Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• Very interesting piece from Radio 4 on Lithium.  Explains the two way ways of extraction and the cost of refining.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qmlh
  • edited September 2023
    Here’s where I am. We’re fucked. There’s no doubt in my mind that we can now  actually see with our own eyes that things are very different to how they were just five years ago. The data regarding ocean temperatures, sea ice, consecutive hot days and record temperature highs are now unequivocally point towards a now predicted rise in global temperatures in excess of the 1.5 degree target required to save ourselves. We have politicians like Peter Lilley prepared to come and look Chris Packham in the eye and defend inaction and deny the overwhelming scientific evidence and opinion. We have the USA likely to nominate a climate denier as the Republican candidate and although unlikely at this point could become President. The Chinese, who produce 50% of all emissions are commissioning a coal fired power station each and every week. At home a Prime Minister prepared to row back on green initiatives purely to secure a few votes. There is no other sound reason. If I’m wrong in my view that we’re fucked then I’d be grateful for some news to cling on to. 
    It's not going to be for everyone but on the subject of China, in particular, and the pivot/huge investment towards renewables going on there Dale Vince spoke about this in The Trawl podcast.

Check out The Trawl Meets: Dale Vince from The Trawl on Amazon Music.
    https://music.amazon.co.uk/podcasts/31c200cb-ee98-4396-8d51-840eac22790b/episodes/9552f1d4-0591-44ca-a6dd-c667cc405790/the-trawl-the-trawl-meets-dale-vince?ref=dm_sh_Cjmx0tai4KBaiZ84sO7cXwK0S

Some of the stats around the scaling up of solar production, green energy use etc., in China are staggering. (About 30 mins in). They're well ahead of the UK in terms of being powered by green electricity, for example 50% versus our own 40%. He also talks around the myth that we can't afford to shift towards more sustainable energy and explains how we could chose to pay for it. 

He's not a scientist I suppose and he might be spinning a pack of lies, I suspect not, but I'd believe him over anything coming out of our government at the moment.
  • Here’s where I am. We’re fucked. There’s no doubt in my mind that we can now  actually see with our own eyes that things are very different to how they were just five years ago. The data regarding ocean temperatures, sea ice, consecutive hot days and record temperature highs are now unequivocally point towards a now predicted rise in global temperatures in excess of the 1.5 degree target required to save ourselves. We have politicians like Peter Lilley prepared to come and look Chris Packham in the eye and defend inaction and deny the overwhelming scientific evidence and opinion. We have the USA likely to nominate a climate denier as the Republican candidate and although unlikely at this point could become President. The Chinese, who produce 50% of all emissions are commissioning a coal fired power station each and every week. At home a Prime Minister prepared to row back on green initiatives purely to secure a few votes. There is no other sound reason. If I’m wrong in my view that we’re fucked then I’d be grateful for some news to cling on to. 
    It's not going to be for everyone but on the subject of China, in particular, and the pivot/huge investment towards renewables going on there Dale Vince spoke about this in The Trawl podcast.

Check out The Trawl Meets: Dale Vince from The Trawl on Amazon Music.
    https://music.amazon.co.uk/podcasts/31c200cb-ee98-4396-8d51-840eac22790b/episodes/9552f1d4-0591-44ca-a6dd-c667cc405790/the-trawl-the-trawl-meets-dale-vince?ref=dm_sh_Cjmx0tai4KBaiZ84sO7cXwK0S

Some of the stats around the scaling up of solar production, green energy use etc., in China are staggering. (About 30 mins in). They're well ahead of the UK in terms of being powered by green electricity, for example 50% versus our own 40%. He also talks around the myth that we can't afford to shift towards more sustainable energy and explains how we could chose to pay for it. 

He's not a scientist I suppose and he might be spinning a pack of lies, I suspect not, but I'd believe him over anything coming out of our government at the moment.
    Perhaps my post when mentioning China sounded directly pejorative and it wasn’t meant to. I know China is the world’s factory and as such it’s to be expected its emissions will reflect that. It’s also good that China are heavily investing in renewables but that doesn’t detract from the fact that a coal fired power station is commissioned every week in China. That’s a staggering amount of week on week, month on month, year on year of additional CO2. Are the Chinese completely offsetting that to the same scale with renewables ? I can’t believe they are. I also think, although I’m willing to be educated that the worlds total emissions are still increasing ? Nothing I read or see gives me confidence to think we can pull this back. Not a single thing. 
  • Chunes said:
    Here’s where I am. We’re fucked. There’s no doubt in my mind that we can now  actually see with our own eyes that things are very different to how they were just five years ago. The data regarding ocean temperatures, sea ice, consecutive hot days and record temperature highs are now unequivocally point towards a now predicted rise in global temperatures in excess of the 1.5 degree target required to save ourselves. We have politicians like Peter Lilley prepared to come and look Chris Packham in the eye and defend inaction and deny the overwhelming scientific evidence and opinion. We have the USA likely to nominate a climate denier as the Republican candidate and although unlikely at this point could become President. The Chinese, who produce 50% of all emissions are commissioning a coal fired power station each and every week. At home a Prime Minister prepared to row back on green initiatives purely to secure a few votes. There is no other sound reason. If I’m wrong in my view that we’re fucked then I’d be grateful for some news to cling on to. 
    This is exactly how I feel. So worried for the world my kids will grow up in. Who would want to be in this new generation? I wouldn't. 

People are playing silly games for their own power and personal gain while the planet is going up in smoke. It's sickening and it's not going to change. 
    Just tell your kids to be homeless and get a second job, should sort it all out.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:
    This is exactly how I feel. So worried for the world my kids will grow up in. Who would want to be in this new generation? I wouldn't. 

People are playing silly games for their own power and personal gain while the planet is going up in smoke. It's sickening and it's not going to change. 
    The only thing that might help would be a green/left takeover globally. Authoritarian. Strict rules until the mess is sorted. War footing. 
    To the pearl clutchers, sorry, can’t see any other way. The right will never do anything. Voluntary action won’t work. 
    And yet you’ll still get 33% of the population voting Tory at the next election. 
    The only thing?

On the basis that this is never happening for a million and one reasons, then why bother doing anything?   

Keep it realistic to engage the sceptics.  
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

The only thing that might help would be a green/left takeover globally. Authoritarian. Strict rules until the mess is sorted. War footing. 
    To the pearl clutchers, sorry, can’t see any other way. The right will never do anything. Voluntary action won’t work. 
    And yet you’ll still get 33% of the population voting Tory at the next election. 
    The only thing?

On the basis that this is never happening for a million and one reasons, then why bother doing anything?   

Keep it realistic to engage the sceptics.  
    sceptic of what?
  • The dystopian apocalyptic outlook that seems to carry some favour on this thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The dystopian apocalyptic outlook that seems to carry some favour on this thread. 
    It's literally the scientific modelling, if you've got concrete proof it won't be the case, please post it, and please submit it for a nobel prize.
  • "Literally the scientific modelling". 

You go first.
    This is a good start

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/07/2c-global-warming-difference-explained/
    This is a good start

Very serious, I agree.

Is the only resolution "a green/left takeover globally. Authoritarian. Strict rules until the mess is sorted. War footing" or can we drive change, resolution and / or adaption (as we undoubtedly will need to) through changing behaviours, driving science and tech harder through investment, and through the actions of governments worldwide, democratically elected or otherwise? 
    This is a good start

Very serious, I agree.

Is the only resolution "a green/left takeover globally. Authoritarian. Strict rules until the mess is sorted. War footing" or can we drive change, resolution and / or adaption (as we undoubtedly will need to) through changing behaviours, driving science and tech harder through investment, and through the actions of governments worldwide, democratically elected or otherwise? 
    We definitely need to do as you suggest, but we have Governments like the one we currently have in the UK, where chasing votes is more important than actually being truthful with the public about the effects of Climate Change. Kicking the can down the line has been taking place for too long and real change needs to start now, we can't keep putting it off. 

• edited September 2023
    The dystopian apocalyptic outlook that seems to carry some favour on this thread. 
    This is a good start

Very serious, I agree.

The crisis is with us already. I'm not sure how much time you think we have to sort it out, but the scientists believe that a 1.5 degree increase in global temperature is a tipping point and we've reached it already according to many.

The approach you suggest is the adult and sensible way of addressing the issue and one open to take at any point, but a look at the graphs of rising C02 emissions and temperatures will tell you how that approach is doing so far in solving the crisis. We have the know how. We have the technology. We don't have the collective will power.

So I 100% agree that we need "a green/left takeover globally. Authoritarian. Strict rules until the mess is sorted. War footing" approach to be imposed. I also agree with you that there is 0% chance of that happening, which is why I believe we'll continue on the path to oblivion. I know how bad that sounds, but it's my honest opinion based on my understanding of human nature.

This is a good start

Very serious, I agree.

We definitely need to do as you suggest, but we have Governments like the one we currently have in the UK, where chasing votes is more important than actually being truthful with the public about the effects of Climate Change. Kicking the can down the line has been taking place for too long and real change needs to start now, we can't keep putting it off. 

Government is part of the equation - business, industry and personal change are equally important. I have to say that I'm more optimistic than some on here in our ability to mitigate, change and adapt. I don't believe that we are all doomed and that the world is going to hell in a handcart. Targets will continue to be agreed, set, achieved (and missed), but the process will deliver a more sustainable approach to the long term development of economic progress and social mobility across the world. It will still be a shitty world in some places and for many millions of people because of the impact of religious tension and / or corrupt undemocratic government, compounded by historic inequalities, but that is society, not climate. 

Kent assumed I was a sceptic because I don't go along with the dystopian view. He / she was wrong.
  • edited September 2023
    The dystopian apocalyptic outlook that seems to carry some favour on this thread. 
    This is a good start

Very serious, I agree.

Government is part of the equation - business, industry and personal change are equally important. I have to say that I'm more optimistic than some on here in our ability to mitigate, change and adapt. I don't believe that we are all doomed and that the world is going to hell in a handcart. Targets will continue to be agreed, set, achieved (and missed), but the process will deliver a more sustainable approach to the long term development of economic progress and social mobility across the world. It will still be a shitty world in some places and for many millions of people because of the impact of religious tension and / or corrupt undemocratic government, compounded by historic inequalities, but that is society, not climate. 

Kent assumed I was a sceptic because I don't go along with the dystopian view. He / she was wrong.
    Many countries will be unable to support agriculture due to climate change so there will be mass migration towards the more temperate countries. The migration that we see now will be nothing compared to what will happen in the years to come.

Nature is unable to adapt quickly enough to changing temperatures.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

Wow. It's....comforting to hear somebody else say it. This has been my position since I got into this stuff in the 90s. It has been pretty isolating - lefty liberal mates don't wanna hear it and neither do capitalism embracing ones... 

For me...it's obviously the only route to survival (barring a break through with nuclear fusion or some such mad tech)
  • swordfish said:
    It's not too late yet. The human race can be saved. There is hope. 
    I admire your optimism, but there's an increasingly large number, myself included, who don't share it. That is a huge problem in itself, humans having gone from ignorance and denial to realization and acceptance, many having now progressed into defeatism, action to combat it considered futile.

Measures to slow the effects need to be imposed on us now because relying on us to make voluntary decisions where we all do a little will achieve just that, a little.

However, how do humans respond to having others telling them what they can and can't do in your experience? It's in our nature to destroy ourselves, and I believe we will.
    I meant scientifically. Factually. It's not too late....yet...

The human race still has a chance to survive 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2023
    swordfish said:
    It's not too late yet. The human race can be saved. There is hope. 
    I admire your optimism, but there's an increasingly large number, myself included, who don't share it. That is a huge problem in itself, humans having gone from ignorance and denial to realization and acceptance, many having now progressed into defeatism, action to combat it considered futile.

Measures to slow the effects need to be imposed on us now because relying on us to make voluntary decisions where we all do a little will achieve just that, a little.

However, how do humans respond to having others telling them what they can and can't do in your experience? It's in our nature to destroy ourselves, and I believe we will.
    I meant scientifically. Factually. It's not too late....yet...

The human race still has a chance to survive 
    The human race will only survive if it recognises its interdependence with other species and nature as a whole. Otherwise its a few wealthy people in bunkers til they run out of tinned food. Then the planet can start to recover from what is now looking like a 10 thousand year anomaly.

But in the meantime air fryers are "game changers".
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chunes said:

The point is entirely accurate and is exactly why we're fucked, there won't be a government elected that's willing to force the necessary changes and too many in society, like you and me, are simply not willing to make the sacrifices on our own.

Sadly, we're fucked and I see no way around that.
  • edited September 2023

We are where we are!

And I'm not sure it's that different to where we were projected to be five or ten years ago? Except nobody expected 55 Tufton St to actually control the UK government via Truss - shame they crashed the economy in just three weeks!

There's a binary choice ahead and we will either see the politicians in the 🇺🇸 🇪🇺 🇨🇳 and 🇮🇳 lead us into net zero, or not. Given that three of those four are democracies, their electorates will either support a net zero approach, or the agendas pushed by oil giants and climate change deniers. 

And the UK that once led on these type of discussions will continue to be irrelevant! Albeit an experimental playground for the likes of 55 Tufton Street to explore free market ideology. 

We are where we are!

And I'm not sure it's that different to where we were projected to be five or ten years ago?

There's a binary choice ahead and we will either see the politicians in the 🇺🇸 🇪🇺 🇨🇳 and 🇮🇳 lead us into net zero or not. Given that there are democracies in three of those four, the electorate will either support a net zero approach or the oil giants and climate change deniers. 

And the UK that once led on these type of discussions will continue to be irrelevant! 
    Watched the Packham documentary where he described witnessing first hand the corruption that plagues democratic processes surrounding this important issue -

UN gathering of nations to agree legally binding targets and policies.... reps from Oil companies paid some nations to get them in the room so they could go around making deals to swing things in their favour.... can democracy deliver what we need? I hope so.... if not, what? Popular uprisings? Might happen yet 

Really recommend the documentary if you haven't seen it yet

We are where we are!

And I'm not sure it's that different to where we were projected to be five or ten years ago?

There's a binary choice ahead and we will either see the politicians in the 🇺🇸 🇪🇺 🇨🇳 and 🇮🇳 lead us into net zero or not. Given that there are democracies in three of those four, the electorate will either support a net zero approach or the oil giants and climate change deniers. 

And the UK that once led on these type of discussions will continue to be irrelevant! 
    Unfortunately the oil giants and climate change deniers have a lot of power through the media and their support for parties like the Tories. No serious Government would even consider opening up new oil fields when the climate crisis is so serious, for them it is make hay whilst the sun shines (no pun intended). 
  • We hack, we burn, we dig, we drill,
    We use up earths resources,
    Dump our refuse in landfill.

Wordsworth f***ing nowhere!
    'Ave it! 😉

We are where we are!

Unfortunately the oil giants and climate change deniers have a lot of power through the media and their support for parties like the Tories. No serious Government would even consider opening up new oil fields when the climate crisis is so serious, for them it is make hay whilst the sun shines (no pun intended). 
    If the alternative is mass power cuts, what should we do?
  • edited September 2023
    MrWalker said:

We are where we are!

You're saying without new oil fields there will be mass power cuts? What's the reasoning and evidence for this?
  • Chunes said:
    MrWalker said:

We are where we are!

You're saying without new oil fields there will be mass power cuts? What's the reasoning and evidence for this?
    We'll know for sure soon enough if Labour honour their environmental pledges won't we? They must believe there won't be mass power cuts and that this new coal and oil exploration isn't necessary. Most of it's to serve the export rather than domestic  market is my understanding.
  • MrWalker said:

We are where we are!

New oil and gas fields will takes years to come onstream, by which time we should have had a huge investment in renewable forms of energy. It's going to cost money to set up those renewable industries and it should be paid out of taxation initially, with those who earn the most, paying more. If people are employed in the new industries with well paid jobs, that money will go back to the exchequer as those people will have more to spend and the income tax take will be higher. The economy will be boosted by a drive to renewables.

There are millions of roofs in the country, they should be used to hold solar panels, it crazy not to make it a legal requirement for all suitable newbuilds to have solar panels fitted.

The only people to benefit from opening up new oil and gas fields will be the fossil fuel barons, it won't provide security for the UK as the oil and gas will be sold at market rate.