Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• We'll said, James Seed.
  • Packham prog last night interesting.

Politician saying press focusing on news stories making it seem like the effects of climate change we're seeing are worse than they are. A bit contentious that isn't it as we're seeing them aren't we!? The media are reporting them. Well, what else should they do? Take a view that if not too many people die in environmental disasters, they shouldn't report it so as not to panic people?

You couldn't make it up, but they do. 😟
  • Sorry, who makes what up?
  • Was it Lilley? Playing the nothing to see here card. A few hotter days every year and not as bad as the press are making out, or words to that effect he used. What about the overwhelming scientific evidence, and that of our own eyes, unless we're watching fake news of course.
  • So much to be done and so little time. Our homes are woefully inadequate as a national housing stock in terms of being energy efficient. In fact they are the poorest in Europe. There needs to be energy efficiency grants available to pretty much everyone regardless of income. Loft insulation, boiler replacement (for now) cavity wall and external wall insulation, heat pumps, window replacement. Not every home will need help or every option but many will. It would reduce the national energy consumption and be a huge national economic uplift for manufacturers, suppliers and installers creating hundreds of thousands of jobs. Where will the money come from ? That’s the job of politicians but it’s not like we have an option. Raise it through tax but revenues in tax will increase due to the scale of the enterprise. Something has to be done. Doing nothing is not an option. 
  • This is very interesting and I’d be interested in comments.

https://youtu.be/GhAKMAcmJFg?si=gcvSGsOlkv1c0Kit
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.
    Don't fall into the trap of old v young.

It's a bit like blaming immigrants for everything. 

Or the North ,South divide.

The real enemy is the super rich who avoid  paying anywhere near what they should be contributing. 
    Hence 3%  of the population owning about 97%  of  the wealth. 

Politicians from all the major parties are to blame for this as nothing ever seems to get done to produce a more level playing field. 

know your enemies It's not old v young.
    A lot of the "right we've fucked it for you, but were all in this together right? Anyways I wont be about for much longer.
    You seem very angry, but from where I'm sitting the generation below me has already taken over. 

There seems little improvement in this old world to me.  There are currently 32 wars raging, women are still suppressed and treated as second class beings in many countries, crime figures are up everywhere and there is enough spite and malice passed through the internet to fill up thousands of data servers worldwide. 

By and large countries across the world are doing a bit towards climate change, it isn't enough of course, it never is, but the bottom line is money and power.  Hope you manage to change that.  It is a right of passage as a man in your 20s to want that of course - I know I did!  

Rishi Sunak is 43 years old - I'd guess a bit closer to your generation than mine. I sincerely hope that you and your compatriots can solve all these problems and make this World a better place.  Forgive me if I don't hold my breath though.  

So this reply has totally proven my point, thanks. 
  • edited September 2023
    MrWalker said:
    Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.
    Find a generation who has done more than ours then.
    As a late 40's taxpayer who has contributed more to alternative energy, which group has done more to fight climate change.

Easy to slag off others, but solar farms, wind, wave, tidal energy has been funded by me, not you.

Your tax contributions have done less than mine to combat climate change. Get off your shitty high horse.

Hoe many trees have you planted on the land you have bought with your earnings?

What the shitty fuck have you done?

Inherited your mess mate, thanks for that! High horse haha, jog on son.
  • Stig said:
    MrWalker said:
    Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.
    As a late 40's taxpayer who has contributed more to alternative energy, which group has done more to fight climate change.

Easy to slag off others, but solar farms, wind, wave, tidal energy has been funded by me, not you.

Your tax contributions have done less than mine to combat climate change. Get off your shitty high horse.

You OK, hun?

I think Stig was replying to MrWalker rather than you 
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    MrWalker said:

Bit OTT mate. Don’t get this thread shut down. 

Not over the top - spot on.

This whole "your generation has ruined it for mine" narrative is nonsense on stilts. Every generation lives to the tune of its time. No-one has a crystal ball, including the "younger" generation.
    No one has a crystal ball? We’ve been warned about this stuff since the 1960s. 
    But it was more a comment on the unnecessarily aggressive tone. We don’t need insults to make a point, which is what gets so many threads shut down. 
    Glad to see some sense on this thread, loving the whole "I've paid more takes than you have" narrative. They obviously didn't take the time to educate them selves back then and clearly haven't now.
  • edited September 2023
    Stig said:
    MrWalker said:

You OK, hun?

I meant to reply to the original comment ffs, pure anger took over in my reply. My apologies, Stig!
  • So air source heat pumps really are shite. 

Heated jackets, here I come! 
  • Stig said:
    MrWalker said:

You OK, hun?

I meant to reply to the original comment ffs, pure anger took over in my reply. My apologies, Stig!
    I think you are right to be angry.  I think indiscriminately blaming a whole generation is a mistake at least and ageist crap at worst.
  • Stig said:
    MrWalker said:

You OK, hun?

I think you are right to be angry.  I think indiscriminately blaming a whole generation is a mistake at least and ageist crap at worst.
    Still not got the bottle?
  • MrWalker said:

is it a full moon or something? Lots of wildly mad takes on here the past couple of days in here and the landlord thread.
  • Stig said:
    MrWalker said:

You OK, hun?

world is on fire but your hurt feelings are more important. Ok sir. 
  • Sponsored links:

• No 2030 ban, but will still fine car companies who don't sell enough EVs, as ever these things fall apart with contact with reality 

https://x.com/PickardJE/status/1704738656903180711?s=20 
  • edited September 2023
    Stig said:
    MrWalker said:

You OK, hun?

world is on fire but your hurt feelings are more important. Ok sir. 
    Very good.
  • edited September 2023

Had not seen this video before, but the issues it raises are all familiar to me.

The 1960s ex-council terrace house where I live in Berkshire has very poor insulation characteristics and is of a design widely used in the area.  I have done all the normal improvements - loft insulation, double glazing - but the only way to improve the front and back walls would be cladding, which is a minefield, and as far as I can see not been undertaken on any of the 100s of houses on the estate! The only position where a heat pump could be fitted would be an inconvenience to me, and well within hearing range of my neighbours - but then I guess we would all be sound-polluting each other!  Thankfully, that will be someone else's problem, along with the many thousands of others living in similar properties.

I am currently renovating my late parents' 1960s house in the north west, with the intention of moving there asap.  This has much better thermal properties, and needed an entire new heating system, but nevertheless I was advised against having a heat pump installed for the sorts of reasons given in the video.  The new gas boiler is certainly more efficient than the old one, so I am at least reducing my carbon footprint.  I cook with electricity, and once I have moved in will investigate the economics of having solar panels on the roof.

Over the years, the efficiency of photovoltaic cells has improved greatly.  I am hoping the same will become true of heat pumps, and that by the time I am forced into that means of heating it will be a viable alternative.  There can be advantages to NOT being an early adopter....
  • Labour have come out and said they will reverse the change, considering they're almost certainly going to win the election, car manufacturers still have to aim for 2030. This is just sunak trying to create some wedge issues in a vain attempt to get as many votes as he possibly can in the next election - damage control.
    I think we’ll see a whole range of fairly controversial proposals brought forward between now and the GE to create as many differences between the Tories and Labour as possible and that will be designed to appeal to and shore up their natural voter base. I think yesterday’s announcement will in fact alienate as many Tories as it wins over but there will be proposals on law and order and on immigration that will be their election flagship. At present it appears that the Tories are being swept along by events and not in control of them. They need to grasp the agenda.

An advert for Mainline Menswear? 
  • Despite some negative comments on the thread regarding smart meters and the customer usage display screen, I have found it very useful. One thing in particular that is now completely a no brainer for us is using the Air Fryer rather than using the conventional oven. Of course it’s not suitable for everything but for most  of our everyday cooking it’s faster and considerably cheaper. For many things by the time a conventional oven comes up to temperature, the Air Fryer has cooked the food. It’s a significant cost saving over the course of a year. On a personal level not so much about our carbon footprint but paying the energy bill. 
    my air fryer is a game changer, just in the quality of the meals, let alone energy consumption and speed.