Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    This isn’t a cynical plan to get my lol count up, but I think Hector will soon win fans over. People around me were raving about him yesterday, until the blunder. Was a bit of a hospital pass by Dobbo, but he’ll have to learn to boot the ball anywhere when under pressure. And I think he will. 
    Me neither but,...
    I think it was Dobbo's responsibility, (he is captain let's not forget), to "boot the ball anywhere" in that position, not pass the buck to the nearest sucker...Hector didn't have time to react, the ball was hit too hard and left him with nowhere to go ...🤷‍♂️
    Obviously Dobbo didn't realise that Hector was going to do a poor impersonation of a pro footballer...
    This could go back and forth like a never ending tennis rally...but there was six feet between Dobbo and Hector, that's it, and the ball should have been hoofed into row Z, it would probably have had the same result whoever was on the receiving end of that pass..
    Anyway, ain't discussion and varied opinions interesting...🙄
  • edited October 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    This isn’t a cynical plan to get my lol count up, but I think Hector will soon win fans over. People around me were raving about him yesterday, until the blunder. Was a bit of a hospital pass by Dobbo, but he’ll have to learn to boot the ball anywhere when under pressure. And I think he will. 
    Me neither but,...
    I think it was Dobbo's responsibility, (he is captain let's not forget), to "boot the ball anywhere" in that position, not pass the buck to the nearest sucker...Hector didn't have time to react, the ball was hit too hard and left him with nowhere to go ...🤷‍♂️
    Obviously Dobbo didn't realise that Hector was going to do a poor impersonation of a pro footballer...
    You mean a slightly better than average league 1 footballer, who you refer to like his you best mate, didn't think a bloke who played in the Premier League is a fraud?

OK pal.

I am sure you think you owned Hector there, bet he is really bothered.  Bet old George is equally flattered you call him Dobbo, which is one less letter than his name 👍
  • Croydon said:
    se9addick said:
    How long is Edun out for? Put him in that side for Thomas and put Campbell in for Tedic and it looks far more balanced.
    We got exposed defensively so often with Edun in the side. I’d stick with Thomas for now even if Edun was available. 
    We get exposed often with Thomas. At least Edun can offer something going forward 
    With Edun teams would target us down that flank, often with much success. I know Thomas isn’t exciting, and he’s not a world beater, but we are significantly better with him than we have been with Edun so far this season. 
  • A tremendously exciting finish to the game but the reality is that we're not going to be serious contenders unless and until we stop conceding soft goals like the first and making dreadful individual howlers, as Hector did for the second. I thought that Blackpool were fairly impressive and I'd expect them to move into the upper reaches of the table as the season progresses. They created some good opportunities and could even have won it after we equalised - as, of course, could we, which made for an entertaining spectacle.

Asiimwe and Campbell made strong cases for inclusion and I would also like to see Ness given another opportunity, given Hector's very erratic form this season. Given that we've now got a clear two weeks, I think we may see Chuks getting another start against Reading.

Just two other random observations: first, I thought the crowd were excellent in really getting behind the side; and, secondly, I was pleased that Albie Morgan got a good reception.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Me neither but,...
    You mean a slightly better than average league 1 footballer, who you refer to like his you best mate, didn't think a bloke who played in the Premier League is a fraud?

OK pal.

I am sure you think you owned Hector there, bet he is really bothered.  Bet old George is equally flattered you call him Dobbo, which is one less letter than his name 👍
    Hector lost possession and gave away a goal or am I missing something? My comment was in respect of the mistake.

Your comment is bizarre...

• edited October 2023
    I thought a draw was a fair result.

Blackpool aren't much fun to watch but they do it well and against our defence they were going to eventually get a chance.  Ironically, we dealt with their many long balls OK and it was their first bit of passing play around our box that lead to the opener.

At 1 - 0 with the subs on we were well on top and I said "Next goals wins" as if we scored before Hector's brain fart I think we'd have gone on to win 2 or 3 - 1.  We certainly created enough chances.

As it was we had to come back from two done which we did in style.

Asiimwe and T Campell gave us a lot more running and energy down that flank.

Aneke is such a good player.  Not a "beast", a very skillful player with close control, strength and running.  He had no right to win the ball he did for the first goal (was that CBT winning the ball back near the right hand side of the box and hitting a great long pass down the line?) but he did and the lifted pass to May was very intelligent.   As the old song goes, "Once he scores, one he'll score more".

Some poor performances, partly explained by MA after the game due to Illness, lack of fitness, etc.  I thought Hector mostly looked very assured but there was the goal, the foul throw and a wayward header in there too.

Thomas is playing out of position but works very hard.  If Edun was fit I'd move Thomas back in the middle and drop Hector.

Fraser showed again why he needs to be on the pitch. Not sure where that would be in the formation MA is playing but busy as L Watson is I still think Fraser is better.

May just runs all day and he can score goals.

Leaburn had an off day but he's 19. Usual nonsense on twitter that if a player doesn't play well he's "not interested" or "looking for a transfer".  No Blackpool played him well and if anything he was trying to hard by flicking on balls first time rather than holding it up.

Felt for Tedic who is not a winger or defender and who let a runner go past him for the cross for the first goal.  It's a shame he can't play in the middle up top v Villa U21s to give May a rest as that is he position and his first touch is excellent.

CBT did lots of CBT things.  Another team set up to stop him and it largely worked.  Wonderful goal but he could and maybe should have had another before but I take two goals in two games from a winger all season long.  Hope @Elthamaddick 's son enjoyed meeting him too.

Still on 2 points a game since Holden was sacked and in the top half of the table with a game in hand (soon to be two) but falling further behind the top two.  

A long way to go yet, still exciting to watch when we get it right, still too many soft goals.
    Mate he was on cloud 9 after that thanks to @tracy
  • I thought a draw was a fair result.

Blackpool aren't much fun to watch but they do it well and against our defence they were going to eventually get a chance.  Ironically, we dealt with their many long balls OK and it was their first bit of passing play around our box that lead to the opener.

At 1 - 0 with the subs on we were well on top and I said "Next goals wins" as if we scored before Hector's brain fart I think we'd have gone on to win 2 or 3 - 1.  We certainly created enough chances.

As it was we had to come back from two done which we did in style.

Asiimwe and T Campell gave us a lot more running and energy down that flank.

Aneke is such a good player.  Not a "beast", a very skillful player with close control, strength and running.  He had no right to win the ball he did for the first goal (was that CBT winning the ball back near the right hand side of the box and hitting a great long pass down the line?) but he did and the lifted pass to May was very intelligent.   As the old song goes, "Once he scores, one he'll score more".

Some poor performances, partly explained by MA after the game due to Illness, lack of fitness, etc.  I thought Hector mostly looked very assured but there was the goal, the foul throw and a wayward header in there too.

Thomas is playing out of position but works very hard.  If Edun was fit I'd move Thomas back in the middle and drop Hector.

Fraser showed again why he needs to be on the pitch. Not sure where that would be in the formation MA is playing but busy as L Watson is I still think Fraser is better.

May just runs all day and he can score goals.

Leaburn had an off day but he's 19. Usual nonsense on twitter that if a player doesn't play well he's "not interested" or "looking for a transfer".  No Blackpool played him well and if anything he was trying to hard by flicking on balls first time rather than holding it up.

Felt for Tedic who is not a winger or defender and who let a runner go past him for the cross for the first goal.  It's a shame he can't play in the middle up top v Villa U21s to give May a rest as that is he position and his first touch is excellent.

CBT did lots of CBT things.  Another team set up to stop him and it largely worked.  Wonderful goal but he could and maybe should have had another before but I take two goals in two games from a winger all season long.  Hope @Elthamaddick 's son enjoyed meeting him too.

Still on 2 points a game since Holden was sacked and in the top half of the table with a game in hand (soon to be two) but falling further behind the top two.  

A long way to go yet, still exciting to watch when we get it right, still too many soft goals.
    Mate he was on cloud 9 after that thanks to @tracy
    Bet he was @Elthamaddick Nice one @tracey
  • Cafc43v3r said:

1) Has lost his man
    2&3) have been completely taken out the game
    4) has been done 
    5) isn't tight enough and is watching the ball but has to react because of 4's undoing.
    6) No idea what he is doing 
    7) Hasn't reacted quick enough to the man running towards the yellow bit.

Thomas, just out of the edit has a man behind him as well.

If the what happened next was Thomas beating Rhodes to the ball and slicing into his own net he would have gotten pelters.  With all the other 7s fault.

That's really poor defending as a team we ended up with 8 players in our own box, by the time Rhodes shot, and they still scored.
    I think Jones has decided to get very worried about cutting out the ball coming across the box in front of goal. That's silly though, because they're so deep that anything that makes it past Hector can really be AMB's to deal with. Jones and Thomas would have been better off marking their opposite numbers but even if they had there's still a good chance that without Rhodes making his run Blackpool's 12 gets the cutback. Dobson has got sucked in when he sees their 23 alone but he should have trusted Tennai (regardless of his performance) to deal with that and occupied his own space, especially as he doesn't even get close to their 23 when he does go. We're just such a mess when teams come at us, you can feel the panic descending on everyone
  • Sponsored links:

• It's time to cast your vote for our Goal of the Weekend!

The nominees are:

Ollie Cooper - Plymouth Argyle v SWANSEA CITY

Corey Blackett-Taylor - CHARLTON ATHLETIC v Blackpool

Jordan Hugill - Southampton v ROTHERHAM UNITED

Jordan Brown - LEYTON ORIENT v Reading

David Ajiboye - PETERBOROUGH UNITED v Lincoln City

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/october/09/vote-for-the-goal-of-the-weekend/
  • Tell us about your day @Hertsseasider
  • Cafc43v3r said:

1) Has lost his man
    2&3) have been completely taken out the game
    4) has been done 
    5) isn't tight enough and is watching the ball but has to react because of 4's undoing.
    6) No idea what he is doing 
    7) Hasn't reacted quick enough to the man running towards the yellow bit.

Thomas, just out of the edit has a man behind him as well.

If the what happened next was Thomas beating Rhodes to the ball and slicing into his own net he would have gotten pelters.  With all the other 7s fault.

That's really poor defending as a team we ended up with 8 players in our own box, by the time Rhodes shot, and they still scored.
    I think Jones has decided to get very worried about cutting out the ball coming across the box in front of goal. That's silly though, because they're so deep that anything that makes it past Hector can really be AMB's to deal with. Jones and Thomas would have been better off marking their opposite numbers but even if they had there's still a good chance that without Rhodes making his run Blackpool's 12 gets the cutback. Dobson has got sucked in when he sees their 23 alone but he should have trusted Tennai (regardless of his performance) to deal with that and occupied his own space, especially as he doesn't even get close to their 23 when he does go. We're just such a mess when teams come at us, you can feel the panic descending on everyone
    Jones was not 100% and was unwell before the game and at half time hence why he was taken off .. perhaps that just might have made that split difference but to be fair Rhodes movement was excellent and like May you can’t stop a natural goalscorer once their in that box 
  • edited October 2023
    It is a general feeling, but  we seem to stand off opponents a little too much.
    And this is precisely it. It is the competitive element where you get up close and personal. It is where you need to win most of your individual battles in League 1 and below all before you get to play the beautiful game.

You don’t get to change that culture over night.

—————-

Overall the same challenges existed as with Exeter in midweek (where Hector was sucked out of position). Appleton is intent on getting the team on the front foot, not just in playing in the final third but playing beyond and trying to hurt the opposition back four.

It ee their heroes lose? The point of competition, even for Manchester City, is that on any given day!

Does that resonate as good management and sound economics?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<
    force the change of ethos. There will inevitably be missed steps along the way as he and the players develop a coherent way forward.

The rush to judgement, be it a positive or negative assessment at this point, is entirely premature. I have no idea whether Appleton or any number of the players will progress - 28 into a 18 match day squad don’t go. So the very nature of the industry says it can’t happen for everybody but how about we stop endlessly pissing on their efforts when half of them have barely settled into the building.
    That was a pleasure to read. I need a lie down now. 
  • edited October 2023

JamesSeed said:
    It is a general feeling, but  we seem to stand off opponents a little too much.
    And this is precisely it. It is the competitive element where you get up close and personal. It is where you need to win most of your individual battles in League 1 and below all before you get to play the beautiful game.

You don’t get to change that culture over night.

—————-

Overall the same challenges existed as with Exeter in midweek (where Hector was sucked out of position). Appleton is intent on getting the team on the front foot, not just in playing in the final third but playing beyond and trying to hurt the opposition back four.

It ee their heroes lose? The point of competition, even for Manchester City, is that on any given day!

Does that resonate as good management and sound economics?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<
    force the change of ethos. There will inevitably be missed steps along the way as he and the players develop a coherent way forward.

The rush to judgement, be it a positive or negative assessment at this point, is entirely premature. I have no idea whether Appleton or any number of the players will progress - 28 into a 18 match day squad don’t go. So the very nature of the industry says it can’t happen for everybody but how about we stop endlessly pissing on their efforts when half of them have barely settled into the building.
    That was a pleasure to read. I need a lie down now. 
    I need the smelling salts. Appealing for folk to be non judgemental too soon, which I entirely agree with, won't happen on here 😉

It's a shame we couldn't make it back to back wins, but a point won rather than two lost from 2-0 down.

The ship appears to be steadying at last? I know that craving stability isn't ambitious, but it's the limit of my expectations for now.  Some want players dropped for making the odd howler. I'm not one.I expect most goals conceded up and down the leagues have defensive error as a contributing factor. 

We won't eliminate mistakes, but the players can improve their understanding of each other with consistent team selection. When did we last have that?

It's a relatively new set up and it'll take time to get right, both on and off the grass.
  • Tell us about your day @Hertsseasider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOOGkw2fgY

CHARLTON 2-2 BLACKPOOL | Poulton-Le-Fylde Seasiders Boat Trip

• Rudders22 said:
    Rhodes has never had much pace. When he was at (was it Huddersfield) he always had a pacey striker with him who used to do all the running for him and pass it to him and let him score. His partner did get a few goals himself. 
    A lot of what makes an instinctive goalscorer is in the brain. Rhodes knew where he needed to be to receive the ball with the best chance of scoring. His brain is more alert than the L1 defenders around him in that position, which is why he's so prolific at this level. 

Watching the EFL highlights this weekend, Jamie Vardy scored a tap in from 2 yards out. An easy finish, but he had to be there to score the goal.
  • Defensive frailties aside I’d like to accentuate on the positives. Our goals were truly a thing of beauty. I’m still salivating over Aneke’s cross for the first and Alfie’s excellent finish. Chucks actually chipped the ball across to Alfie otherwise the incoming Blackpool defender could quite conceivably have blocked the cross. CBT’s laser shot into the top right corner is fast becoming his go to method of scoring goals. Good to see him cut inside something he’s added to his game. 
    Reality aside though if we keep on shipping sloppy goals then the beautiful final third exploits will be somewhat devalued!
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy_Mix said:
    3 points tossed away by unforgivably complacent defenders
    Jordan Rhodes with the freedom of the penalty area despite half a dozen red shirts also in that area - pathetic dismal abrogation of duty
    Don't know if it was Hector or Jones that couldn't be arsed to keep tabs on Rhodes, it doesn't matter.  Given their relative positions, Jones had 2 chances to not be crap cos Rhodes was never out of his sight - admittedly that's predicated on him actually playing with his eyes open.
    He ain't some newbie surprise package nobody's heard of.  He's Jordan naffing Rhodes, of very decent tier 2 career and internationals for Scotland and he was granted all the time and space he needed to pick his spot because neither centre half had the wit or professionalism to even get close to getting in his way.  It's not like JR is a swift tricksy type who dodged and wove and found half a yard, he's an immediately recognisable solidly built and not terribly fast moving 33 year old.
    One of them absolutely had to be close to him and have no excuses as to why not - aside from being way way short of close enough to good enough for their actual job.
    If Hector wasn't taking the blame for the first shambles he came up with another to put it firmly in the shade.  In nigh on 40 years of watching professional football I don't recall a more humiliating blunder.  Beyond comical.  
    We are beginning to look a bit overstaffed in attacking areas but we are as hopelessly ill equipped defensively as at any time since the douchebag dismantled the squad.
    Terrel Thomas playing out of position and the inexperienced Nathan Asiimwe are the only two that don't bring dread upon our otherwise happy and optimistic Curbside cohort.
    We did get 1 point though…
  • JamesSeed said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    3 points tossed away by unforgivably complacent defenders
    Jordan Rhodes with the freedom of the penalty area despite half a dozen red shirts also in that area - pathetic dismal abrogation of duty
    Don't know if it was Hector or Jones that couldn't be arsed to keep tabs on Rhodes, it doesn't matter.  Given their relative positions, Jones had 2 chances to not be crap cos Rhodes was never out of his sight - admittedly that's predicated on him actually playing with his eyes open.
    He ain't some newbie surprise package nobody's heard of.  He's Jordan naffing Rhodes, of very decent tier 2 career and internationals for Scotland and he was granted all the time and space he needed to pick his spot because neither centre half had the wit or professionalism to even get close to getting in his way.  It's not like JR is a swift tricksy type who dodged and wove and found half a yard, he's an immediately recognisable solidly built and not terribly fast moving 33 year old.
    One of them absolutely had to be close to him and have no excuses as to why not - aside from being way way short of close enough to good enough for their actual job.
    If Hector wasn't taking the blame for the first shambles he came up with another to put it firmly in the shade.  In nigh on 40 years of watching professional football I don't recall a more humiliating blunder.  Beyond comical.  
    We are beginning to look a bit overstaffed in attacking areas but we are as hopelessly ill equipped defensively as at any time since the douchebag dismantled the squad.
    Terrel Thomas playing out of position and the inexperienced Nathan Asiimwe are the only two that don't bring dread upon our otherwise happy and optimistic Curbside cohort.
    Bit OTT. In fact way OTT. 
    Especially considering the same player has made an arguably worse error just this season 
  • Apples said post Exeter in his interview on October 3rd. 'If you want to win games, you've got to run hard without the ball - you've got to run really, really hard'.  I think May's goal on Saturday certainly payed testament to that!

Earlier in the same interview he'd expressed how pleased he was with the players running off the ball, but added that as an opposition manager he'd noticed certain players within this group who wasn't prepared to do that. 

Left me wondering if this is part of the story behind the poor culture / bad attitude at Charlton that previous managers had alluded to.  

• edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    Our results so far suggest we’re on course for around 63 points.
    That isn’t enough even for the play offs.
    At what point does expecting or demanding more mean that unreasonable pressure is being heaped on this iteration of the Charlton Athletic regime?
    Speaking personally failing to even make the play offs would be a sickener. Unless of course the Billionaires keep our best players into yet another season at this level, then the quest for 94 points starts all over again.
    I think you're right to state your position because it answers the question. It varies from person to person.

We're all impatient for success, but the failings that have seen us scrabbling around in L1 changing owners, managers and playing staff every five minutes can't be heaped on the current incumbents, and I don't believe we should be looking to shorten those cycles. Only I will know when I've lost patience with them, and I'm not looking at a timeframe with milestones against it to tick off.

First and foremost, I'd be happy for us to start winning more games than we lose. If we can do that, I expect we'll be in with a chance of making the playoffs at the seasons end. I've said before that barring a miraculous turnaround, I don't think automatics are realistic. Did the billionaires made such a public statement of intent? I don't recall it, but it was rash if they did.
  • seth plum said:
    At what point does expecting or demanding more mean that unreasonable pressure is being heaped on this current iteration of the Charlton Athletic regime?
    Speaking personally failing to even make the play offs would be a sickener. Unless of course the Billionaires keep our best players into yet another season at this level, then the quest for 94 points starts all over again.
    What do our results over the last 6 games indicate ?
  • AndyG said:
    seth plum said:
    At what point does expecting or demanding more mean that unreasonable pressure is being heaped on this current iteration of the Charlton Athletic regime?
    What do our results over the last 6 games indicate ?
    That Appleton should be sacked 😉
  • JamesSeed said:

Both Hector and before him, Inniss struggled when they get passes like the one Dobbo gave Hector in this game. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a hospital pass but The Giant CB's at 3rd tier level can't get their feet sorted quick enough when closed down quickly. 

It's frustrating because as against Exeter when Hector has time he can spot a good pass, as when he found May between the lines for his chipped ball for Chuks which hit the crossbar and CBT scored the rebound.

We can't keep on being a charity at the back, make the opposition work harder for their goals.