the live Youtube stream we aren't.......)

Does anyone know who Nathan abbey is? This is all I could find

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Abbey
    It’s Nelson Abbey from Reading.
  • PWADDICK said:
    400k for a lad with 6 league goals is mental
    Clubs buy for the potential though.

Obviously on a much higher level but Man U paid 72m for Hojlund who'd only scored 18 league goals. Real Madrid paid 60m for Endrick after 7 senior appearances in Brazil.

Back at league one level though, Kanu has 3 league goals and if we sold him for 400k i'm pretty sure most people on here would be fuming.
  • Yann897 said:
    supaclive said:

Curious run of form

Always a sellers market.

Short window. 

Does anyone know who Nathan abbey is? This is all I could find

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Abbey
    It’s Nelson Abbey from Reading.
    One of the most impressive players I have seen at The Valley for a long time. Couldn't believe how young he was. More chance of me getting jiggy with Paige Spirinac than us signing him. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Chatting to Chuks Saturday - he said he’s 2 or 3 weeks away 
    From his next setback 
  • If Oxford and us are prepared to pay allegedly 400k for a League 2 striker how much is CBT worth. A player in his prime who has more assists and goals this season. Hope we are holding out for a decent fee. 
  • Not looking like there will be a late twist with Goodwin’s move.
  • Between Charlie Red Trousers and Appleton they’ve been more than keen to get out there this week that CBT threw a non-believed sickie at the weekend 
  • Sponsored links:

• pettgra said:
    If Oxford and us are prepared to pay allegedly 400k for a League 2 striker how much is CBT worth. A player in his prime who has more assists and goals this season. Hope we are holding out for a decent fee. 
    except he’s a L1 striker with lots of time left to develop and longer left on his contract. My hunch is that we want around 500k for CBT and that’s where the money to bid for strikers is coming from 
  • Holmes to Luton and Stockton to Barrow. Shows how reasonable/unreasonable our transfer rumours have been. One completely out of our league and the other a one season wonder who would have stunk the place out.
    To be fair, we signed a player from Premier league West Ham for a transfer fee, it isn't always as simple as you've posted or I've just posted there.

Holmes isn't out of our league as he's still going to be featuring in it, it's just premier league money taking a punt. I don't expect Luton think he's ready for their team yet, it's just an opportunity has popped up and they've taken advantage of it.

Stockton being a one season wonder is a bit of a myth if you look at his Morecambe record. Just appears to be a player who prefers to play his football further North of the country, Barrow have done really well to secure him on loan. I'll be intrigued to see how he gets on, League 2 looking very competitive.
    @Braziliance Agree I was being a bit simplistic and the Coventry signing is hopefully a statement of things to come. I was just I guess lamenting the fact that we continually (and I mean over several years) get ourselves attached to rumours of players that we are never going to get (in the case of Holmes I meant that the fee was out of our league) or Stockton who is the big thing for a short period (I take your point but I’d argue strongly that his recent record suggests he’s a busted flush). I’m influenced by the fact that one of my mates has gone in relentlessly about signing him for the last three years 🤣. The Ajose experience still leaves me scarred. I even worry that spunking big money on the likes of JCH would be more about appeasing fans by signing a big name than actual hard nosed business sense as there is a case to be made that he too is past his prime. We do need someone though!!

Loving the podcasts mate. Keep it up  👍
  • thenewbie said:
    This shows why all the talk on here of binning off JCH was wrong.

If some people had had their way the club would have told JCH and his agent to feck off and we would have burnt another bridge.

It still might not happen, probably won't, but we still gave that option.

He's basically binned us off already...but let's see eh...🤷‍♂️
    Has he?

What has he said or done to suggest that?

iirc Henry, and I stand ready to be corrected, there have been posts on here saying that he has refused our offers, and the Boro chairman has been reported as saying that we would be the best club for him, but he is not interested it seems, now,...I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, and as I said, lets see where it all ends up...but the clock is running down. 🤷‍♂️ 
    So JCH hasn't said anything 

But Barry Fry, who has a very strong interest in selling JCH now, has.

I can believe he's asking for more and we're offering less but that's negotiating.
    I very much doubt he's "binned" anyone or anything. This is potentially quite a significant move for him, probably his last big contract too so he's actually being very canny and playing it smart by keeping as many options open as possible.

Is it frustrating for us? Yes, and apparently annoying the P'boro team too given the Media game they are playing. But honestly I don't see him as greedy or playing games, just trying to get the best deal he can... which anyone else would surely do in his place.
    Exactly
  • fenaddick said:
    pettgra said:
    If Oxford and us are prepared to pay allegedly 400k for a League 2 striker how much is CBT worth. A player in his prime who has more assists and goals this season. Hope we are holding out for a decent fee. 
    except he’s a L1 striker with lots of time left to develop and longer left on his contract. My hunch is that we want around 500k for CBT and that’s where the money to bid for strikers is coming from 
    Good point. I didn’t factor in the length of Goodwin’s contract.
  • Never mind all that Mr Methven, you can relax in the glow of the decent form of your real first love Oxford United.
  • thenewbie said:

If some people had had their way the club would have told JCH and his agent to feck off and we would have burnt another bridge.

Has he?

iirc Henry, and I stand ready to be corrected, there have been posts on here saying that he has refused our offers, and the Boro chairman has been reported as saying that we would be the best club for him, but he is not interested it seems, now,...I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, and as I said, lets see where it all ends up...but the clock is running down. 🤷‍♂️ 

I can believe he's asking for more and we're offering less but that's negotiating.
    I very much doubt he's "binned" anyone or anything. This is potentially quite a significant move for him, probably his last big contract too so he's actually being very canny and playing it smart by keeping as many options open as possible.

Is it frustrating for us? Yes, and apparently annoying the P'boro team too given the Media game they are playing. But honestly I don't see him as greedy or playing games, just trying to get the best deal he can... which anyone else would surely do in his place.
    Exactly

So, that told me, I stand corrected, but still convinced he has no intention of joining us...just saying..🤷‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• As Charlton supporters of some years standing, we are now bombarded and prodded from every direction with "facts" and minutiae detail from players, agents, owners and fan sites, it makes your head wobble and mouse shudder!  Gone are the halcyon days  when John Bumstead appears on the back page of the Kentish Mercury, signs, plays and is either shit or not shit.
    But you do get a sixth sense about these dealings.  My spider senses are telling me we should swerve this fella.
  • thenewbie said:

Has he?

Exactly

So, that told me, I stand corrected, but still convinced he has no intention of joining us...just saying..🤷‍♂️
    Well I wouldn't say he has no intention at all. I'd be surprised if he wasn't open to the possibility. But he's not got any reason to WANT to come here - good wages yes but offset by cost of London life and moving his family etc. He's not pushing for it but probably not completely against either.

I'm not saying that I think it WILL happen but if it does it won't be till later on (purely speculation, not ITK at all.)
  • Any injured and unfit players where rumoured to be after?
    Think that's where we're shopping at the moment in the NHS.
  • Nelson Abbey still hasn't been announced by Luton has he? But Holmes has, I just wonder if he is considering his options still