Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool: Saturday 7th October 2023 | KO 3:00 PM

Comments

• Centre back, Left back and Right wing have got to be on the shopping list for January
  • We’re very much in our “if only” stage of the Aneke cycle. 
  • CBT doesn't get the ball enough, there's just no service up the left side. Most of our forward movement is up the right, easy to defend.
  • How long is Edun out for? Put him in that side for Thomas and put Campbell in for Tedic and it looks far more balanced.
  • How long is Edun out for? Put him in that side for Thomas and put Campbell in for Tedic and it looks far more balanced.
    Only concern would be that we’d be looking quite small again. Have definitely improved at defending from set pieces with a bit more height in the side recently 
  • edited October 2023
    How long is Edun out for? Put him in that side for Thomas and put Campbell in for Tedic and it looks far more balanced.
    Still weeks away from training. The cabinet will remain at LB for some time.
  • edited October 2023
    mendonca said:
    How long is Edun out for? Put him in that side for Thomas and put Campbell in for Tedic and it looks far more balanced.
    Still weeks away from training. The cabinet will remain at LB for some time.
    Could we try Asiimwe at right back and Watson at left back? I think he’s played there before in his career. Don’t remember him using his left foot much though so maybe not 
  • Don't think Watson would offer much on the left and at least you get the height with Thomas. 
    We got exposed defensively so often with Edun in the side. I’d stick with Thomas for now even if Edun was available. 
  • In the first half Blackpool closely man-marked CBT, so he struggled to get into the game. Later he roamed away from the wing and saw more of the ball. Oh what a cracking goal! Thomas is getting some stick but he was defensively sound and at least had a go at attacking. I like L Watsons attacking forays, when he turns quickly aka Gallagher. He is a very promising player. T Watson played better today but was trumped somewhat by Aslimle's marauding skills, who especially linked well with Campbell in his cameo. A bigger crowd with the covered end in great voice at the end. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Southbank said:
    NabySarr said:
    Still not sure on the formation we are playing. 
    3-5-2 would allow us to get May and Leaburn (or Aneke) as a front 2, and then also have a midfield 3 of Watson, Dobson and Fraser. 

It would mean CBT at wing back but probably a sacrifice worth making when we get the benefit of the other 5 on the pitch in their best roles, and we have no left back so it would reduce the demands on Thomas getting forward 
    CBT IS NOT A WINGBACK. Would leave Thomas even more exposed. How about we play a left back at left back. Radical I know.
    If we had one that would be the answer, but we don’t 

We do have a left footed Left back but as per usual he got injured. Tayo Edun who like most of our new players in the window were either not match fit or had injuries when they signed and then compounded it by getting a new injury ( I assume it was a new injury)

Alfie May was the exception as he is fitter than a butcher's dog.
  • 2 hours to get there today  , fucking rubber necking fuckwit of a population.  Hope whatever it was you slowed down to look at as we entered the QE2 Bridge was worth the 40 minute trickle to it , pricks everyone is …. Fuck oFf and drive .

45 mins to get home northbound through Blackwall tunnel … result 

it’s all mainly been said , so just some was Chuks shot a challenger to Albies top of the Jimmy Seed stand effort probably not but a worthy try 

imagine if we could shoot on target , the law of averages would help increase our XG.

Ness schooled Rhodes 

Good noise from the tangerine fans 

• ross1 said:
    Jones has been ill this week and has not trained, was tired and came off, not injured thankfully 
    Glad to hear that. I thought he was very good again today and was worried he'd picked up an injury.
  • Leuth said:
    I do like how Thomas actually chooses to use his left foot when he could have used his right. It's like he's practising! 
    He’s two footed, I think. 
  • Pwr, at the game etc.

Terrible first half, I'm quite ill but was nearly falling asleep. Their first goal came from nothing. 

Thought when they went up 2 zip we were done for, fortunately Chuks did Chuks things and elevated players around him. 

Take the draw but it wasn't a good performance, personally didn't see an improvement in playstyle from Shrewsbury & Exeter. Main thing I noticed was the lack of midfield control, genuinely think we had too many attacking players on the pitch and reckon Fraser on from kick-off would have helped us keep the ball.

Anyway the draw will do, CBTs goal was unbelievable and perked me up a bit
    There is not a 3 of our mudfielders who are collectively strong/fit enough to impose us on a game. Maybe when Camara comes back...
    Also, Leaburn is neither physical enough nor quick enough to play as a sole striker. Chuks's physicality made our first goal and other chances. Leaburn should either be in a 2 or on the right of a 3, not on his own.
  • A couple of people on the player mark thread have said that the ref missed a red and a player kicked out. When was this please as I dont remember this
    The number three kicked TC in the head, Tc reacted then the number three kicked him again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• No goalkeeper called into action in the first half ,no saves or catches made and it’s 0-1.
    Very poor football during that half. Second half slight improvement but terrible mistake by Charltons defense and it’s 0-2.
    Appleton makes the changes and we score twice.
    Match spoilt for me by Charlton fan in pub while watching The TV he is giving us the score by phone while TV is two minutes behind.
    Appleton is making his job look easy but the football and mistakes is Third Division.
  • All the while we are an accident waiting to happen at the back we will not go anywhere. Jones, to his credit is growing into a good centre half but he is constantly being let down by his mate in Hector. Which is doubly annoying as Hector definitely knows better. We have two fairly inexperienced goalkeepers but I cant blame them for many of the goals conceded, they get criminally exposed. 

I fucked off before we scored, heard the roar as I reached the gate of the covered end and heard the other before I'd reached the hill. Whatever, live and learn but I felt it was one of those games we could play all night and it wasn't going to happen but that will learn me until next time. 

Very impressed with Louie Watson and Dobson excellent as ever, Miles, the game passed him by but still showed touches of class. Alfie May was incredible again. And big Chuks wasn't taking prisoners, and Blackett-Taylor such a threat in this division as ever and reaching the point of ripping it up now he has had a run without injury and has got his eye in 
  • Southbank said:
    Leaburn is not a back to goal central striker. He is more of a Lyle Taylor type and needs to roam so he can get the ball to feet in a position to beat the defender.
    Lyle Taylor had great ability to hold the ball up often keeping the defender at arms length so they couldn't tackle him. And he could do the stuff you refer to.  Leaburn is still work in progress, but he has the best possible advice to coach him.
  • Its all been said - aneke outsanding, t watson disappointing again, hector needs dropping for ness and a commanding leader of a centre half needs buying in the window - meanwhile, apples needs to resolve the formation issues and how we get the most out of the midfield and forward options we have as first half wasn't good enough and blackpool were too comfortable - i think we need to drop the 3 up front formation, get may up top with one other and get another midfielder in there instead - fraser. I think that means 3 5 2 - Edun looks like wing back will suit him and i'd say asimwe on the other side - this leaves t campbell and cbt to fit in - they can job share with the front 2 and the wing backs - want to see us play more through the middle rather than constantly trying to go down the wing - it rarely amounts to anything, certainly in the first half of a game before things open up
  • Bailey said:
    I don't think the formation is a problem, and I don't think Alfie May does either, three goals and one assist in two games is suiting him. There is also a lot of criticism about the first half but Blackpool came with a game plan to sit deep and hit us on the break, disappointly, the first time they got into our box they scored. There is certainly some work to do on the back four, both full backs were found wanting today and Hector makes another error. The plus for Appleton, is that he has players on the bench who can change things and Fraser, Aneke and Campbell certainly did that. 
    From the AC stand  my seat was in line with our defence several occasions, and twice I saw simultaneously Hector push forward and Thomas  wasn't looking across and there was an  "pocket" in the middle which was onside with a Blackpool player in it (?Lavery) calling for a pass. Fortunately not found by the ball. As said before by others more communication /alertness needed.
  • se9addick said:
    We got exposed defensively so often with Edun in the side. I’d stick with Thomas for now even if Edun was available. 
    We get exposed often with Thomas. At least Edun can offer something going forward 
  • clive said:
    Their free header just as stoppage time is announced 🫣
  • Don't think Edun is going to improve things much.