Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 11th November 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Tennai has been so much better these last two games, against Wigan and Portsmouth - He's almost beginning to find his feet now... After all he's only played ten games this season.

With no Pre-Season, which wasn't necessarily his fault.
  • Options
    "Hector did his traditional completely miss the ball across the box trick and nearly handed them a goal."

:smile:

• Options
    Tennai has been so much better these last two games, against Wigan and Portsmouth - He's almost beginning to find his feet now... After all he's only played ten games this season.

With no Pre-Season, which wasn't necessarily his fault.
    Just goes to show - its another example of how some fans leap to conclusions about players based on very limited first impressions and never account for improvement or fitness.

It can go the other way too of course - Tedic and C Campbell both appear to have started quite well but dropped down the list for various reasons.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Some people shitting on McGrandles for no reason here. That was a well aimed header.
    Both goals were well taken BUT if it were a Charlton keeper letting two in at the near post like that he'd get an absolute mauling on here. Once is bad luck but twice is poor, for all the goals were aimed well.
    Both were low and right by the post. The header probably the better finish if I'm honest. 

P s I'm not a McGrandles fan. 
  • Options
    Just back from Portsmouth after an enjoyable break. I was at the game and make no mistake Portsmouth are a quality side in front of a passionate crowd in a proper ground. To get a point and play the way Charlton did was exceptional and maybe if CBT had turned up we may have won the game but he was abysmal such a shame from a talented player. But sometimes he can’t be bothered and probably needs to go in January. Let’s hope we don’t loose dobbo but I’m afraid he may go as he will go for free in June. But we’ll done it was a great game 
  • Options
    Both goals were poor keeping but also showed the value of getting your attempts on target. It's something we have suffered with in the past, with often 0 attempts on target in 90 mins.
  • Options
    Brown59 said:
    Just back from Portsmouth after an enjoyable break. I was at the game and make no mistake Portsmouth are a quality side in front of a passionate crowd in a proper ground. To get a point and play the way Charlton did was exceptional and maybe if CBT had turned up we may have won the game but he was abysmal such a shame from a talented player. But sometimes he can’t be bothered and probably needs to go in January. Let’s hope we don’t loose dobbo but I’m afraid he may go as he will go for free in June. But we’ll done it was a great game 
    I can only remember him receiving the ball a couple of times. They did a good job of keeping him out of the game and we did a pretty bad job of getting him into it. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    Hear what you are saying Braziliance and on the surface we don't look good or organised in several positions, but is it just a case of shipping out and shipping in replacements, I'm not convinced, and the problem could  lie on the training ground and the people involved in training these apparent failures....
    Agreed we need support for Alfie, but the rest...not so sure, but agree some experience is needed to be instilled into the squad...
    Yeah I am not sure if we will, more hoping so, I think we have a fair few players that are high end of this league, but to get promoted we just need a bit more qualify, right now I see us finishing anywhere between 5th to 10th. Peterborough are exceeding my expectations, so are Stevenage massively and I have to be honest and say I didn't expect Oxford to be doing so well. Had Bolton, Derby and Portsmouth nailed on for top6 with Barnsley also likely. 

Right now I'd say the top3 probably won't change (as in wont drop out of the top6) so we are fighting it out with a minimum of 5 sides for 3 slots, maybe 2. Going to be tough.
    So, if you say that Peterborough, Stevenage, and Oxford are exceeding expectations, which I agree with you on, is this because they have better players on paper than us, i'm not so sure on that one, or is it the infrastructure at the club, and the way the training regime is set up that just gets the best out of these players,....i'd say it is probably the latter.
    I think Peterborough and Oxford both have a handful of players that walk into our starting XI tbh, but I've always thought they both recruit well. It was more so how bad Oxford did last season and how bad Peterborough choked the play offs, thought they'd both have a bit of a hangover. Oxford for instance have the best player in the league in Cameron Brannagan imo, amazed they have kept him so long. I'd also rate Clarke-Harris the best striker in the league after May and only Bishop is of a similar level (think Devante Cole isn't quite on the level of those 3.

Stevenage not as much, deffo a few players I wouldn't mind. Mainly Piergianni and Jamie Reid who are both having great seasons so far. 

Recruitment is definitely something we need to really work on as clubs like Peterborough and Oxford without being rude, just talking historically, shouldn't be bogey sides to us and without sounding even more arrogant shouldn't have players who walk into our team. 

Of course this is just all my perception, maybe too many highlights and football manager for me.
    Brannagan’s midfield partner McGuane is another I’d have over any of our midfielders. Oxford have the best midfield in the league. Fully fit, ours is still up there as one of the best of the rest especially with depth, but without Camara and Taylor it is probably lacking a bit now.  

I still think we have a top 6 squad though. Outside of the current top 4 I think you could only maybe argue Barnsley and Derby would have better squads than us so I’d put us around 5th-7th best squad in the league. But even with that, I don’t think Pompey or Bolton have particularly better players than us, just better coached/recruited for a style and a manager that has had a bit longer to implement it than ours has 
    Yeah another very decent player and one we should have been aware of being a local lad, ah well. I'd say our midfield is pretty decent, still think the squad as a whole is just shy of play off material but fortunately we have some very good players amongst it all. 

Just seen this video on twitter and it highlights my concerns, Robertson had far too much time on the ball and he isn't the first midfielder to do it to us.

Why is May closing down in that kind of space, how is he turning into so much space. One of the big concerns is how Dobbo is left twice and doesn't really recover, bit reckless. Not trying to be too critical but this has been a theme the past few seasons, some teams just look too relaxed in the middle. Luckily a big difference we have now is that May doesn't stop pressing from the front. 

Really hoping to see Dobson and Watson dominate the midfield in these next 3 games or so against 'lesser' opposition. Very curious to see how Owen Moxon fairs against us as he gets rave reviews and Carlisle fans think he could be playing the level above.
    That is the problem with playing him there, he’s got to do that defensive side. He is great at closing down from the front when we don’t have the ball, but if we are sat behind the ball he’s not going to know where he should be because he’s not a midfielder. Appleton realised this though and that’s why we changed to 3 actual midfielders later in the second half and there’s then a lot less clips from that period of the game as we had more control ourselves and it was less easy for Robertson and Pompey to play through us. 

I think Appleton has probably learned from Saturday that in some games you can get away with May in the 10, in most homes games and against weaker sides away. But in the tougher games I think we will see him out on the right wing from now on, with 3 actual midfielders on the pitch in a 4-3-3 like we finished on Saturday 
    As another CAFC fan highlighted on twitter as well, surely May can't keep up those work rates for much longer without an injury.

30 games to go still minimum and if he's pressing like that I can see him breaking down, our midfielders need to be more active in the middle.

As you say I think 433 will be more frequent as the two midfielders seems to be a bit iffy as no one is complete enough. 3 midfielders may suit us for the time being and Alf seems to pop up with goals wherever he plays up top
    Last 3 seasons, May played 39, 46 and 44 games. 
    He may have but I have no idea if he played as he is doing so now. Just be surprised if he can do what he's doing for the rest of the season, incredible endurance 
  • Options
    Think picking out a few clips of the best midfielder we’ve played against this season (perhaps McGuane aside) and using it as a reason to say ours aren’t up to it is a bit harsh.

Both Robertson and McGuane are Championship ready IMO. Pompey fans saying they’ll be surprised if Robertson isn’t a Premier League player in 2-3 years and I believe them based on Saturday. I was seriously impressed. Dobson, Watson et al will never play at that level, unfortunately.

I do understand the general concerns though. I’ve tried to bring it up a few times with Dobson especially who seems to get dragged towards the ball more often than he should, when holding his position could often serve the team better.
    It may sound harsh but I am just calling it how I see it. I am not disputing we have good midfielders but up against the bigger teams we do struggle to contain the game and we haven't made up for it in past season against the smaller clubs. 

He does get dragged too often and puts in reckless challenges, great when he pulls it off but we give away a fair few chances because of it. It's the only side of his game I haven't seen him improve on so far, he's been genuinely brilliant otherwise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems a growing trend to say our goals were down to the keeper being naff, sure Alfie and Connor would not agree, nor do I, they were both well taken and directed goals, the fact the keeper never got to them was down to clever finishes on both parts, why don't we just appreciate that...🤷‍♂️
    I'm certainly not downplaying the quality of the finishes, they were both very well taken for sure. All I'm saying is that once a keeper gets beaten by a shot at the near post once you'd expect him to be more aware the second time around.... well, I would anyway.

Like I say, both were really good goals and ( probably) would have beaten most L1 keepers. But twice in one game doesn't reflect well, fairly or not.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I believe they missed the one that he tipped onto the bar. Maybe the best of the lot. He definitely kept us in the game when we were under a bit of pressure.
    This one was on the highlights. 
    We were obviously up the other end, but I thought AMB's best save was from Bishop's point blank header - it looked a tremendous reaction save with his left hand. I'm sure that one didn't feature on the highlights for some reason.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    It was thrown from the left of the away end (the right as you look on tv etc) looked like a vape to me, ridiculous thing to do. 
    There were at least 4 objects thrown at the keeper, pretty sure the others were kicked off by Pompey players except the one that the ref took to the fourth official.

They all looked like vapes and came from more central behind the goal.

Also at full time a full drink bottle was lobbed at the pitch and narrowly missed a ballboy. I don't think many saw that.

Hopefully picked up on CCTV and the bell ends can be sorted out.
  • Options
    Seems a growing trend to say our goals were down to the keeper being naff, sure Alfie and Connor would not agree, nor do I, they were both well taken and directed goals, the fact the keeper never got to them was down to clever finishes on both parts, why don't we just appreciate that...🤷‍♂️
    Keeper had a shocker particularly for McGrandles goal, blissful ignorance from you i'm afraid. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Blucher said:
    Rob said:
    I believe they missed the one that he tipped onto the bar. Maybe the best of the lot. He definitely kept us in the game when we were under a bit of pressure.
    We were obviously up the other end, but I thought AMB's best save was from Bishop's point blank header - it looked a tremendous reaction save with his left hand. I'm sure that one didn't feature on the highlights for some reason.
    It's on here @ 25 seconds, outstanding save.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/13005836/portsmouth-2-2-charlton-athletic-league-one-highlights
  • Options
    Not at all defending fans throwing things, it is moronic but I am sure their keeper spending most of the second half provoking our fans and his even for a professional footballer pathetic antics will not get a mention in any fall out from it, funny how he seemed to stop gleefully looking back at us after our second goal. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    Not at all defending fans throwing things, it is moronic but I am sure their keeper spending most of the second half provoking our fans and his even for a professional footballer pathetic antics will not get a mention in any fall out from it, funny how he seemed to stop gleefully looking back at us after our second goal. 
    You’re right it won’t but it shouldn’t really come into it. I was going apeshit at the cheating git, as were a couple of thousand others, but pretty sure if I owned a vape I’d have managed to keep it in my pocket.

it’s a shame his theatrics weren’t shown on the highlights.
  • Options
    @ross1

Here’s that Dobson moment from the end of the game. I clipped it from the full match replay…

https://streamable.com/nv4yct

Painful watching that again...🙄
  • Options
    @ross1

Here’s that Dobson moment from the end of the game. I clipped it from the full match replay…

Thanks for sharing. At the time I thought it was a much clearer chance than it actually was. Also his loose touch was much further out than I thought..

Don’t suppose you could clip the keeper going down 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nowhere near as bad as I’d imagined from what people posted on here.
  • Options
    We only ever get a result because the opposition is shite or makes mistakes - When we lose, its only because we were shite or made mistakes.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    It's still gutting but not quite as bad as I remember. Watching it back a few times, I wish Leaburn had tried to make a run across the front of the defender to be available for a cross.

As it happened, he stayed back post and that pass was never really on for someone like Dobson in the 100th minute of a lung busting match. If Leaburn had got himself in front of the defender, Dobson would've had a simpler pass across the face of goal to his onrushing striker. Instead he felt he had to take another touch and get his head up, which is unfortunately the moment where it got away from him.

• Options
    Our strikers need to go near post more often in general. We have so many crosses cut out by the first defender, and certainly a lot more than ever make it to the man at the far post.
  • Options
    Cheers for doing that @Callumcafc

I still think he should have done a lot better. He’d had time to work out what he should do, but just kept running forward and then overrunning it. There was at least a clip to Leaburn or a pull back on offer 

This is where I think we lack that creativity, at tha stage of the game, Dobbo should be on the edge of the box/ready to take the ball. A player with a bit more flair would find a player there or even get in a position to shoot imo 

• Options
    edited November 2023
    @ross1

Painful watching that again...🙄
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Rob said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/13005836/portsmouth-2-2-charlton-athletic-league-one-highlights
    I was thinking of another point blank header which he saved to his left and which stayed in play, rather than going over the bar.
  • Options
    Our strikers need to go near post more often in general. We have so many crosses cut out by the first defender, and certainly a lot more than ever make it to the man at the far post.
    think this is actually a winger/midfielder system issue. Our wingers don’t seem to make the back post run and our midfielders are often a bit late to the box so our strikers take up the back post/penalty spot as that’s natural for them
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Blucher said:
    Rob said:

I was thinking of another point blank header which he saved to his left and which stayed in play, rather than going over the bar.
    Oh right