Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 11th November 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oh Dobbo. That had 2-3 written all over it 🙁. 
    Bad touch from him, let the ball get too far from him.
  • Options
    Great game, however we felt we were a bit toothless going forward. Happily take the point, great away day. Tayo edun looked class.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    SDAddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    AndyG said:
    limeygent said:
    Thought Pompey were nowhere near as good as Bolton.
    I agree mate Bolton for me are by far the best team this year and I’m sure they will win the league. 

Was far more impressed with Bolton than Pompey , a few decent players like Lane and Robertson but Bolton looked a cut above. 
    That might be because we're always awful against Bolton and always good against Pompey though...

I do agree that Bolton looked the best, but Pompey without Poole, Pack, and Anjorin are a different proposition than when those three are fit.

It feels like ages ago but Oxford looked like they were just toying with us for 60 minutes in that game. They look really good.

I think it'll be those three at the top and everyone else playing for three playoff spots 

Poole out for the season for them is going to be a big blow. Oxford it will be interesting to see how they replace Manning 
    Yes who OUFC get in will be massive. The way Manning wants his teams to play is still not very common at this level, so they might have to get creative in finding a replacement to match their style. 
  • Options
    AMB is easy MOM
    CBT - shocking today, not interested. 
    Dobbo - same old Dobbo 
    May - worked his socks off. 
    Perhaps CBT thinks if I'm not good enough to play against Cray then I'm not good enough to play against the League leaders.....and was giving Appleton the finger.

Or maybe he was a bit rusty not having played last week. 

Maybe that's what happens when you rest players we you dont need to. 
  • Options
    Fantastic atmosphere ….you’ll never beat Charlton 
  • Options
    The match thread was heart-in-mouth reading. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    ct_addick said:
    For all you naysayers who have given McGrandle a torrid time….that celebration is what you get….
    ct, so many times on here I have wanted a player to ram it back down a posters throat. Today when McGrandles scored seconds after being accused by DDOUBLEE and Golfie of being shit, when neither of them had seen him play for any length of time, I danced around the room. 
    I never said he was shit when he was about to come on. I was merely pointing out that I thought Appleton had thrown last Sunday's starting 11 under the bus by saying he now knows who he can trust (or words to that effect). 

But someone then said Appleton actually praised McGrandles last Sunday. 

Just because I make a comment about a player or a situation doesn't mean I'm slagging them off. A lot of the time I'm pointing out inconsistencies in what a manager says to what he does.
  • Options
    How many has May now scored on the trot & is he approaching a club record ? 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/13005836/portsmouth-2-2-charlton-athletic-league-one-highlights

First goal, how does May score that? Second goal, how does the keeper not save that?
  • Options
    McGrandles celebration was a bit muted wasnt it. Go mad fella!
  • Options
    Six games on the trot in just the League for Alfie now
  • Options
    Isn’t 6 the record. I sort of remember that from when Hales scored in six games. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oh Dobbo. That had 2-3 written all over it 🙁. 
    Bad touch from him, let the ball get too far from him.
    I think he was knackered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I’m not sure about club records mate but honestly when was the last time we had a player that puts that much effort into every game ? The ground he covers is unbelievable and yet somehow if he stays fit he will get 20+ goals this season. All this for £250k it must be the best transfer for years ! I still can’t believe we got him for that. Also he is the type of player that I can see still going strong at 34/35 what a ridiculous bargain 
    But, but Gillingham were laughing at us for overpaying. 
  • Options
    Fair result. Probably the most consistent game of football I've seen in League one. Both sides looked great in attack at times while looking shakey at the back, our usual defensive lapses and their very risky playing out from the back kept it open and us always in with a chance.

AMB despite his cock up for their pen is still man of the match for me, as, simply, he made 4 or 5 key saves to keep us in it, CBT and TC were largely ineffective with  Leaburn looking more like he wanted to battle the defenders rather than play his football, but credit, we kept going until the end and got a well earned point out of it. 

Special mention to the ref who was a bog standard 5, missed some big decesions, some people will point to our blatant missed handball as being robbed of 3 points but the same useless ref missed a massive shout for Portsmouth's own handball pen against T. Watson in the first half, he gets that and its 2-0 going in and a big psychological mountain to climb.

Oh and, Connor McGoals, had no right to score that header but thank f he did! Keep him match fit and lets see what hes all about.

Good game!
  • Options
    Just seen our second equaliser. Dear oh dear, that’s soft!
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    ct_addick said:
    For all you naysayers who have given McGrandle a torrid time….that celebration is what you get….
    ct, so many times on here I have wanted a player to ram it back down a posters throat. Today when McGrandles scored seconds after being accused by DDOUBLEE and Golfie of being shit, when neither of them had seen him play for any length of time, I danced around the room. 
    Are they proper Charlton and travelled away or watching on their laptop! 
    Fuck me. Can you just clarify what proper Charlton is please? I mean I didn’t really follow the game at all this afternoon but I was at Middlesbrough for an evening game in 1985 or some such when there were about 87 of us? So which defines me as proper Charlton please? 
  • Options

Where’s someone called Smith when you need him?
  • Options
    Just to put a small downer on it because Charlton, question RE May, where would we be if we'd have bought Stockton or Sam Smith or whoever else we were after instead, and second to that, what will we do if he gets injured because right now he seems to pop up with these goals out of nowhere and it's the sort of goals that change the flow of the game back in our favour.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    ct_addick said:
    Are they proper Charlton and travelled away or watching on their laptop! 
    Fuck me. Can you just clarify what proper Charlton is please? I mean I didn’t really follow the game at all this afternoon but I was at Middlesbrough for an evening game in 1985 or some such when there were about 87 of us? So which defines me as proper Charlton please? 
    If you went up there by 🚆 would confirm it.