Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    The smart thing to do if CBT leaves is to switch to 3-5-2. 

Unfortunately we have Appleton and Scott so will instead just play 4-3-3 with May and the Campbells as wide options, we might sign another winger but let’s be honest we are unlikely to find one as good as CBT so it’s not going to improve us 
    4 3 3 good if the wide two work hard and get back to support midfield eg Foden and Grealish don’t stand watching! 
  • I think it's time to stop thinking about this window in the context of this season and think longer term (plus some good loans). 

We want the kind of window that we look back at this time next year and say "some really important building blocks for a genuine promotion push were put in place then".
    Looks like they've listened to what I said a month ago
    We have you to thank @cantersaddick :)
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Steven81 said:
    It's a good salary Dubai but when you've put blood sweat and tears into the shirt over the last few years and shirkers like Kirk are on alot more plus injured players and newly arriving players of course you will want close to parity it's the same for any worker.
    I get it from Dobbo point of view, but the club will not pay over the odds now.. We now have a number of good midfielders at the club, and a few that can grow in to the same role that Dobson plays.. He has been offered a good deal, and the club will not offer silly deals like they did in the past to get deals over the line..

I get that. But I strongly suspect the club just announced a player on higher wages than what Dobson is being offered (if what’s being suggested is true) in the same position. So that tells Dobson exactly where they see him in the pecking order for the period ahead. If he can get better elsewhere, he’ll be gone and I don’t really blame him. 
    Totally. No idea about the financial heft of these new boys, but on the face of it, I am sure if they saw Dobson as a big part of their plans moving forwards they would/could pay the wages. 

Though as ever there’s no point in really having any firm opinions either way on this until the end of the window and we can look at the transfer activity as a whole. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Steven81 said:
    It's a good salary Dubai but when you've put blood sweat and tears into the shirt over the last few years and shirkers like Kirk are on alot more plus injured players and newly arriving players of course you will want close to parity it's the same for any worker.
    I get it from Dobbo point of view, but the club will not pay over the odds now.. We now have a number of good midfielders at the club, and a few that can grow in to the same role that Dobson plays.. He has been offered a good deal, and the club will not offer silly deals like they did in the past to get deals over the line..

I get that. But I strongly suspect the club just announced a player on higher wages than what Dobson is being offered (if what’s being suggested is true) in the same position. So that tells Dobson exactly where they see him in the pecking order for the period ahead. If he can get better elsewhere, he’ll be gone and I don’t really blame him. 
     But he has to be a bit careful here. He's been good in our eyes because of the dross elsewhere in the squad. Are other clubs as interested? I'm not so sure.
    For once we actually hold the aces here I think. We've made him an offer. Hes got a year left but not a lot of interest and I doubt he would get anywhere near what we've offered him now even if there is interest because of the transfer fee that would also have to be stumped up.

So he can wait. But will his stock still be as high at the end of the season if his performance levels drop and he is even maybe struggling to get a starting berth?
  • Scoham said:
    Unfortunately Coventry will cost £15m.

Quite cheap for a whole city 
    You sure about that?
    Have you seen it?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:
    Depending on the CBT situation we need 1, maybe 2 wingers still, a striker and another left back. Keeper wise I think to truly compete at the top we need better but it's low on the list for January IMO unless someone absolutely mustard is available
    Unless we are planning on moving to a 352 in which case wingers aren't really necessary and a young player like Tyreece and a versatile player like Chem are enough options out wide if we want/need to change it up within games.
    I think you might be on the money, especially if we want to keep all our strikers happy if all fully fit
    Does mean full back/wing back should become a priority
    I think they will look to bring another wing back and another CB as well.

Noise is now, they are planning for life without CBT and Dobbo, but they won't let them go on the cheap this month, they have figure they want, and they don't have to sell, and both players are happy to stay till the end of the season. Charlton are in a strong position with them both!

The issue is, they both know the figure Chuks is on, and want the same.. Which isn't going to happen. Both deals they have been offered would take them to among the highest paid players in league One.. That tells you how much Chuks is on, and why they can't move him on easily. 
    I got told Chuks was on 7k, in comparison its higher than the majority of our team, but lower than a lot of others in the division. Brannagan at Oxford for example is on 8k, some of readings are still on 10k+. I don't think George is being unreasonable, he is without doubt our most consistent player
    I would say he is on more than that, Brum increased his salary a lot when he left us the first time around, then we offered more again when he come back.. The figure you have mentioned that Chuks is on, is close to what Dobbo been offered. 
    That figure came from a former employee that dealt with it at the time, about 4 weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• TEL said:
    Are we suggesting that Dobbo is currently on £2500-3000 a week when we are paying Fraser something in the region of £7k? 

(The stated 70% increase )

I'd be pissed off if I was Dobbo if true. 
    Yes dobbo is on 2.5/3k but fraser is only on 4k, not 7
  • @CAFCDAZ - would you say the top 1% earners in L1 is probably the same as the very best academy boys at premier league clubs. For example, Rak-Sakyi & the top L1 players are on a similar wage?
    No some are on considerably more. Tedic for example was on 15k, we were paying in the region of 5/7 of that. Gallagher was also on 15k, we were paying 3k, Chelsea wanted us to pay 5k, southall said fuck off you greedy so and so hence him being recalled and sent to Swansea, who paid them 8k
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Steven81 said:

100% agree with this, and I certainly don’t blame him. My point is, I don’t think he will get a better deal financially else where. 
  • jondon76 said:
    If we don't get CBT signed up or a replacement we're back to square one imo.
    this with bells on
  • Redhenry said:
    I think it's time to stop thinking about this window in the context of this season and think longer term (plus some good loans). 

We want the kind of window that we look back at this time next year and say "some really important building blocks for a genuine promotion push were put in place then".
    Looks like they've listened to what I said a month ago
    We have you to thank @cantersaddick :)
    Happy to be of assistance. I usually charge for my nuggets of wisdom but occasionally drop one on here for free just for old times sake.
  • Funny balance to have signed 3 CMs in the Jan window. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Steven81 said:

I thought we had offered JCH 10k a week?
  • MA talks about hopefully signing 2-3 more this window right at the end of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Steven81 said:
    Coupled with you can bet your life that Coventry will be trousering 10k a week upwards.
    Dobson has been our stand out player and without him we'd be in more s*** than we already are.
    You keep your best players.
    Dobson has no interest in him ATM. If I was him, I would take the deal that has been offered.. It is big increase. But he may also be worried about playing time, especially with the club showing ambition. 
    All very well saying a big increase, but that depends on what he is on atm.
    The increase may still mean his salary is not good enough compared to others.
    I would say, if he really wants to stay, sign the deal.. It is a good deal for him! And pretty sure he will not get the same at any other club! 

He has no interest, from any championship clubs, or top league one clubs.. Only enquiry he has had was from Wrexham.. So that tells you all you need to know!!
    So no interest from top league one, suggests interest from elsewhere league one.
    Maybe.. but know one is going to pay him what he has been offered.. And clubs that a lot smaller and lower level than Charlton! Grass isn't always greener
    If bigger, greener grass turns up for him in this window then I imagine he'll be off.
    If it doesn't then he has the choice to take our offer now or wait until the summer and see how green the grass is then and hope our offer is still on the table......... tough choice for him just on the numbers and risk, never mind game time in the future which I assume means add-on £ for being on the grass.
    Then there'd be all the personal upheaval of moving to wherever if he does choose to go.
    He's been great for us, if he stays he's someone we can always rely on, if he goes I hope it all works out the way he wants and expects. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    Heard from posh side that JCH wanted 15k a week hence the talks breaking down. Not sure where we're at with it at present. 
    Must be because of cost of living crisis and all that…

mental salary in league 1
  • ButtleJR said:
    Heard from posh side that JCH wanted 15k a week hence the talks breaking down. Not sure where we're at with it at present. 
    What a joker. Next.
  • £15k way too much. 

Time to move onto the next target.
  • We haven’t got too many midfielders, I just wanted that to be out there before it’s said.  Our midfield is shite, it’s weaker than the defence (IMO).  But the defence takes all the criticism.  

Any midfielder we sign who’s better than what we’ve got is very much welcomed.  
    We definitely do have too many midfielders. Not saying I disagree on quality, but half our squad will be CMs if we sign Coventry. 
    I’m not counting the shite I’m only counting the ones good enough for a genuine challenge at promotion.  
    we've got a squad of about 7 then