Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    May definitely needs a strike partner alongside him.
    The only way we can do this without the midfield getting over run is to go 3 5 2.
    It's not Appleton s favourite format but it must be worth a try.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Completely predictable.

We hate being pressed because we aren't technically good enough to play around it 
    We don't press collectively but as individuals meaning we make it easy to play through us
    We always make Santos look like Beckenbauer and did once again.
    We bottled it in the tackles because those big scary northern boys intimidated us.
    But most of all 3 of the 4 defenders are dogshit.
    Noticed this a few times yesterday, we just don’t look like a team that has been coached what to do out of possession. We get broken down far too easily and when we try and press as you say, one or 2 players commit but no one else does so it’s easy for the oppo to pass around them
  • Options
    Bolton easily the best team I've seen this season. Strong, organised, skillful and direct. Not in a long ball way , but switching the play from wing to wing and getting the ball in the box as quickly as possible. Their number 14 and the lad Charles are very very useful. We were beaten by a much better team and Appleton is right to point out their side has been a few years in the making, but....why the fuck did we set up with three short arses up front against them, while leaving Leaburn and Tedic on the bench? Camara and Fraser starting over Watson? Really? I was mystified by the team selection tbh, which just invited pressure that a good side like Bolton will take advantage of. Appleton really needs to have a think about how he sets us up against Wigan. I like what he's done so far, but yesterday just seemed like he shuffled the pack for the sake of it and forgot what had got us results over the last few games. Still optimistic we can make our way up the league though. COYA
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Starting to be a recurring theme that Apples fails to get the teamsheet or plan right and is left trying to correct things at half-time. We stood off Bolton first half while they pressed out backline in return and they dominated. Holden didn't seem the best manager in the world but at least he had us pressing. In this league, teams aren't good enough to play around it, so why not press. 

It was an odd decision to start Camara as the 10 and leave the midfield as Dobson & Fraser. Camara is more solid in the tackle than Fraser, and Fraser is more of a 10 than Camara. 

The decision to start Fraser at all... It was remarkable how, within one minute of Watson coming on, you could see how much more he shows for the ball than Fraser. 

We're leaving one of our best players (Leaburn) on the bench most games just to make space for Apples 433. The May - Leaburn link-up down the middle finally caused Bolton some real problems and could be the real strength of this team. 

The weakness of the defence (underlined by Adam Matthews-levels of motivation from Hector) needs yet more overhauling. We called it pre-season and after the window shut and here it is. Surely they knew as well. 

• Options

For those interested the vlog, some really entertaining interviews with the Bolton fans imo 
    Good one , don’t need to sit there again that bar was annoying and took the video out of focus a little bit on at least a couple of match clips .
    you don’t fancy Wigan , understandable 
    if you’re there at ht I think you should show the ht crossbar challenge , there’s some crackers .
    I moved seats and realised that one also has the view but from another rail, emailing the club to be moved today.

I will 100% be at Wigan, already dreading it as I think it's got 3 nil to them written all over it, but I'll be there. 

I watched the cross bar challenge but didn't record, something to think about tbf. 

Cheers mate 
  • Options
    We can’t play CBT in 352 formation though he can’t defend. 
  • Options
    You’d be disappointed if an U11 team defended that corner for the first goal like that. For some time we’ve defended short corners by sending only one player out to defend. Got lucky until today when it was our downfall.
    if we can’t get the basics right there’s little hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    How is Fraser starting over Watson - he’s crap
    Fraser isn't crap...he wasn't fully match ready, which could also apply to Camara as well, and that's down to Apples, agree he should have stared Louis, and he probably would agree now, in fact he owned up to getting it wrong in his post match interview...
    I’ve watched him for 2 years now, he’s definitely crap.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    arny23394 said:
    Fraser isn't crap...he wasn't fully match ready, which could also apply to Camara as well, and that's down to Apples, agree he should have stared Louis, and he probably would agree now, in fact he owned up to getting it wrong in his post match interview...
    Oh well, that's that sorted then!!🙄
  • Options
    Last two games not good enough, Appleton being found out.
    Major changes needed. Thomas just not good enough!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    arny23394 said:
    arny23394 said:
    Have to agree to an extent, stuck my neck out for Fraser a number of times. Although I wouldn't say he's point blank crap.

If you gave Fraser freedom there is no one at this club who has the technical ability of him, the way he controls the ball, his passing range, his speed of turn with the ball. 

Unfortunately he needs time to do these things and it's time he is never afforded. He's too slow and lacks the edge to be a proper dominant center mid. The very definition of a luxury player 
  • Options
    It's difficult not to be despondent after that.
    I thought the last two games would show us that we are ready to compete at the top, but instead we unravelled.
    I despise being quoted xg shit as a rationale for inadequacy and any coulda shoulda woulda shit.
    Now Appleton is pretty much telling us it will take 3 or 4 years to be like Bolton.
    Thanks for the heads-up Michael, think of the thousands I can save on season tickets for two and fares from Dorset and back. (Except of course I won't).
    Thing is Michael you won't be here in 3 or 4 years and probably neither will these owners.
    We are where we belong. Our ground is too big for us. Every summer is a depressing cycle of major squad rebuilding.
    Piss off.                          

Maybe we should play in Dorchester .That a small enough ground for you,
  • Options
    Still looking forward to seeing the real Tedic, why did we bring in a striker on loan, only to play him as a stand in RWB, the guy is a centre forward, get him in with Alfie as a two, some comments on CL are baffling, saying he is no good, when he keeps being played out of position...🤔
    Having seen him play in the Dutch league I have no idea how he ended up at Man City ,let alone Charlton.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    arny23394 said:
    I agree he is a lightweight luxury player who hardly ever goes in for a challenge and dissappear for periods of the game.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    First goal was down to Dobson inability to pass a ball , lazy pass when we were on the attack 3/4 mins later goal ,great strike but the ball should ever have been down that end .. second was just poor from the ref , Thomas was off the pitch over the 30 secs then he gets in the way of a Charlton player stopping Charles run .. the ref should have stopped the play simple .. up to the first goal it was an even contest , 0-2 you just need to make sure your still in the game at HT and we was .. second half much better Campbell misses from 2 yards , May mis-kicks twice and the ref again misses handball on the line from Hector headed , Bolton were only relaying on break aways .. if we could have got one goal pretty sure we would have got something out of that game ..

The big problem was Bolton clearly see that Campbell and CBT do not defend and track back and it was clear they overloaded our full backs ( seen a lot of nonsense about written about them ) .. full backs stood no chance yesterday number 12 and Number 27 who scored basically had a free run all afternoon .. TWatson done very well yesterday , Thomas being a bit slower on the turn struggled but no blame can be put at their door , or the central defence who again played well but had to drift wide to cover and help the full backs .. 

Campbell and CBT need to be sat down and that watch that game through they were a disgrace to their team mates 

Those 2 players for Bolton were wing backs. In our defensive shape it was clearly the tactic to leave CBT higher up against the RCB who plays a bit wider for Bolton and leave the wing back for Thomas. If CBT had been tasked with tracking the wing back all game then no doubt everyone would have moaned about it being too defensive. Both wing backs were free all game and that was a big problem but it was more a failure of our set up from Appleton.

We should have played a normal midfield 3 so that the outside midfielders could help out wide, or we should have matched their formation. It was too easy for them to overload us 
    I would agree Naby but it should be pointed out that Appleton does not have a squad with midfield players who have defensive nous. Yesterdays team contained only one defensive minded player in Dobson, everyone else in that five could be considered offensive, even when Watson appeared, the good one not the shit one, it was basically a like for like change. Taylor and McGrandles, both injured long term, are they only other senior players who fit the role of defensive midfield, should Anderson have been in there, maybe his mobility could have helped, but it's a big maybe. 
  • Options
    Apples is playing at least 3 players out of position:
    Fraser has usually played on the left of midfield, he is now on the right
    Thomas is a centre back not a wing back
    May is not a lone striker, nor a number ten.
  • Options
    Maybe we should give Abankwah a go in his actual position rather than playing him at RB twice then not including him in the 18 again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we was horrendous yesterday. Slight improvement 2nd half but still not good enough.

We are too slow in possession. Very predictable. Every team knows CBT is 1 dimensional and will cut in on his right foot.

Hector, Thomas  and Watson in defence just so so poor. Jones only consistent player. 

And as for Campbell bottling and jumping out of challenges. That's criminal 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Haven't heard the Appleton interview but if he says they have had the same manager for 4 years and improved then fine.

Ian Evatt started in June 2020 and in his first season won promotion from L2.
    First season in L1 he got Bolton to 9th
    Second season he got them to 5th and a play off spot.
    Today they sit joint 3rd.

When we have a manager showing improvement year in year maybe we will keep them. For at least 6 years we have gone backwards.
  • Options
    May definitely needs a strike partner alongside him.
    The only way we can do this without the midfield getting over run is to go 3 5 2.
    It's not Appleton s favourite format but it must be worth a try.
    100% - added to the fact our full backs are crap it would seem a no brainier 
  • Options
    We can’t play CBT in 352 formation though he can’t defend. 
    Sone games he can sit on the bench and come on up front once things open up - we cannot play May up front in his own - it’s ridiculous - I’m truly done with 433 - it’s never worked for us and if that means using CBT as a bit part, so be it 
  • Options
    Fraser is a luxury player not someone you want in the trenches with you. Yeh the guy has moments of superb individual brilliance but you can’t afford to carry him for 75% of the game in this league. Sorry but he doesn’t do enough for me over 90+ minutes so play him against the minnows or bring him on from the bench after an hour.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Last two games not good enough, Appleton being found out.
    Major changes needed. Thomas just not good enough!
    Funny player to pick out. Playing out of position he’s been reasonably ok and hasn’t made many obvious mistakes while filling in for Edun. There have been far worse than him playing in their correct positions, and probably being paid three or four times as much. Like the guy being mentioned in the post above. 
    Considering that Bolton have better players than us, are physically stronger and fitter than us, and have fewer kids in the team than us, I think we did pretty well in the second half. 
    I agree,Thomas is out of position,and doing his best,yesterday he was continually over run,because of the lack of help around him.Wouldnt mind seeing him at CB in place of Hector when Edun is fit.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    https://youtu.be/-qwTHWA0ljA?si=KBrw-LMXZPU0FEDU

For those interested the vlog, some really entertaining interviews with the Bolton fans imo 
    I was at the game, but honestly......look at Blackett Taylor in those second half clips....shameful.
    Surprised he's out of the firing line a bit for his performance, he offered little to nothing and was closed down easily. 

Hoping for a bit of a bounce back from him next game as he's blown cold twice now as much as I rate him.