Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    For their goals... 

Fraser passes off his attacker late and forces Dobson to leave his man unmarked

Dobson, Fraser and Jones all get drawn to the same player and yet he makes it through all three to score as they're all caught ball watching and nobody focuses on man marking him. This one is more a Jones and Dobson error as Fraser is closest to the ball. 

It can't keep happening.
  • Options
    First goal was down to Dobson inability to pass a ball , lazy pass when we were on the attack 3/4 mins later goal ,great strike but the ball should ever have been down that end .. second was just poor from the ref , Thomas was off the pitch over the 30 secs then he gets in the way of a Charlton player stopping Charles run .. the ref should have stopped the play simple .. up to the first goal it was an even contest , 0-2 you just need to make sure your still in the game at HT and we was .. second half much better Campbell misses from 2 yards , May mis-kicks twice and the ref again misses handball on the line from Hector headed , Bolton were only relaying on break aways .. if we could have got one goal pretty sure we would have got something out of that game ..

The big problem was Bolton clearly see that Campbell and CBT do not defend and track back and it was clear they overloaded our full backs ( seen a lot of nonsense about written about them ) .. full backs stood no chance yesterday number 12 and Number 27 who scored basically had a free run all afternoon .. TWatson done very well yesterday , Thomas being a bit slower on the turn struggled but no blame can be put at their door , or the central defence who again played well but had to drift wide to cover and help the full backs .. 

Campbell and CBT need to be sat down and that watch that game through they were a disgrace to their team mates 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    1968CAFC said:
    If we had a proper serious striker in the Squad today it could have been 2-2.
    sadly we have only nearly strikers 👎👎👎
    Alfie May is on 9 league goals already this season 
    Alfie is very talented finisher but not his day yesterday. Two very presentable chances. Similarly for Tyreece, who seemed to be undecided between laying on chances or shooting himself, plus a heading opportunity that surprised him. What pleased me was the use of passing between defenders for TC to run onto, which worked well,  in 2nd half. It almost looked like football.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Played in a golf tournament today on Cape Cod in glorious 80 F weather today and could not give a fcuk I didn't see that game.....we are such a mediocre team nowadays.......

Golf in the heat, sooner football and a day on the piss in the rain meself
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Got taught a lesson today. At least Micky Apples knows how far away we are from where we need to be. Leaburn should have been on earlier and made a difference. Watson brought much needed energy. Asiimwe even though right footed was much better at left back than Thomas, should start Tuesday. Would like to see Leaburn and May together in a two. Can't see us troubling the play offs this season. Apples needs at least the January and the summer window to try to sort this out sufficiently to make us contenders. May have to sacrifice someone for big bucks to let him do that. All for the greater good.
    I think Leaburn will go for the (relatively) big bucks but I seriously doubt that any or much of it will be invested back into the playing squad. It'll go on reducing the losses.
  • Options
    Just cannot believe the goals we concede,I said to my wife when they got that corner,there is a bloke totally unmarked on the edge of the area,sure enough he was involved in the move which then featured 3-4 unchallenged passes in or around our area.
    Contrast their defending,people just throwing themselves in the way,blocking everything,I just dont see that with our defenders.
    Campbell and Taylor got to the bye line on numerous occasions,but their defence was so organised the cut backs and crosses were dealt with.
    Until we get some proper defenders,we will go nowhere there is no physical presence that scares the opposition,(Look at their no 5)I have said it before,Innis instead of Hector,would have Made a difference.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    For their goals... 

Dobson, Fraser and Jones all get drawn to the same player and yet he makes it through all three to score as they're all caught ball watching and nobody focuses on man marking him. This one is more a Jones and Dobson error as Fraser is closest to the ball. 

It can't keep happening.
    Dazzler21 said:
    For their goals... 

It can't keep happening.
    Just look at that photo,2 players in our box in front of their markers with a totally unmarked player behind them,this is horrendous and has to be dealt with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think our problem is our wingers don’t want to defend or don’t know how to. How many times yesterday did our fullback end up 2 on 1 with the Bolton players playing simple one twos round them and our wingers just stand there watching.They couldn’t even pick up the shirt comer for the goal. 
    When we are out of possession we basically have the front 3 players out of the game.Bolton looked like they had more players on the pitch they always had a player to pass to because of there movement and when we had the ball they closed us down that good the player on the ball had little options. 
    There work ethic was so much better than ours I think ours has improved under Appleton but still not enough. 
    I’d drop the wingers for the away game at Wigan for a more compact midfield. 

• Options
    First goal was down to Dobson inability to pass a ball , lazy pass when we were on the attack 3/4 mins later goal ,great strike but the ball should ever have been down that end .. second was just poor from the ref , Thomas was off the pitch over the 30 secs then he gets in the way of a Charlton player stopping Charles run .. the ref should have stopped the play simple .. up to the first goal it was an even contest , 0-2 you just need to make sure your still in the game at HT and we was .. second half much better Campbell misses from 2 yards , May mis-kicks twice and the ref again misses handball on the line from Hector headed , Bolton were only relaying on break aways .. if we could have got one goal pretty sure we would have got something out of that game ..

The big problem was Bolton clearly see that Campbell and CBT do not defend and track back and it was clear they overloaded our full backs ( seen a lot of nonsense about written about them ) .. full backs stood no chance yesterday number 12 and Number 27 who scored basically had a free run all afternoon .. TWatson done very well yesterday , Thomas being a bit slower on the turn struggled but no blame can be put at their door , or the central defence who again played well but had to drift wide to cover and help the full backs .. 

Campbell and CBT need to be sat down and that watch that game through they were a disgrace to their team mates 

Those 2 players for Bolton were wing backs. In our defensive shape it was clearly the tactic to leave CBT higher up against the RCB who plays a bit wider for Bolton and leave the wing back for Thomas. If CBT had been tasked with tracking the wing back all game then no doubt everyone would have moaned about it being too defensive. Both wing backs were free all game and that was a big problem but it was more a failure of our set up from Appleton.

We should have played a normal midfield 3 so that the outside midfielders could help out wide, or we should have matched their formation. It was too easy for them to overload us 
  • Options
    Didn't think we were that bad.
    Played fine first 15mins and matched them. But unforgivably bad defending at the corner letting them stroll around for a shot.  We did the same each corner Reading had last weekend with just one defender against 2 of theirs but Reading were not good enough to do anything about it.  That is piss poor, park league defending.  Then we have Thomas off and fall to pieces for their second and I thought it would be a long afternoon.
    But to be fair, our players hung in until half time (helped I reckon by Dobson's smashing tackle in front of the family stand which was a proper captain's tackle not that he will be given credit for it on here)
    We did well second half I thought and could have got a couple back.  AMB was excellent today with some fine saves. 
    Bolton of course were good for their win, but we are 3 proper decent old heads away from a decent squad. Not rocket science as I said it before the window closed.  A big, committed and tough CB like Santos and nasty shit like Charles and one more in our team and we would look so much better.  That is the sort of quality, leadership and age we need to get in in January.
    But we will no doubt spend all of Jan trying to move on Kirk and McG to the no takers instead.
    The n***y S*** up front is available on free transfer and if "they" had a clue he would be training with us already ready in case baby ~Leaburn is snatched from his cradle in `jan.
    Assume you mean Lyle Taylor? No thanks. Wouldn't want him after what he did for us.
    But more than that I wouldn't want a bloke who got his pay day and has been shit ever since with a total of 12 goals in over 3 years.
    I am also pretty sure he also hasn't kicked a first team football since about May '22 as didn't get a single game last season and is currently without a club... unless you count playing for Montserrat which I wouldn't. 
    He is 33 and done. 
    You're welcome to your opinion.  Welcome also to the  bottom third of Div 1. Your sensitivities will stand in the way of progress.
    The reasons why is that he has more hold up play than all of the current strikers put together. He `can do everything that the others can do as well. May will score more inconsequential goals as a talented striker but unable to help his team across the line. Sign LT on a contract weighted towards appearance and goals.
    I'm  not saying there aren't better strikers but- who is available and we can afford.

Not just the fact that I hate him and never want to see him.play for us again. When was the last time Lyle Taylor played? He wouldn't be fit to start.
  • Options
    never easy given our continual long injury list, but Appleton needs to sort out his best team and formation a s a p, otherwise his good start will soon be wasted .. no real disgrace losing to Notlob, they are a decent outfit .. B U T !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now we could do with Tedic starting, up front, we don't.
  • Options
    Bolton were my early season favourites to go up, but even so, today I would've expected a lot more from us and I'll go early, and say Appleton is another false dawn. Not good enough.
    We are an abused and insane fanbase
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    How is Fraser starting over Watson - he’s crap
    Fraser isn't crap...he wasn't fully match ready, which could also apply to Camara as well, and that's down to Apples, agree he should have stared Louis, and he probably would agree now, in fact he owned up to getting it wrong in his post match interview...