Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Addick_8 said:
    Appletons in game management has been flawless so far. The subs and their timing have been spot on.
    Addick_8 said:
    Appletons in game management has been flawless so far. The subs and their timing have been spot on.
    True but his starting formation once again was all wrong, first half was exactly like tuesday 

back 4 just cluelessly passing it back and forth

changes made the difference, mainly chuks who as I said Tuesday is much more effective off the bench than he is starting 

Alfie is NOT a midfielder and hector needs to learn how to concentrate 
  • ross1 said:
    Jones has been ill this week and has not trained, was tired and came off, not injured thankfully 
    Ah that answers it....I sat near the tunnel and saw him heading down there saying 'I'm about to feel sick".

We should build our defence around him. Not sure Hector is a real L1 CB. I can see how he excelled a level above.
  • Not the right place for it but look at Ipswich go. 8pts clear of second, another thumping win today and 30,000 at Portman Rd. 
    Shows you can slingshot if you get it right at this level. 
  • A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree that I can't see why Tedic is starting out on the right ahead of TC and CC.

Maybe height being the factor, or defensive work rate.
  • Great come back to get a point but disappointed to have been in that position to begin with. As said at half time, we were good but unspectacular and they were solid and playing the game well.
    We gifted them the two goals and our subs completely turned the game around, which is where the disappointment comes from.

Special mention for chucks, I like having a good old laugh with the cheat code stuff but he made such an impact and you can just see how desperate he his for a goal. Would keep him on the bench and playing that impact sub role though as there just isn't anyone else who can totally turn a team around like him.

Still plenty of work to do on the defence mind! Hector was great apart from that gift which sums up his season so far, just keeps having a moment in.a game where he forgets he's playing a competitive match 😅

Also, Appleton, hats off, we're playing well, scoring goals and picking up the points. Honestly, don't feel as worried or dejected when going behind as have done under other managers (and squads too) so far we've never looked out of game and even if we don't come back, the fact that we would have had a good go would make it easier to take, unlike the gutless roll over belly tickling we've seen all too often. 

Looking forward to get over for a game!
  • Getting closer to clicking 
    COYR 
  • After being 2 down getting the two late goals to get the draw made it feel like a win we will take that & look forward to our next game  B)

• I'm generally pretty impressed by Appleton and his achievements thus far, with the minor caveat that whilst we have generally played well, sometimes really well, for parts of every game he's had I.wouldn’t say we've had a game where we played well for the WHOLE game either.

To be fair this is probably because there's not a realistic choice of formation that let's us play all the best players at once. And whilst fitness in general seems better I daresay it could improve further.

But it is frustrating just how variable the quality is.
  • Great come back to get a point but disappointed to have been in that position to begin with. As said at half time, we were good but unspectacular and they were solid and playing the game well.
    We gifted them the two goals and our subs completely turned the game around, which is where the disappointment comes from.

Special mention for chucks, I like having a good old laugh with the cheat code stuff but he made such an impact and you can just see how desperate he his for a goal. Would keep him on the bench and playing that impact sub role though as there just isn't anyone else who can totally turn a team around like him.

Still plenty of work to do on the defence mind! Hector was great apart from that gift which sums up his season so far, just keeps having a moment in.a game where he forgets he's playing a competitive match 😅

Also, Appleton, hats off, we're playing well, scoring goals and picking up the points. Honestly, don't feel as worried or dejected when going behind as have done under other managers (and squads too) so far we've never looked out of game and even if we don't come back, the fact that we would have had a good go would make it easier to take, unlike the gutless roll over belly tickling we've seen all too often. 

Looking forward to get over for a game!
    Are you saying you WON'T mock me next time I call him a cheat code? 
  • Not only does our defence not defend very well but their endless passing along the back line becomes very predictable and it slows our game down. It sets a negative tone to our attacks. It gives the opposition time to regroup and close their ranks so that when we finally get forward we meet an organised defence and spend our time running into blind alleys about thirty yards from goal. For all our possession in the first half we had hardly any actual shots on goal as a result of the plodding forward movement.
  • Still not sure on the formation we are playing. 
    3-5-2 would allow us to get May and Leaburn (or Aneke) as a front 2, and then also have a midfield 3 of Watson, Dobson and Fraser. 

It would mean CBT at wing back but probably a sacrifice worth making when we get the benefit of the other 5 on the pitch in their best roles, and we have no left back so it would reduce the demands on Thomas getting forward 
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
    The Campbell yellow. Defender kicked him in the head. Not savagely but clearly. Especially for the lino, it was right in front of him, and the ref went to ask him. Poor from the lino.
  • Nadou said:
    Not only does our defence not defend very well but their endless passing along the back line becomes very predictable and it slows our game down. It sets a negative tone to our attacks. It gives the opposition time to regroup and close their ranks so that when we finally get forward we meet an organised defence and spend our time running into blind alleys about thirty yards from goal. For all our possession in the first half we had hardly any actual shots on goal as a result of the plodding forward movement.
    When a team sitting back with every one behind the ball you play across the back then to the full backs , then back , then into mid you’d trying to find that gap to play the killer pass .. what do you want them to do lump it forward ? .. they only had one shot in the 36th min and scored we were the only team on the front foot first half looking to win the game 
  • Should be winning our home games if we have serious aspirations towards promotion.

That said to fight back from 2-0 down and pick up a point is commendable. If you can't win make sure you don't lose.
  • edited October 2023
    A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
    I think what was being hinted at was when Hamilton ( I think) kicked TC in the head after they both ended up on the turf following a TC tackle by the AC stand touchline, the ref missed it, and the lino appeared to not want to get involved, the upshot was both booked, although why TC was booked is weird....🙄
  • It was an excellent performance our best of the season , first half we had to be patient we kept the ball well they blocked the flanks so we had to find space in the middle which L Watson and May did . … they scored a good goal CJ Hamilton who we know well created a perfect chance for Rhodes who don’t miss them perhaps a fully fit Jones might just have got there ? second half we dominated really put them under intense pressure .. then Hector just got caught and 0-2 real shame because Hector was outstanding before and after this mistake .. real change was Aneke for Leaburn who had a poor game , everything changed Blackpool had a problem that they never had in the game .. May like Rhodes on the spot again and CBT who had an indifferent game scores a wonder goal .. and really we deserved to go on and win the game 

MOM Aneke  
  • We should start next league game with the team that finished the match - but with Leaburn instead of Chuks (Chuks to come on again as impact sub) - we were so much better with that line up, especially with Fraser - Dobson and Watson together is not creative enough - with Fraser on we looked so much better

Charlton sides of recent seasons would not have come back from 2-0 down - take heart from that ………
    I think what was being hinted at was when Hamilton ( I think) kicked TC in the head after they both ended up on the turf following a TC tackle by the AC stand touchline, the ref missed it, and the lino appeared to not want to get involved, the upshot was both booked, although why TC was booked is weird....🙄
    TC went at him with hands raised. Felt like a clear 'yellow apiece' to me. Ref was really good, apparently he's done plenty of Championship games 
  • Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
  • I don't think the formation is a problem, and I don't think Alfie May does either, three goals and one assist in two games is suiting him. There is also a lot of criticism about the first half but Blackpool came with a game plan to sit deep and hit us on the break, disappointly, the first time they got into our box they scored. There is certainly some work to do on the back four, both full backs were found wanting today and Hector makes another error. The plus for Appleton, is that he has players on the bench who can change things and Fraser, Aneke and Campbell certainly did that.