Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
    I can agree with this regarding Thomas, but we must remember even he is playing LB when his natural position is LCB, Hector and Jones were ok, apart from one mistake that led to their second from Hector, all in all it is a bit of a makeshift defence as a whole really, be a bit better when Edun comes back...hopefully.
  • First game I went to this season, what a cracker.
    Can we get promotion? I don't see why not, Pompey always bottle it just like posh, Bolton and barnsley are not worldbeaters and we are only 4 points off the play offs. The real test is Bolton at home end of October. Beat them and many will start to believe. 
  • Leuth said:
    A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
    I think what was being hinted at was when Hamilton ( I think) kicked TC in the head after they both ended up on the turf following a TC tackle by the AC stand touchline, the ref missed it, and the lino appeared to not want to get involved, the upshot was both booked, although why TC was booked is weird....🙄
    TC went at him with hands raised. Felt like a clear 'yellow apiece' to me. Ref was really good, apparently he's done plenty of Championship games 
    Yep agree, probably retaliation by TC so yellow, but the kick was deliberate, and why TC retaliated in the first place, so could be argued maybe a red missed...🤷‍♂️
  • Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
    He did at the start of the season, and didn't look as commanding as he did today. He did just play 30 mins mind.
  • edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    Great come back to get a point but disappointed to have been in that position to begin with. As said at half time, we were good but unspectacular and they were solid and playing the game well.
    We gifted them the two goals and our subs completely turned the game around, which is where the disappointment comes from.

Special mention for chucks, I like having a good old laugh with the cheat code stuff but he made such an impact and you can just see how desperate he his for a goal. Would keep him on the bench and playing that impact sub role though as there just isn't anyone else who can totally turn a team around like him.

Still plenty of work to do on the defence mind! Hector was great apart from that gift which sums up his season so far, just keeps having a moment in.a game where he forgets he's playing a competitive match 😅

Also, Appleton, hats off, we're playing well, scoring goals and picking up the points. Honestly, don't feel as worried or dejected when going behind as have done under other managers (and squads too) so far we've never looked out of game and even if we don't come back, the fact that we would have had a good go would make it easier to take, unlike the gutless roll over belly tickling we've seen all too often. 

Looking forward to get over for a game!
    Are you saying you WON'T mock me next time I call him a cheat code? 

No 🙂
  • Smithy said:
    Southbank said:
    Leaburn is not a back to goal central striker. He is more of a Lyle Taylor type and needs to roam so he can get the ball to feet in a position to beat the defender.
    Spot on, I said this after the Wycombe game and it was very evident today. His talents are completely wasted there.

Leaburn's last two goals have been when he took up a central position, maybe being a young player he just played poorly and he really isn't a Lyle Taylor type forward who is as comfortable out wide as central.
  • 3-5-2 with CBT at RWB, would see CBT injured in no time. He hasn't got the fitness to do that job. Today's formation is the best way to get the best out of him and he's such an important player. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Still not sure on the formation we are playing. 
    3-5-2 would allow us to get May and Leaburn (or Aneke) as a front 2, and then also have a midfield 3 of Watson, Dobson and Fraser. 

It would mean CBT at wing back but probably a sacrifice worth making when we get the benefit of the other 5 on the pitch in their best roles, and we have no left back so it would reduce the demands on Thomas getting forward 

NO, Corey Blackett-Taylor is on a scoring run and you want him to defend his box 🤷🏻‍♂️
    First game of the season against Orient he was at wing back and look at his average position. If Thomas is at LCB behind him then he doesn’t have to defend much at all. How else do we get Fraser, Watson, Dobson, Blackett-Taylor, Aneke/Leaburn and May all into the team? 

• Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    Still not sure on the formation we are playing. 
    3-5-2 would allow us to get May and Leaburn (or Aneke) as a front 2, and then also have a midfield 3 of Watson, Dobson and Fraser. 

It would mean CBT at wing back but probably a sacrifice worth making when we get the benefit of the other 5 on the pitch in their best roles, and we have no left back so it would reduce the demands on Thomas getting forward 
    CBT IS NOT A WINGBACK. Would leave Thomas even more exposed. How about we play a left back at left back. Radical I know.
    If we had one that would be the answer, but we don’t 
    I can agree with this regarding Thomas, but we must remember even he is playing LB when his natural position is LCB, Hector and Jones were ok, apart from one mistake that led to their second from Hector, all in all it is a bit of a makeshift defence as a whole really, be a bit better when Edun comes back...hopefully.
    Thomas' natural position isn't LCB! Gonna keep saying it until the whole world knows 😂
  • Talal said:
    Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
    Thomas' natural position isn't LCB! Gonna keep saying it until the whole world knows 😂
    What is it then? He’s a right footed centre back with a better than average left foot, so LCB seems like it would be pretty natural to me 
  • I do like how Thomas actually chooses to use his left foot when he could have used his right. It's like he's practising! 
  • edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Talal said:
    Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
    What is it then? He’s a right footed centre back with a better than average left foot, so LCB seems like it would be pretty natural to me 
    Well, RCB. Competent on the left side. But yeah I'll leave it as I care less than I'm coming across. 
  • Talal said:
    Maybe you could enlighten us oh fountain of knowledge, for t'was his own words that spoketh thus...
  • Talal said:
    Maybe you could enlighten us oh fountain of knowledge, for t'was his own words that spoketh thus...
    Ah did Thomas say that was his natural position? If so then he's clearly confused and needs things explaining to him... 

Kidding, I admit defeat. 
  • Leuth said:
    I do like how Thomas actually chooses to use his left foot when he could have used his right. It's like he's practising! 
    It's all very nice and soft. Getting predictable on the ball now and the opposition is just letting it go to him knowing there is likely to be any danger. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Ah did Thomas say that was his natural position? If so then he's clearly confused and needs things explaining to him... 

Kidding, I admit defeat. 

• Miles Leaburn is no Lyle Taylor . He cannot hold onto the ball and pass . Chuks can .
  • edited October 2023
    I've said it so many times.chucks is a championship player if he could stay fit. 

Unreal when fit, such a shame it's only about 5 games a season 
  • IF Aneke can stay as fit as he did in the 2020/21 season then we will make the play offs. He’s not even started scoring yet and is already winning us points every week

It’s a very big IF though