Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    I’m sick of 433 and 352 got us absolutely nowhere but waste money on sacking managers that have all failed to play it. Either get players that can play it or play something else. 
    If only we had wingers like Newton and Robinson again. Who done the job at both ends of the pitch. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:
    https://youtu.be/-qwTHWA0ljA?si=KBrw-LMXZPU0FEDU

For those interested the vlog, some really entertaining interviews with the Bolton fans imo 
    I was at the game, but honestly......look at Blackett Taylor in those second half clips....shameful.
    Surprised he's out of the firing line a bit for his performance, he offered little to nothing and was closed down easily. 

Hoping for a bit of a bounce back from him next game as he's blown cold twice now as much as I rate him.
    Came bottom in the players ratings.....so I think most saw the game as it was. Great Vlog mate....thanks for taking the time to do it. Telling also that Louie Watson got runner up player of the match.....I think Fraser needs to up his game big time.
    Ah that's my bad then, I was going by social media posts and general talk around the ground, people didn't seem happy with Campbells commitment but didn't see much question marks over CBT, I'll check out the match rating thread again.

Of course no worries I love doing it. I did notice some audio issues again which is frustrating as it didn't sound like that on my saved video so I'll need to figure out what's wrong with my mics inside the ground, feel like I'm saying this all the time though, proper trial and error haha 

Yeah Watson has to start, most complete midfielder we have at the club atm, early doors for Pan but he's not impressing me in his short appearances as much as I'd hope he would, would like to see him get a run in the side 
  • Options
    I wasn't at the game and have just watched the highlights. 

Even from a 2 min YouTube clip you can see Bolton are a cut above us, when's the last time we tried a corner routine like their first goal? I can't remember. That shows a team that's so comfortable and confident in the way they play that they have time on the training ground to practice things like that. 

Although there's controversy around the second goal we still don't do the basics like tracking runners and react first to the second ball. I remember Dion Charles playing against us for Accy a few years ago and thinking he looks a good prospect and still he's someone I'd like at the club but from the way Bolton are going he will be paying in The Championship next season!

I've got a horrible feeling Wigan will teach us another lesson on Tuesday night and with Pompey on the horizon it could be a long couple of weeks for us fans..
  • Options
    In the game very early on CBT attacked, beat his man, and put in a low cross. I think that was his only memorable attacking contribution in the whole game.
    Similarly, early on Fraser made a decent covering and tackling back move in front of the West stand near the tunnel. I think that was his only defensive contribution in the whole game.
    Passengers.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In the game very early on CBT attacked, beat his man, and put in a low cross. I think that was his only memorable attacking contribution in the whole game.
    Similarly, early on Fraser made a decent covering and tackling back move in front of the West stand near the tunnel. I think that was his only defensive contribution in the whole game.
    Passengers.
    The most concerning thing is the reluctance to provide any cover for the defence from Campbell and CBT - leaves our defenders very exposed.

No excuse for the poor defending for the first goal. The supporters seem more observant than the players at times.
  • Options
    Tyreece Campbell is crap
  • Options
    A lot of people digging out Tyreece for that performance and he was poor tbf. But we have to remember he's still a young man making his way. He'll learn from it and come back stronger hopefully.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    A lot of people digging out Tyreece for that performance and he was poor tbf. But we have to remember he's still a young man making his way. He'll learn from it and come back stronger hopefully.
    He has loads of potential and can only improve.
  • Options
    Campbell tracked back a lot more than Blackett-Taylor did but I think CBT not tracking back was more by design from Appleton rather than him just being lazy. 

Playing a 4-3-3 against a 3-5-2, if both of your wingers track their wing backs then May is left on his own, isolated against 3 centre backs. CBT was staying forward on their right sided centre back, probably what he had been told to do. 

I think this was a bad plan and with Thomas not being an actual left back, he probably needed more help than Tenai Watson did on the other side. And that was presumably why Dobson was played on the left instead of Fraser, to help out on the left, but then that means he’s charging out to the left hand side when we need him in the middle of the park. This made it too easy for Bolton to pull us apart by simply moving the ball around at a decent pace. It was a poor defensive set up 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    he needs a loan in League 2
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    CRAP...is a word far too overused, and just shows that maybe rethink prior to using..
    A player can have an off game, ie TC and CBT Saturday,...doesn't make them a crap player...just saying...🤷‍♂️

CRAP
    1. something of extremely poor quality
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    CRAP...is a word far too overused, and just shows that maybe rethink prior to using..
    A player can have an off game, ie TC and CBT Saturday,...doesn't make them a crap player...just saying...🤷‍♂️

CRAP
    1. something of extremely poor quality
    The Human Element in Football is massively ignored.

Notice Lincoln only managed a draw at a side we beat 4-1 on Saturday... Did Sorensen / Adelukan raise their game against Appleton because they wanted to prove he was wrong to drop them, and so rub his face in it? - Footballers aren't robots.
  • Options
    Appleton has to take most of the blame. Ridiculous set up against a very strong side. Really not sure about him. Anderson seriously hasn't done anything not to warrant a place in the squad. He even had Kirk on the subs bench for fucks sake! Tedic so far looks spite, and have you ever seen a softer midfield. Jones is the only defender who is half decent. If we don't get tougher and get the cheque book out in Jan, the we are royally fucked :(
  • Options
    Yeah. Kirk ahead of Anderson wasn’t even a shop window pick as he didn’t get on.
    No way is Kirk more effective than Karoy.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When he scored that banger against Reading, and passed that ball to Leaburn in the same game was he being crap?
    Was CBT being a passenger when he got three assists against Reading, and curled one into the top corner against Exeter?
    A player like CBT will never be as effective as that in every game of course. If he was he’d be playing in a higher league. 
    And Bolton negated him by double marking. One of the reasons that we improved so much in the second half was the fact that Leaburn, May and Watson were linking up so well in the middle that defenders were sucked in, leaving more space for Tupac and Cory to work in. 
    He’s had a very good season, but a couple of performances where he was quiet and we’re really on his case. It just seems a bit unnecessary. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    When he scored that banger against Reading, and passed that ball to Leaburn in the same game was he being crap?
    Was CBT being a passenger when he got three assists against Reading, and curled one into the top corner against Exeter?
    A player like CBT will never be as effective as that in every game of course. If he was he’d be playing in a higher league. 
    And Bolton negated him by double marking. One of the reasons that we improved so much in the second half was the fact that Leaburn, May and Watson were linking up so well in the middle that defenders were sucked in, leaving more space for Tupac and Cory to work in. 
    He’s had a very good season, but a couple of performances where he was quiet and we’re really on his case. It just seems a bit unnecessary. 
    CBT was a passenger for the last two games. Not because he is a poor player, or even had a poor season, but he had not been wrangled well for those last two games.
    It is not so much being on CBT’s case as Appletons.
  • Options
    CBT needs the team to work the ball into a situation where he is 1v1. When we move the ball too slowly, the opposition get 2 players across for him to beat which is usually too much to ask even of him. 

What CBT needs to do more is run in behind. He’s rapid, but he’s only effective with the ball played to his feet at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched the highlights:
    I get that we were trying to pull a goal back at 2-0 down, but Tenai Watson just ambled back, leaving Williams free for what should have been their third.
    I guess it was late on etc. but really…

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I get that we were trying to pull a goal back at 2-0 down, but Tenai Watson just ambled back, leaving Williams free for what should have been their third.

Ambling back never good but TW's capability as a defender doesn't often impede the opposition's attacking play 
  • Options
    CBT is - like all wingers - bound to have the odd poor game. It happens and goes with the territory unless you’re fortunate enough to have wide players like Robbo and Newton. We weren’t at the hunt on Saturday and their right wing back, Jones, had an excellent game, sticking to Corey like a limpet and giving him no room to turn and run at the defence. 

Tyreece Campbell was also below par on Saturday but he was better in the second half and is a player who will get better as he garners more experience.

Karoy Anderson is unlucky to be out of the side at present but, as with Asiimwe, I can understand Appleton not wanting to overplay these teenagers at this stage. I expect that Karoy will play next Sunday and, reading the latest injury update on the Official Website, Edun and McGrandles may also get some minutes off the bench.

I’d expect Louie Watson to start tomorrow night at Wigan after Fraser’s anaemic performance.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

He was clearly knackered at the end and not ready for a full 90 minutes. Should have put Asiimwe on for him instead of Thomas, or brought Ness on at right back 
  • Options
    @NabySarr Pretty sure Thomas was injured mate, if not he was definitely struggling. I reckon he could be 50/50 for tomorrow.

• Options
    TC was also absolutely knackered after 70 minutes. Why have Kirk on the bench if he's not an option? 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    TC was also absolutely knackered after 70 minutes. Why have Kirk on the bench if he's not an option? 
    Exactly. Reckon Appletons in for a hard time if he doesn't start using his head. Mind you it is Kirk we are talking about. :wink:
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Kirk on the bench is a terrible state of affairs

Either - the squad is so depleted that putting a disinterested no hoper on the bench is considered worthwhile in some way :s  - or Appleton has no idea what a disinterested no hoper he is  :s

both reasons are cause for dismay