Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 11th November 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

14567810»

Comments

• Right at the end at 2-2 who turns up in an unusually advanced position hoping we could win it? Dobbo. 
    Just like his desire to get forward and win us that point in the 4-4 Ipswich.
    So it didn’t work out, but it was a positive bit of play from Dobbo. Of course we all wanted a magical ending, but that is how it goes. I’m voting in the ‘good on yer’ box for Dobbo on this occasion.
  • @ross1

Here’s that Dobson moment from the end of the game. I clipped it from the full match replay…

https://streamable.com/nv4yct

Thank you Callumcafc
  • edited November 2023
    I think with CBT it could simply be abut the defender/s he is playing against. He is more effective pushing the ball past a defender and beating them to it and many full backs at ths level can't deal with that. A few can, especially when a team doubles up on him  and that means his main weapon is blunted. 

It does mean there is a question mark against him at a higher level where the standard of defending and indeed the attributes of defenders improves. We have to work out a way to counter this better but maybe it is something to do after he signs a new contract. I am happy for Championship clubs to have that question mark.

However, I have always thought that if we have a player that opponents feel the need to double up on, surely that is a good thing even if they succeed in keeping him quiet as it should help our other players find more time and space and that is the other coaching/tactical thing we could possibly improve on. He ought to be a cheat code tonight though and I think we should play him.