Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    2-0 down at home and don’t change it up at halftime? 

4 points clear of relegation 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    How long was Terrell Thomas’ 30 seconds off the pitch after the injury? 60 seconds? More? And Bolton rubbed it in by keeping the ball right in front of him. Then scored.
    getting on the tube now lol
    For sure, but if Tyreece deals with the cross then we don't concede.

1st half we were outplayed and outthought.   Bolton could attack down the wings at ease, and Appleton seemed unable to react.  Their no. 12 had so much space, and as at times Thomas was tucked inside marking no. 16. The shape was all wrong and that's on Apples
  • Options
    Over run and well beaten.. dont think I have seen a corner routine lead to a goal like that...I am sure the receiver of the short corner was the one who scored the goal...never the less 5 or 6 passes no -one challenged we deserve what we got.

Too little too late 2nd half. Wigan and pompey await oh well.
    Could very easily be 4 losses on the spin 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    How long was Terrell Thomas’ 30 seconds off the pitch after the injury? 60 seconds? More? And Bolton rubbed it in by keeping the ball right in front of him. Then scored.
    getting on the tube now lol
    According to Charlton TV it was 38 seconds.
  • Options
    PWR

4 points above the relegation zone. We need to get further clear and safe before considering play offs etc which appear to be little more than a daydream the way we are.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Been saying it for weeks but we massively lack a hard bastard and a general aggression. 
    No coincidence that since the one player who has that, Chuks, got injured we’ve looked like a youth team playing against men. 

Bolton fans on the train just now said the exact same thing. Saw flashes of quality in us (I think they were just being nice) but it was evident we missed a couple of old, hard heads in there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing as the Northampton game looks like being cancelled due to International call ups it looks like my next game will be the relegation 6-pointer against Cheltenham. 
  • Options
    Our midfield was virtually non existent today, both attacking and defensively. That meant the wingers for Bolton had a tonne of space to play in, which was exasperated, especially on our right side, by Watson playing far too narrow and Campbell dithering and pulling out of tackles. The lack of any attacking intent in the first half really put us under the cosh and far too many times our centre backs were on the ball, passing to full backs, only for them to pass it right back to them or them to aimlessly punt it away. 

Second half we addressed this a bit and started creating our own chances but 2-0 flatters us with the way they carved us open throughout the afternoon
  • Options
    Lot better in the second half but once again we find ourselves with only one half in us
    I was hoping we put that behind us but it's reared it's ugly head today & on Tuesday 
    Got to get it in to these players to give it all for 90 mins otherwise results will drop off again 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Not sure it was even an improvement second half, Bolton sat deeper defending their lead and allowed us to play, and yet every time they came forward, they still looked like scoring. They dropped back to first gear and had many more to move up through if needed. We could barely work the clutch. 

I said before the game that I didn't think today would show where we were a as a squad, never been more wrong. We were outclassed and have a long, long way to go. 
  • Options
    Those blaming Appleton I feel is a bit harsh, only criticism of him is starting May up front alone but really what option does he have? Bigger criticism needs to come for the defence, once again another shocking performance (AMB aside) they just stand around ball watching half the time, while I don't think Thomas is particularly good at least he shows some effort.

That said the rest of the team weren't much better, constant balls in to feet of the forwards with their backs to goal. Campbell looks completely lost, I thought that goal last week might help confidence but he needs a spell out but again what options do we have?
    Bolton let their foot off the grass and it could easily have been a very underserved 2-2 at one stage. That's the only reason the xg looked favourable. 

It'll be another mid table finish, we'll lose the best of this group and probably not replace them or strengthen the defence and around we go again. Proper investment is needed but I just don't see it happening.
  • Options
    Prob will be in the minority but I didn't think Bolton were that good. Good at what they do yes but certainly there to be beat. Yes we didn't score and they defended well at times but Campbell and Camara should have scored. Bolton second goal was piss take, why Thomas wasn't allowed back on was a fucking joke, especially as that's where they attacked!

We need nasty bastards in our team. Someone who will do dark stuff that some won't do. Leaburn is good at this and we need more.

Thought Campbell and Fraser were dogshit especially Campbell...has nothing when under pressure and is so weak..decision making is woeful at best!

Camara is a player and hope he stays fit. Hope we sell Fraser in Jan.

The second goal was atrocious. I honeslty think the ref forgot Thomas was waiting to come on.

Have to do better though and not leave so late.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mid table is realistic. Not concerned about relegation. Appleton is suggesting that it will take time and gives Bolton as a four year development as an example. We have been in this division for far too long now. In a recent interview Andy Scott seemed to suggest we need to stop being a soft touch and this starts now? Clearly not good enough  this season for a promotion push and this is depressing.
  • Options
    Here we go, two losses in a row and there’s already restlessness re: the new manager.

Appleton came into the game today understanding that Bolton have better players than us. We’re all pissed off with losing the game but he isn’t here to pander to the fans. He’s trying to find some positives from the game because morale needs to be picked up again before midweek.

There is no point coming out of today and publicly digging the players out because it isn’t going to help and it’s a quick way to lose the dressing room if you throw the water bottles every time we lose.
    Agree with all that and I've said Apples needs two windows to try and make us proper contenders for next season, he needs time. Not his fault the current squad is unbalanced and not good enough. But quoting xG? Means fuck all. 
  • Options
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
  • Options
    Woeful there are far more fans willing to listen to whatever inept incumbent holds out managerial position.

better xg more shots go away they were miles better than us and gutless eleven 

We’re proper shite managers players the lot 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    KettsJohn said:
    Mid table is realistic. Not concerned about relegation. Appleton is suggesting that it will take time and gives Bolton as a four year development as an example. We have been in this division for far too long now. In a recent interview Andy Scott seemed to suggest we need to stop being a soft touch and this starts now? Clearly not good enough  this season for a promotion push and this is depressing.
    It's ingrained in the club. We ARE a soft touch!

Touchey Feeley,  Losey Losey!

The only periods of sustained success (3 or 4 games in a Charlton context) over the years, have been when we have had one or more absolute shit housers in the team.

Currently we have either injury prone liabilities, timewasters, stealing a living merchants, naive youngsters learning a trade in this team AND NO REAL LEADER!
  • Options
    Here we go, two losses in a row and there’s already restlessness re: the new manager.

Appleton came into the game today understanding that Bolton have better players than us. We’re all pissed off with losing the game but he isn’t here to pander to the fans. He’s trying to find some positives from the game because morale needs to be picked up again before midweek.

There is no point coming out of today and publicly digging the players out because it isn’t going to help and it’s a quick way to lose the dressing room if you throw the water bottles every time we lose.
    Agree with all that and I've said Apples needs two windows to try and make us proper contenders for next season, he needs time. Not his fault the current squad is unbalanced and not good enough. But quoting xG? Means fuck all. 
    I know it’s a dirty word but it’s just a stat like any other. Would you have been upset with it if he’d quoted our 12 shots or 57% possession?
  • Options
    Simple fact is we’re shit.

24 teams in the league. About 6-7 teams are Championship teams recently relegated / League One teams around that finish in the top 6 each year.

About 6-7 teams are perennial League One strugglers or recently promoted League Two teams.

The remaining 10 are average League One teams who will do nothing, go nowhere, surprise no-one, etc.

I’d say we are at the bottom of the pile of those 10 teams.

• Options
    If Tuesday wasn’t enough of a indication of our place in the pecking order of L1, this afternoon should leave you in no doubt
    We have potential, but mostly we are just bang average . Up against a decent side we were all over the place first half. True second we improved and gave it a blast, but it never really looked like the come back was likely. 
    Up mid table league is our limit, what a time to be a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
    then why not put in your set of marks?