Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 11th November 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• edited November 2023
    Having slept on it, what I am most pleased about is the fight in the team. Ignoring the quality in the side, we have had a soft underbelly for some time but we can see that we also have the sort of players that stand up to be counted and a manager who is intent on increasing their numbers. 
  • Josh Friedman is going to buy every Manchester City player and transfer them to Charlton in January.
  • edited November 2023
    Chunes said:
    Thought Portsmouth looked more impressive than they ever did under the awful Cowleys. They create bundles of chances and play high tempo football. Their right winger Paddy Lane looks like a good player as well. 

Don't think we've had a 90-minute performance under Micky Apples yet but he's got us in the good habit of regularly picking up points, whereas in previous seasons it felt like we'd either go on losing runs or winning runs.

He also seems to be bigging up the January window in every interview, so he's either been told there's investment and big changes coming in, or he's putting pressure on Scott to deliver. 
    I think he knows the players he wants to ship out and the type he wants to replace them with but as we know, it isn't always as easy as that. Also, I am hoping we play our best team against Cray in the cup. There is a break over the weekend and a good performance on TV will only build confidence.
  • Four points from three tough games shows a measure of progress in my eyes. The best I would have hoped for against Bolton, Wigan and Pompey was a point from each game. If McGrandles can stay fit that is a massive bonus as he gives us something else in midfield, With Camara, Chuks and Taylor long term injuries, the January transfer window will be interesting, CBT and Dobson might go and we need to get some quality in, that is going to be tough. 
  • edited November 2023
    kafka said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Norris was the keeper that got lobbed last season from 40 yards when he was at Peterborough by Alfie May. Very surprised he's at a promotion chasing club because he's always looked a bit suspect. 
    Remember this is the club th at voted McGilveray player of the year
    It was justice after seeing his antics and the useless ref having words with May, failing to get a grip on cheating. Another takeaway is two crucial slips. Campbell and Dobbo at the end with his poor touch. Not criticising the players but 9 times out of 10 they result in goals and the late one would have won the game for us. Pompey were good but so were we and a draw was the fair result.
  • The number 10 role seems to suit May. I think opponents look at our attacking players and know they have to stop them but it is hard to stop them all and May's role IMO makes it harder to mark him out of the game. I wouldn't contemplate moving him back to centre forward unless forced to if I was Appleton. Being top scorer in the League says it all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Norris lost focus for the second after his dreadful play acting. Thought we kept going when the game turned against us, in recent years we would have folded. 
    But once again a great day out. I hope Pompey don’t go up as I would really miss the away day.
  • Norris lost focus for the second after his dreadful play acting. Thought we kept going when the game turned against us, in recent years we would have folded. 
    But once again a great day out. I hope Pompey don’t go up as I would really miss the away day.
    Whereas I hope they do go up with us 
  • Chunes said:
    Thought Portsmouth looked more impressive than they ever did under the awful Cowleys. They create bundles of chances and play high tempo football. Their right winger Paddy Lane looks like a good player as well. 

Don't think we've had a 90-minute performance under Micky Apples yet but he's got us in the good habit of regularly picking up points, whereas in previous seasons it felt like we'd either go on losing runs or winning runs.

He also seems to be bigging up the January window in every interview, so he's either been told there's investment and big changes coming in, or he's putting pressure on Scott to deliver. 
    We have 3 loan players who have barely played, plus another with a significant injury. If we can somehow upgrade them, that could make a difference even without making big signings.
  • edited November 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Norris was the keeper that got lobbed last season from 40 yards when he was at Peterborough by Alfie May. Very surprised he's at a promotion chasing club because he's always looked a bit suspect. 
    Yeah I did wonder how they had conceded so few (10 in 15) with him in goal.

But having seen their centre back pairing for most of yesterday’s game (ignoring that crazy lapse in the last minute that almost let Dobson in), knowing that they were also missing supposedly their best centre back through injury, it made a lot more sense.

Portsmouth needed a new goalkeeper in the summer and Norris has a reputation for being very comfortable with the ball at his feet. I suppose they decided a less secure shot stopper was worth taking to get someone who could help keep possession and build attacks from the back.

It cost them yesterday but there’ll have been instances where it won them points on other days.
  • Sat in the home end with some Pompey mates and basically spent the day as a "Pompey Fan" and I've got to say I'm envious of their fan base and set up down there. Packed out ground, loads of noise and a real buzz around the place. Being top of the league helps I just feel we are missing that at the moment. 
  • Would have happily taken a draw at Fratton Park so very pleased.

Think MA has come in and is changing the mindset bit by bit ( bar Cray) and these players will keep going and going until the full time whistle. Haven't seen that for a very long time by a Charlton team.
    but that wasn’t these players .. don’t know why are so stuck in CV .. 11 changes 3 who had not kicked a ball in months 25 shots to 1 .. it’s called a cup tie these things happen…. Would people really swap the 4 points at Wigan and Pompey for a win v Cray Valley 
  • Chunes said:

We know there money available there was in the summer 
  • edited November 2023
    Chunes said:

Pray tell...what are you talking about...🤔
    "We" know naff all really...

• agim said:
    Sat in the home end with some Pompey mates and basically spent the day as a "Pompey Fan" and I've got to say I'm envious of their fan base and set up down there. Packed out ground, loads of noise and a real buzz around the place. Being top of the league helps I just feel we are missing that at the moment. 
    I assume you sat quietly when we equalised in stoppage time. Must have been hard!
  • Sponsored links:

• agim said:
    Sat in the home end with some Pompey mates and basically spent the day as a "Pompey Fan" and I've got to say I'm envious of their fan base and set up down there. Packed out ground, loads of noise and a real buzz around the place. Being top of the league helps I just feel we are missing that at the moment. 
    I assume you sat quietly when we equalised in stoppage time. Must have been hard!
    To be honest I was openly talking to Pompey fans saying I was charlton because I was there with mates but didn't celebrate as that's taking the piss. Yes it was hard
  • edited November 2023
    Few words from me today after a nervy, action packed, fantastic day in Portsmouth.

As we exited the ground, @Joesdad asked me if the Tingle had been resurrected following that performance.

I responded, stating I was experiencing a tsunami of tingles...

Honestly don't have the energy to post further thoughts today.

Feel like a wrung out wet Fanny- oops, meant wet flannel !  B)
    Ooooh, I love it when you talk dirty.....😉
  • The game was a great advert for the league. It was end to end exciting and either team could have won it.
  • Chunes said:

Didn't you tell us over the summer the players they bought wernt good enough for us?
  • Really enjoyed watching that. And I don't say that very often  in the context of Charlton and football. 

Our best performance of the season to date. 

Jones was magnificent and May a talisman.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Best football day out for ages.Great performance from the boys after the start which had me screaming at the players to talk to each other. Lost my voice in the end. COYRs
  • agim said:
    Recall sitting next to a season ticket holder in the home end at Blackburn in the FA Cup up 4th round when we beat them 1-0 to go through. I leapt up and just as quick my dad put his hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down, as the local faces all turned and looked at me. It was like the scene in American Werewolf in London, when they enter the Slaughtered Lamb pub.

So hard to resist celebrating a significant  late goal. 
    After leaping up, I suppose you could have shouted out "For f*cks sake, you wankers" in your best Lancashire accent, to disguise which team you were supporting  :D