Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Bailey said:
    I don't think the formation is a problem, and I don't think Alfie May does either, three goals and one assist in two games is suiting him. There is also a lot of criticism about the first half but Blackpool came with a game plan to sit deep and hit us on the break, disappointly, the first time they got into our box they scored. There is certainly some work to do on the back four, both full backs were found wanting today and Hector makes another error. The plus for Appleton, is that he has players on the bench who can change things and Fraser, Aneke and Campbell certainly did that. 
    From the AC stand  my seat was in line with our defence several occasions, and twice I saw simultaneously Hector push forward and Thomas  wasn't looking across and there was an  "pocket" in the middle which was onside with a Blackpool player in it (?Lavery) calling for a pass. Fortunately not found by the ball. As said before by others more communication /alertness needed.
    Personally, I think the problem is we have too many defenders and we’ve yet to have a cohesive unit that’s built an instinctive understanding and awareness. Obviously with our injury track record we need that cover but the flip side is we don’t have that core unit that a promotion winning team needs. I think we have the right players, they just need more game time together.
  • A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
    The Campbell yellow. Defender kicked him in the head. Not savagely but clearly. Especially for the lino, it was right in front of him, and the ref went to ask him. Poor from the lino.
    To be fair, Campbell didn't make anything of it.
  • Corey's strike was like Henry in his prime (not Aaron). Looks like he also had a key contribution in our first goal, with a good tackle and pass to Beastmode.
  • clive said:
    Note our 1st goal is scored from a long punt/clearance downfield. No intricate passing around the back is needed.

Just.get.it.forward.
  • edited October 2023
    We were too passive for much of the game and though generally on top it felt like Blackpool were comfortably managing us, waiting for the inevitable mistakes, which duly came.

Over recent seasons a one goal deficit let alone two would have been insurmountable but this team has goals in it and when they play with purpose they're bloody good going forward. Great performance from Chuks to galvanise everyone around him and the other subs were also generally positive but it's depressing that this team has to stare into the abyss before it can start playing like that.

Btw I thought Chuks looked like he was slimmer (as in carrying less muscle mass) than in previous seasons. Is that part of his new fitness/recovery regime or was it just my imagination?

• Nadou said:
    Not only does our defence not defend very well but their endless passing along the back line becomes very predictable and it slows our game down. It sets a negative tone to our attacks. It gives the opposition time to regroup and close their ranks so that when we finally get forward we meet an organised defence and spend our time running into blind alleys about thirty yards from goal. For all our possession in the first half we had hardly any actual shots on goal as a result of the plodding forward movement.
    When a team sitting back with every one behind the ball you play across the back then to the full backs , then back , then into mid you’d trying to find that gap to play the killer pass .. what do you want them to do lump it forward ? .. they only had one shot in the 36th min and scored we were the only team on the front foot first half looking to win the game 
    Look at our goals. No useless safe, slow, unimaginative passes backwards and forwards across the back four involved. 
  • Watching Tennai Watson for their first goal is making me even angrier. Utterly, utterly pathetic
  • Sponsored links:

• Very interesting and strangely gone unnoticed but who started the move for our second goal with an excellent interception on the edge of our box.… Hector funny how people missed that????
  • NabySarr said:
    Very interesting and strangely gone unnoticed but who started the move for our second goal with an excellent interception on the edge of our box.… Hector funny how people missed that????
    Don’t think anyone is saying he played badly, just that he made a mistake which led to a goal. And not for the first time this season, an experienced centre back can’t be making that many big mistakes 
    Exactly. 
  • mendonca said:
    clive said:
    Note our 1st goal is scored from a long punt/clearance downfield. No intricate passing around the back is needed.

Just.get.it.forward.
    Yes, but it was cleared/punted down the ground to one man who can play like he's 4 men at times.

There's a JRS sized hole on the right.
    Something I mentioned time & again during the summer. We could never replace HIM but we could have recruited someone in that mould. 

Best we currently have is Tyreece Campbell. I thought him & Chuks changed the game yesterday when they came on. 
  • edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Very interesting and strangely gone unnoticed but who started the move for our second goal with an excellent interception on the edge of our box.… Hector funny how people missed that????
    Don’t think anyone is saying he played badly, just that he made a mistake which led to a goal. And not for the first time this season, an experienced centre back can’t be making that many big mistakes 
    Exactly. 
    Whist I agree with the "mistakes can't be made", but the mistake I felt was the pass back from Dobbo, 6 feet away and hit too hard, might have been better to whack into the AC stand and clear with hindsight.
    I thought Hector had an ok game overall...
  • kentred2 said:
    Leuth said:
    Watching Tennai Watson for their first goal is making me even angrier. Utterly, utterly pathetic
    Thought it was Tedic’s man. He just stopped. 
    Look at how Watson ambles around and then waves a leg vaguely at the ball as it goes past him though
  • kentred2 said:
    Leuth said:
    Watching Tennai Watson for their first goal is making me even angrier. Utterly, utterly pathetic
    Just watched it again and I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hector needs dropping now
  • An interesting feature was watching the understanding between Asimwe and Tyreece (and for ten minutes throw Leaburn into that), it was almost retro having seen those guys play together so much in the development years.
  • PWR … Should’ve won it, IMO. Even going 2-0 down in the second half, we had enough chances to have put this to bed. CBT and Chuks had, what I would call guilt edged opportunities. We were caught ball watching for their first goal and Hector made his customary one mistake a game for the second. A good comeback but gutted we didn’t take the 3 points 
  • edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    An interesting feature was watching the understanding between Asimwe and Tyreece (and for ten minutes throw Leaburn into that), it was almost retro having seen those guys play together so much in the development years.
    Agree..
    Was a slightly tricky/funny moment as we chased the winner when Leaburn and TC tackled each other in the area, in their haste to get the ball, which resulted in neither getting it, but the urgency and willing to get stuck in was very evident...
  • kentred2 said:
    Leuth said:
    Just watched it again and I agree.
    If you had to pick the square pegs in a round hole yesterday Tedic and Tennai Watson would be the two. Asiimwe is raw and prone to the odd mistake but by giving an overlapping option he stopped Blackpool getting out. As for Tedic, when we brought him in I thought he might be good in the air, he isn't, then I thought he might be quick, he isn't, not a fixture in the team in my opinion. 
  • Lucas Ness looks a good young defender. Why doesn't he start if the others are so ropey?
    I can agree with this regarding Thomas, but we must remember even he is playing LB when his natural position is LCB, Hector and Jones were ok, apart from one mistake that led to their second from Hector, all in all it is a bit of a makeshift defence as a whole really, be a bit better when Edun comes back...hopefully.
    Edun has shown nothing at Charlton to suggest he's good at defending. 
    He's been very poor. 
    Looked decent coming forward. 
  • edited October 2023