Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    I didn't think the line up would have been mine or quite a few other supporters choice but Bolton play some cracking one touch football and it's hard to see whatever line up or tactics would have stopped the goals and chances they created. How far are we behind ? Well the centre back and centre forward are like nothing we have in our squad at present, I will leave Chuks out of the equation because of his fitness problems. They win the battles in midfield and that one touch play creates chances for the good finishers. Our team can't win the battles in midfield and Fraser, Watson and Camara are flair players, great in possession and going forward but don't have that stoic quality needed to dig in and battle. Our defence is brittle, the two full backs would struggle to get in most bottom half first division sides, in saying that, I was not that impressed with their back four, up front Alfie May would get in their team and score hat fulls and that counts for Leaburn as well. 
    We got beaten today by a well drilled passing side today who have been put together with patience over four years, we probably will need to concentrate on keeping and developing our young players and with a couple of additions mould this side into something similar to Bolton. 
  • Options
    Much better second half but think a lot of that was due to Bolton letting us attack as they were happy to sit on the lead.
    I don’t expect anything from Wigan either, need our guaranteed win at Portsmouth away to bail us out our dreadful away run 
  • Options
    I’ve got news for the Appleman. 

1 we are not as good as we think we are
    2 get ready to lose four league games on the trot. 
    3 sort your starting 11 out - e.g. Fraser but no Watson, May against 2 giants but to Tedic or Leaburn. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
    then why not put in your set of marks?
    Will that change the other scores? 
    no but why criticise when you can't bothered to put in your own marks ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So if our xG is better than the opposition in every game we finish top and go up right even if we actually lose the games?. xG, load of old bollocks.
    I really can't see how our XG was better than theirs. We didn't get into many decent chance taking situations & their keeper only made 1 or 2 saves. Whereas AMB made 3 or 4 saves & they scored twice.

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
    Maybe he wasn't at the game? Or maybe he just doesn't want to. No need to get so narky about it.
  • Options
    Just before the Lincoln game I was thinking that someone was on the verge of getting a proper spanking - a 5 or 6. 

Two games later and I think it may be us.
  • Options
    Couldn’t go today kids all over the place needing lifts as usual

There on Tuesday though with the other 245 can’t wait 🙈
  • Options
    I thought Jones, Camara & May had good games but MOTM was AMB. Wingers need to learn to cross low & hard when they have a 6ft 4 defender & our striker is 5ft 8. Hector should be dropped & Ness should replace him. When Edun is fit he automatically slots in at LB.  Then Micky Apples needs to stop chopping & changing our RB.....get a fucking settled side & continue with it even when we lose. 

And the last couple of games once again proves that coaching badges are worth diddly squat and anyone can be football manager. Should never have sacked Holden & we are no further forward with this clown in charge. 

Lose the next 2 & with an International break meaning same teams will play when we don't we could well be close to the bottom 4 by the time we play Cheltenham. 

Like last season I don't think we'll go down but like last season finishing 10th-14th looks more than likely.

Happy days.
  • Options
    Got taught a lesson today. At least Micky Apples knows how far away we are from where we need to be. Leaburn should have been on earlier and made a difference. Watson brought much needed energy. Asiimwe even though right footed was much better at left back than Thomas, should start Tuesday. Would like to see Leaburn and May together in a two. Can't see us troubling the play offs this season. Apples needs at least the January and the summer window to try to sort this out sufficiently to make us contenders. May have to sacrifice someone for big bucks to let him do that. All for the greater good.
    Who realistically would go for ‘big bucks’ ? Leaburn is the only one who could commend any kind of fee imo
  • Options
    Beaten by a better, physically stronger side.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Beaten by the best side seen at home this season. Writing was on the wall when May is selected up front on his own and L Watson left on the bench At least Holden had an excise with no other option to play May up front on his own.
    No excuse for Appleton (None of this Micky Apples, Or Apple Score bollocks) Play your strongest team to win the game 

Dont mention that xG shite either 

Fraser alongside Dobson is a no regardless of what he does with the ball. At this level it’s the off ball stuff that wins you games

Leaburn and L Watson to start Tuesday night for me 
  • Options
    Played in a golf tournament today on Cape Cod in glorious 80 F weather today and could not give a fcuk I didn't see that game.....we are such a mediocre team nowadays.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    If he was at the game does he have to put his marks on here? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Just before the Lincoln game I was thinking that someone was on the verge of getting a proper spanking - a 5 or 6. 

Two games later and I think it may be us.
    Wigan and Pompey are now games we could get turned over in.  Wigan have turned a bit of form, and we’re poor away, and for however good our record against Pompey is, they look very good this season.  If we get a point off the 2 games I’ll be happy given how we look going into them 
  • Options
    Didn't think we were that bad.
    Played fine first 15mins and matched them. But unforgivably bad defending at the corner letting them stroll around for a shot.  We did the same each corner Reading had last weekend with just one defender against 2 of theirs but Reading were not good enough to do anything about it.  That is piss poor, park league defending.  Then we have Thomas off and fall to pieces for their second and I thought it would be a long afternoon.
    But to be fair, our players hung in until half time (helped I reckon by Dobson's smashing tackle in front of the family stand which was a proper captain's tackle not that he will be given credit for it on here)
    We did well second half I thought and could have got a couple back.  AMB was excellent today with some fine saves. 
    Bolton of course were good for their win, but we are 3 proper decent old heads away from a decent squad. Not rocket science as I said it before the window closed.  A big, committed and tough CB like Santos and nasty shit like Charles and one more in our team and we would look so much better.  That is the sort of quality, leadership and age we need to get in in January.
    But we will no doubt spend all of Jan trying to move on Kirk and McG to the no takers instead.
    The n***y S*** up front is available on free transfer and if "they" had a clue he would be training with us already ready in case baby ~Leaburn is snatched from his cradle in `jan.
    Assume you mean Lyle Taylor? No thanks. Wouldn't want him after what he did for us.
    But more than that I wouldn't want a bloke who got his pay day and has been shit ever since with a total of 12 goals in over 3 years.
    I am also pretty sure he also hasn't kicked a first team football since about May '22 as didn't get a single game last season and is currently without a club... unless you count playing for Montserrat which I wouldn't. 
    He is 33 and done. 
    You're welcome to your opinion.  Welcome also to the  bottom third of Div 1. Your sensitivities will stand in the way of progress.
    The reasons why is that he has more hold up play than all of the current strikers put together. He `can do everything that the others can do as well. May will score more inconsequential goals as a talented striker but unable to help his team across the line. Sign LT on a contract weighted towards appearance and goals.
    I'm  not saying there aren't better strikers but- who is available and we can afford.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    If he was at the game does he have to put his marks on here? 
    Yep, compulsory. Otherwise you're not allowed to comment on the game.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A dismal first half in which we handed Bolton the game on a plate. Our tactics of ‘no pressing’ enabled them to leisurely play the ball into our half, whilst their aggressive closing down from the front three meant that our defenders ended up hoofing the ball up to the halfway line, where it was easily gobbled up and recycled by Santos and his mates. Bolton’s right back, the tenacious Jones, got very tight on CBT and our midfield players failed to show for the ball when our defenders were in possession. The result was a dominant first half for the visitors, who looked as if they might run away with it in the second half.

We were much better after half time, led by a bravura performance from Alfie May, and - surprise, surprise - Bolton were not so slick when put under a bit of pressure. We paid them far too much respect in the first half, probably borne out of the manager’s fear that they would play through us if we pushed up. 

Unfortunately, the goal would not come although, if it had, it would have been a very interesting finish. A big shout out to Alfie May, who really tried to get things going and showed some real quality, although he skied a half decent chance when well placed. He was by far our best player on the day, though, closely followed by Ashley Maynard-Brewer. Jones was also impressive - unlike his ultra-casual partner, Hector (who must come out of the side) - while the substitutes Watson (a big upgrade on the slow and weak Fraser) and Leaburn also helped swing things our in the second half, even though we were unable to penetrate a very resolute and high quality Bolton defence.

The better team won and, yet again, a humbling defeat against this lot serves to illustrate just how much we need to improve to compete at the top end of this division.

This 100% , we are miles off
  • Options
    Being a mid-table team is really frustrating. It means we can win matches and go on little runs every now and then which has us dreaming that we might be able to compete at the top of the division. Sure enough a half decent team then comes along and reminds us how average we really are. 

We should have been about 4-0 down by half time today, we should thank our lucky stars that it was only 2-0 at FT.  
  • Options
    Didn't think we were that bad.
    Played fine first 15mins and matched them. But unforgivably bad defending at the corner letting them stroll around for a shot.  We did the same each corner Reading had last weekend with just one defender against 2 of theirs but Reading were not good enough to do anything about it.  That is piss poor, park league defending.  Then we have Thomas off and fall to pieces for their second and I thought it would be a long afternoon.
    But to be fair, our players hung in until half time (helped I reckon by Dobson's smashing tackle in front of the family stand which was a proper captain's tackle not that he will be given credit for it on here)
    We did well second half I thought and could have got a couple back.  AMB was excellent today with some fine saves. 
    Bolton of course were good for their win, but we are 3 proper decent old heads away from a decent squad. Not rocket science as I said it before the window closed.  A big, committed and tough CB like Santos and nasty shit like Charles and one more in our team and we would look so much better.  That is the sort of quality, leadership and age we need to get in in January.
    But we will no doubt spend all of Jan trying to move on Kirk and McG to the no takers instead.
    The n***y S*** up front is available on free transfer and if "they" had a clue he would be training with us already ready in case baby ~Leaburn is snatched from his cradle in `jan.
    Assume you mean Lyle Taylor? No thanks. Wouldn't want him after what he did for us.
    But more than that I wouldn't want a bloke who got his pay day and has been shit ever since with a total of 12 goals in over 3 years.
    I am also pretty sure he also hasn't kicked a first team football since about May '22 as didn't get a single game last season and is currently without a club... unless you count playing for Montserrat which I wouldn't. 
    He is 33 and done. 
    You're welcome to your opinion.  Welcome also to the  bottom third of Div 1. Your sensitivities will stand in the way of progress.
    The reasons why is that he has more hold up play than all of the current strikers put together. He `can do everything that the others can do as well. May will score more inconsequential goals as a talented striker but unable to help his team across the line. Sign LT on a contract weighted towards appearance and goals.
    I'm  not saying there aren't better strikers but- who is available and we can afford.

Lol. My sensitivities will get in the way of progress? Who do you think I am, Andy Scott? Sorry to say but I don't have any influence on who we bring in.
    And as explained above I wouldn't want him because he is 33, not played for 18months and essentially stopped putting in much effort the moment he signed his big contract.
    I have no idea who is out there but have no doubt whatsoever that there would be better options than a fella who is so done no one has bothered to sign him 3 months into the season.

Anyway, back to today's match; I hope AMB kicks on from his game today and liked the look of Camara. Reckon if we play like that for the season we end up close to the playoffs anyway as, for me, Bolton are the best team in this division by a margin and will win the league this year.
  • Options
    I think if we had Bowyer in charge it would've been far more competitive today. Not sure on Appleton.