Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Looks like it lots of tweets from Plymouth fans and Plymouth twitter accounts.
  • Looks to have a very good left peg on him. At 1:40, yes that’s him taking a corner delivered right into the middle of the six yard box and yes that’s him sending in the follow up cross for a late winning goal that kept Plymouth in the top two with four games left. https://youtu.be/nRJzt64Jb-8?si=BvYOwq26g_4WcX1_
  • Swisdom said:
    I wish we were looking at Aaron Collins at Bristol Rovers.  Him and May up front would be a nightmare combination.  So mobile and annoying and he can also hold the ball up well.
    Not having a stellar season for scoring but 9 assists is not to be sniffed at and he has a LOT of talent.

Possibly out of our price range but would be a menace
    Weren’t Bristol asking for silly money for Collins over the summer.

Would definitely be a good signing, and it’s good to see the list is not just JCH and then last minute panic loan. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Heard from posh side that JCH wanted 15k a week hence the talks breaking down. Not sure where we're at with it at present. 
    Then I suspect Clarke-Harris is going to be a very disappointed man because he’s not going to get anywhere near that now or in the summer. The best he can hope for is £10k and for a club to pay him a hefty signing on fee because there is no transfer fee once he’s a free agent. I can understand why he’s holding out but there’s a risk involved for him too. I think we should leave the offer on the table but seriously pursue other options. £500k plus £10k a week is as far as I’d like to go with him. 
  • edited January 12
    Seeing as Gillesphey seems imminent based on social media, I thought I'd have a look at how he did in the last two seasons for Plymouth at League 1 level. 

21/22 season: 

He sat at rank 100th on whoscored, seems to be the 8th highest ranked Plymouth player for that season.

36 appearances, 4 as a substitute, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 yellow card (surprising) and no red cards. 

Averaged 0.3 fouls a game (fairly low for a defender) averaged 3.5 clearances a game, averaged 60 passes a game (almost seems too high), attempted 5 long balls a game on average and had a pass success of 73%. Was awarded man of the match on 2 occasions in the league. Average of 2.6 aerial duals won per game and an average match rating for the season of 6.82

22/23 season: 

He sat at rank 50th (funny coincidence) and was the 5th highest rated Argyle player in their promotion winning campaign. 

A total of 29 appearances, 6 as a sub, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 yellow and no red cards again. So he certainly sounds like a consistent player if anything on the pitch. 

An average of 0.5 fouls a game, 2.9 average clearances, averaged almost 56 passes a game, with just over 5 long ball attempts per game and a pass success rating of 71.6%. Aerial dual success rate of 3.7 and an average match rating for the season of 6.93.

So all in all, sounds like he loves to have the ball at his feet, attempts a healthy amount of long balls, doesn't sound like the type of defender to get stuck in based on his disciplinary record. 

Not sure what to make of it. Biggest two concerns are only 65 games started out of a possible 92 and the groin injury. It doesn't sound like he's a player we can depend on week in week out but when he is free, sounds very dependable.

Imagine we need a couple of centre backs as well as him, assuming Hector goes, and Thomas
  • Swisdom said:
    I wish we were looking at Aaron Collins at Bristol Rovers.  Him and May up front would be a nightmare combination.  So mobile and annoying and he can also hold the ball up well.
    Not having a stellar season for scoring but 9 assists is not to be sniffed at and he has a LOT of talent.

Weren’t Bristol asking for silly money for Collins over the summer.

Would definitely be a good signing, and it’s good to see the list is not just JCH and then last minute panic loan. 
    Don't speak too soon...

We can't afford Collins, Smith is a decent alternative though IMO. 
  • "assuming Hector goes" um, what? 
  • Scoham said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Heard from posh side that JCH wanted 15k a week hence the talks breaking down. Not sure where we're at with it at present. 
    If true he’s not worth that.
    Our FFP would take a killing …
  • All these rumours that Dobson has been offered a massive pay increase are well off the mark ! Dobbo has been offered an increase of around 16% on his current salary and I know this for a fact is why he hasn't signed and his weekly salary is half of what Kirk was being paid. Dobbo doesn't want to leave Charlton as well and loves the club
    Welcome to the forum Mr.Dobson. Very interesting first ever post.
  • All these rumours that Dobson has been offered a massive pay increase are well off the mark ! Dobbo has been offered an increase of around 16% on his current salary and I know this for a fact is why he hasn't signed and his weekly salary is half of what Kirk was being paid. Dobbo doesn't want to leave Charlton as well and loves the club
    Welcome to the forum Mr.Dobson. Very interesting first ever post.
    In that case, I'm going to give him his first lol. Not because the post warrants a lol. I want to be able to say that Ive someone's lol virginity 
  • Swisdom said:

The Gas have new owners talking PL football and tried to get JCH in the summer. I think Collins would be impossible to get.

• Sponsored links:

• Gillesphey would be an interesting signing, we'd either be going three at the back or one of Hector or Jones would be making way. 

Either way (and assuming Dobson doesn't suffer a sudden bout of transferitis) any combination of Gillesphey/Hector/Jones behind a pairing of Coventry and Dobson should on paper be much less porous than our current sieve, and hopefully Coventry will live up to the "box to box" hype.
  • If we can’t get Nelson Abbey I’d love it if we’re taking a look at Holmes instead.

23 years old but already 117 appearances for Reading, most of which have come at a higher level than League One. 

He broke into the first team for the 2020-21 season where he made 39 appearances as Reading finished 7th.

Already club captain/vice-captain at a fairly young age too so has the leadership qualities.
    I'd be surprised if we were not at least keeping tabs on him but I think there'd be a lot of competition. Certainly not one I'd be confident of completing though I'd love to be wrong.
  • thenewbie said:
    Gillesphey would be an interesting signing, we'd either be going three at the back or one of Hector or Jones would be making way. 

Either way (and assuming Dobson doesn't suffer a sudden bout of transferitis) any combination of Gillesphey/Hector/Jones behind a pairing of Coventry and Dobson should on paper be much less porous than our current sieve, and hopefully Coventry will live up to the "box to box" hype.
    You need 3 decent centre backs so makes a lot of sense. Ness isn't in the picture so those 3 plus Thomas as 4th is decent enough IMO for now. Then will need another quality one in the summer. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Gillesphey would be an interesting signing, we'd either be going three at the back or one of Hector or Jones would be making way. 

You need 3 decent centre backs so makes a lot of sense. Ness isn't in the picture so those 3 plus Thomas as 4th is decent enough IMO for now. Then will need another quality one in the summer. 
    Hopefully Thomas might be off in this window.
  • ButtleJR said:

It's too much of course... But in context, he is free in the summer So will be weighing up how much he can make by waiting and whether it is worth the risk...

A purchasing club paying Peterborough 500K now and then paying him £10K a week is not far off getting him free and paying him £15k pw I would imagine (depends on contract length of course)

It is all a game of brinkmanship. 
  • Seeing as Gillesphey seems imminent based on social media, I thought I'd have a look at how he did in the last two seasons for Plymouth at League 1 level. 

21/22 season: 

He sat at rank 100th on whoscored, seems to be the 8th highest ranked Plymouth player for that season.

36 appearances, 4 as a substitute, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 yellow card (surprising) and no red cards. 

Averaged 0.3 fouls a game (fairly low for a defender) averaged 3.5 clearances a game, averaged 60 passes a game (almost seems too high), attempted 5 long balls a game on average and had a pass success of 73%. Was awarded man of the match on 2 occasions in the league. Average of 2.6 aerial duals won per game and an average match rating for the season of 6.82

22/23 season: 

He sat at rank 50th (funny coincidence) and was the 5th highest rated Argyle player in their promotion winning campaign. 

A total of 29 appearances, 6 as a sub, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 yellow and no red cards again. So he certainly sounds like a consistent player if anything on the pitch. 

An average of 0.5 fouls a game, 2.9 average clearances, averaged almost 56 passes a game, with just over 5 long ball attempts per game and a pass success rating of 71.6%. Aerial dual success rate of 3.7 and an average match rating for the season of 6.93.

So all in all, sounds like he loves to have the ball at his feet, attempts a healthy amount of long balls, doesn't sound like the type of defender to get stuck in based on his disciplinary record. 

Not sure what to make of it. Biggest two concerns are only 65 games started out of a possible 92 and the groin injury. It doesn't sound like he's a player we can depend on week in week out but when he is free, sounds very dependable.

Imagine we need a couple of centre backs as well as him, assuming Hector goes, and Thomas
     Notably, in their last 11 games of last season Plymouth won 9. The two they lost were the only two where Gillesphey did not feature. 
    Sounds like our relationship with Chuks, when he's there great, when he's there, not so much. 

I like the sound of him, but based on anything you can see online and their fans views, he's best suited in a back 5 or left side of the 3 centre backs. Doesn't sound like he would be as comfortable with just the pairing 
  • kentred2 said:
    NabySarr said:
    The smart thing to do if CBT leaves is to switch to 3-5-2. 

Unfortunately we have Appleton and Scott so will instead just play 4-3-3 with May and the Campbells as wide options, we might sign another winger but let’s be honest we are unlikely to find one as good as CBT so it’s not going to improve us 
    4 3 3 good if the wide two work hard and get back to support midfield eg Foden and Grealish don’t stand watching! 
    Or you have a really solid midfield 3 behind them  that can provide the defensive cover.

The Klopp side that won the title had Mane and Salah as the wide attackers, neither of whom are exactly known for their defensive work, and Trent bombing on from RB, but had a really solid, indeed slightly boring, midfield 3 to do the donkey work.