Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• In the first half Blackpool closely man-marked CBT, so he struggled to get into the game. Later he roamed away from the wing and saw more of the ball. Oh what a cracking goal! Thomas is getting some stick but he was defensively sound and at least had a go at attacking. I like L Watsons attacking forays, when he turns quickly aka Gallagher. He is a very promising player. T Watson played better today but was trumped somewhat by Aslimle's marauding skills, who especially linked well with Campbell in his cameo. A bigger crowd with the covered end in great voice at the end. 
    Thomas was at fault for their first. 
    He was marking Rhodes who moved into space & Thomas didn't go with him.
    (Admittedly, Thomas also had a man behind him as well). 
  • edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    An interesting feature was watching the understanding between Asimwe and Tyreece (and for ten minutes throw Leaburn into that), it was almost retro having seen those guys play together so much in the development years.
    Agree..
    Was a slightly tricky/funny moment as we chased the winner when Leaburn and TC tackled each other in the area, in their haste to get the ball, which resulted in neither getting it, but the urgency and willing to get stuck in was very evident...

I find that a real worry as Leaburn was subbed in the 64th minute and I don't want to see our subbed players running back on the field to tackle a Cafc player !
    Slightly picky...obviously I got one of them wrong, but no, you just go ahead and pick holes why don't you,😉... I know ONE of them was Leaburn though...🤷‍♂️
  • We were too passive for much of the game and though generally on top it felt like Blackpool were comfortably managing us, waiting for the inevitable mistakes, which duly came.

Over recent seasons a one goal deficit let alone two would have been insurmountable but this team has goals in it and when they play with purpose they're bloody good going forward. Great performance from Chuks to galvanise everyone around him and the other subs were also generally positive but it's depressing that this team has to stare into the abyss before it can start playing like that.

Btw I thought Chuks looked like he was slimmer (as in carrying less muscle mass) than in previous seasons. Is that part of his new fitness/recovery regime or was it just my imagination?

Agree with all of this & Chucks is definitely slimmer. 
  • edited October 2023
    In the first half Blackpool closely man-marked CBT, so he struggled to get into the game. Later he roamed away from the wing and saw more of the ball. Oh what a cracking goal! Thomas is getting some stick but he was defensively sound and at least had a go at attacking. I like L Watsons attacking forays, when he turns quickly aka Gallagher. He is a very promising player. T Watson played better today but was trumped somewhat by Aslimle's marauding skills, who especially linked well with Campbell in his cameo. A bigger crowd with the covered end in great voice at the end. 
    Agreed and in the phase of play before that he was all over the place. Does a decent enough job as a stand in LB but offers little going forward preferring to pass sideways or backwards lacks pace and has moments of concentration lapses, to be expected I suppose at L1 level.
  • NabySarr said:
    In the first half Blackpool closely man-marked CBT, so he struggled to get into the game. Later he roamed away from the wing and saw more of the ball. Oh what a cracking goal! Thomas is getting some stick but he was defensively sound and at least had a go at attacking. I like L Watsons attacking forays, when he turns quickly aka Gallagher. He is a very promising player. T Watson played better today but was trumped somewhat by Aslimle's marauding skills, who especially linked well with Campbell in his cameo. A bigger crowd with the covered end in great voice at the end. 
    Can’t be asking Thomas to follow the central striker into the middle when he’s got a wide player to worry about. If he did follow him and the wide player scored everyone would be fuming at him (and rightly so!)

It was smart movement from Rhodes but our problem is more about the space being so open. Dobson should be in that yellow area, and he does often go chasing the ball rather than being where he is supposed to be. Look at the player on the edge of the box who is also completely free and would get a free shot at goal had it been cut back there. Dobson is great at winning the ball back and covering every blade of grass, but his positioning and reading of the game isn’t great. Because he’s over on the right, we are left 4v3 for players waiting for the cross. 

We have 4 players over on the right so the first failing is that we don’t stop the cross in a 4v2, but one of Dobson or Watson has to be in that space around the penalty spot and even with that, Jones should probably recognise and read where that danger space is. 

I know he’s the latest scapegoat but it really wasn’t Thomas fault. He maybe could have communicated to Jones earlier that Rhodes was there and passed him on to him, but he’s still probably one of the least to blame for the goal 

I agree with all of that, except that additionally Thomas was with Rhodes ( as you show) and Rhodes moved into space and scored without a challenge because under the circumstances Thomas had to go with him.
  • NabySarr said:
    Can’t be asking Thomas to follow the central striker into the middle when he’s got a wide player to worry about. If he did follow him and the wide player scored everyone would be fuming at him (and rightly so!)

It was smart movement from Rhodes but our problem is more about the space being so open. Dobson should be in that yellow area, and he does often go chasing the ball rather than being where he is supposed to be. Look at the player on the edge of the box who is also completely free and would get a free shot at goal had it been cut back there. Dobson is great at winning the ball back and covering every blade of grass, but his positioning and reading of the game isn’t great. Because he’s over on the right, we are left 4v3 for players waiting for the cross. 

We have 4 players over on the right so the first failing is that we don’t stop the cross in a 4v2, but one of Dobson or Watson has to be in that space around the penalty spot and even with that, Jones should probably recognise and read where that danger space is. 

I know he’s the latest scapegoat but it really wasn’t Thomas fault. He maybe could have communicated to Jones earlier that Rhodes was there and passed him on to him, but he’s still probably one of the least to blame for the goal 

I agree with all of that, except that additionally Thomas was with Rhodes ( as you show) and Rhodes moved into space and scored without a challenge because under the circumstances Thomas had to go with him.
    Possibly but I don’t think there’s anyway he gets there before Rhodes does. Neither Rhodes or the space that Rhodes scored from are really his responsibility. Would say that all of Tedic, Dobson, Watson and Jones are more to blame for the goal than he is 
  • edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

Possibly but I don’t think there’s anyway he gets there before Rhodes does. Neither Rhodes or the space that Rhodes scored from are really his responsibility. Would say that all of Tedic, Dobson, Watson and Jones are more to blame for the goal than he is 
    Rhodes would have got there first of course, but Thomas should have been with him to block the shot. (I agree he was left in a difficult position due to the build up, but you can't let Rhodes run away from you and score so easily, without trying to prevent the goal).
  • edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

You just can’t let a player run off you like that mate. I used to play full back at a decent standard and would have been crucified by my manager if I’d let that happen. His response to your explanation about the player out wide would have been, ‘stuff him you react to the immediate danger’. I agree though we should have dealt with the situation on their left before the ball came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry @NabySarr didn't want to quote your whole post so stole the picture.

If you just freeze that there and ignore what happened before and after, there are 7 players at fault.  Not even sure the keeper is covering himself in glory because he isn't going to get beaten from there at his near post.
  • In his early career he had a fantastic scoring record but that has tailed off the past 7 or 8 years.
    Still has a very good return overall.  A shame we have never signed him.
  • Talal said:
    Don't think Watson would offer much on the left and at least you get the height with Thomas. 
    Wondered why he was there, his height is about the only thing going for him. I’m about four foot wide, stick me in goal maybe?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    I do like how Thomas actually chooses to use his left foot when he could have used his right. It's like he's practising! 
    He’s two footed, I think. 
    Only in the sense he has two feet.
  • Good analysis, our two centre midfielders ended up in the position of right back for the attack!

They outnumbered us on the attack and knew our weakness, but we shouldn't have been drawn towards the ball. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry @NabySarr didn't want to quote your whole post so stole the picture.

If you just freeze that there and ignore what happened before and after, there are 7 players at fault.  Not even sure the keeper is covering himself in glory because he isn't going to get beaten from there at his near post.
    Jones is surely more at fault than Thomas there? He's marking nobody, when Rhodes should surely be his man?

He's been ill, so wasn't at his best understandably.
  • edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry @NabySarr didn't want to quote your whole post so stole the picture.

Jones is surely more at fault than Thomas there? He's marking nobody, when Rhodes should surely be his man?

He's been ill, so wasn't at his best understandably.
    Jones may well have been happy that Thomas was touch tight with Rhodes assuming he was aware of what was behind him. Having said that our defenders seem to have been guilty of ball watching rather than what’s going on around them this season. 

Let’s not take anything away from Rhodes though his movement is excellent and has made a living from his quick thinking in the box, scoring and leaving defenders scratching their heads.
  • In his early career he had a fantastic scoring record but that has tailed off the past 7 or 8 years.
    This is Rhodes first season back in League One since we won it - Still looks far too good for this level, but potentially tailing off as a Championship player now
  • NabySarr said:
    Very interesting and strangely gone unnoticed but who started the move for our second goal with an excellent interception on the edge of our box.… Hector funny how people missed that????
    Don’t think anyone is saying he played badly, just that he made a mistake which led to a goal. And not for the first time this season, an experienced centre back can’t be making that many big mistakes 
    Exactly. 
    Whist I agree with the "mistakes can't be made", but the mistake I felt was the pass back from Dobbo, 6 feet away and hit too hard, might have been better to whack into the AC stand and clear with hindsight.
    I thought Hector had an ok game overall...
    There is a point there, the ball was hit a tad too hard which made it harder to control. I think given that Hector should have hoofed it upfield but players don't seem to want to do that anymore.
  • edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:

Jones should be looking over his shoulder to see who is there. Its basic sunday league stuff. Thomas should really be picking up the player coming in behind him. If he was aware of what was going on he should have shouted to Jones to take Rhodes (who is just about to make a run into the space) and then be ready to intercept the ball before it reaches the player behind him. 

This may well have happened, but it appears not. However, football is a fast moving fluid game & just looking at a still photo doesn't always help in determining who should have done what.

• Sponsored links:

• It is a general feeling, but  we seem to stand off opponents a little too much.
  • Rhodes has never had much pace. When he was at (was it Huddersfield) he always had a pacey striker with him who used to do all the running for him and pass it to him and let him score. His partner did get a few goals himself. 
    This is Rhodes first season back in League One since we won it - Still looks far too good for this level, but potentially tailing off as a Championship player now
    When he was banging them in for Huddersfield I thought would go on and have a great career in the Premier League.

• 1) Has lost his man
    2&3) have been completely taken out the game
    4) has been done 
    5) isn't tight enough and is watching the ball but has to react because of 4's undoing.
    6) No idea what he is doing 
    7) Hasn't reacted quick enough to the man running towards the yellow bit.

Thomas, just out of the edit has a man behind him as well.

If the what happened next was Thomas beating Rhodes to the ball and slicing into his own net he would have gotten pelters.  With all the other 7s fault.

That's really poor defending as a team we ended up with 8 players in our own box, by the time Rhodes shot, and they still scored.
  • NabySarr said:

It’s also what happens when you play four out and out attacking players. 
  • This isn’t a cynical plan to get my lol count up, but I think Hector will soon win fans over. People around me were raving about him yesterday, until the blunder. Was a bit of a hospital pass by Dobbo, but he’ll have to learn to boot the ball anywhere when under pressure. And I think he will. 
  • edited October 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    This isn’t a cynical plan to get my lol count up, but I think Hector will soon win fans over. People around me were raving about him yesterday, until the blunder. Was a bit of a hospital pass by Dobbo, but he’ll have to learn to boot the ball anywhere when under pressure. And I think he will. 
    Me neither but,...
    I think it was Dobbo's responsibility, (he is captain let's not forget), to "boot the ball anywhere" in that position, not pass the buck to the nearest sucker...Hector didn't have time to react, the ball was hit too hard and left him with nowhere to go ...🤷‍♂️
  • JamesSeed said:
    This isn’t a cynical plan to get my lol count up, but I think Hector will soon win fans over. People around me were raving about him yesterday, until the blunder. Was a bit of a hospital pass by Dobbo, but he’ll have to learn to boot the ball anywhere when under pressure. And I think he will. 
    Well yes. But he shouldn't really have to. He's clearly got some quality about him and a pretty impressive body of work, with plenty of experience. Maybe he needs to get into the "attitude" of League One and accept that (at least sometimes) putting your boot right through it is perfectly fine.

It's not the first mistake he's made either which makes it more galling as while he MAY yet learn... he probably should have done so already.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Me neither but,...
    I think it was Dobbo's responsibility, (he is captain let's not forget), to "boot the ball anywhere" in that position, not pass the buck to the nearest sucker...Hector didn't have time to react, the ball was hit too hard and left him with nowhere to go ...🤷‍♂️
    Obviously Dobbo didn't realise that Hector was going to do a poor impersonation of a pro footballer...