Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Climate Emergency

Comments

• Rothko said:
    and China is becoming a leader in EVs, and the more fucking around governments in the west do, the bigger that Chinese advantage will become 
    and this comes days after some one in parliament has been arrested for being a chinese spy... Tinfoil hat time.
  • N01R4M said:
    This I know is a incredibly stupid and naive thought... 

we have freezers that can produce ice and keep Ice. Could we not stick a large freezer in the arctic ocean (paid for by the oil and gas companies) to make the ocean cooler thus creating or sustaining the ice and keeping the waters temperature down. 

One problem (after the thousand others) how would you run the freezer? Need a lot of electricity...
    Freezers don't "destroy" heat energy; they just move it from one place (the food inside) to somewhere else (the air in your kitchen), plus some extra heat derived from the electricity used to run it.  (Basic laws of thermodynamics.)  Your freezer actually warms your kitchen up - and would even if you left the freezer door open! - because of the energy used to run it.  On most free-standing fridge-freezers, you can see the black radiator panel on the back.

So where do you propose the heat extracted from the ocean by your giant freezer should be vented?  Into the atmosphere, where it will be trapped by the raised levels of carbon dioxide mankind has created?  Plus, of course the extra energy from running it?  Your "solution", even if you do solve the thousand other problems, would actually make the situation worse!
    fair enough. just a suggestion. 
  • There's zero mandate for this big change on climate policy. It's something that the electorate has repeatedly voted for. A really bad political misstep by sunak imo.
    Politically, it's closer to astute, because it will produce a small, temporary bounce in the polls and give campaigners a narrative on which to cling. 

Longer term, it's divisive (intentionally) and destructive. It's a wedge, in the traditional sense, ie between the right and left. However it's so harmful, short-term and hard to defend, it (literally) cannot be a sustainable position. 

What's surprising to me is that it goes some way towards destroying what little chance Sunak had of leaving a legacy. He may be gone from politics for good in 2024, and more than a decade later, we'll be hoovering up foreign made petrol guzzlers. 

Tit. 
  • edited September 2023
    Rothko said:
    and China is becoming a leader in EVs, and the more fucking around governments in the west do, the bigger that Chinese advantage will become 
    The demand for EV's is set to outstrip supply if it isn't already (I'm talking globally) Can't just magic the lithium for the batteries out of thin air. How much does it cost to extract in terms of energy and human resources? How much energy is used up in making hydrogen powered vehicles?

Although EV's and hydrogen powered vehicles are more energy efficient, is making them? Have to manage it so that the energy savings actually exceed what's needed to produce them, otherwise the medicine might worsen the patients condition.
  • swordfish said:
    Rothko said:
    The demand for EV's is set to outstrip supply if it isn't already (I'm talking globally) Can't just magic the lithium for the batteries out of thin air. How much does it cost to extract in terms of energy and human resources? How much energy is used up in making hydrogen powered vehicles?

Although EV's and hydrogen powered vehicles are more energy efficient, is making them? Have to manage it so that the energy savings actually exceed what's needed to produce them, otherwise the medicine might worsen the patients condition.
    my guess/hope is that the wheels of capitalism churn away and a much more efficient, kinder to the planet and easier to create battery would be created, especially as demand is outstretching supply. 
  • edited September 2023
    There is a risk we could lose car manufacturers. Unbelievable this has been announced without consulting them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably won't last long as a policy. Just long enough to be damaging to the UK position in automotive, renewables etc. 
  • Probably won't last long as a policy. Just long enough to be damaging to the UK position in automotive, renewables etc. 
    the old chuck a grenade back into the house just before you leave.
  • Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.
    Don't fall into the trap of old v young.

It's a bit like blaming immigrants for everything. 

Or the North ,South divide.

The real enemy is the super rich who avoid  paying anywhere near what they should be contributing. 
    Hence 3%  of the population owning about 97%  of  the wealth. 

Politicians from all the major parties are to blame for this as nothing ever seems to get done to produce a more level playing field. 

know your enemies It's not old v young.
    Yet figures clearly show the older generation as strong pro conservative voters, in which no effort has been made to combat the nations effect on climate change.
  • Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.

The real enemy is the super rich who avoid  paying anywhere near what they should be contributing. 

Politicians from all the major parties are to blame for this as nothing ever seems to get done to produce a more level playing field. 

A lot of the "right we've fucked it for you, but were all in this together right? Anyways I wont be about for much longer.
  • anyway, another day where a politician who's only big electoral test was being beaten by Liz Truss is shown to be shit at politics. 
  • se9addick said:
    It’s crazy that a marginal by-election win in Uxbridge has prompted a massive u-turn on Tory party policy. 
    Yeah the over reading of a close win in a seat Labour haven't won in a couple of generations, when they got walloped in Selby is some amazing reach 

A lot of the "right we've fucked it for you, but were all in this together right? Anyways I wont be about for much longer.
    I doubt the Tories will be in power after the next election. 
    Let's see how Starmer attempts to deal with things. 
    I have never voted Tory btw.
  • se9addick said:
    It’s crazy that a marginal by-election win in Uxbridge has prompted a massive u-turn on Tory party policy. 
    Putting the party in front of the environment. 
    No surprise there.
  • There's zero mandate for this big change on climate policy. It's something that the electorate has repeatedly voted for. A really bad political misstep by sunak imo.
    It’s a bit like Trump getting more extreme to appeal to his hardcore MAGA base, while forgetting that elections, especially in America, are won by getting the centre ground to swing over to you. 
  • Sponsored links:

Yet figures clearly show the older generation as strong pro conservative voters, in which no effort has been made to combat the nations effect on climate change.
    Untrue to say no effort, but not enough. 

I actually wonder if all COP delegates should be under a certain age, only those for whom the devastating effects of climate change will seriously impair their lives.

Too many of the deniers, the nimbys, the self serving on the payroll of the oil companies, and the "don't care coz I won't be here brigade" are driving the effort to deal with climate change through token gestures.

We live in a world where oil companies have the audacity to proudly boast about their efforts to be environmentally friendly because they use eco friendly paint on their oil tankers. It beggars belief.
  • Johnson has just voiced his vehement opposition to sunak's change. This is all sunak vs johnson, screw the rest of us. 

• Right now: 
  • Right, literally one of the worst cities in the country for pollution, vast amounts of China are significantly better than that. I can’t remember the last time I saw Kunming at +40
  • edited September 2023
    cabbles said:
    It’s all quite depressing imo.  The most frustrating

Things like JSO and Ulez don’t help, because it detracts from the core focus of saving the planet.  JSO because the lengths they go to piss people off and lessen the chance they will engage, and Ulez because it was very badly executed and thought through and now it’s become a tool for the Tories to use, just
    I think that’s less true than you might think. 

Plurality of Londoners Support Expanding London’s Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ)
    July 13, 2023 
    R&WS Research Team

‘Londoners view the ULEZ in a similar way as the congestion charge. 58% say they support the existence of the ULEZ in London, while 24% say they are opposed.’

‘Support for expanding the ULEZ is slightly higher than is the case with the Congestion Charge, with a larger plurality (47%) coming out in support of expanding the zone and 32% opposed to the idea.’

When you consider the well organised campaign against ULEZ those figure might seem surprising. 
    I suspect as with the congestion charge the number supporting ULEZ will grow as people adapt to it. 
    It also shows that politicians can make a small difference in the fight against climate change. 
    The mayor’s team didn’t handle the PR campaign at all well, and the implementation was clumsy and hurried. I expect that’s because he didn’t want the launch to be close to the date of the election. Unless there a post ULEZ backlash I think his polling numbers will probably improve next year, if they can show ULEZ is improving the air and reducing harmful emissions. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    It’s all quite depressing imo.  The most frustrating

Things like JSO and Ulez don’t help, because it detracts from the core focus of saving the planet.  JSO because the lengths they go to piss people off and lessen the chance they will engage, and Ulez because it was very badly executed and thought through and now it’s become a tool for the Tories to use, just
    I think that’s less true than you might think. 

Plurality of Londoners Support Expanding London’s Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ)
    July 13, 2023 
    R&WS Research Team

‘Londoners view the ULEZ in a similar way as the congestion charge. 58% say they support the existence of the ULEZ in London, while 24% say they are opposed.’

‘Support for expanding the ULEZ is slightly higher than is the case with the Congestion Charge, with a larger plurality (47%) coming out in support of expanding the zone and 32% opposed to the idea.’

When you consider the well organised campaign against ULEZ those figure might seem surprising. 
    I suspect as with the congestion charge the number supporting ULEZ will grow as people adapt to it. 
    It also shows that politicians can make a small difference in the fight against climate change. 
    The mayor’s team didn’t handle the PR campaign at all well, and the implementation was clumsy and hurried. I expect that’s because he didn’t want the launch to be close to the date of the election. Unless there a post ULEZ backlash I think his polling numbers will probably improve next year, if they can show ULEZ is improving the air and reducing harmful emissions. 

Yes, and I agree with Ulez, and am fortunate enough to own an unleaded car, and if you dig deeper into those that support it, it might be that they’re not going to be impacted financially by Ulez.  I’m not for any of those idiots pulling down cameras, but so many people drive diesel cars and don’t have the money to buy unleaded/electric regardless of the scrappage scheme.  You’ve also got to factor in a chip shortage that has impacted supply of new vehicles, the exorbitant cost of leasing, and all the other cost of living increases, and this £12.50 is yet another expense that many see is unwarranted.  

It’s not that the idea is bad, but the execution has been poor and to be honest, I think Khan is lucky London has the demographic it does and a poor level of opposing candidates from the Tories to go up against (this latest one is probably one of the worst yet) as he would’ve been toast long ago.

For me, it’s an own goal of sorts and let’s the lunatic climate deniers dig their heels in 
  • Right, literally one of the worst cities in the country for pollution, vast amounts of China are significantly better than that. I can’t remember the last time I saw Kunming at +40
    50 isn’t too bad mate. 
  • Stig said:
    swordfish said:
    Pretty shitty reading this thread as someone in their 20s. I find older generations are quick enough to slag of my generation but not got the balls to own up to what their generations have done to our planet.

Untrue to say no effort, but not enough. 

I actually wonder if all COP delegates should be under a certain age, only those for whom the devastating effects of climate change will seriously impair their lives.

Too many of the deniers, the nimbys, the self serving on the payroll of the oil companies, and the "don't care coz I won't be here brigade" are driving the effort to deal with climate change through token gestures.

We live in a world where oil companies have the audacity to proudly boast about their efforts to be environmentally friendly because they use eco friendly paint on their oil tankers. It beggars belief.
    I don't think anyone should be ruled in or ruled out on the basis of their age. For me there are two key things that should decide anyone's role: 1. Their commitment to the cause 2. Their personal abilities to lead and represent us. I just listened to a very impressive man on the radio (at least, he was impressive in this one interview). That man is called Lord Deben. Now, I didn't know who Lord Deben was, so I googled him. He's an 83 year old Conservative who was a cabinet minister (indeed he was Party Chairman) when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister. For those old enough to remember, you may know him as John Selwyn Gummer. I personally was very surprised both at how passionately he spoke and how critical of the Government he was. He called Sunak's u-turn dangerous, he criticised Cameron's back tracking in the green agenda, and he outline a number of very sensible measures including taxing private avaition and taking the tax off of electric vehicle charging. I would think this octogenarian from the other end of the political spectrum to me would be very good as a representative. 
    Fair comment. I wasn't implying that anyone over a certain age fitted into one of the categories I described. It's just more likely.
  • Johnson has just voiced his vehement opposition to sunak's change. This is all sunak vs johnson, screw the rest of us. 
    But it wont 'screw' us unless people vote them back in.

Depending on what detail is actually announced seems quite easy to me for Labour to say they will immediately reverse and then no real change (damage) has resulted in the relatively short time left before the election. It will be very difficult fir Labour not to win the election after all & hence industry will surely factor that in.

If however it is more 'tweaks' that may have some value we may be worrying over nothing & its more window dressing than any major change.