Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• Can recommend getting a slow cooker as well. Much cheaper than using an oven and great for casseroles, bolognese etc. 
  • Despite some negative comments on the thread regarding smart meters and the customer usage display screen, I have found it very useful. One thing in particular that is now completely a no brainer for us is using the Air Fryer rather than using the conventional oven. Of course it’s not suitable for everything but for most  of our everyday cooking it’s faster and considerably cheaper. For many things by the time a conventional oven comes up to temperature, the Air Fryer has cooked the food. It’s a significant cost saving over the course of a year. On a personal level not so much about our carbon footprint but paying the energy bill. 
    my air fryer is a game changer, just in the quality of the meals, let alone energy consumption and speed.
    A make and model would be helpful. They get mixed reviews and I trust what the good folk on CL say (well most of 'em 😉)
  • edited September 2023
    Despite some negative comments on the thread regarding smart meters and the customer usage display screen, I have found it very useful. One thing in particular that is now completely a no brainer for us is using the Air Fryer rather than using the conventional oven. Of course it’s not suitable for everything but for most  of our everyday cooking it’s faster and considerably cheaper. For many things by the time a conventional oven comes up to temperature, the Air Fryer has cooked the food. It’s a significant cost saving over the course of a year. On a personal level not so much about our carbon footprint but paying the energy bill. 
    I agree about the air fryer.  We cook loads of stuff in it.  We probably only use the oven once a week or less now.  We just bought a cheap one from B&M - I think it was a tower but can't see a brand on it.
  • Despite some negative comments on the thread regarding smart meters and the customer usage display screen, I have found it very useful. One thing in particular that is now completely a no brainer for us is using the Air Fryer rather than using the conventional oven. Of course it’s not suitable for everything but for most  of our everyday cooking it’s faster and considerably cheaper. For many things by the time a conventional oven comes up to temperature, the Air Fryer has cooked the food. It’s a significant cost saving over the course of a year. On a personal level not so much about our carbon footprint but paying the energy bill. 
    my air fryer is a game changer, just in the quality of the meals, let alone energy consumption and speed.
    Don’t forget the washing too! Much easier than scrubbing down an oven, I basically only use the oven to bake bread now. 
  • edited September 2023
    swordfish said:
    Despite some negative comments on the thread regarding smart meters and the customer usage display screen, I have found it very useful. One thing in particular that is now completely a no brainer for us is using the Air Fryer rather than using the conventional oven. Of course it’s not suitable for everything but for most  of our everyday cooking it’s faster and considerably cheaper. For many things by the time a conventional oven comes up to temperature, the Air Fryer has cooked the food. It’s a significant cost saving over the course of a year. On a personal level not so much about our carbon footprint but paying the energy bill. 
    A make and model would be helpful. They get mixed reviews and I trust what the good folk on CL say (well most of 'em 😉)
    Ninja. Has to be Ninja. 
    https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-air-fryer-max-af160uk-zidAF160UK
    Price has increased since I bought mine. But you get longevity with a Ninja. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    swordfish said:
    Ninja. Has to be Ninja. 
    Not suitable for cooking Mock Turtle Soup I suppose but thanks 👍
  • edited September 2023
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JEEZ! Even I can’t describe the Prime Minister’s new video! <br><br>WATCH IN DISBELIEF &amp; never underestimate just how thick this Government thinks we all are! <a href="https://t.co/pGJILwcXk5">pic.twitter.com/pGJILwcXk5</a></p>&mdash; Peter Stefanovic (@PeterStefanovi2) <a href="">September 21, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • We've a Ninja air fryer, but also some fandango steam/air frying oven, don't ask me how to use either, but can testify the food is great from both.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Ninja Dual 400
  • <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JEEZ! Even I can’t describe the Prime Minister’s new video! <br><br>WATCH IN DISBELIEF &amp; never underestimate just how thick this Government thinks we all are! <a href="https://t.co/pGJILwcXk5">pic.twitter.com/pGJILwcXk5</a></p>&mdash; Peter Stefanovic (@PeterStefanovi2) <a href="">September 21, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    It's absolutely appalling that Rishi Sunak has chosen Climate Change and the environment as his latest attempt to win votes.  We are in such a serious situation already, that that to try to put the idea into the public's heads that we actually have plenty of time to reduce our emissions is unforgivable.  One of the BBC political reporters tied him in knots during an interview earlier in the day, over some of his claims.

Young people who will have to live with the consequences of Climate Change should be up in arms at this shameful attempt to win votes. We are already experiencing the effects of climate change with so many disasters across the world this year and it is only going to accelerate and get very much worse with famine and mass migration never seen on such a scale before
    It was beyond ironic he stood there behind a lectern proclaiming his government is making decisions for the long term...and came out with the biggest load of old populist nonsense aimed exclusively at getting a couple of days worth of favourable headlines and winning over a section of the voting public for the next 12 months.

Then he'll be on the first flight out to LA for the rest of his life.
  • JamesSeed said:
    swordfish said:
    Ninja. Has to be Ninja. 
    And it cuts burglars into little pieces with its katana. 
  • Stig said:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JEEZ! Even I can’t describe the Prime Minister’s new video! <br><br>WATCH IN DISBELIEF &amp; never underestimate just how thick this Government thinks we all are! <a href="https://t.co/pGJILwcXk5">pic.twitter.com/pGJILwcXk5</a></p>&mdash; Peter Stefanovic (@PeterStefanovi2) <a href="">September 21, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    It's absolutely appalling that Rishi Sunak has chosen Climate Change and the environment as his latest attempt to win votes.  We are in such a serious situation already, that that to try to put the idea into the public's heads that we actually have plenty of time to reduce our emissions is unforgivable.  One of the BBC political reporters tied him in knots during an interview earlier in the day, over some of his claims.

Young people who will have to live with the consequences of Climate Change should be up in arms at this shameful attempt to win votes. We are already experiencing the effects of climate change with so many disasters across the world this year and it is only going to accelerate and get very much worse with famine and mass migration never seen on such a scale before
    It was beyond ironic he stood there behind a lectern proclaiming his government is making decisions for the long term...and came out with the biggest load of old populist nonsense aimed exclusively at getting a couple of days worth of favourable headlines and winning over a section of the voting public for the next 12 months.

Is this 'populist' stuff actually having any sort of positive effect? To me it looks so bonkers, it's as if he's completely lost the plot. I can't help but wonder what sort of dysfunctional sludge someone would have to have between their ears for it to be popular with them. Maybe I'm just too dismissive for people to be honest with me, but I've not heard a single person say that they think Sunaks u-turn is a good idea.
    The one U turn that has a small amount of sense is the EPC rating for new tenancies needing to be a C from 2025 and 2028 for existing tenancies. They've known for some while that a large part of the rental housing stock is almost impossible to get to a C, so in an already difficult market losing yet more stock, and potentially a lot of it, is not going to help tenants one little bit.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Rishi Sunak. Gone. 
    To spend more time with his money.
  • N01R4M said:
    This is very interesting and I’d be interested in comments.

https://youtu.be/GhAKMAcmJFg?si=gcvSGsOlkv1c0Kit
    Had not seen this video before, but the issues it raises are all familiar to me.

The 1960s ex-council terrace house where I live in Berkshire has very poor insulation characteristics and is of a design widely used in the area.  I have done all the normal improvements - loft insulation, double glazing - but the only way to improve the front and back walls would be cladding, which is a minefield, and as far as I can see not been undertaken on any of the 100s of houses on the estate! The only position where a heat pump could be fitted would be an inconvenience to me, and well within hearing range of my neighbours - but then I guess we would all be sound-polluting each other!  Thankfully, that will be someone else's problem, along with the many thousands of others living in similar properties.

I am currently renovating my late parents' 1960s house in the north west, with the intention of moving there asap.  This has much better thermal properties, and needed an entire new heating system, but nevertheless I was advised against having a heat pump installed for the sorts of reasons given in the video.  The new gas boiler is certainly more efficient than the old one, so I am at least reducing my carbon footprint.  I cook with electricity, and once I have moved in will investigate the economics of having solar panels on the roof.

Over the years, the efficiency of photovoltaic cells has improved greatly.  I am hoping the same will become true of heat pumps, and that by the time I am forced into that means of heating it will be a viable alternative.  There can be advantages to NOT being an early adopter....
    Solar panels in the north west?
    Wouldn't you be better off with some hydro-electric scheme?  :)
  • edited September 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Rishi Sunak. Gone. 
    To spend more time with his money.
    Which he’s worked very hard to accrue. 
  • Stig said:

Is this 'populist' stuff actually having any sort of positive effect? To me it looks so bonkers, it's as if he's completely lost the plot. I can't help but wonder what sort of dysfunctional sludge someone would have to have between their ears for it to be popular with them. Maybe I'm just too dismissive for people to be honest with me, but I've not heard a single person say that they think Sunaks u-turn is a good idea.
    It's utterly embarrassing, the guff he's come out with, but there is some polling to suggest pushing back the new car ban is something the Tory base in particular is attracted to.

I'm sure they would have run the numbers internally. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fwiw I'd look to bring the date forward 2 years. It's only the sale of new cars afterall. The infrastructure can continue to be rolled out in that time to the same targets. 
  • I watched the Chris Packham program yesterday. It was very thought provoking. We have to keep in mind that these just stop oil people believe they are trying to save the planet. Then we have to ask ourselves whether we believe the planet is in danger. Surely if the answer is yes we should view them from that perspective. And I am saying that having been caught up in a protest on the M25 not too long ago.
  • edited September 2023
    I watched the Chris Packham program yesterday. It was very thought provoking. We have to keep in mind that these just stop oil people believe they are trying to save the planet. Then we have to ask ourselves whether we believe the planet is in danger. Surely if the answer is yes we should view them from that perspective. And I am saying that having been caught up in a protest on the M25 not too long ago.
    It was very thought provoking and one of the main things I took from the programme, was the huge decline in the number of species lost in Chris Packham's lifetime and he is 62. We are wrecking the planet and it must stop.

It's a huge battle to get people to realise just how bad a situation we are now in and we know just from this forum alone, there are so many different views on the best way to educate people. 

It's so sad that children being born today will have to face so many problems caused by human action/inaction on the planet.
  • edited September 2023
    I watched the Chris Packham program yesterday. It was very thought provoking. We have to keep in mind that these just stop oil people believe they are trying to save the planet. Then we have to ask ourselves whether we believe the planet is in danger. Surely if the answer is yes we should view them from that perspective. And I am saying that having been caught up in a protest on the M25 not too long ago.
    It was very thought provoking and one of the main things I took from the programme, was the huge decline in the number of species lost in Chris Packham's lifetime and he is 62. We are wrecking the planet and it must stop.

It's a huge battle to get people to realise just how bad a situation we are now in and we know just from this forum alone, there are so many different views on the best way to educate people. 

It's so sad that children being born today will have to face so many problems caused by human action/inaction on the planet.
    I'm not sure that Packham doing something by way of protest to get himself locked up would serve as a game changer as was suggested by the JSO top man though. His best bet is to continue to use his platform to get the message across. To those with selective hearing who chose to ignore it, the noise of protest must become so deafening that they can't. That's the challenge.
  • edited September 2023
    swordfish said:

I'm not sure that Packham doing something by way of protest to get himself locked up would serve as a game changer as was suggested by the JSO top man though. His best bet is to continue to use his platform to get the message across. To those with selective hearing who chose to ignore it, the noise of protest must become so deafening that they can't. That's the challenge.
    I agree with that. Packham did a lot in that documentary and I felt at the end of it, what a great person he is. Unlike Richard Madeley who tore into him on TV this week. One Packham is worth a thousand Madeleys.
  • Rothko said:
    I agree with a lot of that SHG, I'm less worried about the Chinese weirdly, they see the writing on the wall, and have pivoted hard to renewables, but the US and the oddness of the european right is the thing that is most concerning. 

Don't forget, a lot of the right adore Reagan and Thatcher, but both saw the problems and were early to see the opportunities to change. 
    And i wonder what countries are drip feeding far right stuff into our social media algorithms.. 
  • Much despondency comes from our inability, regardless of reason and blame, to reduce man made CO2 emissions. They're still rising I believe.

Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on initiatives to capture carbon than we're currently seeing. Those measures are less likely to inconvenience our daily lives and might offer more cause for hope . 

It would help if we weren't actively destroying one of the earths natural systems for carbon capture though, as I'm guessing deforestation is still outstripping reforestation.

I'd like to see the focus shift to significantly increasing the CO2 we extract from the atmosphere rather than on reducing what we put in, because let's be honest, we're hopeless at it as a world population and will fail.