Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup 23/24 Thread

Comments

• Put TV on to watch the second half. The awful Karen Carney is co-commentator so tried watching with commentary on Radio 5. Not only is the TV ten seconds behind the radio but the even worse Clinton Morrison is co-commentator there! Might have to watch in silence 
  • I feel your woe.
  • edited February 27
    There is so much football on, I will turn the sound down especially last night's FA cup match when I was working on a writing project in front of the TV.
    I could see that Ellis Simms from KO, who I noticed at Everton as a talented young Prospect, was too good for Maidstone who must be pleased they don't face his standard in the NLS.

I don't have any issues with current main Commentators unlike many as it's a difficult art speaking live on football but I was one of the few who didn't like listening to John Motson doing commentaries but having a pint or two and talking football would've been great as he was an enthusiastic football geek like myself. That sounds a paradox but...

I have supported women's football since the Amateur days and Lucy Ward, Rachel F-B and Karen Carney have strong Yorky, Lancs, and Brummie accents but nae bother to me.
    Unfortunately because of my sensitive ear drums the main female commentator Robyn Cowen voice is painful when goals are scored ! My Wife screamed in our small kitchen last night when my son creped up on her when standing right next to me. It gave me a buzz but not in a nice way !

When Football has my full attention I need to know the Player's names as the days I knew every player in the old 1st division have long since gone and the pronunciation of the foreign names can be a challenge; a challenge for me at least.
  • Joe Gomez v Joe Aribo on ITV at the moment.
  • available said:
    Joe Gomez v Joe Aribo on ITV at the moment.
    Both playing in central midfield too.
  • edited February 28
    aliwibble said:
    Joe Gomez v Joe Aribo on ITV at the moment.
    Turn the sound off and you can have Nathan Jones on 5 live
  • Southampton do play some nice stuff 
  • edited February 28
    Lewis Koumas, son of Jason, has just scored for Liverpool. Boy do they have some decent youngsters coming through. I hadn't realised until I just read it that Koumas Snr spent nine years at Liverpool until he left for Tranmere at the age of 18.
  • Brighton currently looking like Charlton, loads of possession but only just had their first shot on target on 75 mins. 
  • Conor Gallagher rescues Chelsea again
  • Sponsored links:

• Joe Gomez has had a good game in midfield - broken play up well and his distribution has by no means limited to 10 yard square balls. 
  • Lewis Koumas, son of Jason, has just scored for Liverpool. Boy do they have some decent youngsters coming through. I hadn't realised until I just read it that Koumas Snr spent nine years at Liverpool until he left for Tranmere at the age of 18.
    And Jayden Danns on his third appearance has scored the second 
  • United's George Dobson knock off has just given them a late lead.
  • Joe Gomez has had a good game in midfield - broken play up well and his distribution has by no means limited to 10 yard square balls. 
    Although Ally McCoist keeps complaining about the lack of cover he's given the defence. To be honest, he's made Steve Brown sound "glass three quarters full" on tonight's co-comms.
  • They should play Joe Gomez as a striker, he might finally get a goal!
  • Lewis Koumas, son of Jason, has just scored for Liverpool. Boy do they have some decent youngsters coming through. I hadn't realised until I just read it that Koumas Snr spent nine years at Liverpool until he left for Tranmere at the age of 18.
    And Jayden Danns on his third appearance has scored the second 
    Danns gets another. Liverpool win 3-0 and will face Man United in the QF
  • Quarter final draw:

Wolves v Coventry
    Man U v Liverpool
    Chelsea v Leicester
    Man City v Newcastle

Hard to see past Wolves, Chelsea and City for the semi finals. The United game depends on what lineup Liverpool can put out.

If Liverpool do get through i wonder if we'll see the hot cold and balls brought out for the semi final draw so we get a chance of Klopp v Pep in Klopp's last game in English football.
  • Nice to see Leeds lose…5,000 (?) fans trek down to London and they play in PINK when there was no need to not play in white.
  • Nice to see Leeds lose…5,000 (?) fans trek down to London and they play in PINK when there was no need to not play in white.
    maybe there is contractual reason to wear that kit, like we have to.
  • Sponsored links:

• does seem to be more of these incidents involving fans. 

is it "limbs" or just stupidity 
  • Yes, it was raining Maidstones at Ipswich not long ago.
    Teams have to wear away and third colours a certain amount of times per season i think.

Man City for example have worn their away kit at Bournemouth and Luton in the past week when they didn't need to. We didn't wear our red kit at Derby on Tuesday.
  • does seem to be more of these incidents involving fans. 

is it "limbs" or just stupidity 
    There were a couple of near misses in our game at Reading, with the steep staircase to the top, and fans standing on the stairs. Someone nearly fell down the stairs, and that was a game in which there was little to celebrate...
  • The Emirates FA Cup Quarter Finals have been scheduled on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 March 2024, and the domestic broadcast details for all four ties can also now be confirmed.

Saturday 16 March

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Coventry City at 12.15pm GMT on ITV1, UTV, STV and ITVX

Manchester City v Newcastle United at 5.30pm GMT on BBC One, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport

Sunday 17 March

Chelsea v Leicester City at 12.45pm GMT on BBC One, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport

Manchester United v Liverpool at 3.30pm GMT on ITV1, UTV, STV and ITVX

https://www.thefa.com/news/2024/mar/01/emirates-fa-cup-quarter-final-broadcast-schedule-confirmed-20240103

• clive said:

The Emirates FA Cup Quarter Finals have been scheduled on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 March 2024, and the domestic broadcast details for all four ties can also now be confirmed.

Saturday 16 March

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Coventry City at 12.15pm GMT on ITV1, UTV, STV and ITVX

Manchester City v Newcastle United at 5.30pm GMT on BBC One, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport

Sunday 17 March

https://www.thefa.com/news/2024/mar/01/emirates-fa-cup-quarter-final-broadcast-schedule-confirmed-20240103

Given 17 March is St Patrick’s day, surely the Man Utd v Liverpool game would have been the better choice for an early kick off or better still moved to a different day. 10k+ National Anthem booing scousers fuelled with alcohol on an Irish day of national celebration at a match that’s a tinder box in its own right is just asking for trouble. 
  • Couldn't change to an early kick off as the scousers would still be in bed. You don't want to give them something else to claim victimhood.
  • Simms with one of the misses of the season against Wolves
  • Kasey Palmer has had a nice game. Another one off the production line. Shame we never saw him play for us.
  • clive said:

The Emirates FA Cup Quarter Finals have been scheduled on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 March 2024, and the domestic broadcast details for all four ties can also now be confirmed.

Saturday 16 March

Sunday 17 March

Given 17 March is St Patrick’s day, surely the Man Utd v Liverpool game would have been the better choice for an early kick off or better still moved to a different day. 10k+ National Anthem booing scousers fuelled with alcohol on an Irish day of national celebration at a match that’s a tinder box in its own right is just asking for trouble. 
    What has St Patrick’s Day got to do with it? Liverpool are not a ‘Catholic’ club they were formed by Methodists