Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Bolton Wanderers: Saturday 28th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
    then why not put in your set of marks?
    Will that change the other scores? 
  • Options
    An entertaining match. Thought given the squads we did well to keep it two nil. 
    Still five or so experienced quality players needed. 
    Enough to stay up though of course and maybe top ten at least if three of those players come in in the window. 

• Options
    Whatever we do as a club with new owners, new managers and players we just seem stuck in a continuous loop of mediocrity. We’re miles off top six this season and I’ve now resigned myself to that. I just hope our new SMT can see that and have the clout to sort things out in the summer. Such a depressing club to support.
    I'll be very interested in the January one, that will be very telling.
  • Options
    Wigan will be tough - but for their points deduction they’d be on 22 points in 9th.
  • Options
    I saw the logic in not starting a big man up front today. 

That’s been tried against Bolton and whoever got the nod would’ve been swallowed up by Santos. Leaburn was much more effective coming off the bench again as we’ve seen from him in recent weeks.

Comparing the two teams, they played with a calmness and silent authority that some of our defensive minded players could only dream of.

Compare Dobson to Thomason, compare Hector to Santos. I hope Friedman saw the gulf today and isn’t against opening the chequebook because this squad still isn’t quite there.
    Good post. But worth bearing in mind that our back four were very aggressively pressed, whereas their’s had all day on the ball to get their passes off.
    But what we wouldn’t give to have Santos in our back four. How many times did he get a block in, or cut out crosses in the six yard box!
    To be fair on us we shaded the second half, and had we scored (Hector’s header from a corner that hit a defender on the line, or May’s ‘open goal’ that he blazed over the crossbar) it might have been an interesting end to the game. Especially as there should have been WAY more than five minutes of injury time. 
    The positive take for me was the way Louie Watson, Leaburn and May linked up. I’m sorry, Fraser can pick a pass, but he’s a luxury player who watches the game passing him by, for much of the time. 
    Camara also looked good. Dobbo, Watson & Camara as our midfield for me, with Leaburn up top, May as a 10, and CBT out wide.
  • Options
    Woeful there are far more fans willing to listen to whatever inept incumbent holds out managerial position.

better xg more shots go away they were miles better than us and gutless eleven 

We’re proper shite managers players the lot 
    XG? He needs to FO!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Don't usually look at the players marks but had a peek.. Some 6's and 7's for the defenders! Christ standards have slipped incredibly low. 
    then why not put in your set of marks?
    Is the chance when you do put in the marks you get an inbox telling you your marks are wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    How long was Terrell Thomas’ 30 seconds off the pitch after the injury? 60 seconds? More? And Bolton rubbed it in by keeping the ball right in front of him. Then scored.
    getting on the tube now lol
    Wasn't much more than 30 seconds, certainly nowhere near the minute most around me were screaming it was.
    Everyone around me too. I’ll take a look on the full match replay. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 50 secs plus. 
  • Options
    Woeful there are far more fans willing to listen to whatever inept incumbent holds out managerial position.

better xg more shots go away they were miles better than us and gutless eleven 

We’re proper shite managers players the lot 
    XG? He needs to FO!
    So disappointing I think they take us for mugs 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    How long was Terrell Thomas’ 30 seconds off the pitch after the injury? 60 seconds? More? And Bolton rubbed it in by keeping the ball right in front of him. Then scored.
    Wasn't much more than 30 seconds, certainly nowhere near the minute most around me were screaming it was.
    Everyone around me too. I’ll take a look on the full match replay. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 50 secs plus. 
    As said 38 seconds.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Passed and bullied off the pitch again today, it was all a bit too easy for Bolton.
  • Options
    Very much the same type of performance we have produced all season (Lincoln being the exception).

Start really slowly, then make changes in the 2nd half which have an effect.

Bolton were far too good for that, particularly when we don't play our best team (Watson and Leaburn).

Jacko took all the stick on here for never changing the formation, but Appleton (nicknames have to be earned) is doing exactly the same.

Play May Leaburn up top together and build the side behind it from there. We are looking the same as the previous 2 seasons, pretty much out of it before the New Year
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Those blaming Appleton I feel is a bit harsh, only criticism of him is starting May up front alone but really what option does he have? Bigger criticism needs to come for the defence, once again another shocking performance (AMB aside) they just stand around ball watching half the time, while I don't think Thomas is particularly good at least he shows some effort.

That said the rest of the team weren't much better, constant balls in to feet of the forwards with their backs to goal. Campbell looks completely lost, I thought that goal last week might help confidence but he needs a spell out but again what options do we have?
    Bolton let their foot off the grass and it could easily have been a very underserved 2-2 at one stage. That's the only reason the xg looked favourable. 

It'll be another mid table finish, we'll lose the best of this group and probably not replace them or strengthen the defence and around we go again. Proper investment is needed but I just don't see it happening.
    Now I know the answer to that one. 

Play either Leaburn or Tedic up front alongside May.

When he brought Leaburn on to do just that, we actually looked like scoring.
    Leaburn looked terrible on Tuesday though so it's not unreasonable that he was dropped. I take your point, personally I'd have started him and like I said it's the one thing I hold against Appleton for today. Tedic I'm not sure is the answer though I'm not sure any of us could say for sure either way. Today has to be the last we see of May starting by himself. But once again we're struggling with the injury to Chuks, it happens all the time.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

1st half we were outplayed and outthought.   Bolton could attack down the wings at ease, and Appleton seemed unable to react.  Their no. 12 had so much space, and as at times Thomas was tucked inside marking no. 16. The shape was all wrong and that's on Apples
    How come they had the freedom of the wings but CBT and TC were tightly marked by two players, without them leaving gaps in the first half?
    Second half was a different story, and we got a lot of crosses in (to Santos lol). 
    The usual negative comments about Thomas today, but I thought he was ok-ish. Without Leaburn or Aneke he was AMB’s long ball outlet, and actually won a few headers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought some of Boltons play in the first half was class and cut us wide open. They were just better than us all over the pitch and highlighted the limitations of this squad.

Watson should start, we don't need to see Dobson /Fraser combo again had 2 seasons already of proving that doesn't work well 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    If that was a Sunday League game (and it times we look like a Sunday League team), the oppo manager would have sarcastically shouted about a thousand times “THEY DON’T WAN IT TODAY LADS, THEY DON’T WAAAAN IT!” 
  • Options
    Didn't think we were that bad.
    Played fine first 15mins and matched them. But unforgivably bad defending at the corner letting them stroll around for a shot.  We did the same each corner Reading had last weekend with just one defender against 2 of theirs but Reading were not good enough to do anything about it.  That is piss poor, park league defending.  Then we have Thomas off and fall to pieces for their second and I thought it would be a long afternoon.
    But to be fair, our players hung in until half time (helped I reckon by Dobson's smashing tackle in front of the family stand which was a proper captain's tackle not that he will be given credit for it on here)
    We did well second half I thought and could have got a couple back.  AMB was excellent today with some fine saves. 
    Bolton of course were good for their win, but we are 3 proper decent old heads away from a decent squad. Not rocket science as I said it before the window closed.  A big, committed and tough CB like Santos and nasty shit like Charles and one more in our team and we would look so much better.  That is the sort of quality, leadership and age we need to get in in January.
    But we will no doubt spend all of Jan trying to move on Kirk and McG to the no takers instead.
    The n***y S*** up front is available on free transfer and if "they" had a clue he would be training with us already ready in case baby ~Leaburn is snatched from his cradle in `jan.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Talal said:
    I’ll defend my marks here for the back 4. Every single game I have seen teams making 2 or 3 passes and they are running at the back 4. We are so easy to play through at times. CBT offers no protection to Thomas & Fraser offers little cover to the back 4.Our pressing at times is embarrassing, some do it, some don’t do it. The back 4 as whole aren’t great, but in that opening 30 minutes they weren’t given anywhere near enough protection. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I saw the logic in not starting a big man up front today. 

That’s been tried against Bolton and whoever got the nod would’ve been swallowed up by Santos. Leaburn was much more effective coming off the bench again as we’ve seen from him in recent weeks.

Comparing the two teams, they played with a calmness and silent authority that some of our defensive minded players could only dream of.

Compare Dobson to Thomason, compare Hector to Santos. I hope Friedman saw the gulf today and isn’t against opening the chequebook because this squad still isn’t quite there.
    Good post. But worth bearing in mind that our back four were very aggressively pressed, whereas their’s had all day on the ball to get their passes off.
    But what we wouldn’t give to have Santos in our back four. How many times did he get a block in, or cut out crosses in the six yard box!
    To be fair on us we shaded the second half, and had we scored (Hector’s header from a corner that hit a defender on the line, or May’s ‘open goal’ that he blazed over the crossbar) it might have been an interesting end to the game. Especially as there should have been WAY more than five minutes of injury time. 
    The positive take for me was the way Louie Watson, Leaburn and May linked up. I’m sorry, Fraser can pick a pass, but he’s a luxury player who watches the game passing him by, for much of the time. 
    Camara also looked good. Dobbo, Watson & Camara as our midfield for me, with Leaburn up top, May as a 10, and CBT out wide.
    Agree with nearly all of that, but AMB made some really good saves and saved an embarrassing scoreline.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Those blaming Appleton I feel is a bit harsh, only criticism of him is starting May up front alone but really what option does he have? Bigger criticism needs to come for the defence, once again another shocking performance (AMB aside) they just stand around ball watching half the time, while I don't think Thomas is particularly good at least he shows some effort.

That said the rest of the team weren't much better, constant balls in to feet of the forwards with their backs to goal. Campbell looks completely lost, I thought that goal last week might help confidence but he needs a spell out but again what options do we have?
    Bolton let their foot off the grass and it could easily have been a very underserved 2-2 at one stage. That's the only reason the xg looked favourable. 

It'll be another mid table finish, we'll lose the best of this group and probably not replace them or strengthen the defence and around we go again. Proper investment is needed but I just don't see it happening.
    Now I know the answer to that one. 

Play either Leaburn or Tedic up front alongside May.

When he brought Leaburn on to do just that, we actually looked like scoring.
    Couldn't understand why like you say we didn't start with Leaburn & may upfront 
    Especially being at home 
  • Options
    Was it just me or did CBT look like he had given up ? No protection on the LHS when we were under pressure and standing still when NA was looking for options later in the game. 

Thought Jones had a good game and we looked a lot better in the second half . Cant think why MA didnt change things up after 30 mins to try to change the tide of the game 
  • Options
    Beaten by a good league one side. They have match winners in there line up. They will be there or there about at end of season. Charlton very poor today some players don’t want to be here. Stealing wages from the club. CBT what a waste of time. Absolutely useless. T. Campbell slightly better but useless as well. Charlton will need about 5 players in January just to keep us safe from relegation. Promotion not a chance. Crikey  Portsmouth soon.  Appleton knows what a shit side he has. 
  • Options
    A real smokes - down to Appleton
    I don’t understand why Appleton don’t start 2 up front and if going for one it has to be a bigger player than May . 2 big centre forwards and one never got on 
    Thomas gets a lot of stick but is a far better defender than Watson , who has trouble defending, and rarely plays the ball forward. We should play Thomas on the right .
    Campbell must have bottled at least 4 tackles - I know he is small but you never see May pull out of a challenge 
    CBT only touched the ball twice in the first half 
    AMB kept us down to 2 - could have easily been 4 - best game I have seen him play 
    let’s hope we start with a bigger centre forward next week and play May just off him .